Pages:
Author

Topic: Monero (XMR) Speculation thread - page 2. (Read 50213 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
August 21, 2014, 06:43:05 PM
Hi folks!

I got sick of all the altcoin pump and dumps around and dismissed all altcoins for 6 months and focused on BTC. But now i feel/see an increasing demand in alts with anonymity as a key feature.

I am sure you have done a lot more reading / researching on this matter.

What makes monero stand out in comparison to other alts like DRK for example?
Q: Prove me that Monero is not yet-another-shitcoin is a start.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
August 21, 2014, 05:51:49 PM
I'm trading at hitbtc too, maybe for 6 weeks. In the beginning there were very profitable opportunities for arbitrage, but in the last 3 weeks it seems like bots are ruling: with a 5-digit-precision hitbtc mirrors the prices of Poloniex. Not always, but nearly always.

Activity: 473
Merit: 250
August 21, 2014, 12:52:08 PM
I trade on HitBTC - I have no complaints at all. There is always a couple of hundred monero very close to spot and it seems to replenish very quickly allowing for substantial purchases with out moving the price at all.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
August 21, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

I don't use old hardware. I use a virtual machine for my wallets and XP is clean by default.

If you must run Windows XP as the host, and install the wallets in a VM, then  I suggest running GNU/Linux 64bit in a VM. Oracle Virtualbox still supports XP. Give the VM running Monero as much memory as possible. I believe one can run 64bit GNU/Linux in a VM with 32bit Windows XP as the host, using Virtualbox. https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46904. One must however enable CPU virtualization support in the BIOS. If your hardware is fairly recent then this should be possible.

My experience is mostly the other way around running Microsoft Windows guests on a GNU/Linux host. In fact I still run XP, 2000 and even NT4 with this setup. The biggest concern I do have with a GNU/Linux guest on a Microsoft Windows host is key-logging malware on the host intercepting wallet passwords and / or private keys. Granted this may be safer than running Monero directly on Microsoft Windows but some of the risk still remains. For this reason I have to strongly advise against giving any Microsoft operating system access to XBT or XMR wallet passwords and / or private keys and would recommend the Windows guest on GNU/Linux host approach instead.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
August 21, 2014, 11:56:33 AM
hitbtc has nearly same 24h volume like polo, 101k vs 96k usd. who is active trading there?

i dont know why, but i have inhibitions to go and trade there. Am i the only one?

Saw that on coinmarketcap to. At a first glance it looks very nice and you can even withdraw EUR/USD if you exchange your monero to btc. Unfortunately there's no direct XMR -> USD/EUR gate.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
August 21, 2014, 11:17:02 AM
I would like to buy some Monero coins, but have not any idea how to do it. Did some googling, but didn't find any good help. If anyone could help! Thanks for any help!

Poloniex.com has the biggest volume. There are other exchanges on the OP of monero main thread.

I like Poloniex.  Because of the volume, bid/ask spreads are a bit lower.  Polo also has markets denominated in XMR, so that you could buy NXT, for example, with XMR.  

Seems like there might be opportunities for arbitrage between BTer and Polo, but I've never really tried it.  I suppose you could buy on BTer and move it to Polo, but if you're new to it, I think you're better off just opening an account at Poloniex.

One other thing I'll add...for me, anyway, and maybe I was just tired at the time, I had a hard time figuring out how to transfer BTC to Polo.  You have to go to "Balances" and scroll down a ways to see BTC.  Then you'll have to hit the button to generate a new BTC address.  Then transfer to that new address.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 21, 2014, 11:14:18 AM
I don't use old hardware. I use a virtual machine for my wallets and XP is clean by default.

Hey Ryota, the Monero team are going to address this once the embedded database is complete, which is one of the main things on the agenda at the moment.

I am interested to invest in Monero for the long term but I have many concerns.

- I use a virtual machine and I can't install monero on XP (32 bit), all platforms should be supported.

- When BTC is rising, LTC/BTC goes up but not monero, so we loose money, it seems difficult to grow without btc-e and bigger exchanges.

Why should anybody support a platform that is outdated like XP?
Should we support Amiga and Atari too?

We do support XP - we just don't support XP 32-bit until the embedded database is out (due to memory constraints).
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 21, 2014, 11:10:39 AM

Please don't think that the unwelcoming answers are from Monero users! This thread is infested by trolls that are paid by other coins. The friendly answers come from actual Monero people Smiley
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
August 21, 2014, 10:27:01 AM

- I use a virtual machine and I can't install monero on XP (32 bit), all platforms should be supported.

- When BTC is rising, LTC/BTC goes up but not monero, so we loose money, it seems difficult to grow without btc-e and bigger exchanges.

Is Monero a cryptocurrency for geeks only?

Don't forget the people that don't use the latest hardware.. They are numerous...

People with old hardware can always use Linux. Easy to install, easy to use.

I have no idea why so many people are still using XP. Using XP is the best way to loose all your coins.

Activity: 124
Merit: 100
August 21, 2014, 10:20:01 AM

Don't forget the people that don't use the latest hardware.. They are numerous...

People with old hardware can always use Linux. Easy to install, easy to use.

I have no idea why so many people are still using XP. Using XP is the best way to loose all your coins.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
August 21, 2014, 10:05:56 AM

We do support XP - we just don't support XP 32-bit until the embedded database is out (due to memory constraints).
August 21, 2014, 09:50:21 AM

Activity: 124
August 21, 2014, 09:44:06 AM

legendary
August 21, 2014, 09:42:41 AM
Seem like cloak coin is competiting with XMR on anon feature.

Do both use the same method and technology?

No they use different methods/technology. Maybe some one here can elaborate this better? I am not up to speed what's happening with cloak..
August 21, 2014, 09:41:19 AM

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
August 21, 2014, 09:30:50 AM
I would like to buy some Monero coins, but have not any idea how to do it. Did some googling, but didn't find any good help. If anyone could help! Thanks for any help!

Poloniex.com has the biggest volume. There are other exchanges on the OP of monero main thread.

Thank you! But how can I make Monero wallet?

Try this http://monero.cc/getting-started/ and if something doesnt work then ask about the errors you get if you get any. But please this is a Speculation Thread. Ask here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=652305.60  or try IRC  #monero  Wink
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
August 21, 2014, 09:26:39 AM

Thank you! But how can I make Monero wallet?
Activity: 166
August 21, 2014, 09:25:15 AM
Seem like cloak coin is competiting with XMR on anon feature.

Do both use the same method and technology?
legendary
August 21, 2014, 09:17:05 AM

Like GreekBitcoin said, you can find the exchanges in the OP of the monero thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449

Personally I find poloniex the best option, but there are also other exchanges. If you are going to buy large quantities it would be wise to choose an exchange with much volume. Volumes can be seen here http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/volume/24-hour/#xmr , scroll down if it doesn't go automaticaly to monero. As you can see poloniex has the greatest liquidity at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
August 21, 2014, 09:08:24 AM

Pages:
Jump to: