Pages:
Author

Topic: Is the West gearing up to invade Russia once again? - page 36. (Read 58223 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
Russia takes retaliatory steps against NATO buildup near border – military

Good. The United States went ballistic in the 1960s, when the Soviets moved some missile close to the US - Cuba border. But they have no problem in conducting military exercises near the Russian border. Hypocrites.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
Russia takes retaliatory steps against NATO buildup near border – military

Russia has to take retaliatory measures as NATO is building up its forces near the country’s borders, General Valery Gerasimov, the chief of general staff of the Russian armed forces, said on Friday. “NATO's military groupings in the Baltic states, Poland and Romania are being built up, as well as the military presence of the bloc in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Black Sea,” Reuters quoted Gerasimov as saying at a conference in Moscow. The events in Ukraine have aggravated a military-political situation in Europe, he said.
http://rt.com/news/line/2014-05-23/#62300
legendary
actually, Japan fcked the whole thing up, if they continued the invasion on the USSR instead of attacking the US, USSR would fall

I don't think so. The USSR was able to defeat the Nazis almost single-handedly. The Japanese ranked far below both the Germans and the Soviets, as far as military capabilities were concerned. A combined attack by the Nazis and Japs? My guess is that the Soviets would have still won...
legendary
The following question and my reply were posted in a gas-related topic, but I think they fit better here, so re-posting:

you're from russia? russians generally, and i'm not implying that everyone is (but it's a trend), harbor a lot of hatred.. it's the nihilistic russian way. how can you explain these russian anti-gay laws? why do you think it's happening now (recently) all of a sudden? sometimes, in order to catalyze people, you need to find a central figure for them to hate on. here is an excerpt from the article linked above

It has also triggered a spike in homophobic violence, the subject of worldwide protests today in support of Russia's LGBT community, and a Dispatches documentary on Channel 4.

You seem to be genuinely questioning, as opposed to derisive, so I'll try to answer you. If I am wrong, then at least my answer will server to enlighten others.

You raise several questions, but they all boil down to one: the perception of Russia through a Russophobe's glasses.

First, regarding Crimea and Putin's popularity, you put the cart in front of the horse. The popularity ratings rose after Putin defended Crimea and Russian interests there. People still remember drunkard Yeltsin's lack of action there, when Crimea voted for independence and asked Russia for support and reunification in 1990's.

Before I answer further, as I said before, I am Russian, but I live in the West and see how Russophobe atmosphere is being imposed. Balthazar is from Ukraine, so though I don't know his nationality, for all intents and purposes, he's Russian.

Now, the question of hatred. If you go to Russia, you'll see little hatred. You'l see friendliness and willingness to help. The concept of hatred is being touted most in the Western media. What you take for hatred, is defensiveness. Historically, each time Russia started to get demonised, when Russophobic ideas were starting to get mainstream in the West, it was a signal preceding an invasion of Russia. The more known cases is 1812, 1914, 1941. So forgive Russians for not forgetting their history.

What happens next is that Russia closes down, takes a defensive stance, seeing Russophobic rhetoric from outside, people unite, expecting a physical attack. This is then further used by the West to show Russians as "barbaric" in Napoleon's and Hitler's terms, a nation that needs to be cleaned out or subjugated for it's own and Europe's good. (People tend to forget afterwards that for example "civilized" Napoleonic army left Moscow in ruins in 1812, while "barbaric" Russians in 1814 behaved cordially and with honour in conquered Paris.)

Russia tries to be open, friendly (Olympics, Eurovision (read the lyrics of the song from Russia - it resonates deeply with how Russians want the world to see them)), but each time they are slammed down, and as a result close up.

Now to the question of gay. As Balthazar said, no one in Russia cares what they do in their private life and that was the state of affairs until the West started "protecting" their rights. All this publicity is doing them a disservice. First the law is not "anti-gay", but "anti-commercial of gay propaganda directed at children", often paid for by Western NGOs. Now, what happens. In the light of what I wrote above, when the West suddenly starts to demonise Russia on yet another front as "anti-gay", people, who previously didn't care what gay did, suddenly see that as yet another attack against Russia. Suddenly the gay guy next door, who is an OK bloke is seen as a hand of the West in its attempt to destabilise Russia. Suddenly people turn on the gay - some verbally, while the more extremist factions, physically. This gets touted in the Western media as further proof of Russia being anti-gay, and generally anti-World, and the vicious cycle get reinforced.

What I wrote above had been said many times before, but patience is a finite resource. I think I have more of it than most, and even my patience is running thin. One can write only so many polite responses refuting the misconceptions, before you take the national way of dealing with external assaults, by becoming passive aggressive and telling the world to shut up and mind its own business, while closing in yourself (and if the word decides to attack, you take to the arms).

The most known saying in Russia, attributed to Aleksandr Nevskij in 1240: "He who comes to Russia with a sword will die by the sword". He allegedly said it in the context of releasing war prisoners, telling them "Go to the foreign part and tell everyone that Russia is alive. Let everyone come as guests to us without fear. Yet anyone who comes to us with a sword will die by the sword. The Russian land has stood on this pillar, and will continue to stand on it." The historical accuracy of this statement of the context can be disputed, however the core meaning is very much valid today.

Having grown in the West I see the need to be more verbal in addressing the problems, in trying to bring forth understanding, so as to prevent conflicts.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049
No, I dont think so. I think the west ar intelligent enough to realize an invasion on russia will be even risky for itself becoz it may lead to World War III
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
No country has ever successfully conquer Russia before.

Napoleon learn the lesson the hard way when he tried it.

yes, but Hitler didnt learn from Napoleon, and Obama dont learn from Hitler  Cheesy

actually, Japan fcked the whole thing up, if they continued the invasion on the USSR instead of attacking the US, USSR would fall

Sorry, but it seems that you came the day after the fair... Cool
legendary
Related news, this time from Iran.

Russia plans to build up to eight new nuclear reactors in Iran

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/uk-iran-nuclear-russia-plants-idUKKBN0E21GJ20140522

..... Eight nuclear reactors? That's it, I'm leaving this planet.
What's problem? Or you've listened greenpeace zombies too much? Smiley

He is probably afraid that the ayatollahs would go mad beyond their normal and decide to blow up all those reactors... Cool
You don't need a nuclear reactor for this. If you wish to create a problem, then there are many ways to do it in much simpler way.  Smiley

Yeah, but these ways may not be available to ayatollahs at all or to the extent and effect being looked for... Grin
Activity: 196
Merit: 101

yes, but Hitler didnt learn from Napoleon, and Obama dont learn from Hitler  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/uk-iran-nuclear-russia-plants-idUKKBN0E21GJ20140522

He is probably afraid that the ayatollahs would go mad beyond their normal and decide to blow up all those reactors... Cool
You don't need a nuclear reactor for this. If you wish to create a problem, then there are many ways to do it in much simpler way.  Smiley
legendary

He is probably afraid that the ayatollahs would go mad beyond their normal one day and decide to blow up all those reactors... Cool
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

Greenpeace is just a bitch in the service. They spread histories about nuclear industry in order to protect own investment. That's normal, but they're telling not entire truth.

If you don't know, natural fuel like oil, gas and coal contains a significant amount of radioactive isotopes (descendants of thorium and uranuim). That's the reason why coal ash from any average coal-fueled thermal power plant provides 200-250% of radioactivity in addition to natural background. Coal or oil are really the reasons to be afraid of.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

legendary

legendary
A fun move from US on Romanian and Polish soil:

US tests cornerstone of European antimissile shield
http://rt.com/news/160696-aegis-ashore-test-launch/

I read the name of the missile system, when I first glanced at it as "Aegis Asswhore"  Shocked

The US plans to conduct a test with a real target next year before a scheduled deployment of Aegis Ashore in Romania. A second similar system is to be deployed in Poland in 2018.

The installation, designed to be transportable, has been dismantled and is ready to be moved to Romania’s Deveselu site to become part of the $134 million antimissile facility, according to Scanlon.

Time to build a European defensive shield against America, oh, sorry, Chilie on Cuba?

These tests makes one wonder what the US is doing abroad and it fails to protect its systems domestically:

US military failed to recapture seized nuclear weapon in test attack – internal review
http://rt.com/usa/160724-usa-nuclear-test-failed/
legendary
^^^ The US bullies are badly in need of a similar message. They are provoking Russia wherever they can, including the Baltics, Central Asia, Caucasus and Ukraine. Time has come for some tit-for-tat measures.
legendary
A though-provoking Op-Edge with journalist Neil Clark:

Just imagine... If Russia had toppled the Canadian government
http://rt.com/op-edge/160168-imagine-russia-us-double-standards/

We already know how the US would respond, if another country sought to put nuclear weapons close to its territory – in 1962 the world came to the brink of war in the Cuban missile crisis. But while a third world war would undoubtedly be threatened again if Russian forces held military exercises in Mexico, it’s not considered provocative for NATO to hold military exercises in Estonia.
legendary
I don't think that Zhirinovsky would be worse than Obama... He uses populist rhetoric, but in fact, he is much smarter than anybody in the US political life. We even don't have to mention that he have PhD, professor degree and able to speak five languages.

Administration-wise, he won't be worse. But for sure he is ultra-aggressive. Once he threatened to invade Northern Kazakhstan, to protect the rights of minorities there. He has even talked about the possibility of forcibly re-acquiring Alaska from the US. That will result in a nuclear war for sure.
legendary
I agree, nobody is stupid enough to start world war 3.

Well... right now no one seems to be stupid enough to start WW3. But imagine the situation after a few years when Hillary Clinton becomes the POTUS and Vladimir Zhirinovsky the president of Russia.  Grin
I don't think that Zhirinovsky would be worse than Obama... He uses populist rhetoric, but in fact, he is much smarter than anybody in the US political life. We even don't have to mention that he have PhD, professor degree and able to speak five languages.

This doesn't prevent him from being a clown... Do you wanna have a clown as a head of the state? Grin

Pages:
Jump to: