Pages:
Author

Topic: Mt.Gox AML/KYC Process Explained - page 8. (Read 71674 times)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000
Crypto Geek
August 26, 2012, 02:40:53 AM
So, how do the competition rate for KYC? Are the other exchanges doing it properly?
What is not proper?

I think asking for ID on 10% of shareholders is not KYC guidelines. Can anyone confirm?
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
I am the one who knocks
August 25, 2012, 06:31:17 PM
So, how do the competition rate for KYC? Are the other exchanges doing it properly?
What is not proper?
Crypto Geek
August 25, 2012, 06:14:34 PM
How does a company prove it's identity? Does this rule out Panamanian companies?
My guess would be that a principal would sign indicating such.  Give them a call; it wouldnt be the first time Mt Gox has this situation.

Got a reply:

For Businesses
1. Certificate of incorporation/registration
2. Identity & address verification of shareholders entitles to 10% or more in voting rights
3. Company constitution or articles of memorandum and a
4. Copy of Trust Deed for the Trust involved as part of shareholders (if any)
If your documents are not in english, or do not have latin script, they need to be translated and then notarized before uploading.

Note: Bank statements are not accepted.

Kindly upload any one of both Photo ID and Residence proof to https://mtgox.com/forms/verification for verification.

No.2 goes beyond a lot of corporate banking requirements and NYC and is probably an error.

I guess to maintain privacy you should be able to incorporate an additional separate company for no.2 but in practice they'd probably just ignore principles.
(you can't forge a contract between a company and a natural person, only company to a company such as a sole trader). So requesting things that are associated with the natural person such as a photo is misleading, even if it is a very common mistake to see.

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
I am the one who knocks
August 25, 2012, 02:22:45 PM
How does a company prove it's identity? Does this rule out Panamanian companies?
My guess would be that a principal would sign indicating such.  Give them a call; it wouldnt be the first time Mt Gox has this situation.
Crypto Geek
August 24, 2012, 11:07:33 AM
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
August 18, 2012, 06:10:42 PM
Tried to verify, but I keep getting an error. It just says "Error: undefined" when I fill out my name.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
LTC
August 06, 2012, 05:37:21 AM
So far I only had a pleasant experience with this guys. I only exchanged several ks with them, but they are faster than my ability to produce bitcoins ... Smiley
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
July 24, 2012, 06:53:30 AM
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still unclear about your policy here. If emphasis is indeed your policy, why did you report Goat to the police? Did you have proof of him being involved in severe financial crimes or not?

They mean a suspicion as defined by AML/CTF requirements.  They're legally obliged to make the report if the transaction fits certain "suspicious" criteria.  Some things must be reported no matter what.  Others are less clear cut and may not need to be reported if the user can supply information which proves the transaction is legitimate.

It would help a lot if they re-wrote that part of their policy to make its meaning clearer.

"will ONLY report ... if we HAVE ACTUAL PROOF" sounds pretty clear to me.

to be fair, I can't find this phrasing on https://mtgox.com/terms_of_service (any more?)

Is there some place (other than the one I just linked) where I can look at the effective policies mtgox is applying?
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
July 24, 2012, 06:11:09 AM
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still unclear about your policy here. If emphasis is indeed your policy, why did you report Goat to the police? Did you have proof of him being involved in severe financial crimes or not?

They mean a suspicion as defined by AML/CTF requirements.  They're legally obliged to make the report if the transaction fits certain "suspicious" criteria.  Some things must be reported no matter what.  Others are less clear cut and may not need to be reported if the user can supply information which proves the transaction is legitimate.

It would help a lot if they re-wrote that part of their policy to make its meaning clearer.

Yes, I thought the whole point of this thread was to make things clear...

i keep clicking these threads to get a clear(er) picture of what's happening, but alas!

i fail.
Activity: 868
July 24, 2012, 06:00:08 AM

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
July 24, 2012, 04:51:34 AM
For point 2 - We only report customers to the police relevant financial regulator when we have actual proof that they are actively involved in severe financial crimes such as money laundering or terrorist financing as we are legally obliged to do so. With regards to your particular case, I'll have to ask MagicalTux and get back to you. Would you prefer a public answer or for me to PM you?

vip
Activity: 308
June 28, 2012, 11:02:31 PM
I think I understand what Mt Gox support is saying and hope they'll correct me if I'm wrong.  It sounds like Mt Gox is limiting the amount of user funds being put at risk by only putting a certain amount of Dwolla withdrawals through at any given time, so that if Dwolla does suddenly lock their account they will be able to reimburse users out of their own reserves rather than those funds being unavailable to users indefinitely.

TradeHill claimed in their lawsuit that they had put $2 million through Dwolla in the month prior to folding.  It's not unreasonable to assume that MtGox does a similar volume of Dwolla business but if they kept enough funds in their Dwolla account to cover anticipated withdrawals for the coming month, two weeks or whatever, they'd risk a huge amount of money being frozen at no notice.  The only way to avoid that risk is to put smaller volumes of transactions through and wait until they've been fully processed before putting any more funds into the Dwolla system.  While we don't know what their risk tolerance is, obviously larger withdrawals bring them closer to that ceiling than smaller withdrawals.

That's how I understand what they're saying, anyway.

No need for correction.
Activity: 868
June 28, 2012, 10:55:08 PM
I think I understand what Mt Gox support is saying and hope they'll correct me if I'm wrong.  It sounds like Mt Gox is limiting the amount of user funds being put at risk by only putting a certain amount of Dwolla withdrawals through at any given time, so that if Dwolla does suddenly lock their account they will be able to reimburse users out of their own reserves rather than those funds being unavailable to users indefinitely.

TradeHill claimed in their lawsuit that they had put $2 million through Dwolla in the month prior to folding.  It's not unreasonable to assume that MtGox does a similar volume of Dwolla business but if they kept enough funds in their Dwolla account to cover anticipated withdrawals for the coming month, two weeks or whatever, they'd risk a huge amount of money being frozen at no notice.  The only way to avoid that risk is to put smaller volumes of transactions through and wait until they've been fully processed before putting any more funds into the Dwolla system.  While we don't know what their risk tolerance is, obviously larger withdrawals bring them closer to that ceiling than smaller withdrawals.

That's how I understand what they're saying, anyway.
vip
June 28, 2012, 09:59:02 PM
It has been explained here over and over. Dwolla decided to change its TOS when it comes to Bitcoin, this in order to protect their clients and their company and we have no problem whatsoever with them willing to protect their business. Dwolla requires now companies like us to submit certain documentations to issue them a "Writing Consent" that allow companies like us to freely continue to do business with Dwolla. As for today and after submitted these documents several weeks ago we are still waiting fro Dwolla to get back to us putting us in a very delicate situation with the fear of being shutdown at any single instant and have the funds on our Dwolla account frozen.

Thanks, I initiated a support ticket with Dwolla and referenced this discussion thread.  I am sure that when everyone knows where the bottleneck is we will get this worked out.

Thanks, hope it will have the effect we are all waiting for, we, Mt.Gox try to do everything by the book and would love to continue working with Dwolla and comply with their terms. I personally sent an email to Ben Milne 22nd but have yet received an email from him.

How odd, I got this back from my support ticket with Dwolla:

Michael,

Thank you for the clarification, I was under the impression you were sending funds to a third party. It appears that your account is active and verified, if the payment has not reached the Dwolla system we have no control over how long the transfer will take. If another Dwolla user has initiated a transfer to your Dwolla account you will see it in your "pending" transactions or "Money In" tab. I do not see any payments being made to your Dwolla balance at this time, therefore I am not able to see what the hold up is. I would recommend getting in contact again with the third party in question, to see if the funds have successfully been sent to your Dwolla account.

Thank you,

Dwolla Support

What's up with this?

There is nothing odd here and this has nothing do to with you being a verified and active Dwolla user. The problem has I stated earlier is that Dwolla has changed its TOS and impose us, as well as other Bitcoin oriented business working with them to comply with new TOS. Only Business approved by Dwolla and that received the so call "Writing Consent" will be in the clear. As for today, after sending them everything they asked us, after personally contacted Ben Milne to get this done one way or another, we are still in the "Dark".
So in order to avoid another "Technocash" fisaco we decided to be EXTREMELY cautious with Dwolla in every aspect resulting a slowdown in Withdrawals.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
June 28, 2012, 10:34:27 AM
It has been explained here over and over. Dwolla decided to change its TOS when it comes to Bitcoin, this in order to protect their clients and their company and we have no problem whatsoever with them willing to protect their business. Dwolla requires now companies like us to submit certain documentations to issue them a "Writing Consent" that allow companies like us to freely continue to do business with Dwolla. As for today and after submitted these documents several weeks ago we are still waiting fro Dwolla to get back to us putting us in a very delicate situation with the fear of being shutdown at any single instant and have the funds on our Dwolla account frozen.

Thanks, I initiated a support ticket with Dwolla and referenced this discussion thread.  I am sure that when everyone knows where the bottleneck is we will get this worked out.

Thanks, hope it will have the effect we are all waiting for, we, Mt.Gox try to do everything by the book and would love to continue working with Dwolla and comply with their terms. I personally sent an email to Ben Milne 22nd but have yet received an email from him.

How odd, I got this back from my support ticket with Dwolla:

Michael,

Thank you for the clarification, I was under the impression you were sending funds to a third party. It appears that your account is active and verified, if the payment has not reached the Dwolla system we have no control over how long the transfer will take. If another Dwolla user has initiated a transfer to your Dwolla account you will see it in your "pending" transactions or "Money In" tab. I do not see any payments being made to your Dwolla balance at this time, therefore I am not able to see what the hold up is. I would recommend getting in contact again with the third party in question, to see if the funds have successfully been sent to your Dwolla account.

Thank you,

Dwolla Support

What's up with this?
vip
June 27, 2012, 10:21:30 PM

Activity: 61
Merit: 10
June 27, 2012, 07:53:54 PM

vip
June 26, 2012, 11:05:30 PM
Why not completely disable Dwolla, now that Bitinstant offers paypal withdraw? 6% fee sucks, but hopefully it would be instant.

We have debated this internally many times, still Dwolla "works" and it is really cheap, on the other side we should have our own very cheap solution within this summer (Mid August) that will allow instant Withdraw and Deposit in Different countries... So we prefer focusing on this right now and keep on supporting Dwolla until then, or until they get back to us.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
June 26, 2012, 10:38:52 PM
Why not completely disable Dwolla, now that Bitinstant offers paypal withdraw? 6% fee sucks, but hopefully it would be instant.
vip
June 26, 2012, 10:34:37 PM
I have been trying to withdraw a few hundred dollars from MtGox. My account wasn't verified, because the FAQ says I don't need to be verified.
https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20919111-aml-account-statuses
Specifically "No verification needed (Level 0) - All accounts are initially Level 0"
"Daily withdrawal limit (24hrs): 1,000 USD (or equivalent) "

These days, I try to withdraw to Dwolla, and I thought everything was going smooth. But the $$ still haven't come in to dwolla, so I ask why.
MtGox rep replied that I need to provide document to become verified. This is absolutely not necessary as their own FAQ stated that I can withdraw up to $1000 a day without becoming verified.
It's been 3 days, and my funds are still stuck in MtGox. I've since sent them the documents.
If MtGox keep doing this, all their customers are just going to other exchange sites.

I am in the same situation, last month I tried to withdraw a couple hundred dollars to dwolla.  First the transaction said it was confirmed, then it was cancelled without even notifying me.  A week ago I logged into Mt. Gox only to discover that the funds were never transferred.  I started reading about the "verified account" nonsense, I couldn't understand why a transaction for $200 bucks would not be allowed.  I decided just to get my account verified.  After a three day process I finally had my account verified, I initiated the transfer out and STILL nothing has hit dwolla. 

I have no idea what is going on at Mt. Gox but it cannot be good.  This process used to take minutes, I have been trying to get my money out for over a month now.

Pages:
Jump to: