Author

Topic: Merit & new rank requirements - page 327. (Read 166477 times)

legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
January 24, 2018, 07:31:36 PM
But...but...but...this is going to screw things up for all the Jr member accounts and their airdrops, and their prospects for a long and prosperous career of typing "Joined, good project" to rank up and get paid.

This system is another example of doing something instead of nothing.  We'll see if it helps.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
January 24, 2018, 07:31:27 PM
If there is no demeriting right now. How does this guy at the topic -link below- demerited by the same guy?
Merited by crairezx20 (-10), crairezx20 (-10), crairezx20 (-10)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2605767.140
Did you forget to limit the merit you can send to positive numbers?
Tested on Lutpin:
Entered -10.
His points dropped by -10.
My sMerit went up by 10.

I assume, the 50 limit doesn't apply here and I could neg. you by a few thousands.
Update: Tested. There is no limit on the negative numbers. Sorry Luptin. Cheesy
copper member
Activity: 336
Merit: 258
Do you need a campaign manager? PM me.
January 24, 2018, 07:31:20 PM
If there is no demeriting right now. How does this guy at the topic -link below- demerited by the same guy?

Deena

It looks like a bug to me.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1123
January 24, 2018, 07:30:45 PM
Theymos, bug : Sending negative merit increases your spendable merit, please advise and fix.

I tested it on another user, gave them negative my total spendable increased. I gave them back their merit and now my contribution is +0 merit to their post, which is funny at best, but definitely something I'm sure you're already looking into.
Activity: 294
Merit: 252
January 24, 2018, 07:30:41 PM

Deena

wait,for few hrs for server to refresh.Thymos has fixed code to accumulate multiple merits given by same person to show as single entry
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.28857508
legendary
Activity: 1570
Merit: 1041
January 24, 2018, 07:30:12 PM
This might not be fair for new people, I don't know if others will ever consider to give merit to newbies. Guess I had to been registered here like 1year back to get some kind of "good" positions. Juniors and newbies are often treated poorly.
It's perfectly fair to new people.  It just means that in order for you to rank up or earn Merit, you have to write high-quality posts, rather than just spam a bunch of worthless stuff.  You're not being treated poorly; everyone has to write high-quality posts.  The only difference is that higher ranks start with more Merit as a baseline, which doesn't provide them any kind of advantage over you.

Well it provides them with sMerit, with more sMerit to vote for other posts if I may say this. While I, myself and I DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY to give merit to others. So if you are an "old schooler" here you have more power in your hands. Same applies with getting this "merit source" status you have to be high rank to be able to give merit to others and this is not related with our knowledge or engagement within the community.
The base sMerit members have already received is a finite number.  It won't take long to spend (I've already spent 50+ of my 200), and if people just hoard their sMerit, Theymos said he'll likely add a decay to it.  Sure, you don't have any sMerit to give out right now, but if you write some high-quality posts (like everyone else has to), then 50% of the Merit they give you goes to your sMerit stash.

And according to Theymos' first post, becoming a "merit source" has nothing to do with rank, you just have to find 10 under-appreciated posts...
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
January 24, 2018, 07:29:49 PM
Well it provides them with sMerit, with more sMerit to vote for other posts if I may say this. While I, myself and I DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY to give merit to others. So if you are an "old schooler" here you have more power in your hands. Same applies with getting this "merit source" status you have to be high rank to be able to give merit to others and this is not related with our knowledge or engagement within the community.

It's a one-time bonus for existing accounts, and only for those that were active within the last year. Once those sMerits are gone - they're gone. New ones have to be earned the same way for everyone, rank has nothing to do with that.
copper member
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874
Goodbye, Z.
January 24, 2018, 07:29:19 PM
This might not be fair for new people, I don't know if others will ever consider to give merit to newbies. Guess I had to been registered here like 1year back to get some kind of "good" positions. Juniors and newbies are often treated poorly.
It's perfectly fair to new people.  It just means that in order for you to rank up or earn Merit, you have to write high-quality posts, rather than just spam a bunch of worthless stuff.  You're not being treated poorly; everyone has to write high-quality posts.  The only difference is that higher ranks start with more Merit as a baseline, which doesn't provide them any kind of advantage over you.
This is a necessary evil when introducing a system like this, especially in a forum/community already running for years.
You somehow need to introduce merit and sMerit into circulation, if you wouldn't, there would be no way to gain them and rank up.
It makes sense giving those that are here for a long time and contributed over that time a little head start.

Hopefully people will send merit points based on post quality and not based on the rake of an user (eg "that's a newbie, I wont send him merit"), and if they do,
this won't be a problem in a year, or maybe two. It will only be a bit off balance at this very start.

Did you forget to limit the merit you can send to positive numbers?

This user now has a merit of -20 and the user who gave the negative merits still has 500.
I wonder if that actually increased their sMerit by 30 instead of decreasing it.

I hate you lauda. Why do you have to do this  Cry
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
January 24, 2018, 07:29:16 PM
I liked. The only issue is that there are already tons of spammers that will start with merit and can give them to his main account to rank up.

Deena

This user now has a merit of -20 and the user who gave the negative merits still has 500.
Activity: 602
Merit: 277
January 24, 2018, 07:27:58 PM

Deena

edit: I just got demerited by -30,lol.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
January 24, 2018, 07:27:18 PM
I think everyone has got merit points now by default.But in future even if you don't shit post..you need merit levels to reach new ranks

You didn't read this thread.... Accounts ranking from Brand new to Jr Member don't have merit points by default.

Smiley
I think this will just make "merit source" accounts more expensive to purchase, but maybe that's ok - raising the cost of entry for spammers.

Everything that is being proposed to combat spam has pros and cons, and I definitely get your point, but this at least shows that theymos is taking this problem seriously. I think if we look at how happy people are with this new feature, it shows that it's pretty much the right thing to do.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 340
January 24, 2018, 07:26:38 PM
Ok thanks for the answer Smiley

Honestly that's a great idea ! and bounty signature will be better  Wink
great job team !
Activity: 52
Merit: 3
January 24, 2018, 07:25:53 PM

Activity: 2198
Merit: 847
January 24, 2018, 07:25:10 PM
I already don't like the way clicking on +merit takes you away from the thread.  Can you please have it open in a new window?
Agree 100% with this.  A new window, or maybe just code in a little box next to the post where you can type the Merit you want to give and then hit Give or something.

Instead of posting you 100% agree, you should have given me 100 merit.  Smiley

I'd like to believe Theymos implemented this partly as a solution to my request.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/can-we-like-a-post-622992
Yes, he was thinking about that since 2014 year but decided to make a gift for you in 2018 Cheesy
Appreciate the fact that theymos did something to prevent spam here, also can say that this merit system really surprised me. I think some people here will really take care of this, some will just forget.
Congrats but pop up will be better as some users already mentioned. I personally won't stop reading of something interesting if someone spams, will do that if there is a pop up and it won't affect my page where I read.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
January 24, 2018, 07:24:14 PM
How about if the post merited is deleted? Will the merit count? Or erased too? Because somebody could just use merit for unreasonable purpose.

The merit is not undone if the post is deleted.

Does that mean all merit sources are hand selected?

Right. There are about 35 right now.
legendary
Activity: 1570
Merit: 1041
January 24, 2018, 07:23:09 PM
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
January 24, 2018, 07:22:06 PM
You should add my two contributions together (10+5) or is there some reason you want every contribution separate?

Fixed, thanks. It might take up to 24 hours for the cache to clear.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1123
January 24, 2018, 07:21:57 PM
Lauda got my Merit for answering Vod's question; it seems like there was another user that agreed with them about opening in a new window, too; seems strange that you'd be so technically literate and be unaware of this. I might be the butt of some intense sarcasm right now if I'm not careful.

If you want to be a merit source:

Collect TEN posts that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread.
Does that mean all merit sources are hand selected?

They are either hand-selected, randomly sorted out of a hat, or there was some sort of automated search that grabbed some metric as a representative of "merit" (trust, views, etc.).

Great Idea, but still in some point it will disregarded or doesn't matter. If you know what I mean.

I do not know what you mean, it is necessary to rank up your account and there is a finite amount of it to around at any given time by only a finite amount of sources and those of us with initial merit. How then, would be become disregarded in any manner? Do explain.

1 question to theymos, how if someone/people buying/selling merit points to ranked up faster?
Will something like a trust feedback for merit be added?

Wouldn't the already in place Trust system be sufficient to handle this sort of thing? It's clearly unacceptable and we already have a place for untrustworthy or malicious activity.
Activity: 420
Merit: 171
January 24, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
How about if the post merited is deleted? Will the merit count? Or erased too? Because somebody could just use merit for unreasonable purpose.

Thank you for answering.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
January 24, 2018, 07:21:33 PM
Pretty sweet! Account farmers registering hundreds of brand new accounts to rank them up with shitposts are now put in a very difficult to escape from 'cage'. It won't directly mean that we are freed from shitposters, but we at least know that the situation with these measures likely will translate into less shitposting in the future. People can just search on the internet for ways to make money online, and a lot of these baboons end up here with their the bitcoin and the endless abuse of the term sirr....

I think this will just make "merit source" accounts more expensive to purchase, but maybe that's ok - raising the cost of entry for spammers.
Jump to: