Pages:
Author

Topic: Linux mining distro for the Raspberry PI - MinePeon - page 57. (Read 685021 times)

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
How difficult would it be to set it up to optionally write to a USB drive volume, if one was found? (I know this sounds like a feature request, but it isn't. I promise. I was just thinking out loud...)

Yikes!  It is possable... even better though, if Minepeon ran on a BeagleBone Black it could use the eMMC onboard (same stuff as in SSD drives) we would avoid the problem altogether!

Neil

P.S. I have a test rig running minepeon on the BeagleBone Black right now

legendary
For when a new version? Smiley

Going to try again for this weekend.  I am still having problems getting cgminer to run stable (to be fair, it is not cgminer's fault, it is the USB sub systems that cgminer uses in the raspberry pi's kernel that causes a kernel oops.  Bfgminer is not affected but it does not have a fury driver so that does not help us).

I might get a PR (pre release) version out running bfgminer only though this weekend regardless though so people can start to test the fixes etc... that comes with the new build/ports system.

Neil
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
apparently, running minepeon now completely killed my SD card. i don't have any hard proof, but i suspect it was constantly writing to the card.

You don't need to prove it, I can tell you for certain.

MinePeon writes to the SD card a minimum of once every 5 minutes to record stats.  Apart from that I try to keep writes to a minimum but it definitely does them.

Neil

EDIT: A good SD card is always a must.

How difficult would it be to set it up to optionally write to a USB drive volume, if one was found? (I know this sounds like a feature request, but it isn't. I promise. I was just thinking out loud...)

I'm a linux noob, but it would be cool if you could set the boot volume as read-only somehow, and even have all the OS temp file writes and everything go to the USB drive volume...
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
For when a new version? Smiley
Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
Is there a recent walk through for someone wanting to setup a new Pi with ASICMiners - think steps a grade 6 can follow. Smiley
legendary
apparently, running minepeon now completely killed my SD card. i don't have any hard proof, but i suspect it was constantly writing to the card.

You don't need to prove it, I can tell you for certain.

MinePeon writes to the SD card a minimum of once every 5 minutes to record stats.  Apart from that I try to keep writes to a minimum but it definitely does them.

Neil

EDIT: A good SD card is always a must.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
1.21 GIGA WATTS
@tk1337 and @MineForemam.com

I'm curious to know if 'MinePeon' could be ported to run on a Beaglebone for running KNC miners..?

We need an open source miner to run the KNC stuff but apart from that yeah, it is totally doable.  It is a badly kept secret on the MinePeon forums that the new build system even has an output for the Beaglebone (I have a prototype running right now with MinePeon).

If yes, what would you require to make this work..?

TIME!!! Unfortunately I still need my non-bitcoin work to make a living. 

Neil
thanks for quick reply...

what do you mean 'open source miner'...?  Do you need the source code from KNC..?  Is that the driver or is there more to it..?

Yes I'm also chewing into more time than I can afford in this bitcoin world Sad but I'm enjoying it   Grin

PS. I'm expecting a Jupiter later this week if I could help or even try the prototype Minepeon.. 

Ultimately, If I was KNC I would have employed you to develop this properly.. which I mentioned in their forum.
legendary

I'm curious to know if 'MinePeon' could be ported to run on a Beaglebone for running KNC miners..?

We need an open source miner to run the KNC stuff but apart from that yeah, it is totally doable.  It is a badly kept secret on the MinePeon forums that the new build system even has an output for the Beaglebone (I have a prototype running right now with MinePeon).

TIME!!! Unfortunately I still need my non-bitcoin work to make a living. 

Neil
1.21 GIGA WATTS

legendary
Question #1 - Is it technically possible to have a web interface created that can monitor multiple MinePeon machines?

Absolutely, it actually even in the works.  It is what I call the "MineForeman".  It has not seen much work done to it in a while (time being the problem) but it still find's all of the MinePeon's on my networks and starts recording data from them (it is actually very useful for debugging).

Question #2 - Can I commission you to do this?  (If so, will reach out via PM)

I was hoping that the donations were going to fund it (and many other things) but it has not worked out that way, out of 20,000+ downloads and many running MinePeon's only about 15-20 donate on a regular basis.

If you are willing to step in and help out I am sure we can works something out though Cheesy .

Neil

P.S. [email protected] is better than the PM system, at least it will be around tomorrow Tongue .
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Question #1 - Is it technically possible to have a web interface created that can monitor multiple MinePeon machines? (If yes, see #2.  If no, ignore #2.)
Question #2 - Can I commission you to do this?  (If so, will reach out via PM)

#1 - yes

I'm actually in the middle of making a system that grabs data from the rPi's on the network with a simple REST API and stores it in one location, also allowing me to see trends and other information.

Of course I am making this to play nice with pool API's as well, so I can see side-by-side what the miners are doing, what the pool is doing, etc...
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
I can't even get these hubs to hash without some serious HW errors unless i only have like 2 usb miners in each of the hubs connected to the main hub....  Any help on how to get 15 miners working well on 3 dlink hubs please let me know.  Or do i need a 4th to spread out the power, all i know is the roswell 10 port can easly take 7 or 8 just cant use it like the dlink in that i get com errors?  i dont know i dont have 2 to try..

I thought the same about the power draw.. His pi's are running off his hubs, which i have and they are giving me problems.  When I connect 2 dlinks to one, and that one's connect to pi. i cant even run 10 on the 2 connected hubs that way, 1 always doesnt start and have hardware errors.  And my Pi is powered with its own supply.  LOST!

I refuse to run my rPi's off the hubs, just doesn't seem logical when I have tons of extra 5v 1amp USB connectors sitting around (Apple i-Device chargers), plus I recently bought a nice surge protector that was laid out spaciously (to allow for power adapters), small surprise was that it also had 2x USB 5v @ 2a connections, so now I use those.

Also worth mentioning (possibly), power conditioning, not sure if this plays a huge role in things or not, but I noticed when I switched from a cheap surge protector coming off my UPS system to a not-so-cheap surge protector which had in-line power conditioning as well and not connected to my UPS, my rate of hardware errors has drastically gone down, a lot. Found this to be interesting, since I only changed the surge protector and the outlet to where it was getting the power.

I run RHB-500 Rosewill 10-Port hubs w/8 usable... I tried the "use the red wire (5v) and ground to a barrel-plug adapter from a PSU" (to get it to run all 10 ports) however the PSU I bought for $10 (still 400watt), tired it on one hub, couldn't get more than 6 to run... and couldn't find my multi-meter so I just said screw it and went back to using the power bricks, lol. I imagine it's due to the cheap-as-hell PSU...

Yeah i have 8 on a roswell in my config like i said and no problems with that guy going to replace these dhubs with another roswell.
Activity: 756
Question #1 - Is it technically possible to have a web interface created that can monitor multiple MinePeon machines? (If yes, see #2.  If no, ignore #2.)
Question #2 - Can I commission you to do this?  (If so, will reach out via PM)
Activity: 3
but url is stratum+tcp://asc.coinmine.pl:6110

Confirmend bug ... I will have to fix that, it has something to do with the way php encodes JSON.

In the mean time, you don't actually need to put the "stratum+tcp://" in.  In fact it is probably bets that you don't.  The miners are actually very smart at working out how to access a mining port.

Neil

Do not write the characters " in the right places.

Setting writes like this:
Code:
{
    "algo": "c",
    "api-listen": true,
    "api-port": 4028,
    "expiry": 120,
    "hotplug": 5,

A write should be like this:
Code:
{
    "api-port": "4028",
    "expiry": "120",
    "hotplug": "5",
Wed
legendary
Activity: 1231
Merit: 1018
hi ...

where can I set ... special cgminer commands like --avalon-options 115200:16:10:d:256 --bitburner-voltage 1230
so that it starts cgminer with these commands automaticly ...

sry if Im blind maybee i missed the info somewhere then please link it to mee ... so I can read up.

thx

vim /usr/lib/systemd/system/cgminer.service
Activity: 434
Merit: 265
hi ...

where can I set ... special cgminer commands like --avalon-options 115200:16:10:d:256 --bitburner-voltage 1230
so that it starts cgminer with these commands automaticly ...

sry if Im blind maybee i missed the info somewhere then please link it to mee ... so I can read up.

thx
legendary
but url is stratum+tcp://asc.coinmine.pl:6110

Confirmend bug ... I will have to fix that, it has something to do with the way php encodes JSON.

In the mean time, you don't actually need to put the "stratum+tcp://" in.  In fact it is probably bets that you don't.  The miners are actually very smart at working out how to access a mining port.

Neil
Activity: 3
I use latest git revision.
After restart, and connect putty to RPi
I wrote
screen -r
and see:
Code:
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Started cgminer 3.5.0
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Loaded configuration file /opt/minepeon/etc/miner.conf
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Error in configuration file, partially loaded.
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Start cgminer with -T to see what failed to load.
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Started cgminer 3.5.0
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Loaded configuration file /opt/minepeon/etc/miner.conf
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Error in configuration file, partially loaded.
 [2013-10-07 15:45:16] Start cgminer with -T to see what failed to load.
 [2013-10-07 15:45:17] Need to specify at least one pool server.
Input server details.
URL:

MinePeon write this config
Code:
File: miner.conf

{
    "api-port": 4028,
    "expiry": 120,
    "hotplug": 5,
    "log": 5,
    "no-pool-disable": true,
    "queue": 1,
    "scan-time": 60,
    "shares": 0,
    "kernel-path": "\/opt\/minepeon\/bin",
    "api-allow": "W:0\/0",
    "pools": [
        {
            "url": "stratum tcp:\/\/asc.coinmine.pl:6110",
            "user": "bagros.pi",
            "pass": 123
        }
    ]
}

but url is stratum+tcp://asc.coinmine.pl:6110 (!!  +  !!). When saving the configuration file removes the + character.
This is example.

Working config:
Code:
{
    "api-port": "4028",
    "expiry": "120",
    "hotplug": "5",
    "log": "5",
    "no-pool-disable": true,
    "queue": "1",