Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 108. (Read 34166 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 06, 2018, 04:48:31 PM

I have 7 of these 12/13 GPU rigs in the farm and .... yes it is fun building these rigs but you need plenty of power for them and well ventilated. All of them are with the Deltas 2400w and housed in the center of the farm so that I can use the air extractor on them during the hot days. These rigs are the hottest in terms of temps and hash power. Ironically these rigs are the only ones that are hanging like bats and since they are stable, they will likely remain with risers. Multiple 8 x GPU riserless rigs are ideal for density and can fully populate open cage metal racks and make use the of floor fans effectively. I dont forsee doing anymore AMD rigs (exception of the Vega rigs) because the NVIDIAs are a blessing - always works, easy to control voltage and very stable in most cases.

So lessons learnt - the bigger the rigs, the bigger the issues in PSU requirements, cooling strategy, cabling, stabilizing them.... a golden rule : stability, cool temps and consistent submission of shares to the pool's stratum server are more important than achieving the meanest powerful, fastest rigs that requires constant babysitting. If you have a large farm -- undervolting is very very key - forget the world GPU speed record.

That's one of the reasons I'm sticking with my 5-card rigs - relative ease of assembly/management/troubleshooting.

The primary reason of course is "I already HAVE a bunch of MB/CPU/RAM/HD" so the cost is already sunk on the infrastructure, and it's going to be a WHILE before I have to worry about buying more infrastructure stuff.

legendary
January 06, 2018, 04:44:33 PM

Does it NEED those P106's though? Can it run 16 cards (8 nvidia and 8 AMD)?

If I remember correctly BBT started with p106's and started adding normal GPU's to max it out instead of the other way around.  I would check the latest BIOS/chipset drivers for updates on compatibilty, but 8 normal Nvidia and 8 amd should work fine, or start with 13 AMD and add Nvidia one at a time.  The worst part of that board is the crazy loading times and then trying to load OC values after that.  Seems more feasible to stick with 8-13 GPU motherboards.

Manual specifies 13 "normal" cards max.

I'm still trying to figure out WHY that limitation exists, there is no LOGICAL reason for it.
legendary
January 06, 2018, 04:43:29 PM

btw, this Intel chip flaw thing.... now that changes everything .... will mining rigs be impacted?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-01-05/apple-says-chip-flaw-hits-all-macs-iphones-ipads-video

Not to any real degree IF at all - it's an issue about "protecting code / data from other code running on the same machine in a different userspace.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
January 06, 2018, 04:32:06 PM

If I do a signature again  it would be for smos  btw he is in my signature  for free $0 no payment.

Thanks Phil, you just reminded me to post in his thread, I've only been asking for Alexis ccminer for 6 months now. OS is good decent an all, but really REALLY shitty slow support.

Pulling 68 Mh/s on an smos rig, and 85 Mh/s on windows using the proper miner.

Activity: 140
Merit: 17
January 06, 2018, 04:23:45 PM

i use this as well. works great. search for "add2psu" there are several variants but all work the same. uses a relay powered by the master psu to switch on the slave psu.

just beware i hear there are cheap knockoffs.
I moved to this style instead:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DQJY8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a version for 3 PSUs I'm not finding now that it's IMHO much better than using 2 Add2PSU
Activity: 786
Merit: 1000
January 06, 2018, 04:13:43 PM
One of my friends is getting his hands on a 19-slot mobo... Funny thing is he has no idea how to set up the damn thing.

What's the latest on Windows' support for more than 8 GPUs of the same brand? Would I have to set him up a Linux distro if he wanted to run 19 GPUs on that mobo? Or is 16 doable under Win10? I wasn't recommending that mobo to him due to the major point of failure risk... but hey ho he went for it. Now I can see myself setting it up for him... Cheesy

That board needs 6 x P106 Mining card, as pre-req to work.

See full rig setup by BBT here  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUoqnUqk9M

He did it with Win10 - 19 x GPUs

If I remember correctly BBT started with p106's and started adding normal GPU's to max it out instead of the other way around.  I would check the latest BIOS/chipset drivers for updates on compatibilty, but 8 normal Nvidia and 8 amd should work fine, or start with 13 AMD and add Nvidia one at a time.  The worst part of that board is the crazy loading times and then trying to load OC values after that.  Seems more feasible to stick with 8-13 GPU motherboards.
I agree, and that's what I told him. Easier to manage 2-3 smaller mobos than this juggernaught which will probably end up being a massive pain in the ass.

Everyone's jumping onto the mining bandwagon nowadays. Got colleagues at work flocking to me as they hear I'm into crypto. Helped one of them ordering parts. My plumber/electrician has setup a rig and I was walking him through how to get his mined coins out of Suprnova into his Coinomi wallet! Cheesy

I have 7 of these 12/13 GPU rigs in the farm and .... yes it is fun building these rigs but you need plenty of power for them and well ventilated. All of them are with the Deltas 2400w and housed in the center of the farm so that I can use the air extractor on them during the hot days. These rigs are the hottest in terms of temps and hash power. Ironically these rigs are the only ones that are hanging like bats and since they are stable, they will likely remain with risers. Multiple 8 x GPU riserless rigs are ideal for density and can fully populate open cage metal racks and make use the of floor fans effectively. I dont forsee doing anymore AMD rigs (exception of the Vega rigs) because the NVIDIAs are a blessing - always works, easy to control voltage and very stable in most cases.

So lessons learnt - the bigger the rigs, the bigger the issues in PSU requirements, cooling strategy, cabling, stabilizing them.... a golden rule : stability, cool temps and consistent submission of shares to the pool's stratum server are more important than achieving the meanest powerful, fastest rigs that requires constant babysitting. If you have a large farm -- undervolting is very very key - forget the world GPU speed record.

Excellent summary. My biggest rigs have 7 and 8 GPUs. They are stable now - but were more hassle than my 6 GPU rigs.

The 8 GPU rig is on a Biostar MoBo and can be increased to 12 GPUs fairly easily. However, I just don't feel comfortable with more risers.

I really like the idea of the riserless 8 GPU Mobos. I had no luck on my first attempt with the ONDA board... but will get the courage to try again.

I think in the future, I may have to send GPU rigs to a host site with cheaper electricity than I pay...ie: in order to be able to make a profit. That means I will need a riser less rig in a decent case with good stability, cooling etc.

From what I've read, I'm still not comfortable with the idea of buying from Pandaminer and their competitors and then sending them to a host site in Labrador. Perhaps someone (AT Miner?) will come up with a good rig in an enclosed case yet? In the meantime, I'll enjoy trying to develop my own.

EDIT: I meant  Autominer -not AT Miner. Looking forward to Phil's review!
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 06, 2018, 03:41:06 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the various server PSUs on ebay?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2400W-10GPU-Mining-Power-Supply-For-Eth-Rig-Ethereum-BTC-Miner-Dedicated-90-PLUS/352236174282?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D986116ef2daf49a8935ce44d07305446%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D263420036873&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad3593131-f315-11e7-b1b1-74dbd1802c4f%257Cparentrq%253Acce55ef91600ab66f206ed05ffec64f5%257Ciid%253A1

It looks like its just housing two HP Server PSUs, my only issue would be with the reliability of the wires as opposed to a breakout board option.

With Parallel miner having no stock I was hoping someone else had some ideas on server PSUs, in Canada a lot of the ATX PSU deals are pricey after shipping

dont know looks interesting
Activity: 71
Merit: 0
January 06, 2018, 03:19:27 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the various server PSUs on ebay?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2400W-10GPU-Mining-Power-Supply-For-Eth-Rig-Ethereum-BTC-Miner-Dedicated-90-PLUS/352236174282?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D986116ef2daf49a8935ce44d07305446%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D263420036873&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad3593131-f315-11e7-b1b1-74dbd1802c4f%257Cparentrq%253Acce55ef91600ab66f206ed05ffec64f5%257Ciid%253A1

It looks like its just housing two HP Server PSUs, my only issue would be with the reliability of the wires as opposed to a breakout board option.

With Parallel miner having no stock I was hoping someone else had some ideas on server PSUs, in Canada a lot of the ATX PSU deals are pricey after shipping
legendary
January 06, 2018, 03:07:03 PM
It is just that I had a lot of offers from sleazy  ICO for signatures.
Many pump and dump offers  have been sent to me. I don't take them.

I don't think it is wise to sell your signature to an ICO company.

I am not  saying you broke rules  just trying to offer a word of caution.

with some icos being classed as securities by the sec i wonder if people promoting them in sigs could get into trouble.

no real clue about the legalities of it all but its probably something to consider.

yeah  I fear this problem  and do not list any ICO
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 06, 2018, 03:00:37 PM

i use this as well. works great. search for "add2psu" there are several variants but all work the same. uses a relay powered by the master psu to switch on the slave psu.

just beware i hear there are cheap knockoffs.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
January 06, 2018, 02:49:43 PM
Hey everyone... so I am looking at this 1500W Rosewill PSU (originally brought to my attention by Phil) to support a 1070ti build but have what is probably a stupid question...

All of my other PSUs (Rosewill and EVGA) have am 18+10 pin connector for main power. But, looking at this model, it doesn't have any port anywhere near that long.  It does appear to have 2 x 14pin slots, which still equals 28 pins total like the other, but just trying to make sure that the other end of this connector will still fit a standard Mobo as I have not seen this configuration before.

yeah it does  the wider end fits a standard mobo.

24 pins I thnk.  but tokamak  fit like normal on the motherboard side

and BTC is pushing 16500-17000

Thanks for confirming Phil... I was about to pull the trigger on 1-2 of these but then I saw these EVGA 750w G3's on sale for $99 after rebate.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438093

My question is, what kind of challenges are there with running 2 x 750w PSU's to power a rig?  Could I do something like power the Main & Molex Mobo + CPU and maybe 2 GPUs on 1 PSU, then 4 more GPU's on the 2nd PSU?

I am currently using this to bridge the gap between two psus:

https://www.parallelminer.com/product/dual-psu-adapter-board-to-connect-multiple-atx-power-supplies-via-24-pin-atx/
Activity: 103
Merit: 11
January 06, 2018, 02:48:03 PM

Yes, you end up losing more in unexpected downtime and troubleshooting. Better to be cool and steady than fast and hot. That's good advice even for those not running a large farm. I learned that with my SP20s.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
January 06, 2018, 02:43:34 PM
Hey everyone... so I am looking at this 1500W Rosewill PSU (originally brought to my attention by Phil) to support a 1070ti build but have what is probably a stupid question...

All of my other PSUs (Rosewill and EVGA) have am 18+10 pin connector for main power. But, looking at this model, it doesn't have any port anywhere near that long.  It does appear to have 2 x 14pin slots, which still equals 28 pins total like the other, but just trying to make sure that the other end of this connector will still fit a standard Mobo as I have not seen this configuration before.

yeah it does  the wider end fits a standard mobo.

24 pins I thnk.  but tokamak  fit like normal on the motherboard side

and BTC is pushing 16500-17000

Thanks for confirming Phil... I was about to pull the trigger on 1-2 of these but then I saw these EVGA 750w G3's on sale for $99 after rebate.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438093

My question is, what kind of challenges are there with running 2 x 750w PSU's to power a rig?  Could I do something like power the Main & Molex Mobo + CPU and maybe 2 GPUs on 1 PSU, then 4 more GPU's on the 2nd PSU?

legendary
January 06, 2018, 02:16:55 PM

with some icos being classed as securities by the sec i wonder if people promoting them in sigs could get into trouble.

no real clue about the legalities of it all but its probably something to consider.
legendary
January 06, 2018, 01:58:08 PM
Apologies if you feel I broke a rule, it wasn't my intention. I was merely pointing to the choice that is given to anyone around here and the easy possibility for long-standing members to make an extra buck or two.

I don't take any part per se. Just use the arbitrage opportunity that is given. Just like mining. Smiley

I don't consider it a rule violation.

If I do a signature again  it would be for smos  btw he is in my signature  for free $0 no payment.

In fact I pay him  for my 13-15 rigs.

and I don't ask him for coin or solicit gear or fiat from him.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
January 06, 2018, 12:44:53 PM
Apologies if you feel I broke a rule, it wasn't my intention. I was merely pointing to the choice that is given to anyone around here and the easy possibility for long-standing members to make an extra buck or two.

I don't take any part per se. Just use the arbitrage opportunity that is given. Just like mining. Smiley

Grin let's keep it simple dragonmike - Phil's thread is all about knowledge sharing - all these ICOs could be discussed sparingly but putting them in sigs etc is a bit much.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
January 06, 2018, 12:41:28 PM
One of my friends is getting his hands on a 19-slot mobo... Funny thing is he has no idea how to set up the damn thing.

What's the latest on Windows' support for more than 8 GPUs of the same brand? Would I have to set him up a Linux distro if he wanted to run 19 GPUs on that mobo? Or is 16 doable under Win10? I wasn't recommending that mobo to him due to the major point of failure risk... but hey ho he went for it. Now I can see myself setting it up for him... Cheesy

That board needs 6 x P106 Mining card, as pre-req to work.

See full rig setup by BBT here  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUoqnUqk9M

He did it with Win10 - 19 x GPUs

If I remember correctly BBT started with p106's and started adding normal GPU's to max it out instead of the other way around.  I would check the latest BIOS/chipset drivers for updates on compatibilty, but 8 normal Nvidia and 8 amd should work fine, or start with 13 AMD and add Nvidia one at a time.  The worst part of that board is the crazy loading times and then trying to load OC values after that.  Seems more feasible to stick with 8-13 GPU motherboards.
I agree, and that's what I told him. Easier to manage 2-3 smaller mobos than this juggernaught which will probably end up being a massive pain in the ass.

Everyone's jumping onto the mining bandwagon nowadays. Got colleagues at work flocking to me as they hear I'm into crypto. Helped one of them ordering parts. My plumber/electrician has setup a rig and I was walking him through how to get his mined coins out of Suprnova into his Coinomi wallet! Cheesy

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
January 06, 2018, 12:20:34 PM

legendary
January 06, 2018, 11:24:50 AM
For you long-standing members around here, I can only recommend you to get involved in the ICO signature campaigns. They're literally free money.

Example: I was carrying the BitClave ICO signature for approx 3 weeks. All I had to do is register on their bounties page and subsequently start posting on bitcointalk. 1-3 posts a day is all they need. At the end of the campaign I got credited with a whopping 14'403 tokens (CAT). Go check on coinmarketcap what they're worth today, a couple of weeks later...

Subsequently I just went to icorating.com, picked the next hyped up coin ICO (you can sort by hype score Cheesy) and came back here to get involved exactly the same way.

Since I come here daily and contribute anyway, it's literally free money, it takes zero effort.

The higher your forum rank, the higher the amount of stakes your receive.

Fellas, get involved.

Yeah  quoted you  but deleted the post.

I did signatures, but just too many sleazy  promoters.

I would not do  one at the moment.  I used to use the coin to run my give away  diff pick threads.

Also  since it is more money then ever  it could lead to trouble if the ICO is run by enemies of the country you live in.
legendary
January 06, 2018, 11:15:12 AM
For you long-standing members around here, I can only recommend you to get involved in the ICO signature campaigns. They're literally free money.

Example: I was carrying the BitClave ICO signature for approx 3 weeks. All I had to do is register on their bounties page and subsequently start posting on bitcointalk. 1-3 posts a day is all they need. At the end of the campaign I got credited with a whopping 14'403 tokens (CAT). Go check on coinmarketcap what they're worth today, a couple of weeks later...

Subsequently I just went to icorating.com, picked the next hyped up coin ICO (you can sort by hype score Cheesy) and came back here to get involved exactly the same way.

Since I come here daily and contribute anyway, it's literally free money, it takes zero effort.

The higher your forum rank, the higher the amount of stakes your receive.

Fellas, get involved.

eeeew, no thanks. i have never wore a coin/token sig and do not intend to unless its something i completely understand and absolutely believe in. iow, nothing so far.

i have sigs disabled and the forum is a much cleaner and nicer place without them.

please note im not knocking or judging you, i assume you research your stuff and believe in it. but its not for me.

btw i get pms from people asking me to join ico and sig campaigns. they go right in the trash and the user gets on my ignore list.

Jump to: