Pages:
Author

Topic: I am about to do something massivley stupid - page 7. (Read 24108 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076
No, I don't need you to tell me why this is a retarded idea or why this is massively risky.

It's not just risky and retarded, it's irresponsible.  You will borrow some money for you to gamble with.  So in a nutshell, in case your plan fails, you intend to tell you creditor:  «  Sorry I lost everything, I can't pay you back. »   At some point in history some people would have broken your legs for that.

Just look at the 2011 crash and think again.

?? Did you even read this thread?

No, I confess I did not.    I just read the part when you said you would use your student loan to buy some bitcoins.
Activity: 254
Merit: 250
Digital money you say?
The biggest problem you have here is that if you need to go all in, you need to do it right now, not next week.
You will be forced to invest during the time, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck!

I know! This is the real dilemma/gamble!  Lips sealed
Digital money you say?
No, I don't need you to tell me why this is a retarded idea or why this is massively risky.

It's not just risky and retarded, it's irresponsible.  You will borrow some money for you to gamble with.  So in a nutshell, in case your plan fails, you intend to tell you creditor:  «  Sorry I lost everything, I can't pay you back. »   At some point in history some people would have broken your legs for that.

?? Did you even read this thread? I just posted how I have the ability to pay everything back. Why would I default and wreck my credit score? I don't want to do that.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
The biggest problem you have here is that if you need to go all in, you need to do it right now, not next week.
You will be forced to invest during the time, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck!
Digital money you say?
OP: Noooo!!

If you must, then sell your car for bitcoins -- unless it's a collectible, or extremely old, a car loses value rapidly. If you truly believe in Bitcoin, you will make sacrifices and use public transport Wink. Even hiring a rental for the occasional weekend out of town works out cheaper than registration + insurance and all that other nonsense.

Sell your TV on ebay or whatever. There's nothing good on anyway, and they're so ubiquitous that you can always visit your parents and stuff for movie nights.

Quit smoking and buy a couple of bitcoins each week with the spare change.

--Try testing yourself in those or similar ways for e.g.: a week, and if the "pain" is not worth it, then I would hold off. Because if the risk of a loan doesn't pay off (e.g.: Bitcoin crashes to $15) you'll have to do those things anyway. Smiley

I would already be rid of my car if it weren't for my job, it is my biggest expense and I can't get rid of it Angry

I don't smoke and I wouldn't get much for my tv. I have been purchasing coins in the manner you just set forth and I have done quite well for myself, I am just unhappy with the rate at which I am acquiring coins.

Thank you for all of the suggestions though!
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Digital money you say?
Ok, I slept on it and I have made a decision.

• The student loan is out, there are just too many reasons not to use a student loan despite the advantages. My loan will either be from a credit card or some kind of p2p loan.
  • My loan size will be an easily manageable level, I will be taking out $6k. I can comfortably pay this amount back in under a year and I could probably hock all my stuff at a pawn shop if I really needed to get rid of it asap. This limits my stupidity/insanity to a reasonable level.

I would really like to be bolder, but I believe that Melbustus is right when he said:

I know you're not planning on defaulting, but your financial position suggests a volatile situation where even *you* may not be aware of how you'll react to various developments.

I have the resolve, I just don't want market forces making decisions for me. I am not so stupid as to assume that the market will go up enough for me to pay this off in the next several months. I know my job will still be here in a year barring the collapse of the USD. And I know I have the assets to settle my debt quickly if I needed to. All of this money would be savings or expendable money anyway. I just want it now.

I plan on selling 50 of my coins to break even when the time comes. I will keep the rest.

Now I just need to figure out how to buy.... Leveraged or all in :/ Anybody know if we are going to crash soon? I would really like to get coins at a discount!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Really the only difference between this being really dumb and really smart is the timing. Doing it now is probably dumb. Waiting just a month or two until Bitcoin either comes back down or at least stabilizes enough to show it won't crash is much smarter. Even if it does drop down to $10 again, I am 100% confident it will get back to $40 eventually. The question is, do you want to make money while it's climbing back up, or waiting for a couple of years just to break even?

Personally, my strategy has been "dollar-cost-averaging." Look it up. I made money even despite the drop from $30 to $2 and the eventual rebound. Much less risky.
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
Dolphie Selfie
This came into my mind this morning, I think it fits in here:

No Risk = No Fun
does NOT imply
Risk = Fun
Digital money you say?

Taking a huge risk that you know will either lead to extreme wealth or extreme poverty in your future isnt smart or dumb its just a personal decision about what YOU want out of life. But the sort of person who wants to risk everything for huge rewards shouldnt care what we think about it, the fact that you need our approval says to me that maybe you arnt cut out for this sort of thing. Do you think andrew carnagee or john rockerfeller or Cornelius vanderbilt give 1/1000th of a shit what anyone else thought about their hair brained schemes?

I don't particularly care, I just think it is even dumber not to get input on my idea.

I am still sold on doing this, but I have learned a lot from all of the comments. This is exactly why I posted. I really didn't want to post, but I knew that there are people here who would be able to talk at least some measure of sense into my idea. So far it has been a wildly successful thread and learning experience.

well good luck to you! i can say with confidence that i am not at all the sort of person i described in my previous post. I would never do what you are doing. But i legitimately and truly hope that you become ridiculously wealthy.

Thank you for the well wishes. I am going to need them.
Digital money you say?
I do know someone that max'd their credit cards to buy a while back...it worked out all right for them, but I can't recommend it due to the fact that I would rather not get bludgeoned to death by a hobo in a few months.

LMAO  Cheesy

Death by hobo... Not really the way I wanted to go :/
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

Taking a huge risk that you know will either lead to extreme wealth or extreme poverty in your future isnt smart or dumb its just a personal decision about what YOU want out of life. But the sort of person who wants to risk everything for huge rewards shouldnt care what we think about it, the fact that you need our approval says to me that maybe you arnt cut out for this sort of thing. Do you think andrew carnagee or john rockerfeller or Cornelius vanderbilt give 1/1000th of a shit what anyone else thought about their hair brained schemes?

I don't particularly care, I just think it is even dumber not to get input on my idea.

I am still sold on doing this, but I have learned a lot from all of the comments. This is exactly why I posted. I really didn't want to post, but I knew that there are people here who would be able to talk at least some measure of sense into my idea. So far it has been a wildly successful thread and learning experience.

well good luck to you! i can say with confidence that i am not at all the sort of person i described in my previous post. I would never do what you are doing. But i legitimately and truly hope that you become ridiculously wealthy.
Digital money you say?

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
I do know someone that max'd their credit cards to buy a while back...it worked out all right for them, but I can't recommend it due to the fact that I would rather not get bludgeoned to death by a hobo in a few months.

LMAO  Cheesy
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Since you know that this is stupid to the point of saying so in the title, I doubt you will do this, which is good.
If you were going to take out a loan to buy BTC (which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world in and of itself), a student loan might just be the worst possible way to do so. The interest rates may be low, but it can't be discharged, and you will get assraped with something hard and sandpapery if .gov finds out. If you must leverage yourself onto a tightrope, at least get a conventional loan, from someone you know, a p2p lending site, a bank, whatever. If you don't qualify for one, you'll have to work on that.
TL;DR Seriously? No.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
just wait till bitcoin hits 200 sell a quater payback the loan and hold the rest

ill be buying even if a satoshi is 1 dollar
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Caveat Emptor
If this is a loan that is 100% disposable income then I see no problem with trying it. If you run the numbers and do your due dilligence then I think it not a total bonehead move, not the smartest by any means, but maybe do-able.

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
fortune favours the brave, bitcoin is a 20 trillion emerging market and that i find is conservative considering it may take the entire global economy in its wake,

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Hello fellow bitcoin users.

I have been watching bitcoin over the past 2 years, I 'bought in' about 6 months ago. Over the months I have watched bitcoin developments and feel strongly about bitcoins future. Barring some massive hole found in the code, or something disastrous happening worldwide which might make people feel that bitcoin is terribly insecure, I feel that bitcoin's rise is inevitable.

Now comes the stupid part. I am thinking about taking on a $10k-$15k student loan to purchase bitcoins.

No, I don't need you to tell me why this is a retarded idea or why this is massively risky. I understand the risks quite well and I think I have lost my marbles. I have determined that I would rather pay off this loan than miss this investment opportunity. I know that if this fails I will kick myself forever, but I am young (26) and I can recover.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any loan services which might be good for this purpose, or things I should know about making such a large purchase. Please keep the doom and gloom to yourself, I know this is stupid but I have made my decision. I need ideas and help.

I plan to be holding for at least 5-10 years, and I would be willing to part with about 50 of my coins for $15k to pay off my loan and break even (a.k.a. a price of ~$300 a coin). I will be holding my breath until then. I plan on doing this in such a way that I do no incur Forex taxes on my 'cash out'. And I would probably end up having someone pay off my loan for the trade of coins below market rate. I would probably end up paying for everything I need in bitcoins as I see no reason to exchange my money back out and let 'the man' take a cut of my profit. This is my super scary gamble and I want to keep my reward if I get it.

Thank you very much for any positive input. And I hope you have a great day.

Pages:
Jump to: