Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 63. (Read 34166 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100
February 19, 2018, 08:28:12 PM

2x the licenses

licenses for what exactly? Every machine we run Win10 w/0 activation, it's not needed, at all.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
February 19, 2018, 05:12:54 PM
We were able to get a pair of Rx 580 4gb GPUs for about $320 each. This price includes an 8% ebay Bucks code.  I can't justify paying the price that most are charging for them but at $320 I thought it was a fair deal.

They should arrive tomorrow and join 6 Rx 480 8gb GPUs in our new Octominer riser free motherboard. The RAM for it should get here tomorrow as well so we will finally have all the parts needed to start testing.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
February 19, 2018, 04:53:18 PM
I could see them doing well if 350 or less.
That's pretty much my sweet spot. Under $350 shipped is an insta-buy.

There is an argument that 2 of them are as good as a 1080ti.

I just sold  the only 2 I ever had of them  I am pretty much all  nvida at the moment.
Snagged (2) 570's for ~ $720 today.

Pros against a 1080ti:
Will do ~58MHs ETH (hot!)
Will do ~1600 cryptonight (hot!)
Less than 200w (not hot!)
No nVidia algo is super profitable atm

Cons vs 1080ti:
2x more risers
2x more slots
2x more cables
2x the licenses
2x the potential issues
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 19, 2018, 04:34:34 PM

There is an argument that 2 of them are as good as a 1080ti.

I just sold  the only 2 I ever had of them  I am pretty much all  nvida at the moment.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
February 19, 2018, 01:08:47 PM
legendary
February 19, 2018, 01:05:02 PM
I know some of you don't like the hassle of the AMD GPUs... But I must say my two rigs of RX 570's are still going strong today, mining ETH+Blake2s and have earned their cost many times over since April.

Now that stock is back in those GPUs (albeit at a higher price), I was wondering if it would be a good idea to build a couple more rigs... or if the reliance on ETH (and the risk of it going PoS) is getting too hot to handle...

At around $350, those GPUs are still a lot of bang for the buck compared to anything nVidia currently. Sure, one would have to flash the vbios, but today, these low-timing vbioses are widely available and support for multi-GPU is a lot better than it was early last year. It would be a formality to set up.

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
February 19, 2018, 12:36:21 PM
I know some of you don't like the hassle of the AMD GPUs... But I must say my two rigs of RX 570's are still going strong today, mining ETH+Blake2s and have earned their cost many times over since April.

Now that stock is back in those GPUs (albeit at a higher price), I was wondering if it would be a good idea to build a couple more rigs... or if the reliance on ETH (and the risk of it going PoS) is getting too hot to handle...

At around $350, those GPUs are still a lot of bang for the buck compared to anything nVidia currently. Sure, one would have to flash the vbios, but today, these low-timing vbioses are widely available and support for multi-GPU is a lot better than it was early last year. It would be a formality to set up.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
February 19, 2018, 03:49:21 AM
Gonna be finally powering on my D8P tonight.

Im testing an over-the-counter available in stock sodimm module.

It is supposedly rated for 1.2V, so I dont expect problems with it;  but then again, people have said the D8P can be picky.

Ill post results late tonight when I leave my parents house for home.

https://imgur.com/a/PWc98

Good luck

Went off without a hitch.  powered up right away and went into BIOS.  I don't have a cooler for the CPU quite yet, so I just set my TEC (Thermoelectric cooler) on it without any paste... just a heatsync, and gravity.   BIOS HW monitor showed 15*c....    I used the built in DVI plug to test on the first boot.  To power it I used a pico PSU thats around ~250W.  it's CPU power 12v wires barely reached (when stretched through the heatsync fins) and also barely reached the closest molex for slot 1/2.

So;  Good news on all fronts;  I finally have tested my board, as well as shown a good part number and SODIMM to compare for other compatible units.
legendary
February 18, 2018, 11:37:21 PM

It is supposedly rated for 1.2V, so I dont expect problems with it;  but then again, people have said the D8P can be picky.

Good luck
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
February 18, 2018, 10:49:52 PM

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
February 18, 2018, 10:25:01 PM
I'm up to 15 GPU rigs and 2 S9's.

I started out using nvOC, but the lack of central management really started bothering me once I got past 10 rigs.

So I got Awesome Miner and played with it for a while and purchased a license good for 20 miners.  At first I kept the rigs themselves on nvOC (Ubuntu) and then configured each miner in Awesome Miner as an external miner.  In this mode, Awesome Miner can only monitor the rigs and not actually change coins, or OC settings or anything like that.

Next I started to convert my rigs over to Windows, which meant getting more powerful CPU's and larger SSD's for some of my rigs.  It was a pain, but once done, I now had full control over all the rigs and could switch pools/coins with a couple of clicks across some or all miners.  The dashboards are very nice looking and I'm able to apply OC setting on a large scale.   I also like that Awesome Miner can manage my S9's.  Granted I only have 2 of those and they pretty much mind their own business, but having all my profit generating devices in a single dashboard is kinda cool.  I also have some servers with powerful 14 core CPU's that produce a decent return on Cryptonight.  I can manage those within Awesome Miner as well.

Then a couple of days ago I decided to upgrade nvidia video drivers on all the rigs and what a royal pain that was across 15 windows boxes.  Some of them didn't take and I had to haul a monitor around to connect to them to see what was going on.  This was the case on my Onda and Colorful boards, and one of my Asus PRIME Z270A boards too (this particular one had 9 1080Ti's on it).

So I decided to check out SMOS, and I'm impressed with it so far.  It is a lot more limited in functionality compared to Awesome Miner, but the fact that the actual rigs are running Ubuntu over windows is a huge plus.  I don't like that the only control option is via the cloud dashboard.  I wish there was an option to run it on a local server.  I can VPN into my network from anywhere if need be.  The SMOS dashboard is no where near as comprehensive as what you can do in Awesome Miner, but it covers the basics.

To me the perfect system would be a feature rich front end like Awesome Miner, with linux based backend GPU rigs.

Next time I go on vacation, all my rigs will be on SMOS, that's for sure.  To switch I just pull the Windows SSD, insert SMOS USB, switch mobo to use internal graphics, and off I go.  Going back to windows is a simple matter of reversing the process.

Have you checked out HiveOS?
legendary
February 18, 2018, 10:22:29 PM

I started out using nvOC, but the lack of central management really started bothering me once I got past 10 rigs.

So I got Awesome Miner and played with it for a while and purchased a license good for 20 miners.  At first I kept the rigs themselves on nvOC (Ubuntu) and then configured each miner in Awesome Miner as an external miner.  In this mode, Awesome Miner can only monitor the rigs and not actually change coins, or OC settings or anything like that.

Next I started to convert my rigs over to Windows, which meant getting more powerful CPU's and larger SSD's for some of my rigs.  It was a pain, but once done, I now had full control over all the rigs and could switch pools/coins with a couple of clicks across some or all miners.  The dashboards are very nice looking and I'm able to apply OC setting on a large scale.   I also like that Awesome Miner can manage my S9's.  Granted I only have 2 of those and they pretty much mind their own business, but having all my profit generating devices in a single dashboard is kinda cool.  I also have some servers with powerful 14 core CPU's that produce a decent return on Cryptonight.  I can manage those within Awesome Miner as well.

Then a couple of days ago I decided to upgrade nvidia video drivers on all the rigs and what a royal pain that was across 15 windows boxes.  Some of them didn't take and I had to haul a monitor around to connect to them to see what was going on.  This was the case on my Onda and Colorful boards, and one of my Asus PRIME Z270A boards too (this particular one had 9 1080Ti's on it).

So I decided to check out SMOS, and I'm impressed with it so far.  It is a lot more limited in functionality compared to Awesome Miner, but the fact that the actual rigs are running Ubuntu over windows is a huge plus.  I don't like that the only control option is via the cloud dashboard.  I wish there was an option to run it on a local server.  I can VPN into my network from anywhere if need be.  The SMOS dashboard is no where near as comprehensive as what you can do in Awesome Miner, but it covers the basics.

To me the perfect system would be a feature rich front end like Awesome Miner, with linux based backend GPU rigs.

Next time I go on vacation, all my rigs will be on SMOS, that's for sure.  To switch I just pull the Windows SSD, insert SMOS USB, switch mobo to use internal graphics, and off I go.  Going back to windows is a simple matter of reversing the process.
 I have more then one rig in my home  that can do just that.And I set the omen gamer pc's up with smos and this usb stick

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-32GB-USB-3-0-FIT-Flash-Drive/46802252?

it is small and I don't worry about breaking it off accidentaly
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
February 18, 2018, 10:02:27 PM

So I decided to check out SMOS, and I'm impressed with it so far.  It is a lot more limited in functionality compared to Awesome Miner, but the fact that the actual rigs are running Ubuntu over windows is a huge plus.  I don't like that the only control option is via the cloud dashboard.  I wish there was an option to run it on a local server.  I can VPN into my network from anywhere if need be.  The SMOS dashboard is no where near as comprehensive as what you can do in Awesome Miner, but it covers the basics.

legendary
February 18, 2018, 09:29:43 PM
What do you guys think of Awesome miner for a farm of 15 rigs with 96 GPUs total? Linux is not an option for various reasons that are unique to us, so all systems are Windows based. Based on what I can see Awesome miner looks like it would be very handy for us and it appears to be fairly newbie friendly (important since the person that checks things the most is not very technically experienced with troubleshooting hardware/software).

I paid for a license just no time to really work with it.  It does seem to be able to do what you need.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
February 18, 2018, 08:24:28 PM
What do you guys think of Awesome miner for a farm of 15 rigs with 96 GPUs total? Linux is not an option for various reasons that are unique to us, so all systems are Windows based. Based on what I can see Awesome miner looks like it would be very handy for us and it appears to be fairly newbie friendly (important since the person that checks things the most is not very technically experienced with troubleshooting hardware/software).
legendary
February 18, 2018, 08:14:45 PM
2012. 33 gpus Mining  about 10 gh for. Btc on bitminter.

Earning 1 to 3 coins a day

No such thing as a powered riser.

So I had to check gear ten times a day .

I never ran more then six days with out a few boots.

Broke my ass.

Fought with my wife.   But. Even then I made a bit of money.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
February 18, 2018, 08:03:39 PM
To make a long story short, MSI AB was claiming it was changing the clocks of my RX 560s to 1200/1900, but GPU-Z was reporting they were still at the stock settings of 1295/1750. Inserting an HDMI dummy plug on the first card caused the desired clock values to show up in GPU-Z, Cryptonight hashrate increased by 11% overall (with most from the card with the dummy plug) and Ethash hashrate increased by 8% on the card with the dummy plug while remaining the same on the other 2.

I bought the one dummy plug for my first RX 570, but it didn't appear to need it so this may be specific to Baffin cards or because of the iGPU on the Celeron or even the Onda BIOS. Dunno, and since the dummy plug is a cheap solution I'm not going to worry too much about it.

cause you run windows.  those boards are not good for windows  if you want windows on slot boards use the 8 slot onda b250.

the d1800  is a great board  for smos

it is a less then great board for windows.

I've given SMOS a good hard look and I've concluded it isn't right for me at this time. This is because I am trying out lots of different things with two very different rigs to gain (hopefully valuable) experience and SMOS just isn't that flexible. It seems more suited to multi-rig farms where most if not all of the rigs are assigned one particular coin (or, at least, algorithm) and pretty much left on auto-pilot. Me, I've just got 5 rigs and 3 of those only have a single GPU, so I have to be a lot more nimble about what I am mining at any given time and I am still very much "learning on the job" here, as evidenced by my posts above!

I will definitely try out SMOS in the near future, but can't see deploying it in set-and-forget mode for several months, at least.

My group's GPU farm is set on algo mining --- so MPH and NH are ideal for this strategy. SMOS works very well and stable with both pools. The customization and tweaking actually lies mainly at function and features of the miner app (Claymore, tpruvot etc.) and not SMOS. But then again, the farms are now 96 x rigs strong and perhaps SMOS may not appear attractive if your have only a few rigs.

I have a few windows rigs but the smos is as high as 20 rigs and 100 cards.

No way am I doing 20 windows rig.

Phil, remember the days before SMOS... I cannot imagine getting a good night sleep if not for SMOS -- after 15 rigs, I switched all to Linux/SMOS - have never turn back since. I forget now how Windows looks like LOL.
legendary
February 18, 2018, 08:00:32 PM
To make a long story short, MSI AB was claiming it was changing the clocks of my RX 560s to 1200/1900, but GPU-Z was reporting they were still at the stock settings of 1295/1750. Inserting an HDMI dummy plug on the first card caused the desired clock values to show up in GPU-Z, Cryptonight hashrate increased by 11% overall (with most from the card with the dummy plug) and Ethash hashrate increased by 8% on the card with the dummy plug while remaining the same on the other 2.

I bought the one dummy plug for my first RX 570, but it didn't appear to need it so this may be specific to Baffin cards or because of the iGPU on the Celeron or even the Onda BIOS. Dunno, and since the dummy plug is a cheap solution I'm not going to worry too much about it.

cause you run windows.  those boards are not good for windows  if you want windows on slot boards use the 8 slot onda b250.

I've given SMOS a good hard look and I've concluded it isn't right for me at this time. This is because I am trying out lots of different things with two very different rigs to gain (hopefully valuable) experience and SMOS just isn't that flexible. It seems more suited to multi-rig farms where most if not all of the rigs are assigned one particular coin (or, at least, algorithm) and pretty much left on auto-pilot. Me, I've just got 5 rigs and 3 of those only have a single GPU, so I have to be a lot more nimble about what I am mining at any given time and I am still very much "learning on the job" here, as evidenced by my posts above!

I will definitely try out SMOS in the near future, but can't see deploying it in set-and-forget mode for several months, at least.

My group's GPU farm is set on algo mining --- so MPH and NH are ideal for this strategy. SMOS works very well and stable with both pools. The customization and tweaking actually lies mainly at function and features of the miner app (Claymore, tpruvot etc.) and not SMOS. But then again, the farms are now 96 x rigs strong and perhaps SMOS may not appear attractive if your have only a few rigs.

I have a few windows rigs but the smos is as high as 20 rigs and 100 cards.

No way am I doing 20 windows rig.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
February 18, 2018, 07:49:26 PM

At a single click I can divert my entire NVIDIA farm to mine a single coin using MRR's proxy server - for example - this achieved with MRR and the miner app, SMOS is just the rig mgmt system.
Activity: 420
Merit: 184
February 18, 2018, 07:13:58 PM

Pages:
Jump to: