Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 150. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
February 11, 2014, 04:31:33 PM
An update on the article at http://www.coindesk.com/massive-concerted-attack-launched-bitcoin-exchanges/:

"Don’t panic

Antonopoulos was keen to stress that, although this is a serious attack, it doesn’t spell the end of bitcoin. He believes the DDoS attack will be “thwarted” and exchanges will be running all the reputable ones ecept for mt gox by Friday.

“I expect things will go back to normal and the honey badger of money can continue showing its resilience,” he said.

“The death of bitcoin has been prematurely announced so many times already that the obvious conclusion is that bitcoin is far more resilient than its critics would like to think. I am confident that in a few days, those who predicted the death of bitcoin will once again be proven wrong,” Antonopoulos concluded.
"

fixed your post to include mt gox as not a reputable exchange anymore. Mt gox code was exploitable so its the fault of bitcoin not the incompetence of mt gox  and customers should take the loss l
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
February 11, 2014, 04:12:43 PM
I don't usually call someone a criminal, but when I do, I make sure they don't have a defence.

I would hesitate to call Strudle a criminal no matter what his relationship and activities with Mt. Gox might be.  It's a small and unregulated dog-eat-dog economy and if someone is expecting to be competitive without employing various forms of favor which would normally be illegal (on paper at least), then they are just to dumb to remain in the game.  And probably won't.

Certain activities occurring inside the Bitcoin ecosystem may eventually filter up to the mainstream court systems, but I'll bet it will be unusual, and the kinds of activities which Strudle/Mt. Gox are theorized to be involved in will not be among them.  My best guess.  At least if they can avoid antagonizing various mainstream law enforcement agencies, and I'm sure that a little data-sharing will smooth any ruffled feathers that might occur in this sphere.

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
American1973
February 11, 2014, 04:12:03 PM
sturle, when IT people sit down to build networks, they do not say "Okay now what about when dozens of transnational gangsters fire their DDOS lazors at us?..."
And neither did MtGox.  Well, MtGox probably more than others.  People who implement financial software in general.

[...]

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

Granted, but frankly this is like, crowd-sourced IT analysis, and yet, some people become billionaires off it, so I understand why the mob will always hate the profiteers.  I hate profiteers myself.

For example, when there is a disaster and the guy starts chraging 500 dollars an hour for the use of his backhoe.  When that guy gets taken out, is anyone surprised?  Does his lawyer show up to hold "court"?  Haha, no.

Also:  The average shopping mall can be converted into a displaced person hotel or prison in a few hours with nothing but chainlink fencing and rifled men.  So, reality seems to be lacking in a lot of these crypto-greed minds.  Anyway, you are right in this post above.  It's kinda like their own egos need to be herded together to make a good solution.

But, it's simple to see that the BTC snobs are fools in the same light.  xD
legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
February 11, 2014, 04:03:24 PM
Well now that's a good 72 hour response.  DERP all round.

So, SIMPLE POINT HERE: Why doesn't Gox just take up ONE ALTERNATE CURRENCY?

Why doesn't Gox allow BTC conversion into some crypto which can be sent to a functioning exchange with good IT people?
Is there any functioning exchange right now?  One where you can withdraw BTC?  I would be careful with other cryptocurrencies as well, since all are vulnerable to the same problem.

Do you want some salt on "users of the reference implementation do not need to be concerned", Gavin?
sturle, when IT people sit down to build networks, they do not say "Okay now what about when dozens of transnational gangsters fire their DDOS lazors at us?..."
And neither did MtGox.  Well, MtGox probably more than others.  People who implement financial software in general.

Gavin understands the issue as well now:
Quote from: #bitcoin-dev
20:21 < sturles> At least "users of the reference implementation do not need to be concerned" about this malabillity problem.  But my
           transaction list is beginning to look quite messy, and why are my accounts all messed up?
20:24 < gavinandresen> sturles: mea culpa. Reference implementation definitely needs to be fixed…  but complaining at us won't make it
           get fixed any faster.
But complaining at MtGox will make it get fixed faster.  Of course.

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
February 11, 2014, 04:00:50 PM
put strudle on ignore, when is gox next announcement on withdrawl issue?

He's the most valuable poster here imho.  The last of his breed.  I don't use ignore lists, but if I did, I certainly would not put him on it!

+1

I've been lurking in this forum for months, primarily to read what sturle has to say.

+1 to Sturle
He provides useful information and doesn't just insinuate
or FUD(which if he really was a selfish twisted prick of a twat
probably make his endeavors that much more profitable,
hence he is in at least short term sense, working against himself).
Now do I think he sometimes could be more tactful with his messages yes,
implying others are idiots or talking about their Moms is not PC.

Activity: 406
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
February 11, 2014, 03:48:43 PM
An update on the article at http://www.coindesk.com/massive-concerted-attack-launched-bitcoin-exchanges/:

"Don’t panic

Antonopoulos was keen to stress that, although this is a serious attack, it doesn’t spell the end of bitcoin. He believes the DDoS attack will be “thwarted” and exchanges will be running as usual by Friday.

“I expect things will go back to normal and the honey badger of money can continue showing its resilience,” he said.

“The death of bitcoin has been prematurely announced so many times already that the obvious conclusion is that bitcoin is far more resilient than its critics would like to think. I am confident that in a few days, those who predicted the death of bitcoin will once again be proven wrong,” Antonopoulos concluded.
"
legendary
February 11, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
people who support gox at this point are either ignorant or shills auto ignore imo
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 11, 2014, 03:33:09 PM

He's the most valuable poster here imho.  The last of his breed.  I don't use ignore lists, but if I did, I certainly would not put him on it!

+1

I've been lurking in this forum for months, primarily to read what sturle has to say.

American1973
February 11, 2014, 03:32:16 PM
[...]

selective information and selective withdraw privileges of gox...

[...]

You make good points about 'some can and some can't'  ...That's not fair.

Yet, it's a different argument during fog of war, to hold court on the sidlelines of a battle. 

One thing I notice is how impatient my fellow Americans often are, in line at the store.  I mean, it is as if patience is a lost art!  Personally I blame cocaine and meth, I do not use either.
Activity: 434
February 11, 2014, 03:29:57 PM

I think MtGox may have a point after all.  And for the claim that other exchanges work fine:  I think not.

ahem...
RE: KRAKEN;

@ Dargo:
MtGox and Bitstamp have problems with this bitcoin bug transaction malleability.
https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitcoin-withdraws-suspended/
Do you have to do the same like bitstamp or is your software good enough to avoid this?

We're not affected by this issue because we don't rely on transaction IDs for accounting the same way that these other exchanges do. 

read 'other exchanges' = AMATEURS.
American1973
February 11, 2014, 03:29:44 PM

[...]

Maybe, but it's not like a light switch... Implementing something like that costs time. Currently they have other things to solve and don't have this time.

[...]

Oh they don't have time to notice the whole notion of cryptocoin evolving aound them?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
February 11, 2014, 03:29:17 PM
He's the most valuable poster here imho.  The last of his breed.  I don't use ignore lists, but if I did, I certainly would not put him on it!
He's just disgruntled because I never answer him, because.. hrm..  I have him on ignore.

You have seemingly ignored me also, because you have not addressed my legitimate concerns about the selective information and selective withdraw privileges of gox...  Roll Eyes

I don't usually call someone a criminal, but when I do, I make sure they don't have a defence.
American1973
February 11, 2014, 03:24:49 PM

Why doesn't Gox allow BTC conversion into some crypto which can be sent to a functioning exchange with good IT people?
Is there any functioning exchange right now?  One where you can withdraw BTC?  I would be careful with other cryptocurrencies as well, since all are vulnerable to the same problem.

Do you want some salt on "users of the reference implementation do not need to be concerned", Gavin?

American1973
February 11, 2014, 03:19:30 PM
I am thinking of all the actual FRN USD traders a while back who just simply had their nut stolen.  [crocodile tears]

Well, the blockchain is actually a good thing, in terms of owning cryptocoin.  BUT, traders hang themselves out to dry.  Wolf of wall cryptostreet?  Fuckin puppies compared to real gangsters.

So, non traders like me just shrug.  I am not worried about my coins at Gox really.  The blockchain is what matters and it must be respected, and you must disallow all employees or "smart people" or money people, who debauch your party's implementation of the blockchain.

Just as the nature of all cryptocoin is to reject bad nodes, then yes, someone should lose their job, but who gives a fuck about jobs right?  I don't think there are any full time IT jobs left in the future, all temp workers.  Now, what does that bode for networks?
legendary
February 11, 2014, 03:14:53 PM
He's just disgruntled because I never answer him, because.. hrm..  I have him on ignore. Roll Eyes  Seriously, I have never seen donk4u add anything of value to the discussion here, so he went pretty fast.  Could try to answer him once, and perhaps he will feel appreciated as well.  Smiley
American1973
February 11, 2014, 03:14:13 PM
Is it safe to say that if we assume that MtGox and the other exchanges are facing the same issue, if Bitstamp is able to fix the problem in their designated time frame (24-72 hours) and resume withdrawals, MtGox will be able to do the same?

If bitstamp finds resolution and gox still refused to process withdrawls truth will be clear at least.

Sure, but as mentioned, they do have the market cap, but you are right about their spread, any trader looks at that and wants a piece.

I have a good friend who is an engineer.  He will not accept any 9/11 conspiracy because his estimation of humanity is that "there is no way you could hide conspiracy like that"   ...So, he is essentially saying "nobody's that smart"  ...Which is what a lawyer would argue in court, "Nobody could have know [such and such]"  --SEE?  They appeal to the non-precedence of the event, kinda like planes hitting buildings as weapons, though it had been analyzed and fielded decades before, it was still able to be played as a "wow, where'd THAT come from?!"-type event.  Knowmsayin?

So, stupidity and laxness, are often fielded as accidental, yet, how would you ever find a lawyer, willing to admit that?  So, like the guy said earlier in this thread "Haha you Amricans always wanting to sue someone" ...As an American I have to kinda agree, because this guy knows: Court and lawyers, are mostly bullshit solutions in the final analysis of the lone plaintiff trying to get his cryptocoin back.
Activity: 406
February 11, 2014, 03:10:13 PM
Master problem coming,
Now we need a lot money from MtGox and Bitstamp, but they will not have the money to make payments !
legendary
February 11, 2014, 03:09:42 PM

legendary
February 11, 2014, 03:07:39 PM
Is it safe to say that if we assume that MtGox and the other exchanges are facing the same issue, if Bitstamp is able to fix the problem in their designated time frame (24-72 hours) and resume withdrawals, MtGox will be able to do the same?

If bitstamp finds resolution and gox still refused to process withdrawls truth will be clear at least.
Jump to: