Pages:
Author

Topic: [IN-STOCK] Professional Eyeboot 49 Port USB Hubs [$150 usd] - page 5. (Read 22177 times)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10
I can confirm that the $45 5V 60A power supply works with this hub.

It's late here, so pics tomorrow!

OK, as promised! First the money shot:

The rest of this post are the steps I took to make this work. If you're going to try this you should at least know how to do basic soldering, crimping and heat shrinking of cables.

One thing to note is that it looks like the power LED on the hub is powered from a 3.3V line, so it won't work if you go this route.

1. Here is the ATX pinout. We'll be connecting all of the black and red positions to the power supply.

2. I got this Meanwell 5V 350W supply:

The price varies all over the place, and there are many similar supplies on ebay available out of China. They all look about the same, but getting one from a reputable company for only $45 was pretty nice.

3. I used 18 gauge wire. 16 would also be good. Don't go any lower than 18!

4. Get yourself a 24 pin ATX connector, mine came with pins which was nice:

5. Attach pins to eight black wires. Here you can see the crimp:

6. Because I don't trust crimping, I always solder these type of connections too:

You can see the copper wire is now covered in solder and very strongly attached to the pin ;-)

7. Add some heat shrink. Don't put the heat shrink too far down the pin or the pin won't go in the socket correctly.

8. Insert the wires into the connector following the pinout above. The pinout above is looking at the *face* of the connector, so you'll have to take that into account. My connector had pin numbers stamped on the back so it was easy to get right.

9. Repeat with red wires:

10. Now on to the AC power. My supply had a "L" for line, "N" for neutral and GND for ground for the AC connection. Here in the US the line wire is black, the white is neutral and the green is ground. Please get this right! Also, I'm using ring lug connectors. Again, I wan't everything to be very well connected. Ring connectors can't pull out like spades or just bare wire, so I like them best.

11. First I hooked up the AC line to the proper terminals and then I connected a DMM to the output.

12. Looks good! I adjusted my supply to 5.2 volts. USB spec is 4.75-5.25 and the slightly higher voltage will result in the miners using less current (amps), which is good.

13. Now I added ring lugs to the ATX cable. There are only three output terminals for + and - on the supply so you need to balance the wires as best as possible. With 6 red and 8 black this works out to 2,2,1 and 3,3,2 for red and black respectively. Solder these connections too!

14. All hooked up!

legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats

Brilliant! I have one on the way. Going to get another now Smiley

legendary
If you still have any left - I would like one!

Please message me!

I will also message you.

Best price on the net that I can find!

Special price for the bitcointalk community  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

There is still stock, bitcoin or paypal payment are both accepted.
Activity: 98
w00t!coin
If you still have any left - I would like one!

Please message me!

I will also message you.

Best price on the net that I can find!
Activity: 697
Merit: 503

This ... is freaking awesome.

Damn!!!!!

Thanks!!!  Grin

Top pic (also showing Klintay's awesome 49 port hub):

Looks fantastic!
w00t!coin
I am going to copy you ... just ordered my first gridseed today lol

Saving up for that board.

Great price too best on the net!
Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Damn!!!!!

Thanks!!!  Grin

Top pic (also showing Klintay's awesome 49 port hub):

What kind of controller are you using for those 40 units? Raspberry Pi?

I'm using a Linux machine running Ubuntu 12.04 and cgminer 3.7.2 compiled from: https://github.com/dtbartle/cgminer-gc3355 Works like a charm! Super stable, no lockups or reboots required.
So if anyone is looking for a USB hub with a large number of ports to connect many Gridseed ASICs with, this is an excellent choice.

You're plugging in 40 gridseeds? They don't need power though, since they are externally powered, so how many amps of power supply did you use for your 49 port hub? I might get one. Still thinking. LOL.

Correct, I have 40 gridseeds connected. They get their power from the 12V barrel plug, so there doesn't seem to be a power shortage on the USB hub. The power supply I'm using to power the hub and 40x gridseeds is:

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Platinum-Certified-220-P2-1000-XR/dp/B00EKJQM5E

While it's probably overkill, I had it around from a previous GPU rig and the platinum rating is nice for lower power usage.

-gsupp
w00t!coin
Just got my 49 port hub in and hooked up. Klintay had great communication and sent me the tracking number promptly. He even followed up to make sure I received it. I'm happy with both klintay's service and the hub itself, which feels very solid and works as expected. So if anyone is looking for a USB hub with a large number of ports to connect many Gridseed ASICs with, this is an excellent choice.

The hub:

Fits neatly on the bottom row next to the power supply:

It completely replaced this mess of wires!

Damn!!!!!
legendary
Gsupp, they are some great pictures! Thanks for sharing  Wink

What kind of controller are you using for those 40 units? Raspberry Pi?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
So if anyone is looking for a USB hub with a large number of ports to connect many Gridseed ASICs with, this is an excellent choice.

You're plugging in 40 gridseeds? They don't need power though, since they are externally powered, so how many amps of power supply did you use for your 49 port hub? I might get one. Still thinking. LOL.
Just got my 49 port hub in and hooked up. Klintay had great communication and sent me the tracking number promptly. He even followed up to make sure I received it. I'm happy with both klintay's service and the hub itself, which feels very solid and works as expected. So if anyone is looking for a USB hub with a large number of ports to connect many Gridseed ASICs with, this is an excellent choice.

The hub:

Fits neatly on the bottom row next to the power supply:

It completely replaced this mess of wires!

Would be helpful if goodney would provide schematic to wire 5v led/cctv switching to the atx.

I second that! I just bought one of these on ebay:

5V 50A 360W DC Regulated Switching LED Power Supply

http://r.ebay.com/Apne0O

Need some help rewiring the 24P cable  Wink

Once I get my hub (from Hong Kong), power supply (from San Jose) and ATX connector (from Hong Kong), I'll do a schematic and pictures. ;-)
legendary

Would be helpful if goodney would provide schematic to wire 5v led/cctv switching to the atx.

I second that! I just bought one of these on ebay:

5V 50A 360W DC Regulated Switching LED Power Supply

http://r.ebay.com/Apne0O

Need some help rewiring the 24P cable  Wink
Activity: 395
klintay:

Design suggestion for next revision. Built in fans! Mounted in the top of the hub facing up so they blow past the miners. Maybe with an on/off switch for each column of fans.

Nice idea!

I have been thinking about the problem of not enough Amps on the 5V rail for some users. How about something like this:

It lets you connect up to 3 x PSU to one 24P ATX

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Unfortunately that Adapter only jumpers the 2nd PSU to turn on..
There's a no wiring to the other female atx related to 12v or 5v rails.
I think the best bet is to modify the hub so that it takes 12v instead.

legendary
klintay:

Design suggestion for next revision. Built in fans! Mounted in the top of the hub facing up so they blow past the miners. Maybe with an on/off switch for each column of fans.

Nice idea!

I have been thinking about the problem of not enough Amps on the 5V rail for some users. How about something like this:

It lets you connect up to 3 x PSU to one 24P ATX

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

klintay:

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
I just recieved three of these today, these are seriously awesome hubs
Pages:
Jump to: