Pages:
Author

Topic: I am about to do something massivley stupid - page 10. (Read 24108 times)

Activity: 254
Merit: 250
Digital money you say?
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Do you have a specific reason? I already said that I am ready to pay this off if bitcoin goes to $0 tomorrow. You are acting like I will die or something. I won't die, I will just feel really shitty. And to be frank, I have felt worse before. I have made stupider mistakes and been set back further in life. This is nothing compared to some of the stuff I have done. Go scare someone else who will listen.

I would be taking on a similar risk if I was starting a business, or even worse buying a car. At least with this loan I might make a profit, all of the other things I could buy are just liabilities. Does anyone have a safer investment for the same time period which will outpace inflation? I bet not.

Don't even try and tell me that gold/silver is a similar investment. I like those just fine, but I want a return. Those are hedges against a financial collapse, not investment vehicles.

I can't buy a house and rent it out for a similar price point. Starting a business will take more time, money, and a knowledge of a market. Also, about 50% of businesses fail within 5 years anyway. Isn't that a gamble too?

What exactly do you think is a good investment?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
But I won't have to pay until I stop taking classes.

And I did know some students who kept going to college for the lone purpose of not wanting to start paying their debt. Like, 7+ years of undergrad. I don't know what they thought was going to happen to them eventually....
Activity: 661
Do it.

Just dollar cost average in over the next 2 years.  Will most likely be well worth it.  If not, fuck it, I'm still paying mine off and I never finished the first time either.
Digital money you say?
To all the bears: Yes I know.

To the people who are saying that you can't get rid of student loans through bankruptcy: Yes I know. But I won't have to pay until I stop taking classes.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
Digital money you say?
I think it's a good idea IF you plan on paying the payments and just keeping the coins as savings. What you are effectively doing is just "locking in" the price at about what it is now. I am almost tempted to do the same because what if the price rises to 100? It sure would be nice to be locked in at paying 37 if that is the case. But who knows

My thoughts exactly. I feel that locking in the price, whether it goes up or down in the near future, is worth the risk. I will be making payments as soon as I have to. I will also pay off as much of the principle as I can. I currently have a job and I am doing pretty well for myself.
Digital money you say?
OP isn't that fraud?  Taking a personal loan or using a credit card is one thing but how exactly are you planning on getting a student loan for "not being a student".  Also buying an investment on credit because it can't go down is a good way to royally screw up your finances.

I don't know about the laws around student loans, but I think they're pretty lax until you get in trouble.  A lot of people use some/most of the money as "living expenses" if they don't have a part-time job.  I also knew a guy who bought a motorcycle with student loans. So, go figure.

Yeah they don't pay any attention to what you're doing with those loans.  I mostly use mine for food and shelter Tongue  I bought a phone too, but the loan money mixes with your regular money so they don't know what's what.  I don't know if OP could get caught.

:/ I didn't know that this might be fraud, I have known people who used their student loan to buy a house. I will do more research into this. I picked a student loan because I am in school and I won't have to pay it off for a while.

Actually, how much would interest cost for these loans once the 5-10 years is up?  Is it still worth it considering?
I would assume he would buy the bitcoins never sell them, and pay back the loan asap working a job...

I have a feeling he already has student loans and this would just be another 15K

Typical American Student?

No loans of any kind. I currently have several thousand in savings, but I need that for a rainy day and stuff. And like I already mentioned, I would not have to pay until I leave school.

I would assume he would buy the bitcoins never sell them, and pay back the loan asap working a job...
Wouldnt it be better just to cash out the monthly loan payment and hope bitcoins price increase more than the APR?

I have never taken a student loan, so how does this work?
If tuition is $9k, and you take out a loan for $20k, isnt someone going to get suspicious?

they want you to use their loans so you can live comfortably without working a job to pay for rent / food, so you can focus on your studies, but you can spend it anything you want... all they care about is you paying it back + interest.

and no it would most likely be more profitable to sit on the bitcoins forever and pay back the loan with income.

These were my thoughts exactly.

OMFG lol! My sides!  Cheesy

I don't think buying right now is a good idea. I just can't see this high price being sustainable. Otherwise, I'll be doing something similar. I did it once, borrowing $15k last summer, and used the proceeds to pay off the loan and buy myself a new car. As soon as the price dips enough for me to feel comfortable again, I'll be borring $15k and doing this again. So, the idea isn't necessarily stupid, but the timing might be.

While I generally agree, I feel like the market might also go the other direction. From what I gather the market is of two minds. Either we will pop this bubble soon or we will take off like an atom bomb before popping. I feel that the risk of waiting is not worth the potential loss of an unknown amount of coins.

Maybe I should daytrade with 25% on Mt.Gox and try and call the top? Sounds even more risky. I would rather just hold. :|
Activity: 294
I think it's a good idea IF you plan on paying the payments and just keeping the coins as savings. What you are effectively doing is just "locking in" the price at about what it is now. I am almost tempted to do the same because what if the price rises to 100? It sure would be nice to be locked in at paying 37 if that is the case. But who knows
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
I don't think buying right now is a good idea. I just can't see this high price being sustainable. Otherwise, I'll be doing something similar. I did it once, borrowing $15k last summer, and used the proceeds to pay off the loan and buy myself a new car. As soon as the price dips enough for me to feel comfortable again, I'll be borring $15k and doing this again. So, the idea isn't necessarily stupid, but the timing might be.
donator
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
Wouldnt it be better just to cash out the monthly loan payment and hope bitcoins price increase more than the APR?

If tuition is $9k, and you take out a loan for $20k, isnt someone going to get suspicious?

they want you to use their loans so you can live comfortably without working a job to pay for rent / food, so you can focus on your studies, but you can spend it anything you want... all they care about is you paying it back + interest.

and no it would most likely be more profitable to sit on the bitcoins forever and pay back the loan with income.

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Thailand's not so bad Grin
I hear there are job opportunities all over the world for native speakers to teach English...
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
If this trade goes against you you're going to be screwed. You can never discharge student loans in bankruptcy and the interest will keep accumulating until they start garnishing Social Security payments.

Really the only way out of unpayable student loans is to permanently expatriate.

Thailand's not so bad Grin
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
If this trade goes against you you're going to be screwed. You can never discharge student loans in bankruptcy and the interest will keep accumulating until they start garnishing Social Security payments.

Really the only way out of unpayable student loans is to permanently expatriate.
legendary
OP isn't that fraud?  Taking a personal loan or using a credit card is one thing but how exactly are you planning on getting a student loan for "not being a student".  Also buying an investment on credit because it can't go down is a good way to royally screw up your finances.

I don't know about the laws around student loans, but I think they're pretty lax until you get in trouble.  A lot of people use some/most of the money as "living expenses" if they don't have a part-time job.  I also knew a guy who bought a motorcycle with student loans. So, go figure.

Yeah they don't pay any attention to what you're doing with those loans.  I mostly use mine for food and shelter Tongue  I bought a phone too, but the loan money mixes with your regular money so they don't know what's what.  I don't know if OP could get caught.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
Actually, how much would interest cost for these loans once the 5-10 years is up?  Is it still worth it considering?

I have a feeling he already has student loans and this would just be another 15K

Typical American Student?
Activity: 518

This idea is awesome! I might actually register for some classes so I can take out a student loan and do this.
But, I also have $20k student loan repayment through the Army that has never been touched.
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: