Pages:
Author

Topic: Monero (XMR) Speculation thread - page 9. (Read 50213 times)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10
August 16, 2014, 06:44:20 PM
Buying XMR under 3 mBTC is like buying BTC under $500. It's just a good price and it won't last long.

Buy buy buy

Sounds true. I am still buying.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 16, 2014, 06:15:34 PM
Buying XMR under 3 mBTC is like buying BTC under $500. It's just a good price and it won't last long.

Buy buy buy
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 16, 2014, 06:14:12 PM
Looks like a big drop coming. This is where we make a killing, fellas.

For technical reasons i'd prefer it not go below the previous low (0023), but it wouldnt be a disaster either.

I'll not be so sure.
price dropped a lot, we are around 1.50$, we can't drop so much more, the supply is limited and this is the only CN currency with high expectance. I'm pretty cool with the fact we can reach 5$/coin in the next months without problems
Cheesy
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
August 16, 2014, 06:07:44 PM

For technical reasons i'd prefer it not go below the previous low (0023), but it wouldnt be a disaster either.

I'll not be so sure.
price dropped a lot, we are around 1.50$, we can't drop so much more, the supply is limited and this is the only CN currency with high expectance. I'm pretty cool with the fact we can reach 5$/coin in the next months without problems
Activity: 502
Merit: 251
August 16, 2014, 04:11:24 PM

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 16, 2014, 03:32:41 PM
The turnover is far in excess of mining output.

Yes, this is quite interesting and different from many other alts. I don't really know why this happened but it seems a huge portion of the trading on this coin is speculative in nature and has nothing to do with mining and coins finding their first home. It is very unusual.

Was bitcoin like that at the beginning?  If so, please feel free to share some others similarities xmr shares with btc Smiley

It was in 2011 when I arrived but that was hardly the beginning. The very beginning of btc was a ver different situation though since exchanges didn't exist at all. The very first "trade" of any kind was probably the pizza.  In 2011 we had MtGox and there was plenty of speculative trading.
Activity: 723
Merit: 503
August 16, 2014, 03:27:12 PM

Yes, this is quite interesting and different from many other alts. I don't really know why this happened but it seems a huge portion of the trading on this coin is speculative in nature and has nothing to do with mining and coins finding their first home. It is very unusual.

Was bitcoin like that at the beginning?  If so, please feel free to share some others similarities xmr shares with btc Smiley
legendary
August 16, 2014, 03:21:46 PM

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
August 16, 2014, 02:47:20 PM
It's getting pretty volatile around 003, so it should make a decisive move soon.  Bidders are obviously hoping for it to decide lower. 

Difficulty remains stable about 1.15g, down from ATH.  When difficulty rises again, that will be primary evidence of a resumption in adoption growth.  Until then there are no fundamental grounds to call a bottom, only technical ones.  There are fundmental grounds to expect a bottom to be immanent, however:  The turnover is far in excess of mining output.  Since the market is in distribution, that means far more coins are being sold to happy homes than are being mined by dysfunctional homes.
legendary
August 16, 2014, 10:05:39 AM
Another possible confounding factor would be whether a new client was released/advertised. Shortly after that point, there will be a glut of downloads, not only due to the increased awareness, but from previous users of Monero merely updating to the newest client, artificially inflating numbers (not that I've no idea if this applies in the time frame that was looked at).

This is true and in the future we will try to break out new downloads vs. upgrades. However, in this time frame there was no new version released. The current version is still 0.8.8 from June 11.

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
August 16, 2014, 07:22:05 AM
is monero still a strong coin in long term invesment? whats your thoughts? ty.
How long term are we talking? Several months? I don't think the price will grow due to the high inflation of ~21,500 coins per day. Monero emits around 86% of its supply over 4 years. Not sure why they chose such a horrible emission schedule, it certainly hurts investor confidence.

It's a great emission schedule. It ensures that there will be a sufficient amount of time for many adopters to get XMR at a good price before bubbling up. Block reward is constantly decreasing, in fact now it is below 15.

LTC emits just as many coins per day so it is not really a fair argument to say that Monero is not capable of sustaining a higher price due to the inflation rate.

Yes i agree, coin is not fully developed, if high amount would be mined till now, then price would be much lower then is now, and all of us would buy it at much lover price. I would not even call us investors that way.
This emission makes sure, there was never huge surplus of new coins mined and there will be enough coins mined daily for some more time. This gives coin to get more healthy investors. So when coin will be finalized and made to be easily used for some average user, it will be still cheap to buy.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
August 15, 2014, 11:49:10 PM
Did crypto-currency just exhale one billion USD the last few days? Anybody tracking the top 100 altcoin market cap?

$1.5 billion in about 11 days.  I've got some indexes that I calculate manually, and most are down about 30%. 

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8366543

They are lower now than when I posted that this morning.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 15, 2014, 11:45:03 PM
Did crypto-currency just exhale one billion USD the last few days? Anybody tracking the top 100 altcoin market cap?

No. What matters is trade volume coupled with changes in market cap.

The entire crypto market cap might be down a billion dollars, however if trade volume is 10 million dollars, then that is a better estimation of how much money is moving out or into crypto.
Activity: 75
August 15, 2014, 11:35:39 PM
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 15, 2014, 11:24:36 PM
I was wrong again when I said I was finished buying.  I just sent some btc to Poloniex but it will take a few hours to get there.  This usually results in a wall being placed above the current bids. Tongue

That is the limits of my speculation.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
August 15, 2014, 06:52:02 PM

Nothing has fundamentally changed, nothing bad happened and the devs are working on improvements + an official GUI wallet. I am still seeing this coin as a long term agreement, but I have to agree on the high inflation rate. Due the high inflation rate, monero will not bubble as much as other altcoins did (like x10 short term), but I think we still will see a mini bubble, reaching somewhere between 0.006 and 0.01.

EDIT: Read the monero missives here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8195249 (last one)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449 (overview)

not sure what you meant in bold. Please clarify.

Meant long term investment, not sure why I typed agreement :p
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 15, 2014, 06:43:03 PM
How long term are we talking? Several months? I don't think the price will grow due to the high inflation of ~21,500 coins per day. Monero emits around 86% of its supply over 4 years. Not sure why they chose such a horrible emission schedule, it certainly hurts investor confidence.

It's a great emission schedule. It ensures that there will be a sufficient amount of time for many adopters to get XMR at a good price before bubbling up. Block reward is constantly decreasing, in fact now it is below 15.

LTC emits just as many coins per day so it is not really a fair argument to say that Monero is not capable of sustaining a higher price due to the inflation rate.
kbm
Activity: 84
August 15, 2014, 06:40:35 PM

So long as its competition remains open source, and the Monero developers continue to place their efforts into providing people with a coin centered around providing people the tools of mass adoption (that isn't 80% controlled by ten people) .. absolutely.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 15, 2014, 06:37:31 PM

Nothing has fundamentally changed, nothing bad happened and the devs are working on improvements + an official GUI wallet. I am still seeing this coin as a long term agreement, but I have to agree on the high inflation rate. Due the high inflation rate, monero will not bubble as much as other altcoins did (like x10 short term), but I think we still will see a mini bubble, reaching somewhere between 0.006 and 0.01.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449 (overview)

I read that as he thinks it's a good long term investment.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
August 15, 2014, 06:35:50 PM

Pages:
Jump to: