Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 71. (Read 34166 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 233
February 07, 2018, 12:06:43 AM
I had a good handful ask me in PM how i managed to break even with the price of bitcoin falling nearly 70%... so i figured id post it up, ive mentioned it in the past, but just how i do things...

Anyways, currently i profit switch to catch the most profit i can make per card, many are against this, they say it stresses the cards out, but i have had no issues doing this as long as i properly tune each card per algo, so its not running on the edge of breaking with the tuning, i run just enough OC to make it reliable, if it ever crashes, i look at awesome miner log to see which card locked up or failed and i go into my gpu OC settings and back it off 10 and just accept it at that rate....plus i never run my gear above 70c... currently everything is rock stable at 52c on watercooling...

anyways, the way i broke even is every day i get a payout from the pools i mine, i mine to multiple pools, because it seems different pools have different payouts on the same exact algo's...
Example: anytime equihash is the highest coin to mine, i have the pool setup to mine it from nicehash, because when i test different pools using identical gear, nicehash even tho reported less profit than lets say mining pool hub, they seem to always reliably payout more.... then skein, for some reason miningpoolhub always pays out the most on that algo when i try to mine it compared to others, and then blake2s is best on ahashpool for payouts it seems... just got to do your own testing and figure out your best options for your gear...

I use to use bittrex for this process, but with the all the news on tether, i backed off from using it in fear of it crashing one day... so i use GDAX now... daily i will receive 1 or more payouts due to how much gear i have currently. Everynight or around the time of the payouts i sit down and i take the payout for thats day mining and i throw it in a order based on how bitcoin is going at the time. for example right now with bitcoin crashing so fast and we were seeing 20+% movements in a day, i have been taking half my payout and selling it at a point that was hit multiple times during the day in hopes of getting maybe another 1% out of the payout, then the other half i have been placing it at the 24hr high and just letting the orders sit tell they fill, then when my orders would sell i would be in USD not tether and place a buy order for 10% below what i sold it for...

Example:
currently BTC today as i write this is as follow..

last 24hrs,
current $7,051.75
low $6,048.26
high $7,850.70
diff of $1,802.44 or 22.95% swing

today payout was $310 payed to my coinbase account @7051 current price.

so i placed an order for $160 @ $7850.70 and $160 @ $7250 since that point has been heavily test multiple times...
so... @7250 i would gain roughly 5.5% more on my daily mined earnings... and @7850 i would gain roughly 10.2% more on my daily mined earnings...
In the next few days if one of those sell then i place a buy back order in for far lower, lately i have been putting them in for 20% below and have already filled a good portion of those orders...

so lets says the @7250 fills tonight, then tomorrow i will place a new order for the $168.8 worth of USD in for btc @6525, so if btc ever drops that low again i will be in a better position at 15.5% of the price of what i previously had it at....

I have been doing this for months and has bitcoin raised up and up all the way to 20k, i racked up nearly 500 open orders with only half of them filling, because the price was only going up and not down.. so i managed to cash out all my minings into USD as the value of btc rised, but i had 100's of buy back orders sitting on the books, with this plummet in value my position in btc has risen above what it was worth when the price was around 17k....now im starting to accrue sell orders for when the price of btc goes back up...
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
February 06, 2018, 11:49:27 PM
The Titan V is very nice... but too expensive to make any economical sense currently. But good on you if you want to play with it, Phil. It should be a good indicator of what's to come for the consumer/gamer market. Are we expecting the Volta cards in Q2?

Coins seem to rebound a little after the massive drop. It'd be really nice if they could settle around these levels a bit. Build a base and start going up again. Mining-wise, all we need is for China to ban mining farms and we're in the money! Cheesy

It's just a correction, you can have hyper inflated growth like that without it correcting. It's not a crash, it's a correction. I bought a couple more coins at 6500 but I wish I would have saved those 3 coins I bought when it was 10k but at the end of the day it doesn't matter, what's an extra 30% when it's going to 6-8x by the end of the year.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 06, 2018, 08:26:39 PM
Phil, why do you think the Titan XP is worth the extra cash  over a 1080ti?
I was debating on what my next batch of cards should be...

The  xp cards are not worth 1138-1200. They hash at 800-825

But I would i would not mind 1 or 2 of them.

The Volta are worth 1800 or less if you only mine with them.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 06, 2018, 08:11:27 PM
Got my 1050 and 1050 ti "experiment" cards in today.

I'm NOT impressed.

EVGA 1050 single-fan 2GB, EVGA 1050 SC single-fan 2GB, EVGA 1050 ti single fan 4GB.

ALL of the cards have a hard-coded TDP limit at 52.5 watts, they will not LET you go lower at all - so 70% is the minimum, which doesn't leave a lot of room for tuning.

Performance on the SC vs the non-SC 1050 models was identical to within measurement limits, EXCEPT the SC model would not allow as high of an overclock.

On ZEC, the best efficiency was about 2.7 watts on the 1050 ti, 2.5 on the 1050 cards.
 Efficiency was pretty much FLAT between 70% and 80%, then dropped off some a little above that.
 Max hashrate was about 153 on the 1050 cards, 175ish on the 1050 ti, dropping about 25 hash on all 3 at 70% TDP.

No memory setting I tried, from -500 (which CRASHED the ti and the SC) to +500, had ANY noticeable effect on ZEC hashrate at all.
 ALL 3 cards liked as much core overclock as I could feed them, but that was only about +100 on the SC and +200 on the other two cards.

On a hash/$ basis the 1050 is comparable to any other GTX 10xx card I've worked with, the 1050 ti bit worse than even the 1080 ti - and that's comparing to pricing in October/November before the shortages hit.
 1050 would be a tolerable entry-level ZEC card if your electric cost isn't a factor or you have VERY cheap electric.
 On a hash/watt basis they are VERY POOR.

On the UP side, none of these models have a 6-pin PCI-E connector, so if you have a MB with a TON of slots like the B250 Mining Expert you could cram a BUNCH of these cards in one rig with a single not-very-large power supply.

Cooling was fair, but not as good as my bigger cards EXCEPT the blower models, they're a bit better than the ASUS cards and a LOT better than the MSI "Turbo", but they were fairly close on temps to my EVGA 2-fan models.
 They do NOT like being crammed on top of each other with no space though, 52.5 watt was hitting 82C on the one card I tried that way.
 One slot between them empty was tolerable - they MIGHT cool well enough to be viable on the later Onda motherboards.

The 1050 ti on ETH was pulling a little over 13.3 Mhash - TDP didn't matter, core clock didn't matter, +500 memory clock DID matter (it was mid-12s at stock clocks).
 Card only would use 62-63 watts when TDP was set to 75.
 13.3 Mhash doesn't compare well on hash/watt vs one of my 1070 cards that manages 29 at 90.

If high-end Polaris pricing was SANE, this card would be a very poor choice for ETH mining on both a hash/watt and a hash/$ basis.
 Ditto vs the 1070 on hash/watt though it would be somewhat close on hash/$.
 At current pricing, it might be TOLERABLE as an entry-level card, with the same "no PCI-E power needed" advantage mentioned above, but I still can't really recommend them other than "you can GET them, better cards are bloody near impossible to get".

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 06, 2018, 05:15:23 PM

titan xp and titan volta

of course  I have to get them first.

Titan Xp, or the "Star Wars" editions, were in stock most of January on Nvidia's site.
They DID run out sometime this month, dunno if they have restocked yet.

The price even on the Star Wars editions was over $1100 though ($1138 I think?) and the non-Star Wars ones are $1200, and they're FOUNDERS edition with so-so cooling.
IMO not viable as mining cards, they offer very little to NO performance advantage over the 1080 ti due to lower clocks vs the small increase in core count and memory width.

Titan V is $3000, and ONLY available direct or as part of "high end GPU workstation" builds for even more, NOT viable for mining due to the crazy cost unless you have some other reason to get the thing.

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
February 06, 2018, 12:50:53 PM
The Titan V is very nice... but too expensive to make any economical sense currently. But good on you if you want to play with it, Phil. It should be a good indicator of what's to come for the consumer/gamer market. Are we expecting the Volta cards in Q2?

Coins seem to rebound a little after the massive drop. It'd be really nice if they could settle around these levels a bit. Build a base and start going up again. Mining-wise, all we need is for China to ban mining farms and we're in the money! Cheesy
Activity: 322
Merit: 233
February 06, 2018, 12:07:58 PM
im not gonna lie, im happy with the drop in btc, i had 100's of trades finally kick off as the price droppped... so i basically broke even with the drop, so if it would only go up now i would make a nice chunk of profit....

Plus it would loosen the strain on the GPU market, so i can acquire some more units to grow my farm...
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
February 06, 2018, 12:07:07 PM
Phil, why do you think the Titan XP is worth the extra cash  over a 1080ti?
I was debating on what my next batch of cards should be...
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 06, 2018, 11:31:45 AM
slightly ot sorry, but I thought you'd like Grin

https://twitter.com/tomglimps/status/960441294005981184
for rendering not mining
6x 1080Ti
X99 E 10G WS paired with 40lane CPU mobo
MO-RA 360 pro radiator

Very nice.  

I sold the autominer.at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a5zXdRMxxc

I was given a discount for the review and passed some of the discount to the buyer.  So he got it for 5500 usd

https://www.autominer.at/generation3

the 1060 model was 4600 euros or 5667 usd plus shipping.  

I made a few bucks.
I am readying the garage for

titan xp and titan volta

of course  I have to get them first.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392
Be a bank
February 06, 2018, 10:04:13 AM
slightly ot sorry, but I thought you'd like Grin

https://twitter.com/tomglimps/status/960441294005981184
for rendering not mining
6x 1080Ti
X99 E 10G WS paired with 40lane CPU mobo
MO-RA 360 pro radiator
Activity: 610
Merit: 265
February 06, 2018, 06:41:53 AM
Yeah those are onda mobos plus cases that are on alibaba. Really nice cases with overkill 3700rpm fans. Keeps my 1070ti minis at 60 degrees.
That shirt will be drying very very quickly, that's for sure! Cheesy

How much are you paying in rent for this type of room, if you don't mind sharing? How many rigs will you stack in there?

54 rigs will be stacked there, 432 cards. 88x 1050ti are coming which takes up 11 rig space. The remaining space can be filled with 150-180W tdp gpu rigs like 1070tis.

Rent is $250 USD a month.

The fans are so powerful that the clothing rack will topple over! I wish the rig cases have the option of fans between 2000-3000rpm.
i'm curious though how do you deal with noise and attention, with the spate of break ins do you employ some sort of noise dampening or reduction to bring down the overall noise and attention from the fans ?

noise is an issue for me too, but i have cameras and and alarm system clearly visible

i do intend to install sound proofing on my garage door

It's very low profile. The noise cannot be heard outside the unit, it's 70 decibels inside but well contained. For safety there's 3 layer of protection, gate to enter the building, door to enter the unit, an extra metal gate with CCTV behind. Worst case I make a 20 min drive to the farm. It's also in a safe place with traffic.
Activity: 239
Merit: 10
February 06, 2018, 05:52:37 AM

I am glad I did not buy the expensive GTX 1080Ti. I think I can buy them for below $800 in a few weeks.

Already we can see a lot of new card offers on ALIBABA for prices around RRP, available for shipment in quantities.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
February 06, 2018, 05:47:35 AM
Lots of cards starting to pop up online second hand!
Still outrageously priced, but i'm sure there will be some bargains soon.
give it a few more weeks, I warned all those fools paying tripple retail price it was a bad idea
few people listened.  The longer this blood bath lasts the worse it gets for idiots who paid $900 for a 1070
and $700 for 580s 🤦🏿‍♂️

Or $1300+ for a GTX 1080 Ti.... I sort of feel bad for them, but mostly for their families in the cases of people maxing out credit cards or taking loans thinking they could get rich quick without taking a peak at how history repeats itself over and over.

I blame all the utubers "How to make $15 a day mining on one gtx 1080 TI!! Print your own monies!"

I am glad I did not buy the expensive GTX 1080Ti. I think I can buy them for below $800 in a few weeks.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
February 06, 2018, 05:43:47 AM
I still kick myself for not clearing the shelf of 3g evga sc 1060's last year.....  so much profit could have been made.....  mining, and otherwise.

What gets me is the people that mortgaged their homes, took out huge loans, etc... to buy on the rise.   Such bad practice all the way around: Investing what you can't afford to loose, buying on a rise, not a dip, etc etc etc....
Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
February 06, 2018, 03:49:16 AM
give it a few more weeks, I warned all those fools paying tripple retail price it was a bad idea
few people listened.  The longer this blood bath lasts the worse it gets for idiots who paid $900 for a 1070
and $700 for 580s 🤦🏿‍♂️

Or $1300+ for a GTX 1080 Ti.... I sort of feel bad for them, but mostly for their families in the cases of people maxing out credit cards or taking loans thinking they could get rich quick without taking a peak at how history repeats itself over and over.

I blame all the utubers "How to make $15 a day mining on one gtx 1080 TI!! Print your own monies!"
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
February 06, 2018, 02:56:01 AM
and $700 for 580s 🤦🏿‍♂️

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
February 06, 2018, 02:53:57 AM
Yeah those are onda mobos plus cases that are on alibaba. Really nice cases with overkill 3700rpm fans. Keeps my 1070ti minis at 60 degrees.
That shirt will be drying very very quickly, that's for sure! Cheesy

How much are you paying in rent for this type of room, if you don't mind sharing? How many rigs will you stack in there?

54 rigs will be stacked there, 432 cards. 88x 1050ti are coming which takes up 11 rig space. The remaining space can be filled with 150-180W tdp gpu rigs like 1070tis.

Rent is $250 USD a month.

The fans are so powerful that the clothing rack will topple over! I wish the rig cases have the option of fans between 2000-3000rpm.
i'm curious though how do you deal with noise and attention, with the spate of break ins do you employ some sort of noise dampening or reduction to bring down the overall noise and attention from the fans ?

noise is an issue for me too, but i have cameras and and alarm system clearly visible

i do intend to install sound proofing on my garage door
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
February 06, 2018, 02:51:58 AM
and $700 for 580s 🤦🏿‍♂️
Pages:
Jump to: