Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 110. (Read 34166 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 05, 2018, 06:33:39 PM
okay still waiting on multiple items

The 13 gpus in a case from Germany for test and review. ---------------- supposed to ship maybe next week
6 more little moonlander 2 usb sticks  will solo mine them LTC/DOGE --- late  jan
1 msi rma --------------------------------------------- they received the return
1 msi 1080 ti seahawk/hybrid ----------------------- it is in Alaska maybe this monday
1 evga 1080 hybrid ---------------------------------- ordered dec 27th not yet shipped
1 zotac 1070 mini ------------------------------------ ordered dec 25th not yet shipped
5 onda j1800 mobos + 5 onda b250 mobos -------- dhl says this monday
Activity: 378
Merit: 197
January 05, 2018, 06:30:34 PM
Its -25 here.  The fedex guy left a 1080ti in a box outside for hours.  I opened it, now it is covered in moisture. 

I don't want to wait hours,so should I  hold it in front of the Avalon exhaust for a while?
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
January 05, 2018, 06:25:49 PM
One of my friends is getting his hands on a 19-slot mobo... Funny thing is he has no idea how to set up the damn thing.

What's the latest on Windows' support for more than 8 GPUs of the same brand? Would I have to set him up a Linux distro if he wanted to run 19 GPUs on that mobo? Or is 16 doable under Win10? I wasn't recommending that mobo to him due to the major point of failure risk... but hey ho he went for it. Now I can see myself setting it up for him... Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 05, 2018, 06:08:10 PM
I love SSDs and installed probably 40 of them last year for customers in my IT business.  And, my first two rigs have them.  But, the two new ones I'm working on I'm throwing in some used laptop hard drives simply because I have those on hand and don't have any SSDs in stock.  So other than a little bit of boot speed and shaving off a few watts of power consumption, is there any reason why SSDs are so popular in mining rigs?

changing drivers,  re configuring or installing new miners, os updates (if thats your thing, i do, even on mining rigs), general maintenance, install new/different OS, all fly on ssds. my time is worth more than the 50 bucks for a 120 gig ssd.

i cant stand waiting around for rigs to finish doing whatever when i could be, well doing something, anything else.

Dunno why you would be doing much if any "changing drivers, reconfiguring" and such on working rigs.

Definitely a time saver on NEW rigs I grant - DD to clone a drive runs SO MUCH FASTER when a SSD is involved.

just rebuilt my old rig into the onda b250 board (win10) with new cards, so starting over so to speak. my previous rig ran for weeks/months with no input. aside from miner updates.

with the onda rig im often trying new miners (new to the nvidia scene and its stuff, which results in crashes with bugged miners, clocks and powerlimits i am still dialing in), occasionally ill try new drivers, os updates. trying a few oc utils (looking for a good command line version, hate gui ones.. uninstall one, install another, repeat..). so all in all not much but id rather not wait around while it happens. 3-4 grand on a miner.. whats 50 bucks more?

my 1st ssd was the intel X25-M 80 gig back in 07 or 08 (and it still is running in a laptop). havent built a rig of any kind with a spinner for its os since (well the freenas box has 2 usb drives in raid 1 for the os).

sure spinners work in rigs fine and probably everyone has them just lying around from upgrades (I have probably 20 old HDs in the basement)  but im getting old, ornery and decrepit, time is worth more than money at my age.
legendary
January 05, 2018, 05:38:19 PM
Thanks guys, great help  Cheesy wishing you all a prosperous 2018!
DO NOT BUY THE EVGA 750GQ's!! THEY ARE CRAP!!!!

Seriously, I've rma'd two of them in the space of 2 months. They are not built to sustain high, constant load. The G2's are a lot better but do yourself a favour and AVOID THE GQ!!!!!

never used them  good to know this issue
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
January 05, 2018, 05:30:28 PM
Thanks guys, great help  Cheesy wishing you all a prosperous 2018!
DO NOT BUY THE EVGA 750GQ's!! THEY ARE CRAP!!!!

Seriously, I've rma'd two of them in the space of 2 months. They are not built to sustain high, constant load. The G2's are a lot better but do yourself a favour and AVOID THE GQ!!!!!
Activity: 350
Merit: 10
January 05, 2018, 05:28:39 PM

The article also says that Baikal partnered with Samsung... that's good news.  I really like the fact that their ASICs can do multiple algos.  Baikal have also been first to market for novel algorithm ASICs, so your 1GH Monero miner might not be far off.

But the bigger news was that Bitmain will be using TSMC's 7nm process this year.  We should see some nice incremental ASICs from Bitmain, like maybe an S10, L4, or D4.

If this is true then the miners will have a very powerful and effective helper to exploit the coin. I believe in the cooperation of Baikan and Samsung, these two companies are extremely strong in the field of technology. I hope the cooperation project will be successful so that I can experience that product.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
January 05, 2018, 05:25:31 PM
happy new years all of you, and thank for the precious information on the thread,
Activity: 48
Merit: 1
January 05, 2018, 05:20:32 PM
Thanks guys, great help  Cheesy wishing you all a prosperous 2018!
legendary
January 05, 2018, 05:08:51 PM

10k chips a month - which is barely enough for what,  600 miners?

DROP IN THE BUCKET.

that assumes very high yield .

they may build some for replacing dead hash nest gear.

remember they still have s-7 hashnest  gear
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 05, 2018, 05:08:11 PM
I'm got one of the Onda 6 gpu boards with integrated CPU on the way, and need to get a power supply for it to power 6x 1060 3gbs.

I was thinking about using one of these EVGA 750w GQs https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-V1

Its got the 3x molex I need for the board, plenty of sata and 6x 6+2 pin connectors for the GPUs. Also 750w should be fine right? My other 1060s are pulling around 80-90w so seems like I'll sit around 80% utilisation.

My other thought is the one molex branch with 3x connections going to handle powering 3 slots? And should I run all 3 sata off one branch?

rule of thumb is no more than 2 sata used per string or 2 molex used per string.

Depends on the wiring too - sometimes ONE per string is pushing limits for the wiring.

3 per string = pretty much GUARENTEED melting wires.
legendary
January 05, 2018, 05:06:41 PM
I'm got one of the Onda 6 gpu boards with integrated CPU on the way, and need to get a power supply for it to power 6x 1060 3gbs.

I was thinking about using one of these EVGA 750w GQs https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-V1

Its got the 3x molex I need for the board, plenty of sata and 6x 6+2 pin connectors for the GPUs. Also 750w should be fine right? My other 1060s are pulling around 80-90w so seems like I'll sit around 80% utilisation.

My other thought is the one molex branch with 3x connections going to handle powering 3 slots? And should I run all 3 sata off one branch?

rule of thumb is no more than 2 sata used per string or 2 molex used per string.

I think this is it

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-V1

it has 4 pcie jacks
so  to have 6  6+2  

it may have 2 single head and 2 double head

or 0 single head and 3 double head.

Correct, it has 2 single head and 2 double head for the pcie strings, I already have one of the units powering 2 Vega 56 and 1 Vega 64.

I think should should be fine to power the 1x6 pin on each of the 6 1060 3gbs.

So if only using max 2x sata or molex per string, I am 1 molex connection short, unless I use a sata to molex adapter from a spare sata string?

if you have a meter and check  the 3 sata jacks and the perf jack  are the same.

so 4 jacks are good.

if you have 3 sata cables and 1 molex cable.

do 1 molex for two molex on mobo ------------------------------------------------- 2 mobo connections
do 1 sata for a sata on mobo and use an adapter to do the last molex ----------- 2 mobo connections

do 1 sata for a sata on the mobo
do 1 sata for a sata on the mobo

watch the 2 cables doing 2 connections   do a little lower tdp in the beginning
legendary
January 05, 2018, 05:06:28 PM
I love SSDs and installed probably 40 of them last year for customers in my IT business.  And, my first two rigs have them.  But, the two new ones I'm working on I'm throwing in some used laptop hard drives simply because I have those on hand and don't have any SSDs in stock.  So other than a little bit of boot speed and shaving off a few watts of power consumption, is there any reason why SSDs are so popular in mining rigs?

changing drivers,  re configuring or installing new miners, os updates (if thats your thing, i do, even on mining rigs), general maintenance, install new/different OS, all fly on ssds. my time is worth more than the 50 bucks for a 120 gig ssd.

i cant stand waiting around for rigs to finish doing whatever when i could be, well doing something, anything else.

Dunno why you would be doing much if any "changing drivers, reconfiguring" and such on working rigs.

Definitely a time saver on NEW rigs I grant - DD to clone a drive runs SO MUCH FASTER when a SSD is involved.

legendary
January 05, 2018, 05:05:00 PM

10k chips a month - which is barely enough for what,  600 miners?

DROP IN THE BUCKET.
legendary
January 05, 2018, 05:03:19 PM

2 1070
 0 1070 ti
 0 1080
 1 and perhaps 2 1080 ti models in stock (can't tell for sure on the "members exclusive one".

That's ALL that EVGA had in stock on their web page just now.

3 or 4 models TOTAL across all 4 types of GPU out of 49 models they have in that range.

Worse they have yet to ship my gear ordered on the 26th of dec    9 day delay = unacceptable

Part of that would have been their "holiday" schedual.
 Were they even open on the 26'th?

Activity: 48
Merit: 1
January 05, 2018, 04:47:41 PM

I think this is it

it has 4 pcie jacks
so  to have 6  6+2  

Correct, it has 2 single head and 2 double head for the pcie strings, I already have one of the units powering 2 Vega 56 and 1 Vega 64.

I think should should be fine to power the 1x6 pin on each of the 6 1060 3gbs.

So if only using max 2x sata or molex per string, I am 1 molex connection short, unless I use a sata to molex adapter from a spare sata string?
legendary
January 05, 2018, 04:38:05 PM

The article also says that Baikal partnered with Samsung... that's good news.  I really like the fact that their ASICs can do multiple algos.  Baikal have also been first to market for novel algorithm ASICs, so your 1GH Monero miner might not be far off.

But the bigger news was that Bitmain will be using TSMC's 7nm process this year.  We should see some nice incremental ASICs from Bitmain, like maybe an S10, L4, or D4.

note that the 7nm  is expected   not a done deal.

the 100k  12nm chips are a done deal

so 10k chips a month  for the 10-12nm  each month  is really not much.

lets say  72% yield that is 7.2k  and 180 chips a miner is 400 s-11's per month  so for now I am not impressed or concerned .

they will not have more then 5000 10-12 nm miners  for the entire 2018 year.

and why is that?

the s-9 is a fucking unreal money maker and there is zero need for a new miner as I type.
Activity: 700
Merit: 294
January 05, 2018, 04:18:58 PM

legendary
January 05, 2018, 03:35:34 PM

I think this is it

it has 4 pcie jacks
so  to have 6  6+2 

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 05, 2018, 02:48:16 PM

Jump to: