Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote? - page 20. (Read 94792 times)

legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
Designs for the reverse? I'd like to buy blank notes and fill in myself.
rxw
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
ugghhh..

The one with alan turing is horrible just because he's in it..

Avoid people.. 

And one up there has

Vires in numbers..      Is that correct ?

I think its supposed to be slightly diff...

2 of the 4 accepted already have people on them. Not only that, but one of those two has a quote by a person as well... why should people be excluded from our notes?

One of the points of my design was to make it seem like cash... hence the identical dimensions to a US dollar, and hence the large portrait of a person found on most currency (and Turing is a prime choice- he was important in the fields of computer science AND cryptography, both of which bitcoin is based in). Although bitcoin notes may not be carried around as often as regular cash (it's the currency of the INTERNET, after all), I still think it would be in our best interest to have them be similar to cash. I think it would be more likely to ease adoption.

Do you actually have a reasonable argument as to why there shouldn't be people on our notes? Or any other criticism than "it's terrible cause it has a person on it"?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
I am still waiting for an updated version of the SAVINGS BOND!
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
ugghhh..

The one with alan turing is horrible just because he's in it..

Avoid people.. 

And one up there has

Vires in numbers..      Is that correct ?

I think its supposed to be slightly diff...
are we voting yet? Hey Mike can you added a pool to this subject?

1 2 3 4
2 3 4 1
3 4 1 2
4 1 2 3
1 4 3 2
1 3 2 4
etc.... IDK LOL
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
All of these are candidates to share in the $200 reward budget I have allocated for the banknote design project.

In order to be eligible, I need the following:

* PUBLISH your artwork in a layered vector file format (.ai, .svg, .pdf, .psd, etc.) where others may download and manipulate it directly.  JPG/PNG posting on image hosting sites does not count!
* AGREE that you release the artwork to the public domain.  Anyone can use it for whatever they wish without attribution or compensation (for example, robkohr may immediately start making his bitcoin checks out of them).  I deem this accepted by participating in my reward, please explicitly opt out if this term is not acceptable.
* Make reasonable touch-ups as I may request. (I'm not an expert at these programs)
* All of the following will be considered: Creativity; how much effort was spent on it; how responsive you were to suggestions to tweak it; how well it matches my subjective idea of what I was looking for in the first place; and whatever other criteria I feel like throwing on.  But I will be spending $200 on rewards.

My vote: (2||4), 3, 1
Can't wait to see what the site will look like.

+1
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Can't wait to see what the site will look like.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
In order to increase the artistic and collectible value of the bitcoin banknotes it should have the drawings of alpacas and scenes from the life of alpacas.

Alpaca is the spiritual animal of Bitcoin, because alpaca socks were one of the first physical products sold for bitcoins.

I considered having Domino's pizza as the centerpiece of my bill Wink
Then you would have to forever pay mechanical royalties to some pizza chain and the cute daughter of laszlo.

Alpacas will sign off all their royalties just for some tasty grass.
No offense to Gavin, but can we scratch him, and people altogether from the notes ?

Lets not make it about anyone...  

We should at least avoid living persons, and in particular avoid glorifying our community leaders. What if we did this a while back and had Bruce bills? Wink
I concurr with the above. Please avoid portraits of humans.

In order to increase the artistic and collectible value of the bitcoin banknotes it should have the drawings of alpacas and scenes from the life of alpacas.

Alpaca is the spiritual animal of Bitcoin, because alpaca socks were one of the first physical products sold for bitcoins.

I would say Bender

rxw
No offense to Gavin, but can we scratch him, and people altogether from the notes ?

We should at least avoid living persons, and in particular avoid glorifying our community leaders. What if we did this a while back and had Bruce bills? Wink

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073

rxw
Sorry man but I think it sucks. maybe it is the gradient background or big the fat happy tree in the middle of it all Bob Ross style. I don't know.

Don't mean to offend. I am just not feeling it Sad

You seemed to like version 2. Is there something about the redesign you don't like? The vertical stripe? Version 2 also had a gradient as a major feature of its design

Thanks

I would say go ahead and develop this, but pay particular attention to the suggestion that the bill needs to avoid solid stretches of colors.  Someone wanting to print very many copies of this design will need to stock up on magenta and yellow inks for their printer.  I am willing to accept additional candidates to share the reward if they show a great deal of diligence and effort.

I took your suggestion into consideration and removed the beige background, leaving it white so that the BG color can be determined by the color of whatever it's being printed on. I think it makes more sense that way anyways. I've also modified the red gradient so that less red ink will be used.

In terms of design, I've added a section for the priv key / address in plaintext. This could be important if someone doesn't have a QR reader and has to (poor soul) type in the priv key manually. I was going to use white text here to match the BTC logo in the corner, but chose to use the darker color for readability. I also chose Verdana (more readable at smaller sizes) here over beloved Georgia for the same reason.

Again, full resolution and psd file can be found at http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

and Again, constructive criticism is appreciated

Sorry man but I think it sucks. maybe it is the gradient background or big the fat happy tree in the middle of it all Bob Ross style. I don't know.

Don't mean to offend. I am just not feeling it Sad
rxw

I would say go ahead and develop this, but pay particular attention to the suggestion that the bill needs to avoid solid stretches of colors.  Someone wanting to print very many copies of this design will need to stock up on magenta and yellow inks for their printer.  I am willing to accept additional candidates to share the reward if they show a great deal of diligence and effort.

I took your suggestion into consideration and removed the beige background, leaving it white so that the BG color can be determined by the color of whatever it's being printed on. I think it makes more sense that way anyways. I've also modified the red gradient so that less red ink will be used.

In terms of design, I've added a section for the priv key / address in plaintext. This could be important if someone doesn't have a QR reader and has to (poor soul) type in the priv key manually. I was going to use white text here to match the BTC logo in the corner, but chose to use the darker color for readability. I also chose Verdana (more readable at smaller sizes) here over beloved Georgia for the same reason.

Again, full resolution and psd file can be found at http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

and Again, constructive criticism is appreciated

Activity: 352
Merit: 250
Did some more work on my design. Changed it up a little bit.
Hope you like it more Wink

edit: Maybe even a black line to make the borders more separated.

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
The reason is to make it easy for non-tech-users to prevent accidental double spending and at the same time prevent accidental 'bitcoin loss'. If the bitcoins have not been redeemed before the expiry date, the issuer of the note is allowed to transfer the bitcoins from the address to a new address. This can be easily handled automatically in a client which is used to print the note.

The issuer of the note can already take back the coins any time he wants: he can simply print two copies of the note, and scan the copy he kept.  He can do that any time as long as the note is not spent, regardless of any date he prints on the note.  At this point, my proposal consists solely of designing artwork and integrating it with an offline javascript bitcoin address generator which has no capability of saving addresses for later "clawback" of funds.  At whatever point one of the client developers integrates banknote printing into the client, that would be a perfect place to suggest this.  It would be trivial for someone to add a field to the artwork and doesn't require any early fundamental planning.

Accidental double spending is not an issue because the bitcoin system doesn't permit double spending, accidental or otherwise.  The purpose of bitcoin cash is for the customer to walk into a retail establishment and buy something with it without dinking around with his smartphone.  When he hands over the cash, it will be scanned and swept at the register just like a gift card.  That register will have access to the block chain.  If the customer has already spent it, the register will know that and won't give him any credit for it, exactly the same as if he presented a spent gift card for payment.
Activity: 62
Hello Casascius,

I want to suggest an optional field with 'expiry date'.

The reason is to make it easy for non-tech-users to prevent accidental double spending and at the same time prevent accidental 'bitcoin loss'. If the bitcoins have not been redeemed before the expiry date, the issuer of the note is allowed to transfer the bitcoins from the address to a new address. This can be easily handled automatically in a client which is used to print the note.

Longer explanation see here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1041420

It would be nice to see the expiry date (and an accompanying text) in a matching style to the artwork.

This requires being connected to the blockchain and this is not what Mike had in mind. He was looking for a completely offline addition to bitaddress.org.

I do not want to hijack this thread, and I really appreciate the original idea.
Therefore, my suggestion is OPTIONAL.
In the end, it will not be possible (and not desirable, IMHO) to prevent that good ideas like the one from Mike (and the terrific artwork) are used for other purposes as well.
Hello Casascius,

I want to suggest an optional field with 'expiry date'.

Longer explanation see here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1041420

It would be nice to see the expiry date (and an accompanying text) in a matching style to the artwork.

This requires being connected to the blockchain and this is not what Mike had in mind. He was looking for a completely offline addition to bitaddress.org.
Pages:
Jump to: