Pages:
Author

Topic: How will this change the world of mining?? GTX 1080 / 1070 - page 35. (Read 134091 times)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100
well in the end i'm a bit disappointed about the consumption, all those new gpu should run at a level lower than 100w, not still around 120-130w which is the same of some old gpu if undervolted

i hope that with the correct undervolt they might run at 60-80w

Had pre production board tested just now - at 100w in nvismi (it won't go lower in linux with that pre production board) it does.. the same 26.7mhs
So there you go - hopefully we'll see windows driver at release with support of 2mb tlb fix and will be able to underclock lower - or utilize the perf for dual miner
Activity: 431
Merit: 250
well in the end i'm a bit disappointed about the consumption, all those new gpu should run at a lever lower than 100w, not still around 120-130w which is the same of some old gpu if undervolted

The are supposed to have x2.5 performance/watt. But that might be for the gaming, for mining, the performance/watt is not so great.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
well in the end i'm a bit disappointed about the consumption, all those new gpu should run at a level lower than 100w, not still around 120-130w which is the same of some old gpu if undervolted

legendary
Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001
Theoretically, 480 should be somewhere between 380 and 390.
25MH maybe more (2GHz gddr5 chips)
It really depends if algo is pure bandwidth(then ~25) or latency bound(maybe close to 30 )
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
The RX480 has just 256 bit memory bus, so it might be slower than the 390 with 512 bit memory bus.
Activity: 835
Merit: 1000
There is NO Freedom without Privacy

oh finally a good news, so 27 at 130w, do you have proof of the wattmeter? 27MH at 130w is very good, but apparently the nano is doing somehting like 20-22 at 80w, so it's not worse at all...

still they will be pretty expensive, so i would avoid buying right now, you can buy a 970 for cheap(230 euro, used) that does 20.5MH/140w
Makes no sense... one can get 2 7950 for 230e that do 36MH/300-350W stock
I'd wait for June 29th AMD's Radeon RX 480 $200 14nm should be efficient and good resell value when Ethereum goes PoS

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077432/components-graphics/polaris-confirmed-amds-200-radeon-card-will-bring-high-end-graphics-to-the-masses.html

I just started a build with 380x rig thinking polaris was months away from hitting the shelves and seeing the $/hash the 1080 is offering I pulled the trigger on some low end AMD GPU's..
The 14nm 480 might make them efficient and good for mining other algos besides Ether. Kinda wish I waited, but then again announcing June 29th availability and them actually being available are two different things. Nvidia has much more control over their supply chain than AMD. I remember when there were no AMD GPU's available and gamers were mad at all the "coin whores" buying up all the GPU's during the Litecoin boom when Nvida just sucked for mining.
I'm not a gamer but maxwell did make me a fan of Nvidia, hopefully they'll have more compelling models like a 1060 and ether mining is on par with AMD otherwise my next rig is 480. Either way I have 6 380x gpu being delivered tomorrow because I got sick of waiting  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

I have two asus 7970 monsters sitting there doing nothing. 100€ each. Interested?

And sorry for OT
legendary
Try finding a store with one IN STOCK.

8-(

Someone had a review unit they posted some ETH hashrates on - it was..... VERY VERY underwhelming, a 970 outhashes it.

Not sure how much of that is "new drivers not optimised for OpenCL or CUDA compute yet" and how much of it is "archetecture changes made it work WORSE on Ethereum than NVidia cards already do"....

they perform surely better on any other algo, due too low consumption and better hash, so i think it may be true that it is just a matter of bad optimization, or lacking of something necessary

genoil said that their potential could be around 40MH, for the 1080, which would be an instant buy.....but anyway, still too pricy for my taste

The maximum of the 1080 is 40MH, just like the max of 290 is 40MH, because of the bandwidth of 320GB/s (simply divide by 8KB/hash). I've heard through the grapvine that Pascal will be able (but does not yet) support (TLB) page sizes of 2MB and 8MB. When this would be enabled, we might finally see hashrates up to copyspeed (40MH) on NVidia. What we've seen with current drivers is much less; 650KH/s on Win7, 6MH/s on Win10 and 24MH/s on Linux (OpenCL).

so theoretically a 970 should have been around 24.5MH that's a pity
smi-tool should work on linux as well.
Found where you can set it in linux but dont have a card anymore - maybe next week - but im sure you can lower power draw with reasonable loss in perf
legendary

oh finally a good news, so 27 at 130w, do you have proof of the wattmeter? 27MH at 130w is very good, but apparently the nano is doing somehting like 20-22 at 80w, so it's not worse at all...

still they will be pretty expensive, so i would avoid buying right now, you can buy a 970 for cheap(230 euro, used) that does 20.5MH/140w

7950 is bad for resell, no one will buy it after you are done mining ethereum

also the consumption is higher for sure and hash lower, as you mentioned 36 for 350w(i assume the highest since you didn't provide a precise measure) is far worse than 41 at 280w

also there is not only etehruem which is profitable right now, there is at least another one which has the same profit, and amd is bad at mining it
legendary
Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001

legendary
smi-tool should work on linux as well.

Ok folks - I have a bad news and a  good news - we won't see 40mhs on 1080... but I've tested 1070 today and for some reason - it does at 125-130w... 26.7mhs - so overall its very reasonable to buy if you consider price and resale value - its definitely better then fury nano (considering other algos
The only problem its in linux now and I dont know when they get wddm 1 driver working and whats happening with july release of Win 10 and wddm 2

Its nv-smi - didnt have time to catch with wattmeter - but thats stock - i think you could go lower with power target as you do with 970

can you try to set tdp at 60% with msi afterburner? not sure if recognized yet, and then measure again with smi

smi is pretty accurate, but there is a 5% error, for example in my case it say 135w mining ethereum at 20.5MH per 970, but it's actually toward 140-145w maximum

vaulter, MSI afterburner 4.3.0 beta should have support for 1070/1080. Any chance you could try it?
I can try it but not for ethereum - this perf is on linux only - there is no fix for windows yet (low hashrate)
And i dont know how to change power target under linux
But comparing with 970 i do get 140w with the same settings where i get 125w on 1070 at stock settings
legendary

Ok folks - I have a bad news and a  good news - we won't see 40mhs on 1080... but I've tested 1070 today and for some reason - it does at 125-130w... 26.7mhs - so overall its very reasonable to buy if you consider price and resale value - its definitely better then fury nano (considering other algos
The only problem its in linux now and I dont know when they get wddm 1 driver working and whats happening with july release of Win 10 and wddm 2

Its nv-smi - didnt have time to catch with wattmeter - but thats stock - i think you could go lower with power target as you do with 970

can you try to set tdp at 60% with msi afterburner? not sure if recognized yet, and then measure again with smi

smi is pretty accurate, but there is a 5% error, for example in my case it say 135w mining ethereum at 20.5MH per 970, but it's actually toward 140-145w maximum

vaulter, MSI afterburner 4.3.0 beta should have support for 1070/1080. Any chance you could try it?
Activity: 438
26.7MH out of 32MH of full bandwidth is about 83%. That's what most cards approximately do. Still a mystery why the 1080 did only 24.5. Should be around 32MH if you take the 80% efficiency rule.
Activity: 242
Finally good news. I will hold on buying the AMD R9 390 and wait for the price of 1070 to drop to reasonable levels.
legendary

8-(

Someone had a review unit they posted some ETH hashrates on - it was..... VERY VERY underwhelming, a 970 outhashes it.

Not sure how much of that is "new drivers not optimised for OpenCL or CUDA compute yet" and how much of it is "archetecture changes made it work WORSE on Ethereum than NVidia cards already do"....

they perform surely better on any other algo, due too low consumption and better hash, so i think it may be true that it is just a matter of bad optimization, or lacking of something necessary

genoil said that their potential could be around 40MH, for the 1080, which would be an instant buy.....but anyway, still too pricy for my taste

The maximum of the 1080 is 40MH, just like the max of 290 is 40MH, because of the bandwidth of 320GB/s (simply divide by 8KB/hash). I've heard through the grapvine that Pascal will be able (but does not yet) support (TLB) page sizes of 2MB and 8MB. When this would be enabled, we might finally see hashrates up to copyspeed (40MH) on NVidia. What we've seen with current drivers is much less; 650KH/s on Win7, 6MH/s on Win10 and 24MH/s on Linux (OpenCL).

8-(

legendary

8-(

8-(

Ok folks - I have a bad news and a  good news - we won't see 40mhs on 1080... but I've tested 1070 today and for some reason - it does at 125-130w... 26.7mhs - so overall its very reasonable to buy if you consider price and resale value - its definitely better then fury nano (considering other algos
Pages:
Jump to: