Pages:
Author

Topic: [MRY] Murraycoin ▪ The Only Currency Worthy of Bill Murray ▪ Now Scrypt-2048 - page 15. (Read 117842 times)

Activity: 423
Merit: 250
Activity: 656
Merit: 251
www.fintropy.io

Just putting down the finishing touches.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064
Juicin' crypto
Awesome SNL 40 year anniversary show tonight.... Bill in full effect.
If you are one of the leaders of this coin, are willing to form a team to represent the coin let me know

I've just been promoting Murraycoin, I don't have much programming expertise. What would I need to do?

I want to go to the Bill Murray art show in LA coming up (to promote MRY, of course), but I'm pretty darn broke at the moment so if anyone's feeling generous and wants to tip me some BTC (see wallet address in my profile page) I would be much obliged.
Happy V Day, compadres!

(Really wish we had a mobile app so I could load paper wallets in person at the event & give/sell them to people.)
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I posted this to another thread regarding MurrayCoin:

"I post on this thread to show support for something that has great potential. MurrayCoin actually looks really promising compared to many other altcoins in general. This is largely due to its association with Bill Murray; Once an official endorsement from Bill Murray and/or his foundation is made, the base of this coin will officially be set. It really seems that it can have a unique potential in that it can be the first legitimate "celebrity" coin; the coin could complement any activity involving the celebrity, and not just charity. Not to forget it can provide all the low cost and global transactions that the parent bitcoin provides, as long as people accept it as a legitimate means of paying one another."

One factor that MurrayCoin can benefit from is a greater community built around the coin, promoting its potential as a digital currency, especially as a "celebrity" digital coin. All those who see its potential should at least post on this page, whether its showing support or presenting ideas to better the digital currency.
Let me know if the Murraycoin community leaders have an interest in being involved with a multi-coin community crowdfunding platform:
http://cryptos.us/crypto-news/item/61-10-cryptocurrency-communities-to-unite-to-form-powerful-crowdfunding-platform

I'm for it! It would nice to finally have a site that accepts MRY.
legendary
Juicin' crypto
Activity: 656
Merit: 251
www.fintropy.io
That other forum is a waste of time. Talking shit about other coins ect. Dangerous too not self moderated and people associate crap with this coin. Multi algo with another coin and the same style shit bound to happen. Murraycoin/ ****coin is a terrible idea.
Everyone has history with one Dev or another and so much hate. I don't have time for it. If its on your doorstep sure squash it but don't visit shitville for the sake of it when you got paradise in your back yard.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1001
We advertisingit in march at the tournament?

It's weird, I tried contacting the foundation / event organizers about advertising... first I sent an email but it came back undeliverable, then I called and left a message but never heard back from them.  Huh

mmmmm, wish bholzer would let us know. He does know the guys there.

Show support guys, other people are.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=950296.new#new
We advertisingit in march at the tournament?

It's weird, I tried contacting the foundation / event organizers about advertising... first I sent an email but it came back undeliverable, then I called and left a message but never heard back from them.  Huh
legendary
Juicin' crypto
nice price recovery already
legendary
Ok guys, I have had enough....

Time for some exposure.....This is open now and every time you post we head back to the top of the list which gives us more exposure.

Please post and keep it alive.

If you believe in Murraycoin and know it will be successful then get in this post now.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bill-murray-murraycoin-foundation-950296
legendary
bholzer, multi algo like digibyte.

We advertising in march at the tournament?

Also can you please check out my pm.

cheers,
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
PoW has pretty much been rendered obsolete.  Have you looked at any Proof of Stake concepts at all?
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer
It doesn't look like there is a way to import a wallet using a private key in the Murraycoin client (I have the Windows version), or is it right in front of my face and I just missed it?

That's definitely one of the sections I want to make more intuitive in the next release of the wallet. Right now, you have to do it the same way as with Bitcoin-QT/etc - via the RPC interface. If we could have a 1-click (or in reality probably 3-click... but 1-click seems to be the buzz phrase regardless of how many clicks) way to import them, it would certainly make our physical distribution strategy more intuitive.

Here is how you do it now:

Help -> Debug window -> Console

If you have a password on your wallet (which I'm sure you do) you will need to temporarily unlock it first by typing:

walletpassphrase "yourpassword" 180

With the "180" simply being how many seconds you want it to remain unlocked for (just needs to be long enough to run the next command... I always default to 180 but it doesn't really matter).

Then you type:

importprivkey "yoursuperlongprivatekeystring" "label-here"

The label is optional, of course. If you are on a slow computer, you can also add rescan=false at the end of the previous command and simply let the blockchain do the work for you. It allows for a smoother import and I will run some testing on it but I may make it the default on the new wallet import feature with the option to check the "rescan" box instead. Just to clarify, if you don't want to do the rescan the command would look like this:

importprivkey "yoursuperlongprivatekeystring" "label-here" rescan=false

That's all there is to it... but obviously not very intuitive for the average person. This is one of the reasons so many people are using CoinBase/etc for simple import functionality - this is complicated and borderline scary for people who aren't comfortable with technology. Honestly I never thought it made sense to put this under "Help" or "Debug window" but I stuck with what the new Bitcoin Core was using for consistency. We now know that consistency is great and all... but it can't hurt to go above and beyond. Obviously the average Joe who wants to go import their paper Murraycoin wallet would think those above steps are pretty ridiculous.

I'm still kicking around the possibility of an algorithm change and another fork as well... which of course are both things we will want to do as soon as possible. My concern is simply ensuring the blockchain is secure and somewhat consistent speed-wise - right now it's just being treated as another hit-and-run Scrypt-N coin which is why it's struggling on the exchange - not a lot of exciting news getting crypto people buying on the exchanges... but still profit to be made here-and-there form the hit-and-run crowd. My concerns with merge-mining/etc are that we are then tied to another currency which, despite the advantages of consistency, I'm not sure it makes sense for Murraycoin. I could easily rebuild some new QT wallets with the simple import feature and a modified look... but it would be cool to kill a few birds with one stone. This is something we will have to continue to discuss.

legendary
Juicin' crypto
It doesn't look like there is a way to import a wallet using a private key in the Murraycoin client (I have the Windows version), or is it right in front of my face and I just missed it?
Good stuff. You're absolutely correct about a careful and business-minded approach being key. I may at times have forgotten that Murraycoin ought to be treated very differently from all the one-month wonders in the altcoin world. I look forward to MRY's bright future.
O & U! Smiley
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer
Brian - we will sync up soon. Been a busy couple weeks in my non-crypto world but we definitely need to get everybody on the same page. You make valid points and the best path isn't always the path of least resistance. While I maintain our marketing efforts will have a much higher impact if the general public grows more excited about bitcoin again (think of mechanical advantage: Fout/Fin) it is still important to continue moving now. When time and funding is limited the strategy needs to change but progress needs to continue. I wasn't implying we sit around twiddling our thumbs until the market starts moving in the right direction - I was simply implying that some of the costlier and/or more time-consuming marketing efforts might be best put into place during a bull market. We are planning on doing a lot of great things... but without the interest and volume in general (and without unlimited time) a strategy needs to be in place somewhere in the middle. The exchange value really doesn't play much of a role in the big picture - real people buying and trading MRY in currency they understand will give it a mass appeal few, if any, cryptocurrencies have achieved. Once we have created our market the sky is the limit; people looking to buy and dump to make a quick buck make up the majority of this forum and have no place in a well-designed ecosystem or community - they are the reason altcoins are almost all dead or dying. We will separate from them - you have ideas and I have ideas. As I said before, I have communicated with some bright people over the past year and this is hands-down the sharpest community in the altcoin world. This community is also a lot larger than it appears - there are Murraycoin enthusiasts all over the place that simply aren't crypto-nerds. There are a lot of people who have bought MRY (from me and others) who have never even heard of Cryptsy or this forum and they are excited just to be a part of it - more of that would also be great. This is certainly a target market in my eyes which is the reason I'm still working on the physical Murraycoin cards/etc. The problem in the eyes of the people here is that they want everything to happen overnight - there is only so much time in the day and only so much of that can be devoted to projects like this. Murraycoin has barely been around for a year but in this world that means it's time to hit the panic button - it's insane and it sucks! Most people here don't understand business in general and are too young and/or inexperienced to really grasp the concept of a simple currency, even - it's been a frustrating task. Everybody wants things to move more quickly but you have to be realistic. It's also important to remember that most of those people will contribute nothing significant to any of these projects - they think they have done us a favor by buying some coins and now we owe them something. I refuse to adjust course for those types of people - I want the investors to make money but not at the expense of proper execution. Quality takes time and sometimes things move slowly! When the dust settles and most of this other crap is forgotten Murraycoin will, at the very least, hold a place in cryptocurrency history - I guarantee it. Everyone who sticks around will be glad they did in the end.

I definitely agree we need to discuss actions, plans, timelines, and deadlines and light the Murraycoin fire again. We all realize the potential that exists here... and it's definitely important not to come to a complete stand-still (which we haven't despite appearing to many we have) - the real value definitely remains in getting this to the masses and getting the right people involved and both of those items are linked in various ways. You have been a big part of the former and I truly believe there is no where to go but up. Next week we can chat and I will get you an @murraycoin.org E-mail address and our Slack room set up as well. Your effort and motivation gives us an asset no other altcoin in existence has right now and I agree no time is too soon to use that to our advantage. Thanks, Brian.
Pages:
Jump to: