Pages:
Author

Topic: Logarithmic (non-linear) regression - Bitcoin estimated value - page 13. (Read 117628 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
Activity: 770
Merit: 629
I'm not sure about the exact type of growth of your function. What you seem to be mapping is logarithmic growth (slow) on a log chart (fast). Stripped of its minor constants, your formula is of the form 10^ln(t) for time = t. ln(t) grows extremely slow over time, but the result is used as a positive, growing exponent.

10ln(x) = xln(10)

Thanks. Feel like an idiot for missing that.

Which would make it about quadratic growth. Interesting.

Yes I thought so too. If you buy the Metcalf's Law valuation argument (I don't entirely), that corresponds roughly with linear growth of usage. Which interestingly is what Chris Dixon has said they are seeing in his businesses (mostly Coinbase I think).

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty new to bitcoin, looked first at it this summer.  I also did some curve fitting to the historical data in log scale.  Of course, one has to be extremely cautious when extrapolating from early price movements, but intuitively the idea that the bitcoin price should "do something" is pretty clear.  I'm cautiously also buying modest amounts of bitcoin... for my retirement in a few decades, based upon similar extrapolations.

When looking at the long term (and not doing day trading), one must always look at the fundamentals.  Now, bitcoin is supposed to be a monetary asset, in the same way as fiat, or as physical gold: it doesn't serve any other purpose but as "money", that is, intermediate vector of value.  A monetary asset is in a certain way a "frozen Ponzi scheme" or a "frozen bubble" to some extend in my opinion: the only reason why you give it value today (why you want to spend real effort and other monetary assets on it) is that you believe that someone else will estimate it has value tomorrow, and that you will get something for it in return.
Shares, houses, and other investments also have a part of "monetary asset", but they usually also have another cash flow associated to them, like dividends, rent or usage (you can *live* in a house), so there is a "floor" to their price, which is their cash flow or usage.  Gold has a very limited "usage" in jewels and so on, but is essentially a nearly purely monetary asset.

Now, for a purely monetary asset, its "value" is solely determined by the "quantity theory of money", which states that in steady state:
P x Q = M x V

where P is the price of goods, Q is the quantity of goods bought with the monetary asset, M is the amount of monetary asset, and V is the average velocity of the monetary asset.

The "price of a bitcoin" B is then 1/P, and we have:

B = 1/P = Q / (M x V)

So you can expect the price of a bitcoin to be the amount of stuff (expressed in dollars) divided by the amount of bitcoin in circulation M, and divided by the velocity V.

Now, 1/V is given by the "(harmonic) average holding time" of a bitcoin between two buys, which we can call T.

We hence have:

B = Q x T / M

Or: the market capitalisation is B x M = Q x T

In other words, the market capitalisation is grossly given by the value of all stuff bought with bitcoin, times the (harmonic) average hold time of a bitcoin.

Many expectations of "too the moon" are based upon a similar "holding time" T for fiat and for bitcoin: in that case, the market capitalisation is then comparable to the fraction of the fiat market capitalisation that is done in bitcoin.

If bitcoin becomes a success, in the sense that, world wide, people buy and sell stuff in bitcoin, then this market capitalisation can be potentially huge.  Only in dollars, there are 2 - 10 trillion dollars in circulation.  World wide, the estimate (M2 money) is of the order of 55 trillion.
If bitcoin would take 1% of the world trade, its market cap would be about 550 billion dollars.  If bitcoin doesn't even buy 1% of stuff in the world, then the question can be asked whether it made sense in the first place to consider it as a monetary asset.

That is, under the assumptions of similar average hold times.

So that's about a 100-fold increase in market cap compared to now.

Essentially, this is the "amount of value" one needs bitcoins to have in order to be able to buy all that stuff, and to hold all those coins for a time T.

The crucial point is T: if people would just buy bitcoins (with fiat) to spend them immediately, then T becomes much shorter than the average hold times.  This can pretty much lower the market cap needed to buy all that stuff.  Essentially, if bitcoins are only held "a few seconds" the time to buy them with fiat, and to spend them buying some goods, you see that the market cap of bitcoin would be extremely limited.  If 1% of goods are traded in bitcoin, but bitcoins are held 100 times less long than fiat, then market cap is not going to change !

But bitcoin has promises as a store of value too, so chances are that people will actually hold on bitcoin also as "store of value".  Even more so than to fiat which has a bad reputation as store of value.  That might actually make T *longer* than the T of fiat.

However, for the moment, I have no idea, but Q is pretty low (except maybe on black markets, which do play a role in the early phases of bitcoin).

So why is bitcoin then worth something ?  I think we are still in a hugely speculative phase, where the current price of bitcoin is more the future *expectation* of what its price will be, rather than the actual value in monetary use.  Most people (like me) speculate somehow that bitcoin is going to become a success, and that people will not only use it to buy stuff (Q), but also as a store of value (T).  

This has the potential to put the bitcoin price B pretty high.

But it won't happen overnight.  You are not going to wake up, with people buying suddenly 1% of the world economy in bitcoin.   This is going to be a slow process, and to me, *this* is the fundamental value of bitcoin.   The current prices are short-term effects of traders, and the longer term consists in the long term belief of high bitcoin value, that is, a long term speculation on the value of B, as a function of Q and of T.

It can also be that bitcoin flops.  But for the moment, I'm taking a prudent bet on "to the moon", but over a decade or more.  It would be a nice complement to my retirement.  

However, in my opinion, there's no fundamental which can support a "to the moon and staying there" in the near term: Q is too low for the moment.  For bitcoin to become money, you have to buy a significant part of the world economy with it (1% is a very "significant part").

What is dangerous with curve fitting, is that there will be a transition at some point, from the "speculative" domain where we are in now, to the "monetary domain" when it is really on its monetary fundamentals.  There's no reason why fitting laws on the speculative part should have anything to do with the monetary circumstances.
Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
Thanks for your acknowledgments!
I truly appreciate all your comments (and tips  Smiley)

Great work Trolololo.

Can't see it mentioned yet, maybe it is elsewhere, but do you have a version which utilizes the "market capitalization" (monetary base), instead of the price? For the first decade this may produce a somewhat different curve.

No, Risto also suggested that, but I don't have any "market capitalization" version yet.

Actually working on calculating the "real" R^2 value for the logarithmic regression, and in other curve shapes...

Agreed, a market cap version would be awesome as we are still experiencing high inflation. Smiley

Activity: 263
Merit: 280
Thanks for your acknowledgments!
I truly appreciate all your comments (and tips  Smiley)

Great work Trolololo.

Can't see it mentioned yet, maybe it is elsewhere, but do you have a version which utilizes the "market capitalization" (monetary base), instead of the price? For the first decade this may produce a somewhat different curve.

No, Risto also suggested that, but I don't have any "market capitalization" version yet.

Actually working on calculating the "real" R^2 value for the logarithmic regression, and in other curve shapes...

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
Awesome work Trolololo! I actually came across this thread last week & with this recent movement in price, I figured it deserved a bump. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010
In this OP I will always post the last updated charts:

Calculate today's trendline price HERE

So, the trend line is currently just above $600. In terms of accuracy, it's at least closer than Stephen Reed's Million Dollar Logistic Model: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stephen-reeds-million-dollar-logistic-model-366214
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
Great work Trolololo.

legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040
This is in my weekly repertoire of threads I look at to give me that warm blanket feeling  Grin 
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
Following. Great job indeed. Congrats. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I'm not sure about the exact type of growth of your function. What you seem to be mapping is logarithmic growth (slow) on a log chart (fast). Stripped of its minor constants, your formula is of the form 10^ln(t) for time = t. ln(t) grows extremely slow over time, but the result is used as a positive, growing exponent.

10ln(x) = xln(10)

Yes I thought so too. If you buy the Metcalf's Law valuation argument (I don't entirely), that corresponds roughly with linear growth of usage. Which interestingly is what Chris Dixon has said they are seeing in his businesses (mostly Coinbase I think).

Activity: 384
Merit: 258
In what year does your regression intersect with $1M USD?
I would say for Xmas 2026  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

10ln(x) = xln(10)

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Let's now see some new analytics using splines and regressive curvilinear functions. I'm so tired of seeing mspaint lines over boring plots. The speculation threads will love these.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

10ln(x) = xln(10)
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120
Nice graphics and nice work!  Wink
What software did you use?
Excel.
As Rpietila says, you can do amazing things with excel.

Impressive.
Yes, Excel (or equivalent) can do so much things.

EDIT :
I can only agree with the estimate, 1.000 USD by 24-04-2015
But that's only an estimation.
Activity: 263
Merit: 280
nice charts Smiley

will folow your posts from now on

edit: left you a small tip Smiley

Thank you!
Activity: 208
Merit: 100
Very nice work man!!

I'll be watching your future updates on this!  Grin
legendary
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
I remember that, late last year, when price exceeded even the loglinear model's predictions, some analysis was posted that suggested a superexponential price function to model BTC price.

that was fun Cheesy
We would be > 600k by now Wink

edit: just posting it for the lulz:
legendary
Merit: 1007

Edit: no "S" look at all. Looks like a "lowering" exponential trend for any timeframe.
To have a "S" look que should use another regression function, like

That's what I said... the 'S' shape (of slipperyslope, e.g.) is bounded growth, i.e. is convergent. Your function doesn't have a finite limit. It just goes to infinity rather slowly Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: