Author

Topic: [Mining OS] SimpleMining.net - Manage Your GPU farm the easy way! (30 days free) - page 521. (Read 835461 times)

legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1096
Simplemining.net Admin
I appreciate your input but respectfully disagree.
One problem is that SimpleMining stock does not work well with the Pro Duo so I needed to change some things to get it to work effectively.  Secondly and most importantly it is extremely difficult if not impossible to make custom ROMs and test them through SSH.  If I was using ROMs that 98% of forum members are using then it would be great but I am not.  They are customized for each GPU and that yields  10-15% more profit beyond the typical forum custom ROMs(Either by higher overclock or lower power usage).  

The ROMs that are used by most people are nothing more than cookie cutter adjustments made with Polaris Bios Editor or equivalent and DO NOT come close to what can be done Hex Editing the ROM.  Hex editing the ROM can yield a significant advantage but where the REAL difference is made is in editing the ROM for each card individually to maximize the power savings and overclock potential.

Having a desktop environment may cost me a few percent but not having one cost me 15%.

As far as the Update messing things up, it isn't a big deal for me as I have a couple of distros I use for my miners but because I have a few friends using SimpleMiner I thought I would give it a shot.  

Lastly, I haven't looked closely into your distro yet but I am wondering why you cannot change the mem and core clocks individually through a config file for the miner.  It seems that would be the easiest implementation.

BTW- I do think you are doing a great job  Wink

I Agree with you. Anorak and other bioses available on forum are more less something.
But real deal is when you edit them in hex and even for each gpu individually.
I myself have various offsets for each card the same brand becasue one os better and another no.
Anyway i still doenst understand why you need desktop enviroment ?
Flashing via ssh is easy. Login, send bios, flash, reboot, then start mining if it will hang then you can try lower one.
Tell me what gives you desktop, meaby i dont see it ? Smiley

Also what adjustments you did to make Nano Pro working ? Whats wrong ?
Is something is broken then i need to fix it.
Also did you tried beta kernel 4.10 rc3 ? It solves many problems. ?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
Its makes completly no sense installing more packages that uses cpu, ram, and makes booting longer.
You have ssh for this Smiley
Also be adviced that my auto updates can easly destroy what you installed.
I dont advice to do own modifications and i cant support them as it would be very difficult to mantain all different versions of my system.

Also.
I have possibility to buy tool for 0.25 BTC which can overclock gpus by setting specific core and memory clocks in MHz.
Still i dont have cash to buy this tool.
I gues it would be nice to have possibility to set specific clocks and not dpm levels right ?
Propably need to impelemnt those fees fast and gather some cash to buy this tool Smiley

I appreciate your input but respectfully disagree.
One problem is that SimpleMining stock does not work well with the Pro Duo so I needed to change some things to get it to work effectively.  Secondly and most importantly it is extremely difficult if not impossible to make custom ROMs and test them through SSH.  If I was using ROMs that 98% of forum members are using then it would be great but I am not.  They are customized for each GPU and that yields  10-15% more profit beyond the typical forum custom ROMs(Either by higher overclock or lower power usage).  

The ROMs that are used by most people are nothing more than cookie cutter adjustments made with Polaris Bios Editor or equivalent and DO NOT come close to what can be done Hex Editing the ROM.  Hex editing the ROM can yield a significant advantage but where the REAL difference is made is in editing the ROM for each card individually to maximize the power savings and overclock potential.

Having a desktop environment may cost me a few percent but not having one cost me 15%.

As far as the Update messing things up, it isn't a big deal for me as I have a couple of distros I use for my miners but because I have a few friends using SimpleMiner I thought I would give it a shot.  

Lastly, I haven't looked closely into your distro yet but I am wondering why you cannot change the mem and core clocks individually through a config file for the miner.  It seems that would be the easiest implementation.

BTW- I do think you are doing a great job  Wink
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
UPDATE:
I OPENED FACEBOOK PAGE for simplemining.net
I will be writing All updates ALSO there beside forum.
Please LIKE and OBSERVE it Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/simplemining.net

https://www.facebook.com/simplemining.net
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Hi T - can help check if I can use the sgminer classic build already in smOS to mine at dashminer.com pool?

See https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11742811
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
Thanks for all that info, its really educating to see how linux guru do stuff Smiley

That rom library could be some kind of collaboration as well. I mean yes some people want to make money with this, but not everyone. We would share all that information because we know it can be improved.

If someone wants to be paid for a specific rom, we can easily tell that person to go look somewhere else. Our roms are not perfect, you can always tweak them more. It all starts by sharing and it can benefit everyone in the end. (less power, more mhs, stability, less heat).

After all, we are all making money with mining, it's all that matters.

legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
tytanick, takasugi, reelen,
Can help to do a short ssh primer on how to use the atiflash in smOS to be shared amongst miners here.
Because many of us were ex-Windows users with not much Linux exposure. Eg. How to upload ROM file in ssh? In future, making a wizard-like atiflash process in smOS would be nice if Tytanick plan to do it this way. Thanks
This tutorial would be nice in PDF, but i really dont have any cash to pay you fot this. I can only load your balance in SMOS when fee service comes.

tytanick,
Do you think its good idea to create a library of known user submitted rom mods for smOS users to select (just like selecting miner apps). Obviously this will require strict evaluation so that smOS dont brick any GPUs.
Sure, this is a potential recipe for disaster, but this smOS feature will surely take your product to the next level.
Hopefully, we will have a collection of highly optimised rom mods specifically for certain coins and power consumption preferences. To have original roms by GPU model and vendor will be great too, so that we can revert GPUs back to original roms. Thanks
I thought about it.
And it would be very nice but this generates many problems to solve.
Thats why i am not ready for doing that. I can only create library and then share it.
Anyway i wont download users roms without permision and also i think that users wont share this for free.
We can talk about this feature much later, i still need more things to do first in SMOS.
I want to implement private key signing of more crucial actions like flashing roms or applying updates.
This would make sure that even if my server would be hacked, then hacker wont do anything special becasue it wont have private key.
This feature is most important for me.
Also becasue of this i would need to secure root account on rigs and not give password for users or create possibility to apply own private key to your rigs.

FLASHING TUTORIAL Tongue To flash its important to do following:
- ssh as user "miner" and execute: screen -x miner  .... and then press ctrl+c few times until whole screen exits.
- go to root writing sudo su
- execute command: dmesg -c - this will clear system log - this is where my syftoware watchdog is looking for some critical erros, if it finds them it execute reboot command.
- go to atiflash directory and
atiflash -p 0 custom_bios.rom
atiflash -p 1 custom_bios.rom
etc

I am successfully flashing ROMs on SImplemining but my way is a bit more involved (but it sure is prettier also) --
I installed a desktop to run next to the Terminal environment.  I installed ATIflash and Teamviewer on all the rigs and can log in remotely and stop the mining by switching to the Terminal View and then log back into the Desktop. 
This is using the Rx Version -  I had to update the drivers on it for 2 reasons:
1- I didn't want 2 versions for different cards
2- Because neither the R or the Rx version worked well with Pro Duo's.
In order to do that easily,  I changed the original Password for Miner then installed a Gnome Desktop, then installed amdpro-gpu drivers.  Since I had already installed a desktop I figured I might as well install something to make it more useful hence the TeamViewer and AtiFlash
Its makes completly no sense installing more packages that uses cpu, ram, and makes booting longer.
You have ssh for this Smiley
Also be adviced that my auto updates can easly destroy what you installed.
I dont advice to do own modifications and i cant support them as it would be very difficult to mantain all different versions of my system.

Also.
I have possibility to buy tool for 0.25 BTC which can overclock gpus by setting specific core and memory clocks in MHz.
Still i dont have cash to buy this tool.
I gues it would be nice to have possibility to set specific clocks and not dpm levels right ?
Propably need to impelemnt those fees fast and gather some cash to buy this tool Smiley
legendary
aka "whocares"
I am successfully flashing ROMs on SImplemining but my way is a bit more involved (but it sure is prettier also) --

I installed a desktop to run next to the Terminal environment.  I installed ATIflash and Teamviewer on all the rigs and can log in remotely and stop the mining by switching to the Terminal View and then log back into the Desktop.  

This is using the Rx Version -  I had to update the drivers on it for 2 reasons:
1- I didn't want 2 versions for different cards
2- Because neither the R or the Rx version worked well with Pro Duo's.

In order to do that easily,  I changed the original Password for Miner then installed a Gnome Desktop, then installed amdpro-gpu drivers.  Since I had already installed a desktop I figured I might as well install something to make it more useful hence the TeamViewer and AtiFlash
legendary
aka "whocares"
UPDATE v1074:
- atiflash for linux - for now its only program located at /root/utils/atiflash
If you know putty (ssh) then you can login into rig and flash custom bios remotly.
The flashing from dashboard will be propably implemented in future but not soon.
Right now you can do the flashing only by direct ssh into rigs.

This is just awesome, thank you! 

Just make sure you kill the mining before flashing and make sure it will not auto reboot in the middle of the flash  Wink
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
UPDATE v1074:
If you know putty (ssh) then you can login into rig and flash custom bios remotly.
The flashing from dashboard will be propably implemented in future but not soon.

thx so much this solve my problem when I want to flash card, because I must switch to windows and then switch back.

Can help to do a short ssh primer on how to use the atiflash in smOS to be shared amongst miners here.
Because many of us were ex-Windows users with not much Linux exposure. Eg. How to upload ROM file in ssh? In future, making a wizard-like atiflash process in smOS would be nice if Tytanick plan to do it this way. Thanks

tytanick,
Do you think its good idea to create a library of known user submitted rom mods for smOS users to select (just like selecting miner apps). Obviously this will require strict evaluation so that smOS dont brick any GPUs.
Sure, this is a potential recipe for disaster, but this smOS feature will surely take your product to the next level.
Hopefully, we will have a collection of highly optimised rom mods specifically for certain coins and power consumption preferences. To have original roms by GPU model and vendor will be great too, so that we can revert GPUs back to original roms. Thanks

I'm getting help myself from someone else, but would be happy to share instructions once I get my cards done.
UPDATE v1074:

thx so much this solve my problem when I want to flash card, because I must switch to windows and then switch back.

tytanick,

Hey,

For ATIflash on linux, its basically the same commands, but you need to upload the roms for sure. I personally use MobaXterm, it's a very solid SSH (and other) connections manager. So I just create a folder in the /home/miner and click ''upload file'' for now. After, it's just a better to atiflash -f -p 0 /home/miner/...

I do like your suggestion about a rom library. We could contribute to that, we created our own roms for many cards like the rx 480 gigabyte we couldn't find anywhere (29.5mhs each, 900W for 6 cards, not bad!). It could be something that you offer and you warn people that you are not responsible for any brick cards. Some advanced/expert interface with different level of roms (small OC, big undervolt, etc etc.)

I'm pretty sure a lot of your customers would be very happy to contribute on this, like us Smiley

Cheers!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
UPDATE v1074:

tytanick,
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
UPDATE v1074:

UPDATE v1074:

This is just awesome, thank you! 
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
UPDATE v1074:
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
Hello!

Two questions:

1) Two of our rigs were stuck because watchdog detected a problem with one GPUs and needed to restart the mining process, but froze there. Can we use -r 1 to force the rig to restart instead? This way, they will restart the mining process properly. Even on windows, we had that issues, -r 1 would help. I am wondering if the reboot.sh is present in the claymore folder.

2) Would it be possible to have atiflash installed on the image? (maybe it is and I didnt find it) It would be greatly appreciated and it would save us time to flash our cards instead of putting a windows drive in order to do the flashing.

Thanks!!

1. Yes it will help -w1 -r1
2. I dont have it now, but i am planning to add this. As now i can add this program to root directory and then you can do the rest via ssh.
But option for flashing from dashboard will be propably possible but later on.
Hello!

Two questions:

1) Two of our rigs were stuck because watchdog detected a problem with one GPUs and needed to restart the mining process, but froze there. Can we use -r 1 to force the rig to restart instead? This way, they will restart the mining process properly. Even on windows, we had that issues, -r 1 would help. I am wondering if the reboot.sh is present in the claymore folder.

2) Would it be possible to have atiflash installed on the image? (maybe it is and I didnt find it) It would be greatly appreciated and it would save us time to flash our cards instead of putting a windows drive in order to do the flashing.

Thanks!!

-r 1 does indeed work.
Hello!

Two questions:

Thanks!!

Activity: 441
Merit: 252

If still problem after settings per phil's post below, try -lidag
Assuming your GPU has more than 2GB mem

Yet another alternative:

-gser 2 -eres 1

-gser   this setting can improve stability on multi-GPU systems if miner hangs during startup. It serializes GPUs initalization routines. Use "-gser 1" to serailize some of routines and "-gser 2" to serialize all routines.
   Default value is "0" (no serialization, fast initialization).

-eres   this setting is related to Ethereum mining stability. Every next Ethereum epoch requires a bit more GPU memory, miner can crash during reallocating GPU buffer for new DAG.
   To avoid it, miner reserves a bit larger GPU buffer at startup, so it can process several epochs without buffer reallocation.
   This setting defines how many epochs miner must foresee when it reserves GPU buffer, i.e. how many epochs will be processed without buffer reallocation. Default value is 2.
legendary
Simplemining.net Admin
UPCOMING SRR UPDATE:
I am making new fireware and Tool updates for SRR.
If you are interested and have ideas what can i add or improve, then now its the time to tell me that Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1695298.new#new
Jump to: