Pages:
Author

Topic: Health and Religion - page 97. (Read 210871 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
December 18, 2016, 02:43:43 PM
Basically, you follow a God who is vengeful and merciless..... yes your bible highlights that! You speak about forgiveness and truth, yet, you fail to exhibit any of those qualities by stating things which you believe are true about someone and are a negative in your world.

Perhaps God is neither vengeful nor merciless? The next time you read the holy text of your choice you may find something like this "the penalty for ____ is death". Try substituting the following "the penalty for ____ is (eventual self-destruction/cessation as the natural consequence of your bad choices)".

Why might God allow us think he is vengeful and judging? Because it may simply be necessary not for Gods sake but for ours.

How Religious Belief Shapes Action: Those Who Believe In A Punishing God Are More Likely To Play Fair
http://www.medicaldaily.com/religious-belief-all-knowing-god-play-fair-373278
Quote from: Susan Scutti
The daily news offers countless examples of the ways religion influences behavior, but the specific characteristics people attribute to their gods may be the most important factor in deciding their actions. Belief in an all-knowing, punishing god encourages cooperation with strangers, say researchers from the University of British Columbia. In fact, faith in such gods may have been necessary to the development of modern-day states.

Since the origins of agriculture, the scale of societal complexity has dramatically expanded while cooperation increased as well. According to the authors, communal agreement, most usually stimulated by genetic relatedness, reciprocity, and partner choice, should falter, not bloom as people increasingly deal in fleeting transactions with unrelated strangers in large anonymous groups.

So how did the large-scale cooperation we see today develop?

For that we can thank the belief in an all-knowing God who will punish us if we do not cooperate with and interact fairly within wider social circles, the authors hypothesize.

MINE OR YOURS?

To test this idea, they played a couple of games with people from far-flung locations around the world. Specifically, the research team enlisted the help of 591 people from Brazil, Fiji, Mauritius, Siberia, Tanzania, and Vanuatu; their religious beliefs included animism, ancestor worship, Buddhism, Christianity, and Hinduism. Led by Dr. Benjamin Purzycki, a research fellow at the Center for Human Evolution, Cognition, and Culture, the team conducted extensive interviews before the games began.

To play, an individual participant was given money and a two-color die. The researchers instructed the participant to roll the die and drop some coins in their own pot if one color came up. However, if the other color came up, the money was supposed to be placed in a pot for an unknown person who shared their religion in another community. In a second round, the participant was to drop coins into either the cup of a local co-religionist or a distant co-religionist. No one watched as each participant played the game.

Counting the coins in each pot, the researchers discovered participants in both games were more likely to play by the rules and dole out more coins to others if they believed in a god who knew about people’s thoughts and behavior, and punished for wrongdoing. By comparison, those who believed in a god who rewarded good behavior were not quite so equally inclined to play fair.

Based on these results, Purzycki and his colleagues say religious beliefs may have been a major contributing factor in the development of highly complex social organizations. Apparently, fear of supernatural punishment helps us remain on the earthly straight and narrow.

The reality is that Mankind causes most of our own suffering by hurting each other. This point was very well conveyed in the following song which was the number one biggest selling single of 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zICb-9m2dGA

The greatest obstacle to human progress is not a technological hurdle but the evil inherent in ourselves. Humans have knowledge of good and evil and with this knowledge we all to often choose evil. Ethical Monotheism and God offer us a framework for overcoming this evil.

Religions trail well behind in the development of ethical and moral frameworks.  The secular thought is leading the pack.  Always had.

Religions simply are forced to adapt and accept the reality.  Some, like Islam, are centuries behind, others, like Christianity, are decades behind.

Accepting women or gays as church leaders/priests or performing abortions would get you killed everywhere on the planet just a few centuries ago.

Christianity did not stop people from burning other people (heretics) at the stake.  They were doing it until late 18th century.

Legal, secular frameworks work quite well and are easy to change.  Unlike the religious dogmas.

Of course, you neglected to mention the atheism religion... which has been around since people became able to hypnotise themselves out of believing in reality.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 18, 2016, 02:03:59 PM
Religions trail well behind in the development of ethical and moral frameworks.  The secular thought is leading the pack.  Always had.

Your opening premise here is false. The following short 5 minute video clip may help.

Where do Good and Evil come from?
https://www.prageru.com/courses/religionphilosophy/where-do-good-and-evil-come
legendary
December 18, 2016, 01:24:24 PM
Basically, you follow a God who is vengeful and merciless..... yes your bible highlights that! You speak about forgiveness and truth, yet, you fail to exhibit any of those qualities by stating things which you believe are true about someone and are a negative in your world.

Perhaps God is neither vengeful nor merciless? The next time you read the holy text of your choice you may find something like this "the penalty for ____ is death". Try substituting the following "the penalty for ____ is (eventual self-destruction/cessation as the natural consequence of your bad choices)".

Why might God allow us think he is vengeful and judging? Because it may simply be necessary not for Gods sake but for ours.

How Religious Belief Shapes Action: Those Who Believe In A Punishing God Are More Likely To Play Fair
http://www.medicaldaily.com/religious-belief-all-knowing-god-play-fair-373278
Quote from: Susan Scutti
The daily news offers countless examples of the ways religion influences behavior, but the specific characteristics people attribute to their gods may be the most important factor in deciding their actions. Belief in an all-knowing, punishing god encourages cooperation with strangers, say researchers from the University of British Columbia. In fact, faith in such gods may have been necessary to the development of modern-day states.

Since the origins of agriculture, the scale of societal complexity has dramatically expanded while cooperation increased as well. According to the authors, communal agreement, most usually stimulated by genetic relatedness, reciprocity, and partner choice, should falter, not bloom as people increasingly deal in fleeting transactions with unrelated strangers in large anonymous groups.

So how did the large-scale cooperation we see today develop?

For that we can thank the belief in an all-knowing God who will punish us if we do not cooperate with and interact fairly within wider social circles, the authors hypothesize.

MINE OR YOURS?

To test this idea, they played a couple of games with people from far-flung locations around the world. Specifically, the research team enlisted the help of 591 people from Brazil, Fiji, Mauritius, Siberia, Tanzania, and Vanuatu; their religious beliefs included animism, ancestor worship, Buddhism, Christianity, and Hinduism. Led by Dr. Benjamin Purzycki, a research fellow at the Center for Human Evolution, Cognition, and Culture, the team conducted extensive interviews before the games began.

To play, an individual participant was given money and a two-color die. The researchers instructed the participant to roll the die and drop some coins in their own pot if one color came up. However, if the other color came up, the money was supposed to be placed in a pot for an unknown person who shared their religion in another community. In a second round, the participant was to drop coins into either the cup of a local co-religionist or a distant co-religionist. No one watched as each participant played the game.

Counting the coins in each pot, the researchers discovered participants in both games were more likely to play by the rules and dole out more coins to others if they believed in a god who knew about people’s thoughts and behavior, and punished for wrongdoing. By comparison, those who believed in a god who rewarded good behavior were not quite so equally inclined to play fair.

Based on these results, Purzycki and his colleagues say religious beliefs may have been a major contributing factor in the development of highly complex social organizations. Apparently, fear of supernatural punishment helps us remain on the earthly straight and narrow.

The reality is that Mankind causes most of our own suffering by hurting each other. This point was very well conveyed in the following song which was the number one biggest selling single of 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zICb-9m2dGA

The greatest obstacle to human progress is not a technological hurdle but the evil inherent in ourselves. Humans have knowledge of good and evil and with this knowledge we all to often choose evil. Ethical Monotheism and God offer us a framework for overcoming this evil.
legendary
December 18, 2016, 11:25:01 AM

So you're saying that you'll be forgiven and saved after your death but not while you're alive?
What silly thing are you asking here? Sometimes I am saying some things, and sometimes I am saying different things. Do you always jump in with questions about what people are doing or saying? Or is it only some of the time?

After death.. when you die and and no way to return or communicate with the people that are alive. Are you that ignorant not to get it?

Maybe if you were not so ignorant that you can't seem to state what you mean, then I might not be so ignorant that I can't understand what you are saying.

Cool
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
December 18, 2016, 10:55:52 AM

So you're saying that you'll be forgiven and saved after your death but not while you're alive? After death.. when you die and and no way to return or communicate with the people that are alive. Are you that ignorant not to get it?
legendary
legendary
December 18, 2016, 09:56:53 AM

Poor baby. You understand perfectly what I am saying. Yet you set yourself up against the Great God of all. Well, your choice. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Cool

And yet you cannot defend Your God against the truth. How very ironic!

God is truth. He doesn't want or need any defense against Himself. Too bad you are so full of falsehood. He is letting your evil, the evil of this world, go on for a time. But at the right time, He will put an end to it.

God will even stop you from being evil. This will happen at your death. But you can reduce your evil before death, simply by acknowledging what you know in your heart already... that God exists, and has sent His Son, Jesus, to be your Savior.

Cool

Here is the irony for you BADecker.....

You preach how your God is wonderful and merciful and will save people, yet you are always accusing people of being "full of evil", "falsehood".... etc. Yet those of us who are Atheist, do not condone you for your beliefs. We just highlight the discrepancies in your belief system and ask for you to explain. Yet your answers are always the same.... twisted comments which do not answer the question.

I have tried numerous times to highlight this to you and yet you continue to ramble the same rubbish.

Irony much?

What you or I or anyone else believes isn't necessarily the reality of things. That's why the fact of the existence of God has to be the basis for everything. We don't believe God exists. We know it. However, you can hide this fact from yourself all day long if you want.

Cool

Actually, what I believe is my reality. That is where you are wrong. My mind.... my thoughts.... my beliefs. Once again you are not able to stick to your own arguement. You state many times that your god has given freewill, then you say it isn't the reality of things. Hmmmm..... another contradiction BADecker. Please stick to your thought process and try not to get lost in the meantime.

That's great... that you believe your reality. The fact that you only believe it shows that you don't know it. For example, did you believe your reality before you were conceived? Did you know anything before you were conceived? Obviously, yours and all of our realities, are overshadowed by a far greater reality.

Are you adamant in your beliefs? Are you so strong in your beliefs that there is no possibility that they could be swayed? Or is it simply that you haven't come up against the reality that might sway your beliefs? How do you know that such will always exist this way?

You bring up free will again. Don't you realize that our free will exists in the partial freedom we have to believe in God? Then, God takes our faith, and manipulates all creation for each of us, based on our individual faith in Him, and how we change our faith. Free will, yet cause and effect throughout. However, you are welcome to remain dense, if you want.

Regarding contradictions, you go into the kitchen. Then you come back out. You go into the living room. Then you come back out. You go to work. Then you go back home. How many contradictions do you have in your life? As long as you don't accept the context and the details, you will find contradictions all over the place, even in your own beliefs.

Cool
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
December 18, 2016, 09:31:13 AM
December 18, 2016, 09:30:37 AM

Poor baby. You understand perfectly what I am saying. Yet you set yourself up against the Great God of all. Well, your choice. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Cool

God is truth. He doesn't want or need any defense against Himself. Too bad you are so full of falsehood. He is letting your evil, the evil of this world, go on for a time. But at the right time, He will put an end to it.

God will even stop you from being evil. This will happen at your death. But you can reduce your evil before death, simply by acknowledging what you know in your heart already... that God exists, and has sent His Son, Jesus, to be your Savior.

Cool

You preach how your God is wonderful and merciful and will save people, yet you are always accusing people of being "full of evil", "falsehood".... etc. Yet those of us who are Atheist, do not condone you for your beliefs. We just highlight the discrepancies in your belief system and ask for you to explain. Yet your answers are always the same.... twisted comments which do not answer the question.

I have tried numerous times to highlight this to you and yet you continue to ramble the same rubbish.

Irony much?

What you or I or anyone else believes isn't necessarily the reality of things. That's why the fact of the existence of God has to be the basis for everything. We don't believe God exists. We know it. However, you can hide this fact from yourself all day long if you want.

Cool

Actually, what I believe is my reality. That is where you are wrong. My mind.... my thoughts.... my beliefs. Once again you are not able to stick to your own arguement. You state many times that your god has given freewill, then you say it isn't the reality of things. Hmmmm..... another contradiction BADecker. Please stick to your thought process and try not to get lost in the meantime.
legendary
December 18, 2016, 09:22:44 AM

Cool

Cool

Irony much?

Cool
December 18, 2016, 09:18:54 AM

Cool

Cool

Irony much?
legendary
December 18, 2016, 08:57:21 AM

BADecker,

I understand your position perfectly.  You got yourself deep into this cult and you will always try to explain and justify obvious holes in your religious storyline.

So cancer is people's fault. Nice. I get it.  It cannot be God because God is perfect and good (yeah right)

But little kids, c'mon man.  What sins did a 3 month old child do who died of cancer? Where are your Christian morals.  To kill children with cancer is not right, man.

Next time you pray, say three times "Hey God, af_newbie said you go fuck yourself, you motherfucker!"

You have my vote for Best comment in the "Fuck You" to Badecker's god!

Brilliant!

So much anger and rage.  Sad

The question of why innocents suffer is a hard one.

There is indisputably tremendous suffering in the world. Most of it is created by Man in our inhumanity to each other and our moral failings. Some, however, comes from random disasters such as tornadoes or an unlucky cancer.

In providing us with Ethical Monotheism God has given us the tools we need to build a better and more advanced society. This limits the evils of Man against Man. It also enables us, as we progress, to better mitigate random suffering such as that caused by natural disasters. Someday we will be able to cure or better yet prevent cancer. In some cases we have already made great progress. Childhood Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) had a 10% survival rate in the 1960s today that survival rate is around 90%.

See: Religion and Progress for details on how Ethical Monotheism drives progress.

Why does God not simply impose his will on us and remove all evil from the world? Because if God or any other power did this we would no longer be free but the slaves of that power. We have been given free will to choose good over evil. If we all choose good then the random sufferings of natural disasters and even cancer will take care of themselves gradually vanishing with time and progress.

Yes! But when you look at the responses of the majority of people here, these people seem to want ignorance, if they can only maintain the idea of "God" outside of their lives.

There is a little Bible passage that says wording like, If God had not shortened those days, no flesh would be saved. In other words, at the end times, people will set themselves so extremely against God, that even the saved people would be twisted into losing their salvation.

When I explain this, perhaps it gives fuel to the fire of the ungodly people a little. But that's kinda okay. Sure, it would be good if evil did not exist. But if evil people force themselves harshly against the saved, Jesus will return and make the evil to NOT exist. Then, He will take His people to their new home, the New Earth in the New Heavens.

Will there really be a new universe? The language regarding this in the Revelation and elsewhere is a bit difficult to understand. But it seems that God is going to actually make a new universe.

Can God do this? There is only one thing to say about it. We simply have to believe what God says. After all, nobody knows the details of the way God made this universe. We don't even know a tiny touch of how He did it. In the same way, we don't know how He could make another one. All we can do is believe... or doubt.

Cool

oh boy are you in for a disappointment... Ok, let's say that in the end god exists but that god isn't that god you were worshiping and that god says"nah bro, you're going to hell for worshiping the false god". How'd you feel then?

That's exactly the point. Religions are built on a core of reality - like the existence of God - and consist of faith in the things that people believe God tells them.

What's the matter? Have your itty bitty feewings been hurt so badly by finding out that God is real, that you are out to hurt my feelings for being the guy who pointed out God to you? Be that as it may, turn to accept God. He will forgive you for your opposition at this time, if you turn from it to Jesus salvation.

Many of the studies that CoinCube brings out in this thread show that religion and belief in God bring about better general health.

Cool
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
December 18, 2016, 08:31:06 AM

BADecker,

I understand your position perfectly.  You got yourself deep into this cult and you will always try to explain and justify obvious holes in your religious storyline.

So cancer is people's fault. Nice. I get it.  It cannot be God because God is perfect and good (yeah right)

But little kids, c'mon man.  What sins did a 3 month old child do who died of cancer? Where are your Christian morals.  To kill children with cancer is not right, man.

Next time you pray, say three times "Hey God, af_newbie said you go fuck yourself, you motherfucker!"

Brilliant!

There is indisputably tremendous suffering in the world. Most of it is created by Man in our inhumanity to each other and our moral failings. Some, however, comes from random disasters such as tornadoes or an unlucky cancer.

In providing us with Ethical Monotheism God has given us the tools we need to build a better and more advanced society. This limits the evils of Man against Man. It also enables us, as we progress, to better mitigate random suffering such as that caused by natural disasters. Someday we will be able to cure or better yet prevent cancer. In some cases we have already made great progress. Childhood Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) had a 10% survival rate in the 1960s today that survival rate is around 90%.

See: Religion and Progress for details on how Ethical Monotheism drives progress.

Why does God not simply impose his will on us and remove all evil from the world? Because if God or any other power did this we would no longer be free but the slaves of that power. We have been given free will to choose good over evil. If we all choose good then the random sufferings of natural disasters and even cancer will take care of themselves gradually vanishing with time and progress.

Yes! But when you look at the responses of the majority of people here, these people seem to want ignorance, if they can only maintain the idea of "God" outside of their lives.

There is a little Bible passage that says wording like, If God had not shortened those days, no flesh would be saved. In other words, at the end times, people will set themselves so extremely against God, that even the saved people would be twisted into losing their salvation.

When I explain this, perhaps it gives fuel to the fire of the ungodly people a little. But that's kinda okay. Sure, it would be good if evil did not exist. But if evil people force themselves harshly against the saved, Jesus will return and make the evil to NOT exist. Then, He will take His people to their new home, the New Earth in the New Heavens.

Will there really be a new universe? The language regarding this in the Revelation and elsewhere is a bit difficult to understand. But it seems that God is going to actually make a new universe.

Can God do this? There is only one thing to say about it. We simply have to believe what God says. After all, nobody knows the details of the way God made this universe. We don't even know a tiny touch of how He did it. In the same way, we don't know how He could make another one. All we can do is believe... or doubt.

Cool

oh boy are you in for a disappointment... Ok, let's say that in the end god exists but that god isn't that god you were worshiping and that god says"nah bro, you're going to hell for worshiping the false god". How'd you feel then?
legendary
December 18, 2016, 08:13:17 AM

BADecker,

Brilliant!

Cool
legendary
December 18, 2016, 08:00:34 AM

Cool

Cool
legendary
December 18, 2016, 05:39:41 AM

BADecker,

Brilliant!

December 18, 2016, 03:52:08 AM

Cool

December 18, 2016, 03:50:34 AM

BADecker,

Brilliant!
legendary
December 17, 2016, 11:37:02 PM

There is only one possible answer to the prayers and it's MAYBE. The same result you'd get as praying to a car or any other object.

Wrong! The answer to prayers is always, God knows best, and answers all prayers in the best way.

Cool

so it's still a maybe, if the best "way" for you is not to listen to your prayer and you're not aware of his thought, the answer is maybe.

Maybe what? There are maybe's all over the place in life. One of the places that ISN'T a maybe is that God answers prayer in the best way. Like you think that we know what is best, better than the Guy Who controls everything through cause and effect, and MAYBE a million other ways, as well?

Come on, man. God is on your side. Quit fighting Him.

Cool
Show me one person whom prayers have helped to beat cancer. No such people. If the doctors helped, they say that God heard the prayers, if the doctors don't help, then say what is bad prayed. This is nonsense!

All people who knew they had cancer and beat it, did so through prayer. Some of the people knew they were praying. Others didn't.

Cool

WTF? Now this is just mindless rubbish. That is like saying all those Altar boys who were raped by the priest of their church didn't ask for it.... but in reality they did.

You only look at the surface of things. People have been hurting people all over the world almost since time began.
People who hurt others for no reason will lose some of their glory in Heaven if they are saved. But if they are damned, they will have extra pain in Hell.

Cool

But.. I was always told by the local priests and other people that god loves us all and will forgive our sins. So what's the deal with that?

God DOES love all. That's why He gave us appropriate freedom.

Who should God let live if there is war between people and God? God can't be destroyed. Yet, in the war, God, in the form of Jesus, DID die.

If people will not accept the way that God gave them to "overcome" Him - the death of Jesus - there is nothing else for these people. What else can God do? He essentially gave Himself up to death in the person of the God-man, Jesus. Other than that, you can't kill or destroy God. You will only succeed in destroying yourself if you won't accept.

How much greater love can there be? When people reject the love, there simply isn't anything else than their destruction.

Cool

Even little kids who die from cancer?  Why is God killing them?

What? Now you are calling the Creator of all things, cancer? Don't you have any joy in life at all?

Cool

Little kids die from cancer that God gave it to them thus killing them.  God aka "Creator of all things" is a killer of little kids.

Why?  What is your church say about cancer?

Or that is devil's work?  God is just reaping rewards by getting little kids to heaven pronto....

Why did he create them in the first place?  To take their lives so early?  Is he a psychopath?  Does he enjoy killing people?

The medical has shown us way back in the early 1900s that cancer is trophoblast run amuck, due to general poor health. It has to do with mankind accepting the devil's evil proposition, and destroying perfection thereby.

Since you aren't even interested in God, you will never understand the depth of love that He has given us, simply in the way that He gave us the universe, and made us in His image.

He is offering you and everyone salvation from the universe that mankind corrupted. Take it or leave it.

Cool

BADecker,

Cool
legendary
December 17, 2016, 07:33:32 PM

There is only one possible answer to the prayers and it's MAYBE. The same result you'd get as praying to a car or any other object.

Wrong! The answer to prayers is always, God knows best, and answers all prayers in the best way.

Cool

so it's still a maybe, if the best "way" for you is not to listen to your prayer and you're not aware of his thought, the answer is maybe.

Maybe what? There are maybe's all over the place in life. One of the places that ISN'T a maybe is that God answers prayer in the best way. Like you think that we know what is best, better than the Guy Who controls everything through cause and effect, and MAYBE a million other ways, as well?

Come on, man. God is on your side. Quit fighting Him.

Cool
Show me one person whom prayers have helped to beat cancer. No such people. If the doctors helped, they say that God heard the prayers, if the doctors don't help, then say what is bad prayed. This is nonsense!

All people who knew they had cancer and beat it, did so through prayer. Some of the people knew they were praying. Others didn't.

Cool

WTF? Now this is just mindless rubbish. That is like saying all those Altar boys who were raped by the priest of their church didn't ask for it.... but in reality they did.

You only look at the surface of things. People have been hurting people all over the world almost since time began.
People who hurt others for no reason will lose some of their glory in Heaven if they are saved. But if they are damned, they will have extra pain in Hell.

Cool

But.. I was always told by the local priests and other people that god loves us all and will forgive our sins. So what's the deal with that?

God DOES love all. That's why He gave us appropriate freedom.

Who should God let live if there is war between people and God? God can't be destroyed. Yet, in the war, God, in the form of Jesus, DID die.

If people will not accept the way that God gave them to "overcome" Him - the death of Jesus - there is nothing else for these people. What else can God do? He essentially gave Himself up to death in the person of the God-man, Jesus. Other than that, you can't kill or destroy God. You will only succeed in destroying yourself if you won't accept.

How much greater love can there be? When people reject the love, there simply isn't anything else than their destruction.

Cool

Even little kids who die from cancer?  Why is God killing them?

What? Now you are calling the Creator of all things, cancer? Don't you have any joy in life at all?

Cool

Little kids die from cancer that God gave it to them thus killing them.  God aka "Creator of all things" is a killer of little kids.

Why?  What is your church say about cancer?

Or that is devil's work?  God is just reaping rewards by getting little kids to heaven pronto....

Why did he create them in the first place?  To take their lives so early?  Is he a psychopath?  Does he enjoy killing people?

The medical has shown us way back in the early 1900s that cancer is trophoblast run amuck, due to general poor health. It has to do with mankind accepting the devil's evil proposition, and destroying perfection thereby.

Since you aren't even interested in God, you will never understand the depth of love that He has given us, simply in the way that He gave us the universe, and made us in His image.

He is offering you and everyone salvation from the universe that mankind corrupted. Take it or leave it.

Cool
Pages:
Jump to: