Pages:
Author

Topic: I am about to do something massivley stupid - page 4. (Read 24108 times)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0
For people who do their homework, it is never a gamble.

How about  'the butterfly effect' and 'chaos theory' ?  No matter how prepared you are, you are never 100% sure.

That kind of questions makes me think that most people here are just high schoolers.
For you guys making any kind of investment is a gamble.

Why do I think you are a high schooler? You could have said, "how about risk and uncertainty", but no, you have to jump all the way to terms that are way out of topic, but common to find in youtube.

Haha, did you do your homework on predicting I am a highschooler  Wink ?  You would have lost some money on that gamble.... I am definitely not, just tried to put a little bit of variety in my wording .  
When you say: if you do your homework, it is never a gamble, I read that as you saying there is no risk, while in truth 1) there is always risk and 2)most investment decisions are much like a poker game.  The best players/predictors will (probably) gain, those that are worse (or happily hold their fiat and don't realize they are playing) lose value.  (If we get a bit more into it, ok not all investing is a zero-sum game as it will have an effect on the economy, but you get the gist of what I am saying).

No, you are still wrong.
Yes, there are risks, that's granted. But when I say investing, I mean actually knowing what the hell you are doing financially.
Popping to the stock market and purchasing some shares is not investing, that's gambling.
Jumping in to the purchase of shares without the bare minimum knowledge of fundamental analysis, is gambling.
Daytrading, is mostly gambling.

Gambling is speculating without any proof.
Investing is speculating based on information, and by making a very educated guess.

Follow the steps of value investing, and you will be on the right track on investing.
Otherwise, better stay away from any kind of markets.

PS: Then definitely college, undergrad Wink
Activity: 22
I don't see how this can possibly go wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

How about  'the butterfly effect' and 'chaos theory' ?  No matter how prepared you are, you are never 100% sure.

Better not go outside today, might get run over.

No reason to put on a bicycle helmet or have insurance, chances of getting run over are slim, so they are zero.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Investing is little more than a fancy word for gambling. Borrowing money to gamble is a bad idea. You don't want to find yourself here in a few weeks asking for a loan to "win it all back". Remember only speculate with what you can loose.

Dead wrong.
Then we disagree. I have been investing for 25+ years. Financial instruments, stocks, angel investing, land, even art. I do my homework and it has paid well for me. However every investment came with risk and no promise of reward.
It's like horse racing, some horses are likely to better than others, but no horse is sure to win.

Doesn't this just come down to people having different definitions of gambling vs investing?  For some, investing means purchasing a productive asset to secure long term gains, whereas gambling means betting on a discrete outcome.  For those using those meanings, they are indeed very different things.  Investment still involves risk, of course.
I suppose we are on the same page after all. You are probably right about me being a little to loose with the word gambling. 
legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

That kind of questions makes me think that most people here are just high schoolers.

Why do I think you are a high schooler? You could have said, "how about risk and uncertainty", but no, you have to jump all the way to terms that are way out of topic, but common to find in youtube.

Haha, did you do your homework on predicting I am a highschooler  Wink ?  You would have lost some money on that gamble.... I am definitely not, just tried to put a little bit of variety in my wording .  
When you say: if you do your homework, it is never a gamble, I read that as you saying there is no risk, while in truth 1) there is always risk and 2)most investment decisions are much like a poker game.  The best players/predictors will (probably) gain, those that are worse (or happily hold their fiat and don't realize they are playing) lose value.  (If we get a bit more into it, ok not all investing is a zero-sum game as it will have an effect on the economy, but you get the gist of what I am saying).
Activity: 166
Merit: 101
Investing is little more than a fancy word for gambling. Borrowing money to gamble is a bad idea. You don't want to find yourself here in a few weeks asking for a loan to "win it all back". Remember only speculate with what you can loose.

Dead wrong.
Then we disagree. I have been investing for 25+ years. Financial instruments, stocks, angel investing, land, even art. I do my homework and it has paid well for me. However every investment came with risk and no promise of reward.
It's like horse racing, some horses are likely to better than others, but no horse is sure to win.

Doesn't this just come down to people having different definitions of gambling vs investing?  For some, investing means purchasing a productive asset to secure long term gains, whereas gambling means betting on a discrete outcome.  For those using those meanings, they are indeed very different things.  Investment still involves risk, of course.
legendary

Dead wrong.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Clown prophet
I will be holding my breath until then

Only because of this you'll probably not stay alive.

How about  'the butterfly effect' and 'chaos theory' ?  No matter how prepared you are, you are never 100% sure.

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE

How about  'the butterfly effect' and 'chaos theory' ?  No matter how prepared you are, you are never 100% sure.

Better not go outside today, might get run over.

legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

For people who didn't make their homework, yes, it is gambling.

If you put money in a company knowing that they have a good product, you confirmed that their management is experienced, and checked that their sales team is sharper than a knife, then why on earth it would be a gamble? You project their potential earnings and weight them out with their the potential risks.
If you put money in this case, it is investing.

If you put money in a company you know nothing about, you don't know about their business model, don't know who they are or how experienced they are in whatever they claim to do. You don't know how much money your investment will make, and what are the potential risks.
Then that is plain suicide.
If you put money on it, certainly it will be a gamble. A stupid gamble.

And yes, if you put money based on Technical Analysis, it is also a stupid gamble.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Yes, the nay sayers frame it in a worst case scenario where bitcoin suddenly goes to zero.
I consider that scenario to be extreme enough that extreme responses are on the table as backup plans, such as relocating to a different country, but YMMV.
legendary
HODL OR DIE
Taking on student loans to buy bitcoin only sounds stupid because you're not using the right terminology.

It's called a carry trade. Because of the long time between when you take the loan and when you are required to start making payments it might even be less risky than most carry trades in the forex market because the bitcoin exchange rate can drop suddenly without causing a cash flow problem, provided that it recovers before it's time to start making payments of course...

Yes, the nay sayers frame it in a worst case scenario where bitcoin suddenly goes to zero. 
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Taking on student loans to buy bitcoin only sounds stupid because you're not using the right terminology.

It's called a carry trade. Because of the long time between when you take the loan and when you are required to start making payments it might even be less risky than most carry trades in the forex market because the bitcoin exchange rate can drop suddenly without causing a cash flow problem, provided that it recovers before it's time to start making payments of course...
legendary
HODL OR DIE

Dead wrong.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
daytrader/superhero

This.
legendary
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Now, does this thread nevertheless mean we are near a major correction back to 20$, 10$ or even less?    I don't know.   You tell me.

I think it is a hallucination that it would drop below $20 ever anymore. Nothing points to that outcome.

However, it may very well tank to $25-$35 area for several months, and I actually think it will, and should, do just that.

My prediction is conditional - if the price stays over $42 this weekend, then I don't think it will drop significantly any more after that. But if we see it fall below, the correction is here.

(I don't think this should affect long term plans such as taking loan to invest in BTC however...Wink
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
My first entry into Bitcoin made utilizing student loan funds.  Was it risky?  Oh yes.  Was it worth it?   Wink
Pages:
Jump to: