Pages:
Author

Topic: Health and Religion - page 101. (Read 210871 times)

Activity: 206
Merit: 100
December 08, 2016, 10:45:47 AM
Maybe if there were no fairy tales about the afterlife, and terrorists Muslims would be less. These dumb bastards blow themselves up on city streets to get to heaven and forever to fuck with women. Morons!!!
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
December 08, 2016, 10:31:52 AM
Part of the point is, however long you live in  this life, it is short compared with eternity. Get right with eternity, 'cause it is a long time to live there in a wretched, pathetic state.

In addition, if you are right with eternity, you will be a lot more comfortable and happy in this life, just for FEELING that you are right with eternity.

Cool

I do not believe in your version of the afterlife and I feel pretty darn comfortable with my eternity. Do you, knowing if you have made the wrong choice you face an eternity in your Hell?

After all, you are the one who has not followed your God's words exact;y as I have pointed out to you many times!

As I have shown you, I follow God's words exactly, because I follow them in Jesus. As God says, believing in Jesus is the thing - and really the only thing - that allows anyone to follow God's words exactly. The perfection of Jesus - the Guy Who followed God's words exactly - is applied to me through faith in Him. This means that even if I don't follow God's words exactly, I do follow them exactly in Jesus.

God says it. Jesus says it. I do it... in Jesus. You are mistaken. It is you who are not following God's words exactly.

Regarding versions of eternal life...

Nobody who didn't have a death wish for himself, would do something that might kill himself, right? So, why do people die in car accidents? Why do they die in hospitals? Why do they die in wars? Very few (if any) of these people have a death wish for themselves.

They die because they made a mistake about a benefit they expected to receive. A car accident wasn't expected. It just happened. Death in the hospital was the reverse of what was being looked for. The soldier who dies was really hoping to help his nation and other people, and to receive a little pay for doing it. None of these people wanted to die. And if they knew they were going to die, they would have done things a different way.

The point? Feeling comfortable isn't what counts. Recognizing the truth and the facts is.

You keep trying to show me how I am not following God's words. I keep showing you that I am. I have the reference that shows that I am, even though there are many references that appear to show that I am not. Who are these "not" reference for? They are for the people who do not do the thing that covers, and essentially voids, all the "not" references. They are for people like you.

You are the one who is not obeying God, simply because you do not accept Jesus salvation, the only thing that can make the despicable life of any person to be pure. When you attempt to apply disobedience of God to me, you are doing so because you are drawing from yourself. When I apply obedience of God to myself, I do so because I apply Jesus righteous obedience to myself, as God tells me. Jesus righteousness covers/removes/voids all disobedience against God's words.

I am righteous in Jesus righteousness. God said so. Apparently you are not... and God said this as well. But, you can change.

Cool

How nice.... you don't have to do anything other than have Faith in a fairy tale? Wow..... that is super cool.

Using that logic you can do whatever you like..... go against your god and just because you believe in something makes it right..... WOW.... that is amazing!

You have just acknowledged that you have references which show you not following your gods commands and in the same sentence admit that there are references which show you are not..... ironic that you only choose to follow the ones which make you feel good? It is good to see that you acknowledge your holy book is full of false comments and contradictions..... pity you still believe and want others to follow your beliefs.

I choose not to believe in fairy tales...... because they are not real!

I hope Santa brings you many wonderful presents on Christmas Day when he comes down your chimney!

You are entirely right, and you are very mistaken, as well. Here's how.

You are exactly right if you state that faith in Jesus covers all wrongdoing. And you are entirely wrong when you state that Jesus salvation is a fairy tale. History and logic of the Bible prove that Jesus salvation is the opposite of a fairy tale. Simply because you haven't examined the history, or simply because you might be illogical enough that you don't accept the history as truth, doesn't mean the history of the bible is not factual.

Faith, how do we maintain it. If we have faith in the all-pervading salvation of Jesus, we only maintain it by attempting to do what is right. This does not suggest that we actually do everything right. The doing only helps maintain our faith in Jesus. Intentionally doing wrong weakens our faith in Jesus. Doing wrong enough might destroy our faith entirely.

Yet, as long as faith is Jesus salvation is alive, all our wrongdoing is covered as though it did not exist.

Cool

but if you state and claim that god is real and whatnot, how can you have faith if you know he's there and will aid you? You don't need faith in that case.

Again? How silly can you get? Don't show us, please.

I know you exist.

I can't have much faith in anything you say.

Cool

You know he exists because i can see what he types. I have never seen your god therefore he does not exist.

We have less faith in your words than you believe. We just choose to continue discussing hoping you will be enlightened to you own faults.

Since God is a spirit, one sees God with his spirit and understanding. Obviously, you are spiritually blind, and weak in understanding.

Cool

Since god doesnt exist, you are delusional and weak in the mind.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
December 08, 2016, 09:15:48 AM
There are many persons intelligent and religious at same time.
But there are many people that so lazy and blinkered - they choose to follow for someone, they need the leader (religion in our example) that will be say how to live and it will be only one right way. For these people are easy to be religious.
If the person is smart he will never believe that which he does not find convincing evidence. And he doesn't believe in God. A lot of people really don't, but in order not to stand out from the others pretend to believe.

Most of religions says that God inside each of us. So there no reasons to searching convincing evidence..

I would agree, if religion recognized the existence of billions of gods. Each person has his own. But every religion recognizes one God. And achieves the subordination to him of all people. I don't agree.
I think you are so quickly move from issue to issue without deep discussion
Do you read about Jiddu Krishnamurti?
I did not read what? It's probably someone from the hare Krishnas or Buddhists. These religions are in my opinion the least hostile to humans, but it does not mean that they are not detrimental. Any religion inhibits a person teaches to obey. For me it's not acceptable
Activity: 462
Merit: 252
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
December 08, 2016, 08:42:03 AM
But there are many people that so lazy and blinkered - they choose to follow for someone, they need the leader (religion in our example) that will be say how to live and it will be only one right way. For these people are easy to be religious.
If the person is smart he will never believe that which he does not find convincing evidence. And he doesn't believe in God. A lot of people really don't, but in order not to stand out from the others pretend to believe.

Most of religions says that God inside each of us. So there no reasons to searching convincing evidence..

I would agree, if religion recognized the existence of billions of gods. Each person has his own. But every religion recognizes one God. And achieves the subordination to him of all people. I don't agree.
I think you are so quickly move from issue to issue without deep discussion
Do you read about Jiddu Krishnamurti?
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
December 08, 2016, 08:25:27 AM

December 08, 2016, 08:19:02 AM

Activity: 301
December 08, 2016, 08:06:08 AM
December 08, 2016, 07:33:57 AM
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 07, 2016, 11:39:44 PM
A Jewish Spiritual Perspective on Psychopathology and Psychotherapy: A Clinician’s View
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic545404.files/14977222.pdf
By: Israela Meyerstein

Research has shown that religion is an important aspect of patients’ lives (Levin, 2001). Dr. David Larson, citing 350 studies on spirituality, describes religion as the ‘‘forgotten factor’’ in physical and mental health (Larson et al., 1997; Larson, 2001). Religion has been found to reduce the impact of stress through providing coping skills, social support, a coherent world view, meaning, and a less risky life style (Pargament, 1997; Pargament et al., 1998). The psychological and physiological benefits of prayer have led to its identification as the ‘‘faith factor’’ in healing (Benson, 1996; Matthews, 1998).
Judaism views the human being as an integrated whole, with a focus on the body and the spirit. There is a keen awareness that emotions affect the body and vice versa; therefore, helping interventions must address both. G-d created man and woman in His image. Inside each person is a divine spark, perhaps our ‘‘identity,’’ or that which makes us unique. Our challenge as therapists is often to preserve, strengthen, or restore identity that has been compromised by trauma.
How does Judaism regard mental illness? The Hebrew work ‘‘choleh’’ (‘‘ill’’) is related to the word for emptiness or hollowness. According to the Talmud (Soncino Talmud, 1936), one who is depressed is said to have brittle bones, as mind and body are connected. It has been said that ‘‘soul loss,’’ or the exis- tential despair of meaninglessness (Frankl, 1965), is a source of physical and mental illness. ‘‘Meaninglessness . . . is the equivalent to illness", according to Jung (Jaffe, 1965).
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
December 07, 2016, 10:09:42 PM
Part of the point is, however long you live in  this life, it is short compared with eternity. Get right with eternity, 'cause it is a long time to live there in a wretched, pathetic state.

In addition, if you are right with eternity, you will be a lot more comfortable and happy in this life, just for FEELING that you are right with eternity.

Cool

I do not believe in your version of the afterlife and I feel pretty darn comfortable with my eternity. Do you, knowing if you have made the wrong choice you face an eternity in your Hell?

After all, you are the one who has not followed your God's words exact;y as I have pointed out to you many times!

As I have shown you, I follow God's words exactly, because I follow them in Jesus. As God says, believing in Jesus is the thing - and really the only thing - that allows anyone to follow God's words exactly. The perfection of Jesus - the Guy Who followed God's words exactly - is applied to me through faith in Him. This means that even if I don't follow God's words exactly, I do follow them exactly in Jesus.

God says it. Jesus says it. I do it... in Jesus. You are mistaken. It is you who are not following God's words exactly.

Nobody who didn't have a death wish for himself, would do something that might kill himself, right? So, why do people die in car accidents? Why do they die in hospitals? Why do they die in wars? Very few (if any) of these people have a death wish for themselves.

They die because they made a mistake about a benefit they expected to receive. A car accident wasn't expected. It just happened. Death in the hospital was the reverse of what was being looked for. The soldier who dies was really hoping to help his nation and other people, and to receive a little pay for doing it. None of these people wanted to die. And if they knew they were going to die, they would have done things a different way.

The point? Feeling comfortable isn't what counts. Recognizing the truth and the facts is.

You keep trying to show me how I am not following God's words. I keep showing you that I am. I have the reference that shows that I am, even though there are many references that appear to show that I am not. Who are these "not" reference for? They are for the people who do not do the thing that covers, and essentially voids, all the "not" references. They are for people like you.

You are the one who is not obeying God, simply because you do not accept Jesus salvation, the only thing that can make the despicable life of any person to be pure. When you attempt to apply disobedience of God to me, you are doing so because you are drawing from yourself. When I apply obedience of God to myself, I do so because I apply Jesus righteous obedience to myself, as God tells me. Jesus righteousness covers/removes/voids all disobedience against God's words.

I am righteous in Jesus righteousness. God said so. Apparently you are not... and God said this as well. But, you can change.

Cool

How nice.... you don't have to do anything other than have Faith in a fairy tale? Wow..... that is super cool.

Using that logic you can do whatever you like..... go against your god and just because you believe in something makes it right..... WOW.... that is amazing!

You have just acknowledged that you have references which show you not following your gods commands and in the same sentence admit that there are references which show you are not..... ironic that you only choose to follow the ones which make you feel good? It is good to see that you acknowledge your holy book is full of false comments and contradictions..... pity you still believe and want others to follow your beliefs.

I hope Santa brings you many wonderful presents on Christmas Day when he comes down your chimney!

You are exactly right if you state that faith in Jesus covers all wrongdoing. And you are entirely wrong when you state that Jesus salvation is a fairy tale. History and logic of the Bible prove that Jesus salvation is the opposite of a fairy tale. Simply because you haven't examined the history, or simply because you might be illogical enough that you don't accept the history as truth, doesn't mean the history of the bible is not factual.

Faith, how do we maintain it. If we have faith in the all-pervading salvation of Jesus, we only maintain it by attempting to do what is right. This does not suggest that we actually do everything right. The doing only helps maintain our faith in Jesus. Intentionally doing wrong weakens our faith in Jesus. Doing wrong enough might destroy our faith entirely.

Yet, as long as faith is Jesus salvation is alive, all our wrongdoing is covered as though it did not exist.

Cool

but if you state and claim that god is real and whatnot, how can you have faith if you know he's there and will aid you? You don't need faith in that case.

I know you exist.

Cool

You know he exists because i can see what he types. I have never seen your god therefore he does not exist.

We have less faith in your words than you believe. We just choose to continue discussing hoping you will be enlightened to you own faults.

Since God is a spirit, one sees God with his spirit and understanding. Obviously, you are spiritually blind, and weak in understanding.

Cool
December 07, 2016, 08:18:53 AM

Cool

Cool

Cool

I know you exist.

Cool

legendary
December 06, 2016, 10:47:04 PM

Cool

Cool

Cool

I know you exist.

Cool
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
December 06, 2016, 09:42:59 PM

Cool

Cool

Cool

legendary
December 06, 2016, 10:04:25 AM

Cool

Cool

Cool
December 06, 2016, 09:45:15 AM

Cool

Cool

legendary
December 06, 2016, 08:50:30 AM

Cool

Cool
December 06, 2016, 06:51:13 AM

Cool

legendary
December 05, 2016, 07:56:31 PM

Cool
legendary
December 05, 2016, 04:28:11 PM
Don’t wait until it’s too late to show the love you have for the special people in your life.
http://m.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/In-Plain-Language-The-six-questions-you-will-be-asked-in-heaven-323973#article=0OUMzMTQ0QUFCMjc2M0JDODIxRTYwNDZFRjYxRDNCRTA=
The Talmud (Shabbat 31a) offers a dramatic glimpse into the Heavenly tribunal.

It tells us that, upon arrival at the gates of Heaven, each person is given a test, a sort of cosmic entrance exam, and is asked six questions: Did you do business with honesty and integrity? Did you fix set times for studying Torah? Did you participate in the commandment to be fruitful and multiply? Did you anxiously anticipate the redemption? Did you engage in the pursuit of wisdom? Did you have fear of Heaven? Each and every one of these questions represents a probing not just of our accomplishments, but of our overall character.

Not just an overview of how our mortal self performed for 120 years, but how our soul developed during its lifetime and impacted upon the universe.

• Did we do business with honesty and integrity? Would we define ourselves as givers, or takers? Were we generous with what God gave us? • Did we fix set times for studying Torah? Did we establish a discipline of life, whereby our human needs were intertwined with our spiritual obligations? • Did we participate in the mitzva of being fruitful and multiplying? Did we see ourselves as a finite end in and of itself, or rather as a link in the ongoing, eternal chain of the generations? Were we isolationist in our approach to others, or were we genuinely concerned for their welfare? Did we restrict ourselves to self-indulgence, or did we see our mission as making a difference in the world at large? Even if we personally were blessed with offspring, did we also assist others who were not so fortunate, who needed a shidduch, so that they, too, could marry and have children? Did we make life easier for the needy, so they would be able to increase their families? • Did we anxiously anticipate the redemption? Did we have a positive or negative outlook on life? Did we live only for the moment, or did we think about and prepare for the future? Did we contemplate what would make the world a better place, and actively try to implement that vision? • Did we engage in the pursuit of wisdom, pursuing that which challenged our intellect, or did we spend too much time in mindless pursuits? Did we ask deep and important questions to ourselves, seeking answers that would give meaning to our life? And did we share our knowledge with others? • Did we have fear of Heaven? Did we live with a daily awareness that this world in general and our existence in particular is perilous and precarious, held together only by divine kindness? Did we stand in awe and appreciation of the magnificent world which God provided us on a silver platter? Did we show honor and homage to our Creator, appreciating that His demands upon us were for our own good and our own growth? THESE SIX classic questions got me to thinking: What specific questions would I personally be asked in Heaven? What expectations was I meant to live up to, and what evidence will be presented at my Heavenly hearing? These questions get to the essence, the heart and soul, of what each of us are all about, and what repentance, really means.

Reflection Is the Most Important Part of the Learning Process
http://99u.com/workbook/25481/reflection-is-the-most-important-part-of-the-learning-process
However you learn best — visually, auditory, or kinesthetically — you’ll reap the most rewards by spending time reflecting on your experiences. At least, that’s according to new research published by the Harvard Business School:

[The] results reveal reflection to be a powerful mechanism behind learning, confirming the words of American philosopher, psychologist, and educational reformer John Dewey: “We do not learn from experience … we learn from reflecting on experience.” … In fact, these beneficial effects seem to be lasting.

Why do reflection efforts generate an improvement in problem-solving capacity? We propose that the link between learning-by-thinking and greater performance is explained by self-efficacy, or a personal evaluation of one’s capabilities to organize and execute courses of action to attain designated goals…

The study behind these findings involved a random sample of 202 people, each individually given an online creativity test. One group of test-takers were instructed to reflect on a pre-test, writing down any strategies they thought might be helpful for the next test. Another group was told to also write down their thoughts and strategies, with the caveat that their notes would be shared with others. The final group was given no instructions for rumination.

In the end, both of the groups that were tasked with thinking about the pre-test performed significantly better than the group that did not spend any time thinking about the tasks at hand.

The research is clear: dedicating time to reflect on your life and work regularly (like with a daily check-in) really does have an affect on performance. Read the full details of the research (and get the final paper on the results) right here.
legendary
December 05, 2016, 02:13:21 AM
Thanks for the article, CoinCube.
So what about atheism? Does the denial of God have any entailments? Yes, it does: take just one example—the concept of human rights. Modern human rights theory is based on the Judeo-Christian idea that human beings are of tremendous value and worth, because they are made in the image of God. Reject God and suddenly you have to start again, explaining why one particular creature, thrown up by the forces of time, chance and natural selection mixing and chopping atoms and chemicals for several billion years possesses inalienable rights, whereas amoeba, aardvarks and eggplants do not.

The idea that nature is indifferent to our individual existence is normally evidenced in atheist/skeptic circles by the existence of death. It is important to understand that this author is pointing out that all atheists are humanists.

The source is a book by Andy Bannister titled:

The Atheist Who Didn't Exist
Or: The Dreadful Consequences of Bad Arguments

I have not read the entire book but it is on my long list of literature I may get to some day if there is time.
The passage cited as well as other passages in the book can be sampled for free on google book preview here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=qPEaCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=The+Scandinavian+Sceptic+(or+Why+Atheism+Is+a+Belief+System)&source=bl&ots=WEdx_c9Hvi&sig=pNmp0p5ifYAUWVrtp3JpNTvB9mc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit97n8r9zQAhVPwWMKHS2mD80Q6AEIPTAF#v=onepage&q=The%20Scandinavian%20Sceptic%20(or%20Why%20Atheism%20Is%20a%20Belief%20System)&f=false
Pages:
Jump to: