Pages:
Author

Topic: Health and Religion - page 99. (Read 210871 times)

Activity: 636
Merit: 505
December 14, 2016, 09:20:31 PM
If you want you can read about spirit mediums and thereby get a real education about "voices"; it should not take too long to decipher this phenomena once you have seen the best cases. In some cases the spirit obviously exists, like we see with the chess game and as detailed in the paper "The Problem of Seth's Origin".
http://www.aeces.info/Top40/top40-main.shtml
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 14, 2016, 02:33:12 PM
If you look throughout this thread, you will find that CoinCube has shown all kinds of studies that essentially prove that religion and health have a lot to do with each other. Look in the last 2 or 3 pages to find some of them.

Cool

Bottom line is this:  

If you believe in, see or hear something that other people cannot see or hear, you are suffering from mental illness.

Mental wards are full of prophets, aliens, historical figures, gods (or his/her relatives) etc.  So don't kid yourselves, religion is affecting people's mental health.  There is no question about it.

This downgrading of the individual human spirit is far from accidental. It’s launched as a sustained propaganda campaign, the purpose of which is top-down control.

af_newbie is correct in this:
Religion is affecting people's mental health.  There is no question about it.

RESEARCH SHOWS BELIEVING IN GOD IMPROVES YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/1216/religion_mental_health.php3
Quote from: Tana Bolinger

Researchers have found that there is a direct correlation between good mental health and believing in a Higher Power.

Whether you are Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, or practice another faith, you are more likely to have less stress and better mental health than those who do not affiliate themselves with any religious group.

Study #1: Better mental health

Researchers at the University of Missouri analyzed the results of three studies and the results of their findings are astonishing.

The surveys interviewed 160 people total. Of that group, 40 were Buddhist, 41 were Catholic, 22 were Jewish, 26 were Muslim and 31 were Protestant. Amongst all of the faiths, those who said that they were actively spiritual had better mental health, were more extroverted and were less likely to be neurotic

Study #2: Treatment was more successful

In the Journal of Affective Disorders, researchers followed patients receiving care from a hospital-based behavioral health program, hoping to correlate their relationship with religion and the outcome of their treatments.

They were not surprised when they found that those who believed in a higher power did significantly better with short-term psychiatric treatment.

While assessing the same 159 patients over a one-year period in 2013, researchers examined depression levels, overall well-being and risk of self-harm at the beginning and end of the treatment program. After the conclusion of the study, the patients who did not belief in a higher power were twice as likely not to respond to treatment.

"Belief was associated with not only improved psychological well-being, but decreases in depression and intention to self-harm," says David H. Rosmarin, Ph.D., and instructor in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.

Study #3: Less Depression

In another analysis, Dr. Harold G Koenig, director of the Center of Spirituality, reviewed 93 studies and found that religious individuals involved in the studies had fewer depressive symptoms.

The conclusion of every study revealed that spiritual belief is, in fact, associated with mental health.

Activity: 636
Merit: 505
December 14, 2016, 01:10:32 PM
Health dont have nothing with religion i don t understand w+how somebody can connect that 2 things when they are 100 x times other thing swhich dont have nothnig with it .You need to work on your body to be health religion will not help you.

If you look throughout this thread, you will find that CoinCube has shown all kinds of studies that essentially prove that religion and health have a lot to do with each other. Look in the last 2 or 3 pages to find some of them.

Cool

Indeed, you can find many examples that religion causes mild to severe mental illness, right on this forum.

Starting with paranoia, hallucinations, delusions and eventually leading to delirium.

Bottom line is this:  

If you believe in, see or hear something that other people cannot see or hear, you are suffering from mental illness.

Mental wards are full of prophets, aliens, historical figures, gods (or his/her relatives) etc.  So don't kid yourselves, religion is affecting people's mental health.  There is no question about it.

This downgrading of the individual human spirit is far from accidental. It’s launched as a sustained propaganda campaign, the purpose of which is top-down control.

“British empiricist philosophy is individualist. And it is of course clear that if the only criterion of true and false which a man accepts is that man’s, then he has no base for social agreement. The question of how man ought to behave is a social question, which always involves several people; and if he accepts no evidence and no judgment except his own, he has no tools with which to frame an answer.” (Jacob Bronowski, Science and Human Values, 1956).
Bronowski is quite sure that hearing other people’s evidence and then keeping one’s own counsel is wrong. One has to accept that evidence on its face? This is sheer idiocy. Individuals are capable of deciding, on their own, what social agreements to enter into.

Read more from writer Jon Rappaport about the fraud of psychiatry, it will help you find the truth about "voices". Check out my recent posts on this too.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
narrowpathnetwork.com
December 12, 2016, 11:12:30 AM
it's a sad thing some one is so delusional to be an atheist
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
December 12, 2016, 06:53:04 AM
if there is any there is anything anybody will ever wish for is be in health because they say health is wealth  as for that of religion i think it all about family background because it what one was bone into that what he or she will want to follow when he or she grow up the family has a great role to play in the life a child.
Activity: 462
Merit: 252
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
December 12, 2016, 06:38:22 AM
There are many persons intelligent and religious at same time.
But there are many people that so lazy and blinkered - they choose to follow for someone, they need the leader (religion in our example) that will be say how to live and it will be only one right way. For these people are easy to be religious.
If the person is smart he will never believe that which he does not find convincing evidence. And he doesn't believe in God. A lot of people really don't, but in order not to stand out from the others pretend to believe.

Most of religions says that God inside each of us. So there no reasons to searching convincing evidence..

I would agree, if religion recognized the existence of billions of gods. Each person has his own. But every religion recognizes one God. And achieves the subordination to him of all people. I don't agree.
I think you are so quickly move from issue to issue without deep discussion
Do you read about Jiddu Krishnamurti?
I did not read what? It's probably someone from the hare Krishnas or Buddhists. These religions are in my opinion the least hostile to humans, but it does not mean that they are not detrimental. Any religion inhibits a person teaches to obey. For me it's not acceptable

No, it's not Buddhists or Krishnas, it's his own teaching. I'm not religious and I don't need it. I agree that religions inhibits a person teaches to obey. But really person isn't smart and intelligent if religious? Smart person always looking for answers and ideas - in books, in teaching etc
legendary
December 11, 2016, 04:12:36 AM

Cool

The amount evidence from multuliple studies really is quite impressive.

Married Couples Who Attend Church Services Together Are Less Likely to Divorce
http://www.christianpost.com/news/married-couples-who-attend-church-services-together-are-less-likely-to-divorce-study-171853/

Married couples who attend church services together are more likely to live longer, are less likely to be depressed, and less likely to get divorced, according to a new study conducted by a professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.

The study, titled "Religion and Health: A Synthesis," conducted by Tyler J. VanderWeele, professor of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, noted that religious service attendance is connected to "better health outcomes, including longer life, lower incidence of depression, and less suicide," the Institute for Family Studies noted on Tuesday.

According to the study, religious service attendance is also "associated with greater marital stability — or more specifically, with a lower likelihood of divorce."

Married couples who attend religious services are 30 to 50 percent less likely to get divorced than those who do not, the study asserts. Such couples are also nearly 30 percent less likely to be depressed and, over a 16-year follow-up period, were shown to have significantly lower risk of dying.

Though some might criticize the marital stability data by suggesting that those contemplating divorce might be more likely to stop attending religious services, the researchers took that into account.

By looking into the timing of changes in religious service attendance, VanderWeele said, "we were able to control for this possibility, and the results persisted: those who attended religious services were 47 percent less likely to subsequently divorce."

"Religion is, of course, not principally about promoting physical health or decreasing the likelihood of divorce, but about communion with God," he said, and efforts to commune with God have "profound implications for numerous other aspects of life, including health and marriage."

While Christians understand and interpret the word "religion" and everything it entails differently than academic researchers, the operative definition VanderWeele posits for the study is: "the pursuit of complete human well-being: physical, mental, social, and spiritual."

Taken together, "religion is about both communion with God and the restoration of all people to their intended state of complete wholeness and well-being. The evidence suggests that it can indeed accomplish both," he said.

"The religious community provides social support, a constant reinforcement and reminder of the religious teachings, family programs, and a communal worship and experience of God. I would not say that good marriages need a community to thrive, but it certainly does help!"

legendary
December 11, 2016, 03:09:20 AM

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Dennis Prager who happens to be Jewish answers this question.

https://www.prageru.com/courses/political-science/just-say-merry-christmas
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
December 10, 2016, 04:41:21 PM
... studies that essentially prove that religion and health have a lot to do with each other.

Cool

atheism is a religion.

Cool

In that case, atheists must be in really good mental shape.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
December 10, 2016, 04:09:06 PM
Health dont have nothing with religion i don t understand w+how somebody can connect that 2 things when they are 100 x times other thing swhich dont have nothnig with it .You need to work on your body to be health religion will not help you.

Cool
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
December 10, 2016, 04:04:07 PM
legendary
December 10, 2016, 03:52:32 PM
Religion gives hope to sick people is that prayer may help in recovery. This is another deception of religion. Once again convinced that religion is harmful to humans and built on deception.

Placebo effect works. Prayer causes working placebo affect to exist at times.

God listens to prayer, and very often heals in answer to prayer, and according to His will.

Some people pray but doubt. Those are the people who often are not healed.

Time and chance affect all things. This is why prayers seem to not work at times.

Prayer always works, but not always in the way that people pray for.

Cool
And what does the placebo effect religion? In addition, this effect is very limited. Cancer is not a placebo effect won't cure. How many don't use the word honey in the mouth will not be sweet

English is not your language. I don't understand what you are saying.

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;
3. Coincidentally sometimes.

Prayer does not work because:
1. The people praying do not believe;
2. God has other plans;
3. Time and chance work in everything to some extent.

Cool

Tim Minchin says it best:

Now I understand a prayer can work:
A particular prayer in a particular church
In a particular style with a particular stuff
And for particular problems that aren't particularly tough,
And for particular people, preferably white
And for particular senses, preferably sight
A particular prayer in a particular spot
To a particular version of a particular god

And if you get that right, he just might
Take a break from giving babies malaria
And pop down to your local area
And fix the cataracts of your mum!

There is only one possible answer to the prayers and it's MAYBE. The same result you'd get as praying to a car or any other object.

Wrong! The answer to prayers is always, God knows best, and answers all prayers in the best way.

Cool
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
December 10, 2016, 03:21:31 PM
Religion gives hope to sick people is that prayer may help in recovery. This is another deception of religion. Once again convinced that religion is harmful to humans and built on deception.

God listens to prayer, and very often heals in answer to prayer, and according to His will.

Time and chance affect all things. This is why prayers seem to not work at times.

Cool
And what does the placebo effect religion? In addition, this effect is very limited. Cancer is not a placebo effect won't cure. How many don't use the word honey in the mouth will not be sweet

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;

2. God has other plans;

Cool

And pop down to your local area
And fix the cataracts of your mum!

There is only one possible answer to the prayers and it's MAYBE. The same result you'd get as praying to a car or any other object.
legendary
December 10, 2016, 11:55:58 AM
@BADecker where I see possible fault in Dennis Prager argument is in the following.

Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.

Not hold guiltless does not necessarily mean will not forgive. That appears to be Pragers interpretation of the wording though I do not know if it comes from him or others. Not hold guiltless could also mean that such an action is always sin as opposed to say theft where it is possible that in extreme circumstances (like stealing food to feed a starving child when no other options exist) theft may not be a sin.

There are several places in the Bible that show that God is complex enough that we will never figure Him out entirely. But even if the Bible didn't say it directly, we could still understand this by looking at nature and the fact that God created it in 6 days. We don't even understand the things around us. So how are we going to understand the Creator? Why do I mention this?

Even the love that God has for us is beyond understanding. God sent His Son, Jesus, so that God could hold people guiltless without holding them guiltless. How did He do it? By shifting the guilt onto Jesus, and Jesus, by willingly accepting the guilt, and then the punishment.

In broad and general terms, it's like you lose your job. You can't make your mortgage payments. You are about to lose you house. So, your neighbor pays your mortgage off for you. You couldn't pay then, but even if you get a new and better job, you can't pay on the mortgage any longer. It isn't there. The bank won't accept your payment. You might try paying your neighbor, but even if you can't, the debt is paid.

The point is, you were held guilty in Jesus. And Jesus paid, and then forgave. Jesus was both God and man at the same time. Being God, Jesus could take the pressure of the punishment for all people. Being man, Jesus was a proper one to punish.

This is why it is so important to accept Jesus salvation. Not because you can pay a debt that is already paid. Rather, because if you don't accept Jesus salvation, you are fighting against God. Who will win in that battle?

Cool
legendary
December 10, 2016, 02:33:17 AM
@BADecker where I see possible fault in Dennis Prager argument is in the following.

Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.

Not hold guiltless does not necessarily mean will not forgive. That appears to be Pragers interpretation of the wording though I do not know if it comes from him or others. Not hold guiltless could also mean that such an action is always sin as opposed to say theft where it is possible that in extreme circumstances (like stealing food to feed a starving child when no other options exist) theft may not be a sin.
legendary
December 10, 2016, 12:41:19 AM

However, just because certain sins are mentioned in the Scripture listed below, does this mean they are the only ones being talked about? Or might it be that they are only examples? Ezekiel chapter 18:

30 “Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Isn't the important part in Ezekiel 18 the last 3 words? And in order to live, doesn't one need to be forgiven? Anyone who doesn't have forgiveness will die in the judgment at the last day. So, there is forgiveness for all sins except the one unforgiven sin that Jesus talks about in the Gospels in the New Testament... the blasphemy against the Holy spirit.

So, what is the sin against the Holy Spirit?

Cool

The underlined question is the key one here.

In regards to what is the the sin against the Holy Spirit I am not sure I am qualified to answer that but here is someone else's answer.

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gotquestions.org/amp/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God.

Mark 16:16:
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

We believe in God. We believe in Jesus salvation. We will be saved because of this faith. But there was probably a time in our lives that we did not believe. Somewhere along the line we came to faith.

Titus 3:4-7:
4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,

5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,

7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Notice that I have the words "Holy Spirit" highlighted above. Without the Holy Spirit working faith in our hearts, we would not have it.

Now, since there was a time that we did not have faith, now that we DO have faith, there must have been a working of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. But what about someone who is so extremely strong willed that the Holy Spirit can't work faith in his heart?

Acts 7:51:
You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

It is the resistance against the Holy Spirit that keeps faith in Jesus salvation from being worked in the hearts of some people.

James 1:21:
Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

The point? The sin against the Holy Spirit is locked-in unbelief. It comes through people having such a strong will against God that the Holy Spirit can't work faith in their hearts.

Faith saves. Faith in the forgiveness of God, through faith in Jesus salvation, saves. The Holy Spirit works the faith in a person's heart. This is the only way a person comes to faith. If the resistance is too strong, even the Holy spirit won't be able to work faith. The result is locked-in unbelief... the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Cool
legendary
December 09, 2016, 11:35:50 PM

However, just because certain sins are mentioned in the Scripture listed below, does this mean they are the only ones being talked about? Or might it be that they are only examples? Ezekiel chapter 18:

30 “Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Isn't the important part in Ezekiel 18 the last 3 words? And in order to live, doesn't one need to be forgiven? Anyone who doesn't have forgiveness will die in the judgment at the last day. So, there is forgiveness for all sins except the one unforgiven sin that Jesus talks about in the Gospels in the New Testament... the blasphemy against the Holy spirit.

Cool

The underlined question is the key one here.

In regards to what is the the sin against the Holy Spirit I am not sure I am qualified to answer that but here is someone else's answer.

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gotquestions.org/amp/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God.

legendary
December 09, 2016, 10:41:24 PM
Cool
Yeah sure it does.... just ask the little altar boy who prays to your god to stop being raped by the church minister, or the starving children around the world who ask for food. What about the cancer stricken child who prays each night to your god for a cure?N
No different than asking Father Christmas for a new bike at Christmas time..... only difference..... you are more likely to get the new bike.

Committing evil in the name of God or religious evil is the worst sin one can commit.

It is so bad that it is explicitly stated in the Ten Commandments that God will not forgive it,

The Worst Sin
http://www.dennisprager.com/worst-sin/
Quote from: Dennis Prager

The worst sin is committing evil in God’s name.

How do we know?

From the third of the Ten Commandments. This is the only one of the ten that states that God will not forgive a person who violates the commandment.

What does this commandment say?

It is most commonly translated as, “Do not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.”
Because of this translation, most people understandably think that the commandment forbids saying God’s name for no good reason. So, something like, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!” violates the third commandment.

But that interpretation presents a real problem. It would mean that whereas God could forgive the violation of any of the other commandments — dishonoring one’s parents, stealing, adultery or even committing murder — He would never forgive someone who said, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!”
Let’s be honest: That would render God and the Ten Commandments morally incomprehensible.

As it happens, however, the commandment is not the problem. The problem is the translation. The Hebrew original doesn’t say “Do not take;” it says “Do not carry.” The Hebrew literally reads, “Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

This is reflected in one of the most widely used new translations of the Bible, the New International Version, or NIV, which uses the word “misuse” rather than the word “take:”
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.”
This is much closer to the original’s intent.

What does it mean to “carry” or to “misuse” God’s name? It means committing evil in God’s name.

And that God will not forgive.

Why not?

When an irreligious person commits evil, it doesn’t bring God and religion into disrepute. But when a religious person commits evil in God’s name he destroys the greatest hope for goodness on earth — belief in a God who demands goodness, and who morally judges people.

The Nazis and Communists were horrifically cruel mass murderers. But their evils only sullied their own names, not the name of God. But when religious people commit evil, especially in God’s name, they are not only committing evil, they are doing terrible damage to the name of God.

In our time, there are, unfortunately, many examples of this. The evils committed by Islamists who torture, bomb, cut throats and mass murder — all in the name of their God — do terrible damage to the name of God.

It is not coincidental that what is called the New Atheism — the immense eruption of atheist activism — followed the 9/11 attack on America by Islamist terrorists. In fact, the most frequent argument against God and religion concerns evil committed in God’s name — whether it is done in the name of Allah today or was done in the past in the name of Christ.

People who murder in the name of God not only kill their victims, they kill God, too.

That’s why the greatest sin is religious evil.

That’s what the third commandment is there to teach: Don’t carry God’s name in vain. If you do, God won’t forgive you.

You can see this commentary, animated with text and graphics, at www.prageruniversity.com. It was released, along with the other nine commandments, this month.

I wish my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah. And remember, just as evil in God’s name is atheism’s best friend, goodness in God’s name is theism’s best friend. So make a donation to the Salvation Army. They do immense good in God’s name. There is a red kettle at my website http://www.dennisprager.com.

1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 “What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel:

“ ‘The fathers eat sour grapes, and the children’s teeth are set on edge’?

3 “As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel. 4 For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

5 “Suppose there is a righteous man who does what is just and right.
6 He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel. He does not defile his neighbor’s wife or lie with a woman during her period.
7 He does not oppress anyone, but returns what he took in pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.
8 He does not lend at usury or take excessive interest. He withholds his hand from doing wrong and judges fairly between man and man.
9 He follows my decrees and faithfully keeps my laws. That man is righteous; he will surely live,

declares the Sovereign LORD.

10 “Suppose he has a violent son, who sheds blood or does any of these other things 11 (though the father has done none of them):

“He eats at the mountain shrines.
He defiles his neighbor’s wife.
12 He oppresses the poor and needy.
He commits robbery.
He does not return what he took in pledge.
He looks to the idols.
He does detestable things.
13 He lends at usury and takes excessive interest.

Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done
all these detestable things, he will surely be put to death
and his blood will be on his own head.

14 “But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things:
15 “He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel. He does not defile his neighbor’s wife.
16 He does not oppress anyone or require a pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.
17 He withholds his hand from sin and takes no usury or excessive interest. He keeps my laws and follows my decrees.

He will not die for his father’s sin; he will surely live. 18 But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.

19 “Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. 20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

21 “But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die. 22 None of the offenses he has committed will be remembered against him. Because of the righteous things he has done, he will live. 23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

24 “But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die.

25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Hear, O house of Israel: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust? 26 If a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin, he will die for it; because of the sin he has committed he will die. 27 But if a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he has committed and does what is just and right, he will save his life. 28 Because he considers all the offenses he has committed and turns away from them, he will surely live; he will not die. 29 Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Are my ways unjust, O house of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?

Cool
legendary
December 09, 2016, 09:37:43 PM
Cool
Yeah sure it does.... just ask the little altar boy who prays to your god to stop being raped by the church minister, or the starving children around the world who ask for food. What about the cancer stricken child who prays each night to your god for a cure?N
No different than asking Father Christmas for a new bike at Christmas time..... only difference..... you are more likely to get the new bike.

Committing evil in the name of God or religious evil is the worst sin one can commit.

It is so bad that it is explicitly stated in the Ten Commandments that God will not forgive it,

The Worst Sin
http://www.dennisprager.com/worst-sin/
Quote from: Dennis Prager

The worst sin is committing evil in God’s name.

How do we know?

From the third of the Ten Commandments. This is the only one of the ten that states that God will not forgive a person who violates the commandment.

What does this commandment say?

It is most commonly translated as, “Do not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.”
Because of this translation, most people understandably think that the commandment forbids saying God’s name for no good reason. So, something like, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!” violates the third commandment.

But that interpretation presents a real problem. It would mean that whereas God could forgive the violation of any of the other commandments — dishonoring one’s parents, stealing, adultery or even committing murder — He would never forgive someone who said, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!”
Let’s be honest: That would render God and the Ten Commandments morally incomprehensible.

As it happens, however, the commandment is not the problem. The problem is the translation. The Hebrew original doesn’t say “Do not take;” it says “Do not carry.” The Hebrew literally reads, “Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

This is reflected in one of the most widely used new translations of the Bible, the New International Version, or NIV, which uses the word “misuse” rather than the word “take:”
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.”
This is much closer to the original’s intent.

What does it mean to “carry” or to “misuse” God’s name? It means committing evil in God’s name.

And that God will not forgive.

Why not?

When an irreligious person commits evil, it doesn’t bring God and religion into disrepute. But when a religious person commits evil in God’s name he destroys the greatest hope for goodness on earth — belief in a God who demands goodness, and who morally judges people.

The Nazis and Communists were horrifically cruel mass murderers. But their evils only sullied their own names, not the name of God. But when religious people commit evil, especially in God’s name, they are not only committing evil, they are doing terrible damage to the name of God.

In our time, there are, unfortunately, many examples of this. The evils committed by Islamists who torture, bomb, cut throats and mass murder — all in the name of their God — do terrible damage to the name of God.

It is not coincidental that what is called the New Atheism — the immense eruption of atheist activism — followed the 9/11 attack on America by Islamist terrorists. In fact, the most frequent argument against God and religion concerns evil committed in God’s name — whether it is done in the name of Allah today or was done in the past in the name of Christ.

People who murder in the name of God not only kill their victims, they kill God, too.

That’s why the greatest sin is religious evil.

That’s what the third commandment is there to teach: Don’t carry God’s name in vain. If you do, God won’t forgive you.

You can see this commentary, animated with text and graphics, at www.prageruniversity.com. It was released, along with the other nine commandments, this month.

I wish my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah. And remember, just as evil in God’s name is atheism’s best friend, goodness in God’s name is theism’s best friend. So make a donation to the Salvation Army. They do immense good in God’s name. There is a red kettle at my website http://www.dennisprager.com.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
December 09, 2016, 08:28:16 PM

Cool

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;

2. God has other plans;

Cool