Author

Topic: IOTA - page 394. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
www.iota.org
February 01, 2017, 03:49:54 PM
How long to wait on average before replaying?

9 milestones, about 1 hour

Thank you.
CfB->This information should one of the first Q/A in FAQ on the first page.
It's really frustrating not to know what's going on. There are a few simple questions and answers that can remove a lot of pressure from devs, management, experienced users that need to be in the FAQ on the first page.

lurker10, it can be that some regulations change from time to time, IOTA develops very quickly. Therefore, some things are not yet in FAQ. I would recommend you to ask in slack. Most are very helpful, we help wherever we can.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
February 01, 2017, 02:20:45 PM
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
February 01, 2017, 02:12:17 PM
Could somebody sent me an invitation to Slack forum.
legendary
Activity: 1344
February 01, 2017, 11:40:25 AM
hello all. Smiley

I'm trying to get my head around Iota. It looks interesting. Can anyone help me witha couple of questions.

1.What is the current approximate marketcap of IOTA?  (doesn't need to be exact)

2.How many IOTA are part of a premine, or locked up for development etc..?

Thanks in advance.  Smiley

1. 24 million.
2. zero - premine is bad  Roll Eyes. Community donated 5% of all iotas to Foundation. 

How to get the marketcap of IOTA? I can't find it on coinmarketcap.com, so I wonder how do you calculate that? Thanks.

Take the price of 1 Ti and multiply by 2779.
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
February 01, 2017, 10:25:31 AM
@SteveoMB, I had to delete your post because you quoted a banned person, be more careful next time, please.
it's fine, he read it.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
February 01, 2017, 10:12:49 AM
@SteveoMB, I had to delete your post because you quoted a banned person, be more careful next time, please.
Activity: 378
February 01, 2017, 10:06:13 AM

Thank you.
CfB->This information should one of the first Q/A in FAQ on the first page.
It's really frustrating not to know what's going on. There are a few simple questions and answers that can remove a lot of pressure from devs, management, experienced users that need to be in the FAQ on the first page.
Activity: 588
Merit: 501
February 01, 2017, 10:02:48 AM
hello all. Smiley

I'm trying to get my head around Iota. It looks interesting. Can anyone help me witha couple of questions.

1.What is the current approximate marketcap of IOTA?  (doesn't need to be exact)

1. 24 million.
2. zero - premine is bad  Roll Eyes. Community donated 5% of all iotas to Foundation. 

How to get the marketcap of IOTA? I can't find it on coinmarketcap.com, so I wonder how do you calculate that? Thanks.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
www.iota.org
February 01, 2017, 10:00:42 AM

Activity: 378
February 01, 2017, 09:42:43 AM
legendary
Activity: 1225
February 01, 2017, 07:17:13 AM
Regarding point 1:

There are two possibilities in getting IoT devices to make transactions in IOTA:
Either the device only signs the transaction locally which doesn't use much power. Then forwards it to a more powerful node that does the PoW for it. That's secure because the seed always stays on the IoT device.
Or you use a small ASIC inside the IoT device that can perform the ccurl algorithm in a very efficient manner. The IOTA team tries to do that via developping brand new trinary based hardware called Jinn.

So this point is false in several aspects: It does work on IoT devices and the PoW that IoT devices can do will actually be faster than regular CPUs due to ASICS.
legendary
February 01, 2017, 07:15:46 AM
Ok...CFB kindly adviced me to post these three legitimate points here from an user of a different thread.

"What are the major flaws of IOTA?

1. Does not work on IoT devices. Proof-of-Work is CPU and battery expensive on such micro-controllers, but due to their low-power and constrained CPUs, the Proof-of-Work that IoT devices can do is orders of magnitude less than what a normal CPU can do, which makes the PoW even less worth. Due to this problem, the second one follows 

2. Has no Sybil prevention. IOTA mechanism of joining the network requires talking to humans to exchange IPs on their Slack-channel. The consensus algorithm is flawed.

3. Has infantile community leaders such as Come-from-Beyond, hostile, threatening and entitled "holier-than-you" attitude to newcomers. Also the Iota leaders have previously been involved in failed altcoin NXT."

I think, point 3 is stupid and doesnt need an answer... but point 1 and 2 would be fine...

Greetz
Steve

1. PoW of Bitcoin is indeed very expensive, PoW required to issue a transaction in IOTA needs 10'000'000'000'000-fold fewer invocations of the hashing function. "The Proof-of-Work that IoT devices can do is orders of magnitude less than what a normal CPU can do" needs further explanation because IoT devices I've seen worked at 20% of my home PC speed, it's not "orders of magnitude".

2. PoW is anti-Sybil measure. Talking to humans is required to avoid DoS attacks while the network is small, in the future it won't be needed. What flaw do you mean?

3. ESMA (European Securities and Markets Authority) dedicated 1/3 of their report to Nxt, it doesn't look as a failure to me.
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
February 01, 2017, 07:12:41 AM
1. Explain this to: Samsung whith their IOTA wallet on your smart tv, or to BMW's IOTA wallet on their new models: in the near future;

2. With IOTA infantile method, node admins are quite satisfied with the ability to choose who may connect to their node, disallowing leeches Cool . Not a secret that the consensus algorithm is revolutionary;

3. Has infantile community leaders that are not following the btctalk standard of launch-pump-dump speculation ... this can be frustrating to the kidz on their mom's basement: average user in this forum Roll Eyes

personal opinion: those are not at all legitimate points. they are laughable, instead Grin
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
No risk, no fun!
February 01, 2017, 06:54:15 AM
Ok...CFB kindly adviced me to post these three legitimate points here from an user of a different thread.

"What are the major flaws of IOTA?

1. Does not work on IoT devices. Proof-of-Work is CPU and battery expensive on such micro-controllers, but due to their low-power and constrained CPUs, the Proof-of-Work that IoT devices can do is orders of magnitude less than what a normal CPU can do, which makes the PoW even less worth. Due to this problem, the second one follows 

2. Has no Sybil prevention. IOTA mechanism of joining the network requires talking to humans to exchange IPs on their Slack-channel. The consensus algorithm is flawed.

3. Has infantile community leaders such as Come-from-Beyond, hostile, threatening and entitled "holier-than-you" attitude to newcomers. Also the Iota leaders have previously been involved in failed altcoin NXT."

I think, point 3 is stupid and doesnt need an answer... but point 1 and 2 would be fine...

Greetz
Steve
legendary
Activity: 1344
January 31, 2017, 06:05:46 AM
hello all. Smiley

1. 24 million.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Reality is stranger than fiction
January 31, 2017, 05:54:17 AM
legendary
Activity: 1190
January 31, 2017, 05:47:22 AM
hello all. Smiley

Activity: 360
Activity: 742
Merit: 251
January 30, 2017, 09:13:26 PM
Where is the latest light wallet?
legendary
January 30, 2017, 06:03:01 PM
Thanks guys. Combining those two answers, one can have the complete picture Smiley

Is this code already translated to Verilog/VHDL to be implemented/tested in FPGA?

No, we use a special format because it's trinary, not binary.
Jump to: