Pages:
Author

Topic: Historic Cryptogenic Bullion thread - CLOSED - page 20. (Read 286590 times)

legendary
Activity: 1696
Merit: 1008
legendary
Activity: 1696
Merit: 1008
CGB Core Team Weekly Update - July 8, 2014

Please also see the Reddit post for further discussion.

This post has been put off in favor of some important events which have recently taken place for CGB.  First and foremost, we celebrated CGB's first birthday on the 27th. A fundraising event was held to help pay for a media promotion as part of the marketing strategies of both CGB, and the CryptoTown project. It was a great success with 2 BTC and over 5000 CGB raised and we would like to thank the community for coming together to make this happen (and bahamapascal for doubling donations!). The fruits of this effort have already begun to arrive with an article placed in the CryptoBiz Magazine. They really appreciated the content, and the potential of what we are doing and, in an unexpected surprise, made us the cover story! The funds raised have also paid for some future promotion which we will produce within a month's time as part of an ongoing campaign.  

The CryptoTown On The Ground project has been receiving a lot of attention as we refine and better explain it. We are trying to maintain a separation of CGB and CryptoTown to create an example of how other cryptocommunities can help out. I want to quickly explain what we are giving to and getting from the CryptoTown project. The project was created out of necessity for CGB. We have left behind PoW mining as a primary focus and have therefore lost the majority of the attention. This is a question that any coin community can ask: If our mining profitability drops too low, where will the demand come from? The answer is that it should come from adoption into its intended role. Adoption of crypto is a goal of CryptoTown On The Ground.  

It should be noted, that just because the CGB Core Team and community have made great contributions to the CryptoTown project, it does not mean that CryptoMalls will advocate for CGB, nor that businesses will end up accepting or storing it. What makes that happen is our continued dedication to making CGB a currency that is easy to use and which has a suite of tools and services available for the use cases we encounter in the project. This is adoption. This is breaking it down into the actual task.  

Through the CryptoTown On The Ground project we will be able to open contact between adoption projects (including CryptoMalls), and our support network of consultants and developers. We hope that common goals will enable collaboration amongst cryptocoin communities. Another bonus is recognition in social media via official CryptoTown channels. These benefits are not only available to CGB, but also to any cryptocoin community that wishes to show a strong commitment.  

Speaking of collaboration, we would like to put out another request for developers. With our lead developer currently in a semi-inactive state, our Core Team is unable to produce our next client version in a timely manner. If any readers know of a software developer who might fit the bill, let us know! We are able to offer thanks in the form of monetary compensation (CGB).  I will also note here, that there are many other opportunities amongst CGB and CryptoTown for software development.  

A special thanks to our consultancy crowd hanging out at our CGB Topic on Bitcointalk. Some excellent, excellent quality discussion has been shared by many especially in the past few weeks. A distinguished mention for BTCat, with outstanding activity and quality. Our community is highly appreciated!  

The CGB Core Team

Thanks PSD! OP updated!
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
CGB Core Team Weekly Update - July 8, 2014

Please also see the Reddit post for further discussion.

This post has been put off in favor of some important events which have recently taken place for CGB.  First and foremost, we celebrated CGB's first birthday on the 27th. A fundraising event was held to help pay for a media promotion as part of the marketing strategies of both CGB, and the CryptoTown project. It was a great success with 2 BTC and over 5000 CGB raised and we would like to thank the community for coming together to make this happen (and bahamapascal for doubling donations!). The fruits of this effort have already begun to arrive with an article placed in the CryptoBiz Magazine. They really appreciated the content, and the potential of what we are doing and, in an unexpected surprise, made us the cover story! The funds raised have also paid for some future promotion which we will produce within a month's time as part of an ongoing campaign.  

The CryptoTown On The Ground project has been receiving a lot of attention as we refine and better explain it. We are trying to maintain a separation of CGB and CryptoTown to create an example of how other cryptocommunities can help out. I want to quickly explain what we are giving to and getting from the CryptoTown project. The project was created out of necessity for CGB. We have left behind PoW mining as a primary focus and have therefore lost the majority of the attention. This is a question that any coin community can ask: If our mining profitability drops too low, where will the demand come from? The answer is that it should come from adoption into its intended role. Adoption of crypto is a goal of CryptoTown On The Ground.  

It should be noted, that just because the CGB Core Team and community have made great contributions to the CryptoTown project, it does not mean that CryptoMalls will advocate for CGB, nor that businesses will end up accepting or storing it. What makes that happen is our continued dedication to making CGB a currency that is easy to use and which has a suite of tools and services available for the use cases we encounter in the project. This is adoption. This is breaking it down into the actual task.  

Through the CryptoTown On The Ground project we will be able to open contact between adoption projects (including CryptoMalls), and our support network of consultants and developers. We hope that common goals will enable collaboration amongst cryptocoin communities. Another bonus is recognition in social media via official CryptoTown channels. These benefits are not only available to CGB, but also to any cryptocoin community that wishes to show a strong commitment.  

Speaking of collaboration, we would like to put out another request for developers. With our lead developer currently in a semi-inactive state, our Core Team is unable to produce our next client version in a timely manner. If any readers know of a software developer who might fit the bill, let us know! We are able to offer thanks in the form of monetary compensation (CGB).  I will also note here, that there are many other opportunities amongst CGB and CryptoTown for software development.  

A special thanks to our consultancy crowd hanging out at our CGB Topic on Bitcointalk. Some excellent, excellent quality discussion has been shared by many especially in the past few weeks. A distinguished mention for BTCat, with outstanding activity and quality. Our community is highly appreciated!  

The CGB Core Team
RJF
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Online since '89...
MintPal is doing away with the voting system over the next month or so. Might want to get all the votes we can before that happens. (legally of course) Note: I've posted this in several forums for coins I'm invested in.

"Important: Please be aware that we are phasing out the voting system. We have removed the option to make payment votes and will stop taking voting winners from 1st September onwards. The system will continue as normal until then."
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010
https://askcoin.net/votes is active, if we can vote up early stage it will be 2 months to get listed.
legendary
Comkort having wallet issues. What's the problem, all seems to be fine.
legendary
If you take DOGE/BTC as example in volume (todays):

1. Cryptsy   
2. Mintpal   
3. Bter   
4. Bittrex   
5. Vircurex   
6. Poloniex

BTC-e would be ideal but it is not very likely they will want to list. Perhaps when the CGB marketcap and volume grows. Also their anonymous state does worry people else it could be on 1-3.
Cryptsy is great and I'm glad CGB does well there. Mintpal it's hard to compete with 400 coins willing to list, without a give-away voting campaign we may not get there in the next 2 years. That said, exchanges pop-up like mushrooms and next year there may be another favorite platform. Bter would be great too ofcourse but then you need criteria/tradinghistory to be able to vote, it won't go fast. 

This is most excellent. I am wondering, should we pick one or 2 out of these to focus on? Let's say Cryptsy went mt gox, what among this list will have the best positioning to replace it? That's the exchange I think we should throw weight behind.

edit: I could see diversity of country/laws as being important, if it is the regulatory stress which is causing this.
CryptoTown Explained - Goals, Roles and Advantages

Please also see the Reddit post for further discussion and updated post.

CryptoTown On The Ground

Project Goals

•      Promote adoption of cryptocurrencies as a part of stronger communities
  •      Operate with no single point of failure
  •      Use a decentralized "CryptoMall" approach.
  •      To engage communities with traditional, offline media and 1on1 contact
  •      To use social media to enhance idea persistence and organization
  •      To promote sustainability and self-sufficiency
  •      Utilize Free Open Source Software and Creative Commons licensing
  •      Remain coin neutral while recognizing contribution

Roles & Advantages

The Project:

•     Produce The Official CryptoTown Guide
  •     Produce other supporting documentation
  •     Open collaboration
  •     Reach out to existing groups and "cryptomalls"
  •     Curate the official set of tools and resources
  •     Collaborate with, but not responsible for, CryptoMall volunteers

CryptoMall (Volunteers):

•     Completely independent from project
  •     Pioneer and refine methods for adoption of cryptocurrency
  •     Decide which crypto to advocate at their mall
  •     Tailor strategies to situation and goals of the CryptoMall
  •     Sell or provide promotional material to participating businesses
  •     Collaborate with the project to solve problems
  •     Comply with and convey local laws
  •     Coordinate or guide the local trading of crypto

Businesses:

•     Decide its level of participation
  •     Decide which crypto is ultimately accepted there
  •     Decide to store of sell excess crypto reserves
  •     Decides how to advertise crypto at establishment
  •     Becomes part of a stronger, more self-reliant network
  •     Access to CryptoMall consultants to solve problems
  •     Increase revenue through "cryptotourism"

Coin Communities:

•     Work with volunteers to improve tool suite including coin specific tools
  •     Facilitate the actual adoption and use of your currency
  •     Display dedication to advancement of cryptocurrencies with material support
  •     An opportunity to pool talent towards common development goals

Individuals:

•     Start a local CryptoMall
  •     Volunteer at a local CryptoMall
  •     Connect with your local crypto community
  •     Develop software tools based on real world needs
  •     Documentation and Discussion via development workshops
  •     Share information to the project about known tools, methods, and existing projects which are similar or may benefit from collaboration.
  •     Create and share promotional media (generic or coin specific)
  •     A directory to find places that accept crypto
  •     Resources for effective crypto advocacy and adoption

Investors:

•     Provide business services and advertising
  •     Trade for profit on local exchange
  •     A framework to directly drive demand for cryptocurrencies in general or targeted to a specific one

Wow a thousand a day? That's called capital controlls and you are totally right to watch out for extreme centralization. This is a potential sign of "fractional reserve" accounting, where only a percentage of the actual currency is actually available to the exchange at any given time. Can we get some kind of rundown on our options? I wouldn't be opposed to officially supporting a well grounded contender or two. Are there any exchange reviews out there? Gathered together? If not.. I sense a development workshop in the making.. At any rate I will be printing up a batch of cold storage paper wallets for impending use.

I may be incorrect as they are being somewhat vague about it, but that is the impression i got from their blog here where they "suggest" verification for users who transfer more then $1k or $20k of value of crypto.  

Question 2:
When you do impose limits, what will be limited?
Answer:
Deposit and Withdrawal amounts and daily/monthly limits.   Trade activity will not be limited.  If you are depositing or withdrawing more than $1k a day or $20k a month worth of cryptocurrencies, then you should go ahead and get the verification process started.  If you meet this criteria, we will also be contacting you directly if you are not verified.

Then again, it could be a sign of regulatory stress. EIther way is not good and a case of why we need to be more distributed.
legendary
Activity: 1672
Wow a thousand a day? That's called capital controlls and you are totally right to watch out for extreme centralization. This is a potential sign of "fractional reserve" accounting, where only a percentage of the actual currency is actually available to the exchange at any given time. Can we get some kind of rundown on our options? I wouldn't be opposed to officially supporting a well grounded contender or two. Are there any exchange reviews out there? Gathered together? If not.. I sense a development workshop in the making.. At any rate I will be printing up a batch of cold storage paper wallets for impending use.

I may be incorrect as they are being somewhat vague about it, but that is the impression i got from their blog here where they "suggest" verification for users who transfer more then $1k or $20k of value of crypto.  

Question 2:
When you do impose limits, what will be limited?
Answer:
Deposit and Withdrawal amounts and daily/monthly limits.   Trade activity will not be limited.  If you are depositing or withdrawing more than $1k a day or $20k a month worth of cryptocurrencies, then you should go ahead and get the verification process started.  If you meet this criteria, we will also be contacting you directly if you are not verified.
Probably Cryptsy wallet, our mainexchange.

In rare cases, we'll open LTC markets for coins or give the community more time to build volume.  If you are a developer of a coin on this list and would like to keep your market on Bittrex, please contact us at [email protected]

If you guys still like to try to stay active then send them an email, perhaps they can give CGB more time. On the other hand it's not really necessary, we've had some discussions about the amount of exchanges before. Personally I think as many possible is good to catch the interest of the users of those sites, not everyone is on Cryptsy. We could try and focus some tradingvolume on Ecoinfund or Comkort instead.

+1 for more exchanges.  I think being centralized on cryptsy is not in the best interests of CGB and its needs to become more distributed across exchanges and other services.  Its also a concern that cryptsy now plans to restrict the amount of coins unverified users can withdraw based on its USD value ($1000/day or ~1.5 BTC/day).  "Getting verified" can only be of some interest to the US users as  international community has plenty of alternatives for FIAT trading/"cashing out" to FIAT, and that doesn't violate them with invasive AML/KYC regulations, or threaten to unreasonably limit access to their bitcoins and other altcoins they keep on those sites.  CGB needs exchanges that are not going place a collar on it.  All users should be able to deposit and withdraw their coins without restrictions when they want. :\

legendary
Activity: 1672

In rare cases, we'll open LTC markets for coins or give the community more time to build volume.  If you are a developer of a coin on this list and would like to keep your market on Bittrex, please contact us at [email protected]

If you guys still like to try to stay active then send them an email, perhaps they can give CGB more time. On the other hand it's not really necessary, we've had some discussions about the amount of exchanges before. Personally I think as many possible is good to catch the interest of the users of those sites, not everyone is on Cryptsy. We could try and focus some tradingvolume on Ecoinfund or Comkort instead.

+1 for more exchanges.  I think being centralized on cryptsy is not in the best interests of CGB and its needs to become more distributed across exchanges and other services.  Its also a concern that cryptsy now plans to restrict the amount of coins unverified users can withdraw based on its USD value ($1000/day or ~1.5 BTC/day).  "Getting verified" can only be of some interest to the US users as  international community has plenty of alternatives for FIAT trading/"cashing out" to FIAT, and that doesn't violate them with invasive AML/KYC regulations, or threaten to unreasonably limit access to their bitcoins and other altcoins they keep on those sites.  CGB needs exchanges that are not going place a collar on it.  All users should be able to deposit and withdraw their coins without restrictions when they want. :\

I am not an expert in this stuff. I could only guess its the cryptsy wallet. Its at 180k right now which is in line with what we have noticed in the past for a similar wallet. Would love to see more analysis. Perhaps we should consider offline storage of CGB on paper wallets to be a major point of effort for our community.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1470
Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics
CGB has been deactivated on Bittrex. They haven't put out any news but it will probably be delisted because of low volume. (Volume just started to pickup this week with a lot more open orders and about 2500 CGB sales)
To be sure I would advice everyone to withdraw their CGB's, I did so myself already. If you want my opinion on the way Bittrex is handling these situations:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7684769

edit: So it's on the first page: Removals for July 4th: CryptogenicBullion: https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-CGB

Get your coins out!

I also commented:
If they are only concerned about volume what does that tell you about their commitment to the advance of cryptocurrencies. Shady way to drop markets, and some shortly after launch, seems short sighted. Not to mention some coins don't rely on high volume to maintain value. Looking at the recent news for Cryptogenic Bullion, its actually hilarious that they are dropping it.
When first reading about Cryptotown I imagined a town in the middle of nowhere with a totally self sufficient crypto-economy. I realise now this is not the goal of the project, but instead aims to educate and introduce people and businesses into cryptocurrencies.

www.Yell.com is an example of a Directory for quickly finding businesses and services in your local area. www.Coinmap.org can be used to view the location of places where bitcoin is accepted in your local area and around the world.

This information from coinmap can be used to start to build a directory like Yell for cryptocurrencies. Starting with bitcoin.

When I get a couple hours spare I will list the businesses in the UK accepting bitcoin. Currently a little over 200 on coinmap.

If a directory like this could be made then it can be used to introduce businesses into cryptocurrencies, with a listing on the site and guidance on doing it.

Yeah man you got it! It's about bringing new businesses (and demand along with it) into the fold. It's also about documenting what makes a healthy cryptoeconomy and best practices for a smoothly operating community. The holistic approach, if you will.

What you propose would be a national cryptomall. This is a logical first step if your country doesn't seem to gather these businesses all in one place. Coinmap.org is amazing, but its voluntary to add yourself to it. We want to be reaching out with a human to human interaction to document existing businesses within an area, and to raise awareness to bring in new ones.

I will be working, likely all weekend, on spelling out the details. I hope to get a new version released of the official guide with the practical pieces in the "On The Ground" section.
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1000
Peaky Blinder
It would be good for volume If cgb was changeable on usd on cryptsy.
Pages:
Jump to: