Author

Topic: Merit & new rank requirements - page 321. (Read 166477 times)

Activity: 599
Merit: 273
---
January 24, 2018, 09:43:43 PM
I have checked a lot of topics in the Bitcoin Discussion and Altcoins Discussion sections, but I didn't noticed any merits received there, although there are  merits received in this topic for "thank you" posts... So this is how the high-quality posts should look like? Unfortunately I can't agree, that this new system is fair to newbies, also I'm not sure if it will stop shit posting on forum, it can't affect shitposters with senior ranks and maybe it could prevent appearance of the new shitposters, but senior shitposters will be able to create new accounts and send merits for their posts.

Nah I don't think that's a problem, you can easily spot them if they're not extra cautious.

The biggest problem in my opinion is how many click it takes to send merit. If we want to get along with this system, it should be less painful. Too many clicks, too many windows, just to sent a +1.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065
✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )
January 24, 2018, 09:42:33 PM
I saw the ones that gave theymos/OP merit points few minutes ago but I don't see it now. I continue to see the names on the other posts. Strange?

Edit : @drm you are kinda lagging between hero and legendary, i saw the two ranks in few minutes.

Edit 2 : OP merit is Lagging too theymos. Sometimes i saw it then it disappears
Activity: 111
Merit: 11
January 24, 2018, 09:39:09 PM
I have checked a lot of topics in the Bitcoin Discussion and Altcoins Discussion sections, but I didn't noticed any merits received there, although there are  merits received in this topic for "thank you" posts... So this is how the high-quality posts should look like? Unfortunately I can't agree, that this new system is fair to newbies, also I'm not sure if it will stop shit posting on forum, it can't affect shitposters with senior ranks and maybe it could prevent appearance of the new shitposters, but senior shitposters will be able to create new accounts and send merits for their posts.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1123
January 24, 2018, 09:38:16 PM
Help me understand something...

You are a merit source. The next 100 merit you spend will come from your source rather than your sMerit balance. Merit spent from your source will come back in 30 days. Unused source merit is wasted. It is not allowed for merit sources to sell their merit.

Lutpin has already shown us he is a sMerit source Tongue
So from the message he has posted he is getting 100 sMerit per month.
This is an unlimited source.

100 sMerit/Month is not unlimited; it is 100 sMerit per month. Merit sources are the only way for there to be an increasing amount of merit distrusted around the forum, in order to compensate for the necessary merit needed to rank up new accounts at a reasonable pace. Without a Merit source we would just be trading around merit until sMerit has depleted.

I am interested in the "It is not allowed for merit sources to sell their merit", as this implies it is "allowed" for other users to sell their merit.

2. For the rest of us we will play with our sMerits point giving and receiving  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  but  at some point since there is a halving involved those will just dry out.

I think I addressed this above? ^

3. Going a bit further in time and we have 35 forum members getting 100 sMerit each a month, a total of 3500.
Might be more or less, theymos knows that better.
That's enough for 14 Hero members to level up a month.....if they would get all the points

Hope I've made a mistake somewhere..

Ranks now matter more than they have recently, I don't understand why you hope that be to a mistake. Do you believe there are more than 14 members each month that are deserving of ranking themselves up to hero, based on the merit of their contributions?
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469
https://Ecua.Mobi
January 24, 2018, 09:36:30 PM
Actually I have been legendary for a few weeks already now. Strange you see my rank as hero.

edit; I see my rank as hero as well now, I ranked down?  Huh
Strange indeed. I saw you as Hero when I posted this. Then I saw you as Legendary when Lutpin replied and now I see you as Hero again.
I wonder if this has anything to do with merits. Probably you should just wait until tomorrow until everything normalizes and the cache clears. At least you have 1000 merit
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1148
January 24, 2018, 09:36:22 PM
What happened with all those merited messages shown on OP post? did it get removed due to over-merited messages?
copper member
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874
Goodbye, Z.
January 24, 2018, 09:34:44 PM
3. Going a bit further in time and we have 35 forum members getting 100 sMerit each a month, a total of 3500.
That's enough for 14 Hero members to level up a month.....if they would get all the points
I think the amount of merit sources is supposed to increase over time.
Theymos has added a set of "initial" sources, and the OP suggests he is searching for more members who would fit and be willing to assume this position.
If we have more sources (and all of them are actively giving out their monthly source merit), we'll have a higher addition to the sMerit supply,
thus higher second level (0.5 of what the sources give out each month), and so on.

Actually I have been legendary for a few weeks already now. Strange you see my rank as hero.
edit; I see my rank as hero as well now, I ranked down?
I saw you as legendary just a few moments ago when I visited your profile after the post by ecuamobi.
Now you're a hero both besides posts and in your profile. I guess this is an error that should/will be fixed (soon).

- Those users who generate 'sm'. They are in different language groups? Or their concentration in the English sector?
I'm not an english native speaker, so yes. There are several (at least two) languages represented with merit sources.
Activity: 588
Merit: 199
January 24, 2018, 09:33:12 PM
I understood correctly and maybe someone has thoughts on this matter

- Is this campaign aimed at combating bots/mults and limiting growth and speed in the top accounts for signatures?
- Those users who generate 'sm'. They are in different language groups? Or their concentration in the English sector?
- If this system provokes a deliberate increase in Merit between accounts, will there be penalties and influences on the trust?
drm
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
January 24, 2018, 09:32:58 PM
[img ]https://i.imgur.com/BTVw8Up.png[/img]
Hero with 1000 Merit instead of 500
He's eligible for legendary, so he gets 1000 merit.
Well, "eligible" is random
The user is a legendary member now, I assume they already were tagged as one when the initial merit score was calculated.

but it would definitely be too harsh to get just 500. I get it now
That's what I got  Cheesy

edit; I see my rank as hero as well now, I ranked down?  
edit2; Seems to be back to normal.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
January 24, 2018, 09:30:52 PM
Help me understand something...

There is a new +Merit button besides the quote button.
Leading to a new page that reads:

You have received a total of 500 merit. This is what determines your forum rank. You typically cannot lose this merit. You have 88 sendable merit (sMerit) which you can send to other people. There is no point in hoarding sMerit; keeping it yourself does not benefit you, and we reserve the right to decay unused sMerit in the future.

You are a merit source. The next 100 merit you spend will come from your source rather than your sMerit balance. Merit spent from your source will come back in 30 days. Unused source merit is wasted. It is not allowed for merit sources to sell their merit.

Lutpin has already shown us he is a sMerit source Tongue
So from the message he has posted he is getting 100 sMerit per month.
This is an unlimited source.

2. For the rest of us we will play with our sMerits point giving and receiving  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  but  at some point since there is a halving involved those will just dry out.

Hope I've made a mistake somewhere..
Activity: 276
Merit: 23
January 24, 2018, 09:30:41 PM
just look like I will never up level to Member  Sad

Oh well, just try to become full member not to mention hero. But don´t despair, read my post above. Depending on the issue rate for the "merit" you may  be able to eventually be a member in a reasonable time.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065
✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )
January 24, 2018, 09:30:11 PM
Can i ask? If i give merit to others my merit will reduce? Example i have 100 merit and i give 1 merit to one people and my merit will become -1 so my merit will become 99  ?
No. Merit points just increase (what you need to rank).
sMerit will decrease if you use it and you will lose nothing in your Merit points shown under your name (points that you could send to others if you wish "for free")

If everyone decides to not use this merit system because he has no time or will to click the link, even if he likes so much one's post, everyone's rank will stop levelling?
Afaik yes (considering that your merit at that time won't allow you to get a new rank).
And then someone change one lovely topic to legendary +00 day!

Edit : LoL Lutpin (You are a merit source)
I suppose : theymos, Cyrus, hilarious, yahoo are merit sources. (For the others including lauda and some Legendary accounts Ecuamobi, ognasty...etc it is quite possible)
Activity: 276
Merit: 23
January 24, 2018, 09:28:40 PM
It seems that the merit curve is very steep. Basically, to go from member to full member you would need "90" merit. On the other hand, merit is quite expensive. For each "merit" created by the sources we can make a geometric series sum:

Sn= a1 (1-r^n)/(1-r)

with r= .5 and a1=1, results if summed to infinite in ... two. So, for 20 people to progress in one year from member to full member you would need to generate 1000 merit points on the sources (not counting other promotions, like to hero or Senior).

May I ask what is the generation rate that you are considering? If it is too tight this forum may become a private club for an elite as far as ranks.

I do agree that is good to have a system to curate the content, and this is not bad, depending on how it is regulated.
Activity: 602
Merit: 13
January 24, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
just look like I will never up level to Member  Sad

latecomer be huge disadvange
Activity: 599
Merit: 273
---
January 24, 2018, 09:28:26 PM
If everyone decides to not use this merit system because if he has no time or will to click the link, even if he likes so much one's post, everyone's rank will stop levelling?

Damn I totally agree with this.

Bounties&co promotes actively spam, not to mention airdrops requiring ID now (cmon, should I trust strangers with my ID now? Seriously?). It's natural people is going to farm accounts like there's no tomorrow.

This merit system makes it even more complicated.
copper member
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874
Goodbye, Z.
January 24, 2018, 09:27:36 PM
3) Alt-chain merit giving. Once 10 alt accounts or so have enough merit, they could now use their monthly allowance to instantly pass the merit requirements on their new alt accounts.
What monthly allowance?
You can send a maximum of 50 merit to one user in a 30 day window. After that, you cannot send them any additional merit before the time passes.
I think it's supposed to increase the spread of merit (instead of some users sending all 200 sMerit to each other) and make farming harder/easier to spot.

Can i ask? If i give merit to others my merit will reduce? Example i have 100 merit and i give 1 merit to one people and my merit will become -1 so my merit will become 99  ?
I've added a tl;dr to my first reply:

You have Merits, those you cannot send.
You also have sMerits, those you can only send, they have no other purpose.

When someone gives Merit to you they lose sMerit of the amount transfered and you gain Merit as well as sMerit (which in case you can send again).

Example: Should I send 10 Merit to you for a post, my sMerit would decrease by 10.
Your Merit would increase by 10 and your sMerit would increase by 5.

Merits are exclusively earned, but the sMerit part you also get keeps the circulation flowing.

(Ignoring merit sources here, for the sake of making an easy example.)
Hope that helps a little.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
January 24, 2018, 09:26:46 PM
Can i ask? If i give merit to others my merit will reduce? Example i have 100 merit and i give 1 merit to one people and my merit will become -1 so my merit will become 99  ?

No. There are two separate numbers - your earned merit and merit you can send (sMerit). Just try it.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1123
January 24, 2018, 09:26:29 PM
If everyone decides to not use this merit system because if he has no time or will to click the link, even if he likes so much one's post, everyone's rank will stop levelling?

Yes, however this is sort of like saying "If everyone stops using the trust system the nobody will gain trust ratings." While this is the case, it is a moot point, because it is not going to happen.

There are sources, and these people will continue to use the merit system even if they are the only ones doing so; this will of course monopolize merit in an unfortunate way, so it is in everyone's best interest to use the system as intended, rather than ignore it as if it were never mentioned.

This will makes ranks more valuable, disincentive spam and I highly doubt the 3-seconds it takes to merit someone will deter almost anyone. Are you that constrained for time?

Can i ask? If i give merit to others my merit will reduce? Example i have 100 merit and i give 1 merit to one people and my merit will become -1 so my merit will become 99  ?

No, merit does not decrease; the merit you send comes from your sMerit, which is a separate count; you have an initial amount determined by your rank and you acquire more by receiving .5 sMerit for every 1 Merit you receive.
Activity: 434
Merit: 168
January 24, 2018, 09:25:08 PM
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
January 24, 2018, 09:22:44 PM
3) Alt-chain merit giving. Once 10 alt accounts or so have enough merit, they could now use their monthly allowance to instantly pass the merit requirements on their new alt accounts.

What monthly allowance?

My understanding is that when the initial bonus is exhausted it will be quite hard to earn new merit. There will be some pandering to the 35 hand-picked apostles and it's not quite clear how they will be held accountable, but alt farmers will have a hard time until they figure out some way to game the system. Dormant accounts don't get the bonus so they would have to buy high-ranked active accounts.
Jump to: