Author

Topic: IOTA - page 543. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0
May 31, 2016, 06:24:20 AM
@Iotatoken: any update on the GUI?  Sorry if this has been answered recently.
GUI with a simple donation button would solve all the problems here.  I'm not a tech saavy guy and am not comfortable with CLI. I'd prefer an idiot proof way to donate. 

Thanks for your hard work.

and @community chillax.  Everything will be fine and the foundation will be funded since it is in the best interest of the community to do so, since if the goal is not met, everyone's software token will likely lose all of it's value Wink Wouldn't want to see that happen...
legendary
Activity: 888
Merit: 1000
Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.
May 31, 2016, 05:34:50 AM
They are safe in any address as long as you have full control of who uses the seed hard to generate the address. Unless every hdd in the world fails at once.

So when I'm generating new address, I will be given the seed for the generation of it?
legendary
Activity: 1092
May 31, 2016, 05:22:38 AM
ok finally got it working on a mac.

claimed and donated!

Thanks ...

Can you post the steps you made to get it working on a Mac?
Thanks
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
May 31, 2016, 05:19:58 AM
When IOTAs are claimed, and if I send them to another freshly made address, what needs to be backed up, so I'm sure IOTAs are safe in the event of say HDD crash?

They are safe in any address as long as you have full control of who uses the seed hard to generate the address. Unless every hdd in the world fails at once.
legendary
Activity: 888
Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.
May 31, 2016, 05:12:36 AM
When IOTAs are claimed, and if I send them to another freshly made address, what needs to be backed up, so I'm sure IOTAs are safe in the event of say HDD crash?
legendary
Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013
K-ing®
May 31, 2016, 05:01:49 AM
claimed and donated!
6%

i hope big players will donate 10%
legendary
Activity: 924
TokenHouse decentralized cryptocurrency exchange
May 31, 2016, 04:57:24 AM
I have spent 6% of my ICO-Holding, what is more than 20% of my remaining holding (sold already a lot at pre-market)
So I have given the amount of 1'287'278'299'415 IOTA to the Foundation.

I hope others will follow here.

I'm sure others will follow.  Smiley
Btw do we have foundation and big deal addresses yet?
I know I could donate via the Iota client but I would also like to donate to the big deal pool.
Activity: 1069
Merit: 682
May 31, 2016, 01:25:18 AM
I have spent 6% of my ICO-Holding, what is more than 20% of my remaining holding (sold already a lot at pre-market)
So I have given the amount of 1'287'278'299'415 IOTA to the Foundation.

I hope others will follow here.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
May 31, 2016, 12:03:52 AM
This whole debate seems pointless to me.

Of course it will get funded! Once it is live and on an exchange those horrible and greedy speculators (i.e. people) will make sure it is funded.

Think about it for a second. All you have to do is wait for the price to drop with that uncertainty post launch. The more doubt, the lower the value of the iotas everyone holds, the more they can continue to donate with a lower perceived fiat value.

If I gave 1btc at ico, that is now worth 20 btc, so my 5% feels like a 1btc donation. If there is great uncertainty and iota value falls back to market cap of $500k as we all jump ship then those who do hold the bags will face an much easier decision, where donating 5% of what they have (regardless of what they've given before) will now seem tiny and the only way to get their coin to rocket again.

If you are prepared to keep the funding open post launch with no defined or public 'closing date' to hit that 5% then I don't see how you can fail to hit it within a month or two. Someone will be left holding the bags and they won't want them to go to zero, they will want the magic bullet that sends them rocketing again Wink.

I'd just chill out and launch the ship with full gui and donate button there until target is reached.... the foundation will get its 5% within a month (maybe two) imo because the holders will want it to go up and they will be impatient. People are more greedy than they are selfish and stupid, although we are all obviously all three some of the time Wink.

+1 it's unrealistic to expect everyone to be reached by launch AND for them to donate.

Do we know what James (jl777) thinks it the foundationñ I recall him contributing something like 20btc .
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
May 30, 2016, 11:46:21 PM
so despite all the controversy around my recent post, let's be blunt and clear, this is beta plan (aka back up plan when we as a community fail to establish a properly funded foundation).

1)iota 1.0 is launched. software prepurchased is delivered as promised. done deal to those who whine that they paid for this, certainly we all did.

2)those who wish (and have already done so by donating more than 5% or have not made a claim but wish to 5% of their claimable allocated to the foundation) to form a well funded foundation with the current vision for IOTA project that cfb and David are seeing, please stand up.

3)Regarding those who have purchases iotas on the secondary market, i believe that we can have them transferred over at no tax (or we would refuse their generosity). So the above mentioned filter will only be applicable to genesis iota claimers.

4)we will go to iota 1.1 (or better 2.0) together.

5)those who wish to go the other way of a directionless project, go ahead with their bags.

do not flame me for saying this, i am just being blunt trying to make it crystal clear and offering a way out for everyone.

tl,dr; I am not threatening any single one, everyone is free to voice their opinions and if a large enough number of people agree with an idea, we will have "the main chain" : )

so be generous and worry not of the freerider problem, but do what we think is right and best for IOTA project then people with the same goal can always sort it out together.

Stay cool,

just to clear up some confusions:

1) I am in no way associated with cfb or david, except for the fact that we share certain similar goals on getting a certain project/idea to be the backbone of the iot ecojomy.

2) my opinion is of my own.

3) noone is threatening anyone, not even an implied threat was meant. because we are working in this open source environment. (i.e anyone was free to take ethereum code and ran with it, but whether they manage to persuade the devs to join them and whether they manage to get another round of funding is another story)

4) I am just trying to create a backup plan for people sharing a common goal.

5) noone is leaving anyone behind. it is only about whether you decide to join us on this vision of seeing IOTA going forward with the best possible option at the moment.

remain calm and be generous Smiley

Activity: 179
May 30, 2016, 07:51:30 PM
This whole debate seems pointless to me.

Of course it will get funded! Once it is live and on an exchange those horrible and greedy speculators (i.e. people) will make sure it is funded.

Think about it for a second. All you have to do is wait for the price to drop with that uncertainty post launch. The more doubt, the lower the value of the iotas everyone holds, the more they can continue to donate with a lower perceived fiat value.

If I gave 1btc at ico, that is now worth 20 btc, so my 5% feels like a 1btc donation. If there is great uncertainty and iota value falls back to market cap of $500k as we all jump ship then those who do hold the bags will face an much easier decision, where donating 5% of what they have (regardless of what they've given before) will now seem tiny and the only way to get their coin to rocket again.

If you are prepared to keep the funding open post launch with no defined or public 'closing date' to hit that 5% then I don't see how you can fail to hit it within a month or two. Someone will be left holding the bags and they won't want them to go to zero, they will want the magic bullet that sends them rocketing again Wink.

I'd just chill out and launch the ship with full gui and donate button there until target is reached.... the foundation will get its 5% within a month (maybe two) imo because the holders will want it to go up and they will be impatient. People are more greedy than they are selfish and stupid, although we are all obviously all three some of the time Wink.
legendary
Activity: 924
May 30, 2016, 07:19:59 PM
Suggestion (not vital, but anyway): What if each 5% (or plus) Foundation contributor earned the "title" (badge, class, or whatever) of "IOTA Foundation Member" (or "IOTA Foundation Contributor" ...)...

i love this

That's a damn good idea. To be quite serious, "premiums" (recognition) for donators is a mainstay of PBS fundraising. It really works!
legendary
Activity: 1073
May 30, 2016, 07:02:05 PM
So what's the estimated launching date of IOTA?
legendary
Activity: 1540
May 30, 2016, 06:56:21 PM

claimed and donated!

Thanks ...
Thank you!!  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1540
May 30, 2016, 06:56:00 PM
IOTA testing of 0.9.17
http://forum.iotatoken.com/t/iota-testing-of-0-9-17-has-commenced/274/1

By @CfB : "Added human-compatible representation of the transactions history, now instead of your own address you will see counterparty's address (or "..." if there are several addresses). Amounts were changed in a similar way. Your address is seen only for transfer with zero amount."
legendary
Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002
May 30, 2016, 05:49:04 PM

claimed and donated!

Thanks ...
legendary
Activity: 1148
May 30, 2016, 05:41:33 PM
So how many more IOTA for the big Deal and how many more IOTA for the foundation currently?
legendary
Activity: 1205
May 30, 2016, 05:32:36 PM
I need the address to donate to the foundation. @Iotatoken can you send me that?

I can't use the percentage in the wallet anymore, I already claimed, can't do it again. CfB gave me the task to ask you for the address.  Grin

People can join testing at http://chat.iotatoken.com/home. I figured it out, so anyone can.  Wink
Activity: 226
Power the World for FREE
May 30, 2016, 05:21:51 PM
the question is: are there enough people that can do the math. It reverse. So that is the question. Are there enough Iota holders that can comprehend the reverse math. Someone else was talking about this too.

I think if you had the foresight see far enough ahead and buy the tokens back in 2015 then we will have plenty that can do this easy reverse math equation.

You give away 1 of your 10 - lets say - 1 caret Diamonds - YES FOR FREE - The other 9 you have left will turn into 5 caret Diamonds.

you see its reverse math by subtracting 1 you get 35 more carets of Diamonds.

Another way to look at it is like having to give up one of the ten so Diamonds remain worth a lot of money. If you don't give 1 away. All of a sudden a mad scientist will figure out how to make them for a dollar a piece. alll you have to do is give away 1 of the ten and the mad scientist gets hit by a bus.
Activity: 882
May 30, 2016, 05:18:32 PM
i want to donate too but i only can after launch, not through the current process, i think there are alot of people in my position now.
lets say the guy selling to me through escrow sold almost his whole genesis account. he can't donate when claiming cause he has contractual obligations to me and i can't donate until launch and our deal is done. now he could get at me rearrange the sale conditions claim and donate in my name but thats to complicated for most i think.

I think once the coin is launched and people feel safe with the wallet the donations will come in from all sides. preferably there would be some time from launch till exchange listing which could be used effectivly to build up more attention for the Foundation and its importance, including all kinds of initiatives to give an incentive to donate. perhaps also a lottery between all donators

lets brainstorm on what could make people donate (even reasons you don't understand) rather than attacking each other for a "failed" Foundation funding that hasn't even had a chance to happen yet.
Jump to: