Pages:
Author

Topic: IT is likely the first person who will live to be 1,000yo is already alive today - page 5. (Read 4480 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

We always forget science and new ideas are not locked in separate vacuums. For example: the invention of concrete, then the invention of the elevator, then the invention of reinforced concrete, then the invention of sky scrappers... All together took 2000 years...

Now what is 2000 years if we can live to a 1000 years? I don't believe no other scientific discoveries will be made in a 1000 years. Propulsion, cheap energy, new "impossible" materials, etc...

Don't forget: Even if you start the treatment of living up to 1000 years at let say 70, you would gain 30 years of youth for the first time. Then the progress and the numbers of years you'll ad up will be exponential. Just like Moore's law and so many other advances in human technology (besides the pyramids and other multiple ton monuments we have yet to know how to re build but that's for another thread...)

So a "lifetime" to reach another planet or for people to get on other places, low cost space building cities, etc, will take place at the same time people will try to push back death.

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
If everyone is able to live up to 1000 years, then the earth's population will increase by 1,500%. Right now, the population is around 7.3 billion. After a millennium, we can expect some 110 billion people living on earth (provided no other planet is made suitable for human habitation by then)!

Faster than light travel may not be possible.  If that's true, we will never relocate to another class M planet, and we will never interact with another intelligent species.

Since we haven't met any aliens yet, we have to assume either faster than light travel is not possible, or it is possible but intelligent life (that survives its own destruction) is rare.

Class M planet is a Start Trek fictional designation.  There are in fact known, habitable planets which are relatively close to earth.  Gliese 832 c, for example, is described as a Planetary Class - warm superterran, Habitable class - mesoplanet, scoring a 0.81 on the Earth Similarity Index and it's only 16.1 ly away.  No need to reach (referring to my Star Trek Warp speed chart) Warp 1 for that.  We could make it there on an impulse cruise within a human lifespan!  Who's in?

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
If everyone is able to live up to 1000 years, then the earth's population will increase by 1,500%. Right now, the population is around 7.3 billion. After a millennium, we can expect some 110 billion people living on earth (provided no other planet is made suitable for human habitation by then)!

That would be like more than 100 billion more people figuring out how to make war. We'll obliterate ourselves long before we reach 110 billion pop, or anyone reaches 1000-y-o.

Smiley

Hmm... population increase can be a trigger for war. Here the population is increasing and proportionally, the availability of the resources is shrinking. According to the logic, the most over-crowded nations should be the first ones to declare war (Bangladesh, Philippines.etc).
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Faster than light travel may not be possible.  If that's true, we will never relocate to another class M planet, and we will never interact with another intelligent species.

Since we haven't met any aliens yet, we have to assume either faster than light travel is not possible, or it is possible but intelligent life (that survives its own destruction) is rare.

legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

If im stuck at the certain age for a longer period i would prefer it to be younger the better, for most of us i doubt there will be anything to help us in our time.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373

That would be like more than 100 billion more people figuring out how to make war. We'll obliterate ourselves long before we reach 110 billion pop, or anyone reaches 1000-y-o.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
legendary
I would do anything to get my hands on something like this, but I can imagine a crap ton of movies coming out about how a drug like this ends up yazd (Yet another zombie disaster).

urrgh I can't stand it when people say "science has gone too far"

When people say this, they are defining "science" in the wrong way. They should be saying "engineering" rather than "science."

Smiley
legendary

Docile robots are cheaper to maintain in the long run, especially with Amazon Cosmos' full space debris coverage for the first 1000 years...

What I was trying to say is: would abortion still be a viable solution for creature able to live for 10000 years, when space and energy won't be an issue anymore...

Cool

Abortion isn't a viable solution right now. It is the reason that people will not live for 1,000 years, no matter how good our science is. God doesn't accept murder, not even abortion murder.

Smiley
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
I would do anything to get my hands on something like this, but I can imagine a crap ton of movies coming out about how a drug like this ends up yazd (Yet another zombie disaster).

First locomotives with wagons for passengers: "Science went too far. Our internal organs won't cope with the speed..."

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
Well I for one am not in the least interested in overstaying my time on earth, I lost my sense of awe a long time ago and I'm not even old. I can't bear the thought of sticking around these parts for another 1000 years, no matter how wide I stretch my imagination in terms of new tech/theories/possibilities/whatnot  Cheesy I can totally understand that some would find a gazillion things to do though  Smiley
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Also... If we live to 1000 years and beyond, each and every life would even be more precious... and 'concretely sacred'...

Cool

Especially if we were owners of countless numbers of slaves who also lived for thousands of years.

Grin

Docile robots are cheaper to maintain in the long run, especially with Amazon Cosmos' full space debris coverage for the first 1000 years...

What I was trying to say is: would abortion still be a viable solution for creature able to live for 10000 years, when space and energy won't be an issue anymore...

Cool

legendary

Also... If we live to 1000 years and beyond, each and every life would even be more precious... and 'concretely sacred'...

Cool

Especially if we were owners of countless numbers of slaves who also lived for thousands of years.

Grin
legendary

Nothing will change. You'll still have the young, the adult, the old. The only thing that will change is your relation to TIME. Instead of 24 hours your pocket watch will have cycles of 24 000 years...

Some trees live for multiple thousands of years. No big deal. We will be like trees, but with a home and a hammock on Ganymede.

Cool

It's going to take a lot of terra-forming to make Ganymede livable enough to have a hammock on it.

Cheesy

Hey! I got that moon for cheap. As soon as I get my hammock radiation and micro meteorite proof I'll make all upcoming posts from my new patio. 2 to 6 hrs delay for replies though, due to bad weather...  Sad

You might not even need radiation proofing, as far out as Ganymede is.    Cheesy
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Cool

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Nothing will change. You'll still have the young, the adult, the old. The only thing that will change is your relation to TIME. Instead of 24 hours your pocket watch will have cycles of 24 000 years...

Some trees live for multiple thousands of years. No big deal. We will be like trees, but with a home and a hammock on Ganymede.

Cool

It's going to take a lot of terra-forming to make Ganymede livable enough to have a hammock on it.

Cheesy

Hey! I got that moon for cheap. As soon as I get my hammock radiation and micro meteorite proof I'll make all upcoming posts from my new patio. 2 to 6 hrs delay for replies though, due to bad weather...  Sad

legendary

Cool

Cheesy
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: