Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 64. (Read 34166 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 18, 2018, 02:59:42 PM
Question for fellow Onda D1800 users: I just found out that AMD cards don't get along with the integrated GPU if the latter is enabled, but I've also read of quite a few horror stories about the external GPUs not outputting video if the iGPU is disabled on the Onda boards. Any advice on how or whether to proceed would be appreciated as my plan was to make one of these D1800 into a dedicated Cryptonight miner and I've already acquired (4) RX 560 for that purpose.

The D1800s are quite easy to deploy, I have older reference 580s, 1050tis, 1060s on XMR/Cryptonite with SMOS booting up without touching them BIOS settings, in production right now. The one condition that I discovered discussed here many posts ago was the first GPU must be a non-mining card (with video output), remaining cards can be mining cards.

Yes, I should clarify that my two D1800 have been working quite well - one filled out with GTX 1060's and the other getting filled out with RX 560s - but a comment made in another thread got me to do some more poking around and it turns out my RX 560s aren't working quite as well as they could (actually, I already knew that, but just assumed I got unlucky in the silicon lottery).

To make a long story short, MSI AB was claiming it was changing the clocks of my RX 560s to 1200/1900, but GPU-Z was reporting they were still at the stock settings of 1295/1750. Inserting an HDMI dummy plug on the first card caused the desired clock values to show up in GPU-Z, Cryptonight hashrate increased by 11% overall (with most from the card with the dummy plug) and Ethash hashrate increased by 8% on the card with the dummy plug while remaining the same on the other 2.

I bought the one dummy plug for my first RX 570, but it didn't appear to need it so this may be specific to Baffin cards or because of the iGPU on the Celeron or even the Onda BIOS. Dunno, and since the dummy plug is a cheap solution I'm not going to worry too much about it.

cause you run windows.  those boards are not good for windows  if you want windows on slot boards use the 8 slot onda b250.

the d1800  is a great board  for smos

it is a less then great board for windows.

the d1800  cost 99 bucks in bulk buys of 10 or more

it can do 5 1080ti hybrids  use a 4gb stick  and a 1000 watt corsair  rm1000x

do smos  set cards at 170 watts

or get a 1200 watt psu set cards at 190 watts

Using the d1800 for windows  is making a lot of difficulty

I look at it like this

100 for the board
 35  for a samsung stick of 4gb ram
140 for a corsair rm1000x psu

and the five hybrid cards  of course.
if you get the 1200 watt corsair  it will let your run the hybrids at 190  

I truly like the d1800  it allows cheap  setups for the 1080ti

you can get 3x of any aircooled 1080 ti

and push them hard like 210 watts

cost is

100 mobo
35 ram
111 corsair 850 watt psu  http://www.corsair.com/en-us/rmx-series-rm850x-850-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-psu-na-refurbished

246 run 3  of any 1080ti  cards harder  at 210 watts

all of this  kind of sucks with windows  and runs very good with smos.

here is a 3 card  smos d1800 with a 1080ti a 1080 a 1070

these rigs are flawless and run for weeks on end

Activity: 420
Merit: 184
February 18, 2018, 01:16:55 PM
Question for fellow Onda D1800 users: I just found out that AMD cards don't get along with the integrated GPU if the latter is enabled, but I've also read of quite a few horror stories about the external GPUs not outputting video if the iGPU is disabled on the Onda boards. Any advice on how or whether to proceed would be appreciated as my plan was to make one of these D1800 into a dedicated Cryptonight miner and I've already acquired (4) RX 560 for that purpose.

The D1800s are quite easy to deploy, I have older reference 580s, 1050tis, 1060s on XMR/Cryptonite with SMOS booting up without touching them BIOS settings, in production right now. The one condition that I discovered discussed here many posts ago was the first GPU must be a non-mining card (with video output), remaining cards can be mining cards.

Yes, I should clarify that my two D1800 have been working quite well - one filled out with GTX 1060's and the other getting filled out with RX 560s - but a comment made in another thread got me to do some more poking around and it turns out my RX 560s aren't working quite as well as they could (actually, I already knew that, but just assumed I got unlucky in the silicon lottery).

To make a long story short, MSI AB was claiming it was changing the clocks of my RX 560s to 1200/1900, but GPU-Z was reporting they were still at the stock settings of 1295/1750. Inserting an HDMI dummy plug on the first card caused the desired clock values to show up in GPU-Z, Cryptonight hashrate increased by 11% overall (with most from the card with the dummy plug) and Ethash hashrate increased by 8% on the card with the dummy plug while remaining the same on the other 2.

I bought the one dummy plug for my first RX 570, but it didn't appear to need it so this may be specific to Baffin cards or because of the iGPU on the Celeron or even the Onda BIOS. Dunno, and since the dummy plug is a cheap solution I'm not going to worry too much about it.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
February 18, 2018, 12:59:56 PM

February 18, 2018, 09:45:17 AM

February 18, 2018, 08:53:53 AM
The thread about the new batch is in my sig;   If you have suggestions on miner app versions; the algos those versions support, as well as what pools to support or features to add to mminer;  post em up in that thread, that way its kept with the project and easier than scrolling to this thread for the list, or loosing a text file among the 10's of terabytes stored at home....

I haven't seen a batch file this complicated in 20+ years... Not since the bad old days of having to tweak himem and qemm to get DESQview to work (in other words, pre-Windows 3.0)!

My first suggestion would be to provide some explanation as to what this batch file does* if for no other reason than so we can know what to expect from its operation, and when to intervene if something seems amiss. I'm not saying write a detailed "click on this button; press this key" type of description - mining is not for the moronic, after all** - but an overview would be nice.

My second suggestion upon cursory reading of the batch file is to ditch lbry - it is no longer practical to mine with a GPU due to the Baikal ASIC miner. Pascal, Sia, & Decred have also been ASIC'ed.

* - the readme.txt file included in the zip is empty, so perhaps there already is an explanation, it just got lost in transit.

** - except for NiceHash; it doesn't take much brains to get it running. No offense to NH users; I occasionally use it myself, too.  Tongue
legendary
February 18, 2018, 06:03:17 AM
Jared

sent you a pm
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
February 18, 2018, 04:58:55 AM
... this is what I get for being up all night last night... couldn't sleep.. ended up falling asleep around 3PM, and woke now near midnight for some reason?

It is working;  But the batch is based around zpool only ATM.  I know the masses want options for ZEC/ETH at the minimum.  Me personally, I have always shied away from them.  I really need to clean up the code,   I could probably cut 1/4 out of it and still have it function as it should since it no longer needs to be notated and easy to modify like the manual batch is.

I would have to get together the best miner app(S) for the major algos, as well as pools other than zpool;  especially for things like zec, zcl, cryptonight, etc.

I would also need to go against my personal grain and buy a few RX series cards and get the script supporting those.  Don't wanna, but gotta for the sake of everyone.

The new mminer works pretty well;  Works just like my manual batch, but it has the new updating feature.   Right now its set up to just mass update from my URL, with my updates, etc....  But I am working on a way for people to do their own deployments with it, and easily push the updates that I release manually themselves.   This way there is no broken link of trust between the miner app creator, and the miner themselves.

In all reality;  if a massive amount of people start using my mminer batch;  and lock to my update location;  I could theoretically push updates to them to have them do my bidding from wherever/whenever....   Not something I would ever do, but its possible for someone to do such a thing.   This is why I want to get my source onto github, because at lease a history of changes and updates will be kept that (hopefully) can't be tampered with.

And yep;  I am building and testing this inside windows 10.   I have already tested ~10 different update pushes to one of my personal miners; and so far, no hiccups.

SMOS's remote login/modify feature is nice;  I had no idea it had this ability....    Mine isn't be email based as email requires a service that is a lot less available/free than web-file hosting in a manner of speaking when it comes to user-control-ability.  If you have a dynamic DNS tied to one of your locations; and put a Pi up to service the updates and "control '.txt' files";  It would be easy for you to host the updates and control schism yourself =)   In my example/batch, i'm still using a tripod/lycos homepage URL from the 1990's.  But I do have a Pi in the position mentioned that acts as my personal VPN already =)

The thread about the new batch is in my sig;   If you have suggestions on miner app versions; the algos those versions support, as well as what pools to support or features to add to mminer;  post em up in that thread, that way its kept with the project and easier than scrolling to this thread for the list, or loosing a text file among the 10's of terabytes stored at home....

I don't really need a card for testing that I know of;  I can always yank one of these 960's out of my rackminer for a separate test machine, or something along those lines... but usually the rackminer is my test case itself.  If you have extra ti's that you wish to offload, well, I can try and work out a way to buy one....  Probably wanna keep that part in PM.  But at first thought, its not necessary as I don't want to be taking your profits unnecessarily Wink

*sorry if i seem jumbled right now;  I just woke up as mentioned above*
The past few days I have been juggling selling two cars, and buying an engine and trans for the F250 I was given.... on top of my needy chameleon keeping me occupied.
legendary
February 17, 2018, 08:44:21 PM
@phil and wheelz

I have a new miner batch script that allows manual updates/changes to algo/mining remotely;  and without logging into the individual machines themselves.  For windows machines.

I got my batch to be able to control other apps and be more versatile, In the future  wanted to be able to swap between different sites if need be...  I need to figure out if the nicehash miner has an auto-start function (im sure it would) so that its process can just be called and cancelled as necessary from the batch requiring no user intervention.... as well as add other major pool settings/configs...  I finally got the auto-updating to work properly, and have the right amount of recursiveness in it.  

One of my next major hurdles is making the config in one big file, and making the batch able to retrieve multiple variables from the single file;  rather than the individual files I am using now.

Premise:
upload a text file to a URL that contains one word;  the instruction for the miner to follow.
The miner app fetches the contents of this file and uses it as commands for what to do.
It also can update itself on the fly; as-in delete/add any missing/unnecessary miner apps missing from the system;  as well as update itself (its own batch code) as features are added.

For Wheelz:
I've been doing well with Lyra2v2, NIST5, Xevan, Skien, and equihash coins FWIW.

I can’t write scripts but if you need help with this let me know.

I can set up one pc with one or two 1080tis at my house for you to access.

I  can access wheelz two rigs with smos and switch algos for him.

I built two rigs for him with smos and use my email account with smos to change them.

If you can develop this with win10 it would be nice.

I can also ship a 1080 ti for you to play with.

Oh coins have topped 11k
legendary
February 16, 2018, 11:58:30 PM
@phil and wheelz

I have a new miner batch script that allows manual updates/changes to algo/mining remotely;  and without logging into the individual machines themselves.  For windows machines.

I got my batch to be able to control other apps and be more versatile, In the future  wanted to be able to swap between different sites if need be...  I need to figure out if the nicehash miner has an auto-start function (im sure it would) so that its process can just be called and cancelled as necessary from the batch requiring no user intervention.... as well as add other major pool settings/configs...  I finally got the auto-updating to work properly, and have the right amount of recursiveness in it. 

One of my next major hurdles is making the config in one big file, and making the batch able to retrieve multiple variables from the single file;  rather than the individual files I am using now.

Premise:
upload a text file to a URL that contains one word;  the instruction for the miner to follow.
The miner app fetches the contents of this file and uses it as commands for what to do.
It also can update itself on the fly; as-in delete/add any missing/unnecessary miner apps missing from the system;  as well as update itself (its own batch code) as features are added.

For Wheelz:
I've been doing well with Lyra2v2, NIST5, Xevan, Skien, and equihash coins FWIW.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
February 16, 2018, 11:00:17 PM
I have seen Evga issue new 980tis. So I suspect amd makes new rx 470s and new rx480s

Definitely later than June of 2017.
I bought a couple of MSI armor 470 8gb at the Microcenter in Sept and the manufactured date for both is 1707, which is July 2017.
legendary
February 16, 2018, 09:54:20 PM
Phil as you know in pretty new to gpu mining only couple months in last couple years ive been asic only.  With my mix of 1070 and 1080 nvidia cards what are some of the best coins to mine.  I know i know do research but i know some coins are better to mine with amd cards others with nvidia cards just getting a feel for the lay of the land

Nvidia and zec using smos are tried and true.

Windows offers  more choice for exotic coins and nvidia .

I like a mix of rigs windows and smos .

I mine more Zec on nicehash that converts into btc using nvidia.

Why? Most gear is at the solar array and I do not have full access 24/7

And smos doing zec at nicehash is very reliable. 

I was usin the 2 omen PCs with Windows and mining a shit coin til this morning. I then took them to the array
And I am mining all zec with nvidia.

My 1 amd rig is doing xmr on Windows 10

It is a ryZen and some rx 580s.

That rig earn 5 usd and after power 4 usd.  It would roi in 1 year.

Except it earned more back in nov and dec

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1415
February 16, 2018, 09:19:46 PM
Phil as you know in pretty new to gpu mining only couple months in last couple years ive been asic only.  With my mix of 1070 and 1080 nvidia cards what are some of the best coins to mine.  I know i know do research but i know some coins are better to mine with amd cards others with nvidia cards just getting a feel for the lay of the land
legendary
February 16, 2018, 08:24:43 PM
I have seen Evga issue new 980tis. So I suspect amd makes new rx 470s and new rx480s
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 16, 2018, 05:30:36 PM
I have yet to see a multi-CPU motherboard for Ryzen - doesn't seem to be a chipset that supports that.
Have not paid enough attention to Threadripper to know if there is multi-CPU support for those or not.

Ryzen performance on Monero isn't all THAT impressive though - my old FX 8370 pulls right about 400 hash/sec on a mining machine with 5 GPUs also running, which is the same as a mid-to-upper tier Ryzen, and some of the old Intel E5 series does even better for a LOT less (abet at higher power cost).
You take a LOT longer paying off a Ryzen due to the much higher cost, or you end up with a Ryzen at similar cost and similar hashrate.

There HAVE been a very few new RX 470 cards on the market in the last 6 months - but all of the ones I have SEEN were Sapphire mining models.
I BOUGHT my last one of those on 29 September aka 4.5 months back from Newegg, but the same model and at least one of the other models were still available for at least a month after that intermittantly.

Saying there have been NONE available since June 2017 is FALSE INFORMATION.

legendary
February 16, 2018, 12:13:06 AM
If anyone wants a good laugh, take a look at this auction for 4 MSI 470s and 1 480.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-RX-470-Gaming-X-4GB-Graphics-Card-GDDR5-Video-Card-4-gigabyte-Twin-Frozr-VI/222834582077?hash=item33e1f9e23d:g:2SMAAOSw57xafLA9#viTabs_0

Ok, aside from this joker asking $500 per GPU BIN price... check the description.  He claims to have bought these new but they only have 3 months of use on them. So, let's do the math... we all know that there have been zero new 470's on the market since June'17 at the very latest.  That was 8 months ago.  So, this guy expects people to believe that he has had some of the most profitable GPUs around over the past 1-2 years sitting idle for 5 months?  This is down right comical alone, not even talking about the fact that he claims to have not overclocked them.

Bottom line is that jokers like this are around and potentially thriving due to a lot of noob crypto miners outrageously over-paying for GPUs. I actually wouldn't be shocked if one of them snapped this up lol.  But i just hate seeing downright liars get over on anyone.

Yeah he is really overpriced.

A 1070 should be 10 to 15% markup it is 50 to 100%

Same with most every cards 10 to 15% you can justify.

50 to 100% is too high.

As I look at the lay of the land at this moment . I would sell

Everything and wait til fall to buy new gear.

Not going to be what I do.  Buysolar heats his house with electricity so I have to leave some gpus running.

I will move the two omen builds to his house to make up for the cards I sold yesterday and today.

So I need to figure power cap.

Once the omens leave I will have one seven card rig.
A smaller rx 580 rig in the garage. About 2kwatts.  Down from 6kwatts in dec.

The array will have 16 1080tis of mine down from 26.
No s-9 instead of 2 2/3 .

Buysolar will also reduce his load.

We have had a good run in dec and early Jan

NJ was freezing cold and coins were smoking hot.

We exceeded our free power cap 3x. Made a lot of coin and can now sell the cards with a markup.

Plus with the cold we could exceed the heat cap and not worry.

Those six weeks were very good to us.

The last three weeks we have wound down and have sold at fair markups. Lower then anyone unless you grab a five minute in stock card on Newegg or amazon.

I need to ship 2x 1080ti out to two different people. On fri.

I need to ship a 2/3 s-9

I need to get paid for 1x 1080 ti
I need to get paid for 1x s-9
legendary
February 16, 2018, 12:05:34 AM
If anyone wants a good laugh, take a look at this auction for 4 MSI 470s and 1 480.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-RX-470-Gaming-X-4GB-Graphics-Card-GDDR5-Video-Card-4-gigabyte-Twin-Frozr-VI/222834582077?hash=item33e1f9e23d:g:2SMAAOSw57xafLA9#viTabs_0

Ok, aside from this joker asking $500 per GPU BIN price... check the description.  He claims to have bought these new but they only have 3 months of use on them. So, let's do the math... we all know that there have been zero new 470's on the market since June'17 at the very latest.  That was 8 months ago.  So, this guy expects people to believe that he has had some of the most profitable GPUs around over the past 1-2 years sitting idle for 5 months?  This is down right comical alone, not even talking about the fact that he claims to have not overclocked them.

Bottom line is that jokers like this are around and potentially thriving due to a lot of noob crypto miners outrageously over-paying for GPUs. I actually wouldn't be shocked if one of them snapped this up lol.  But i just hate seeing downright liars get over on anyone.

Why claim to not have overclocked when they are used for three months strangely...    The usual buyer would not be taking them out of a system if they bought them in the first place......  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

..."stuck my finger in it"...

Nothing fishy there....
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
February 15, 2018, 10:06:27 PM

Ok, aside from this joker asking $500 per GPU BIN price... check the description.  He claims to have bought these new but they only have 3 months of use on them. So, let's do the math... we all know that there have been zero new 470's on the market since June'17 at the very latest.  That was 8 months ago.  So, this guy expects people to believe that he has had some of the most profitable GPUs around over the past 1-2 years sitting idle for 5 months?  This is down right comical alone, not even talking about the fact that he claims to have not overclocked them.

Bottom line is that jokers like this are around and potentially thriving due to a lot of noob crypto miners outrageously over-paying for GPUs. I actually wouldn't be shocked if one of them snapped this up lol.  But i just hate seeing downright liars get over on anyone.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
February 15, 2018, 09:19:37 PM
I unloaded 16 rx cards over the last month at a profit. Not a pig profit though.

I've bought 5 70ti hybrids off phil.
I've bought 2 80ti off phil.

I got 6 refurbs evga 80ti from amazon with a 90 day evga warranty. 

And before gpu shortage i was able to score 8 80ti evga Sc2 at msrp. Mid December.

Puts me at 16 80 ti and 5 70 ti hybrid. All evga.

Not that this was ever in question but phil was razor sharp to deal with. No bs. Thank you phil.

legendary
February 15, 2018, 09:01:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for your tips on the M.2 adapter. not sure I want to risk it for just 1 additional GPU at this point... especially given the fact that I tend to be away for several weeks at a time with all my rigs running in my house.

Anyway, regarding that same build on the Asus Prime Z270-A... is there anything that needs to be done in the Mobo settings/BIOS in order to enable 6-7 GPUs on Windows 10?  To date I have only built on ASRock BTC Pro R2 & Biostar TB mobos, both of which are good for 6 GPU on W10 with no tweaks at all... but I have read that on some mobos, they require some BIOS settings change to gen 1 or something like that.  For those of you that run these Asus mobos... is any of that necessary?

I have the Z270-A, its a pretty sweet board.

I think just the 1G decoding; and disable extra unused accessories/ports such as audio and unused USB/SATA controller(s)... that should just about cover it.  Im not at home and can't look at my bios right now to give a definite, but those are the basics to look for.

I am personally not used to the new GUI in the more recent versions of BIOS;  things are in strange places.

*phil*  I wish I oculd have pulled the 1080Ti trigger before;  but given the way manufacturing is going;  I am going to bite the bullet and try the new generation when it hits the shelf....  Seems to usually pay off for people that mine for the long term.

If 1080ti's get reasonable enough in price (like, under msrp), or BTC goes >35000, Ill buy one....  But the way things look, I may have to sit it out for the newer generation and just pay the premium for the premium chance on returns.
legendary
February 15, 2018, 06:23:51 PM
Nice to see the market back up solidly over $450B most of the day today.  looks like BTC poised to go back over $10k and ETH back over $1k, maybe in the next day or 2. ZCL actually went through the roof last 2 days... back in the $165 range after being stuck under $100 since the correction. One thing I have noticed about this recovery is that most major coins are recovering better than the lower end ones. ETH is only about 30% below it's high but some other coins I hold like BURST, TRX and a few others are 60-75% below their highs.  I think it will be tough for a lot of these to get back close to those highs any time soon, in contrast to ETH or XMR or even maybe DASH, which I can totally see getting close or eclipsing in the next few months.  Luckily i did sell off some lower coins near their highs... mainly BURST... but dang... at 12 freaking cents I should have sold it all lol. Hindsight is 20/20 though after all ;-)

ETH only lost ballpark 35% from it's peak, where BTC lost over 60%.

Less ground for ETH to make up now - but it's also been growing hashrate quite a bit the last few months - not as much on a % basis as back in the spring, but MORE on an absolute basis.

AMD should be a bit worried about the situation - that's MILLIONS of AMD GPUs (and not all that many Nvidia) heading for a crash when ETH finally goes PoS.

... whenever that actually happens... I'll believe it when I see it.

Tbh, currently you can use your AMD rigs to mine other stuff and make pretty much as much.

On a sidenote, given the total absence of decently priced GPUs  out there, is there a way to get a semi-decent, stackable Ryzen or Threadripper setup going as alternative? There aren't even multi-CPU boards available, are there?

no the 1950x and 1920x are 1 cpu boards as far as I know.

The gpu shortage has caused very interesting issues for me.

As In  do I continue to mine  or just sell off 1080ti slightly over retail  not sure ,

but for now  I did sell
5 1080tis
14 1070tis
7 1070

all 5-10% more then retail  and of course I mined  several  thousand usd worth of coins with them.

It is a sure profit   and I am now very much all cash.

I am down to

26 1080tis
  2 rx 580s
  2 rx 560
  1 rx 460
  1 1050ti
no s-9's
no avalon
some usb sticks
Pages:
Jump to: