Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 66. (Read 34166 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 101
February 13, 2018, 09:14:01 PM
Hi All,

Only have remote access to my rigs right now, so can't unplug and play with things.
But, I have recently switched back to mining Zec, and notice that GPU0 (GPU1 in MSI) won't go above 160w, making it hash lower than the rest of the cards on the rigs running at 200w.
Anybody experienced this issue that power % wont change in MSI / mining programs no matter what you set it to in MSI?

edit: only seems to happen with equihash (DSTM and EWBF). GPU0 is stuck at 64% power no matter where the slider is).
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
February 13, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
Our only experience with M.2 adapters so far has been using one from minerparts (based in TX). We've been very pleased with their service, so if you do want to try one out I'd recommend them over alibaba.

https://minerparts.com/product/pcie-4x-to-ngff-m-2-adapter-with-4-pin-power-cable/
Activity: 420
Merit: 184
February 13, 2018, 06:51:25 PM
my m2 adapter was pop then magic smoke all in an instant.

Now you know where my username comes from... I've been letting out the magic smoke for decades now!

But yeah, just because m.2 is compatible with PCIe from a bandwidth perspective doesn't mean you can pull the same power from it as a real PCIe slot. AMD cards, especially, tend to draw quite a bit of their power from the PCIe bus, even if they also have 6 or 8 pin connectors.
Activity: 729
Merit: 513
February 13, 2018, 05:57:37 PM
Hello everyone... I will be building a couple of rigs based on the Asus Prime Z270-A Mobo in the next few days and have a question about making use of the M.2 slot.

I understand that this slot can take a GPU via adapter.  I found this one at Ali Express that seems to be what I need, but was wondering if any of you have used this or have another recommendation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NGFF-M-2-to-PCI-E-X16-Slot-Adapter-Card-Mining-Riser-Card-1x-to-16x/32823390321.html

Thanks!

A word of advice... avoid using those M2 adapters - had an "fiery" experience with my first attempt, literally "smoked" right in front of me, and never tried anymore M2 adapters.

The culprit was the power cable that powers the adapter via molex from the PSU. Very poor quality those cables - probably recycled from power cables meant for floppy drives.

Given that this M2 slot (which is in fact designed for M2 storage) - these adapters was a workaround to add another PCI slot, likely something did not add up in power requirements, especially when you use cheapo M2 adapters onto reputable branded mobos.

I did see some builds in Youtube that works fine, especially the ones with white PCB vs the green ones. For low powered cards, seems that you dont even need to power the M2 adapter, to get the mobo to recognize the GPU.

I've just built 4 Rigs with 7x Nitro Rx580 each, using Gigabyte Z270P-D3. Instead of a SSD on M2 I used the M2 powerless adapter similar to the one from the link above. Until now I have no issues with them (running for 3 weeks now), but one M2 adapter from 5 came defect from shop. I've just ordered 20 more from China over ebay.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 13, 2018, 05:41:39 PM
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932029&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6163686&SID=jdkwz1w6qc011rh100053

Still available even after ~30 minutes of auto-notify. Granted, $70 over regular retail but still ~$150 cheaper than anywhere else.

out of stock  and all 9  of my gently used 1070's are gone.  sold for 500 each plus shipping.

yeah... shocked they even lasted 30-40 minutes to be honest. Maybe it's a sign supply may start to open up a bit... maybe not lol.  At least now i only need 1-2 more 1070ti's to complete my 2nd Nvidia rig.

Given the JUNK fans on those cards, I'm amazed they didn't last longer.
 I don't think I've had ONE Windforce 3-fan model where the fans all lasted a year (though my 1080 ti still has a few months to go before it hits that mark).

Activity: 558
Merit: 194
February 13, 2018, 05:30:08 PM
You don't use the power plug for any m.2 adapters if you use powered risers.  They also make straight USB 3.0 versions that have a usb plug instead of pcie 1x.

They also make ones with a mini-usb plug like this:

I got a couple of them.  With 008C revision risers no less.
Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
February 13, 2018, 05:22:01 PM
Hello everyone... I will be building a couple of rigs based on the Asus Prime Z270-A Mobo in the next few days and have a question about making use of the M.2 slot.

I understand that this slot can take a GPU via adapter.  I found this one at Ali Express that seems to be what I need, but was wondering if any of you have used this or have another recommendation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NGFF-M-2-to-PCI-E-X16-Slot-Adapter-Card-Mining-Riser-Card-1x-to-16x/32823390321.html

Thanks!

A word of advice... avoid using those M2 adapters - had an "fiery" experience with my first attempt, literally "smoked" right in front of me, and never tried anymore M2 adapters.

The culprit was the power cable that powers the adapter via molex from the PSU. Very poor quality those cables - probably recycled from power cables meant for floppy drives.

Given that this M2 slot (which is in fact designed for M2 storage) - these adapters was a workaround to add another PCI slot, likely something did not add up in power requirements, especially when you use cheapo M2 adapters onto reputable branded mobos.

I did see some builds in Youtube that works fine, especially the ones with white PCB vs the green ones. For low powered cards, seems that you dont even need to power the M2 adapter, to get the mobo to recognize the GPU.

You don't use the power plug for any m.2 adapters if you use powered risers.  They also make straight USB 3.0 versions that have a usb plug instead of pcie 1x.
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
February 13, 2018, 05:16:55 PM
I have 3 rigs with Asus PRIME Z270-A boards.  All 3 have 2 M.2 adapters installed so that each rig can run 9 GPUs.

I can confirm that power does not need to be connected to the M.2 adapters.  I haven't had any issues with mine, but I was very careful to center the adapter in the M.2 slots on the mobos.  It is a pretty loose fit and the pins are tiny, so being off center by like a 1/64th could be an issue.
Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
February 13, 2018, 05:07:31 PM

Smoked my first m.2 adapter a while ago (luckily turned it off quick enough to not damage anything else) have used over a 50 since problem free. The issue was, like you guessed, the power cables - DO NOT plug them in on m.2 adapters, not needed at all.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 13, 2018, 05:05:33 PM
my m2 adapter was pop then magic smoke all in an instant.

I do not recommend them.

I do not know how to pretest them so I consider them to be unfit for duty.

I decided to keep my rx 580's

I have some rx 560's To let go of.

I now have 31 or 32 1080ti's
Buysolar has 12 1080ti's

So that is  43-44 cards 

8 are in the omens
18 are water block

so those 26  are being kept .   

We may list  a lot of 1080ti's

MSTI0M91. MSI VCX GTX 1080 TI Aero 11G OC 11GB GDDR5 352B PCIE DL-DVI-D HDMI DPX2 RTL
Asus 1080ti

below with arrows I sold the 1070's in the center.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
February 13, 2018, 03:36:00 PM

I understand that this slot can take a GPU via adapter.  I found this one at Ali Express that seems to be what I need, but was wondering if any of you have used this or have another recommendation.

Thanks!

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
February 13, 2018, 02:53:37 PM

I understand that this slot can take a GPU via adapter.  I found this one at Ali Express that seems to be what I need, but was wondering if any of you have used this or have another recommendation.

Thanks!
February 12, 2018, 09:02:27 PM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932029&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6163686&SID=jdkwz1w6qc011rh100053

Still available even after ~30 minutes of auto-notify. Granted, $70 over regular retail but still ~$150 cheaper than anywhere else.

out of stock  and all 9  of my gently used 1070's are gone.  sold for 500 each plus shipping.

yeah... shocked they even lasted 30-40 minutes to be honest. Maybe it's a sign supply may start to open up a bit... maybe not lol.  At least now i only need 1-2 more 1070ti's to complete my 2nd Nvidia rig.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 12, 2018, 08:47:33 PM

out of stock  and all 9  of my gently used 1070's are gone.  sold for 500 each plus shipping.

I am shrinking the array  to 1080ti waterblocks only.
I am hoping to get 5 dragonmint miners soon.
I will keep the 3 omen pc's at my house. very happy with them so far.

I have 2  rx 580 8gb cards about 5-6 weeks old

I will sell the pair at 750 to anywhere in the usa  and  that includes shipping.

http://www.diamondmultimediastore.com/diamond-amd-rx580-video-card

that price is a very small markup for me   and far less then their website is selling them  for.

I have a 2 board s-9 old firmware 1350 some flex in that price.
I have a 3 board 12.3th s-9  was asking 2k  dropped to 1950 free usa shipping   I have flex in price.

I have a second 2 board s-9 on hold ------  with the original third board in it maybe it can be repaired.
February 12, 2018, 08:35:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
February 12, 2018, 08:35:38 PM
and I will clone the hdd to a large ssd using this cloner

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5WREA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?

Why buy a HW cloner when you can do it faster with free SW?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I have used this SW for over a year and love it. I use it to create nightly backup images of all of my Windows PCs to a backup server through the included scheduler. It can also clone any OS disk (including Ubuntu - nvOC) and even Windows Server if you boot from the PE image. If you want to roll out the same image to a bunch of machines, just create an image and then restore it multiple times.

Hope this helps.

yup ive used macrium reflect free for years. pretty much the same deal, all regular computers/notebooks get weekly image backups to raid 5 nas, and that is backed up to rotated HDs in my bank deposit box about once a month. nightly file backups are via syncback free to the nas.

love it for mining rigs, once i change a miner config and know its stable i do a new image backup to usb. if something goes south when im messing with it  i just reimage and its back up in 5 minutes.
legendary
February 12, 2018, 07:21:53 PM
and I will clone the hdd to a large ssd using this cloner

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5WREA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?

Why buy a HW cloner when you can do it faster with free SW?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I have used this SW for over a year and love it. I use it to create nightly backup images of all of my Windows PCs to a backup server through the included scheduler. It can also clone any OS disk (including Ubuntu - nvOC) and even Windows Server if you boot from the PE image. If you want to roll out the same image to a bunch of machines, just create an image and then restore it multiple times.

Hope this helps.

DD is even more "free" since it's a standard LINUX utility included in EVERY LINUX version released (to my knowlage) since at least Yggdrasil.

It will clone ANYTHING - though cloning a bigger drive to a smaller one will obviously have issues if you have too much data on the bigger drive.

legendary
February 12, 2018, 07:19:31 PM

That was my thought at first, then I realized that Bitmain would be competing against the likes of several companies with market caps in the $10B - $200B range and millions - literally millions - of already deployed GPUs. Oh, and you can bet those Bitmain miners will feature their legendary quality...  Tongue

So now I'm thinking this will be the proverbial tempest in a teapot.

To be fair, Bitmain qualtity didn't get BAD 'till they went 14nm - the S5 was 28nm and had good reliability.

Their quality DID drop some with the S7 and the major increase in power density AND move to "individual tiny heatsinks per chip" though.

legendary
February 12, 2018, 07:16:56 PM
I've been hearing "ETH is going PoS!!!" cry since I started mining almost a year ago..  Roll Eyes

Even IF they do eventually go PoS.. they'll most likely go hybrid at first..

That's already been announced, that they plan to go "1% PoS 99% PoW" at first for testing.
Pages:
Jump to: