Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 149. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
February 12, 2014, 05:35:48 AM
But complaining at MtGox will make it get fixed faster.  Of course.

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

The official client is fixed already. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/1bbca24
This is only a workaround for a part of the problem, it doesn't fix it.  Even with this option on the client will spend one-confirmation outputs, which will break again in case of a reorg of one block.  A fix would e.g. use another unique ID, independent of the txid, for internal accounting, notice when a txid has changed for a transaction, and resend transactions which depend on the changed txid.

This prevents the current DDOS which is currently affecting Bitstamp
No, it doesn't.  It is just some tape to hold it better together and make it happen less frequently.

- which is a DIFFERENT issue. MtGox's problem is that they get transactions rejected because they don't format them properly:
Mallable transactions is not their biggest problem, sending broken transactions is.
Nope.  Wouldn't make much difference.  Their problem is treating the txid as if the confirmed txid for a transaction will be identical to the txid of the transaction they sent.  And this, incidentally, is the cause of Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind failure as well.  A broken transaction (in that the signature won't get accepted by clients version 0.8 and above) just make the exploit easier because the attacker has more time.

You are basically spreading FUD. Your story is that everyone else has mtgoxproblems.gif because someone decided to do a ddos on the bitcoin network today - except that's simply not true. There is a difference between a bug which displays your balance incorrectly until you rescan your wallet and sending someone withdraws twice.
The problem is the same (change of txid confuses clients), the consequences differs between implementations.
legendary
February 12, 2014, 05:19:37 AM
They do not claim the bug is "hereto unnoticed".  They even claim it is a known design issue.
Yes, I see that now. Even so, this looks to have been addressed in almost every other client/service, and the fact they left it until their withdrawals were crippled to do something about it just seems like laziness.
"Unanticipated bugs don’t come with year-old wiki pages fully documenting them. Gox is full of shit"
"There’s no “new bug". This has been known since 2011 and only incompetent bunch of clowns would based withdrawal refunds on it"
"If Bitcoin Foundation’s mission is to promote bitcoin, then Karpeles should resign or be kicked out for violating mission"

more gold at https://twitter.com/aantonop
"Somebody (or several somebodies) is taking advantage of the transaction malleability issue and relaying mutated versions of transactions. This is exposing bugs in both the reference implementation and some exchange’s software."

"Users of the reference implementation who are bitten by this bug may see their bitcoins “tied up” in unconfirmed transactions; we need to update the software to fix that bug, so when they upgrade those coins are returned to the wallet and are available to spend again."

"As a result, exchanges are temporarily suspending withdrawals to protect customer funds and prevent funds from being misdirected."

More gold at https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=422

I expect this joke under the alias "aantonop" to demand Gavin's resignation from the Bitcoin Foundation as well.  Because the only competent non-clown in Bitcoin is obviously aantonop!  ROFL!
legendary
Activity: 1204
February 12, 2014, 04:23:39 AM
The official client is fixed already. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/1bbca24
Yes, although "spend unconfirmed change" is ON by default, so the fix is ineffective by default. That probably should become OFF in a later release.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
American1973
February 12, 2014, 12:41:27 AM
What about those Fiat withdrawls out of the rolling honey -pot tank......?

Nobody got anything in the meantime not even after 6 weeks delay just as those guns work normal...as a

Gay-Boucherie surely implies.. Wink ?

You are right, in that it is unfair that some get to trade, as others do not.  Myself, I use neither kraken nor gox, but kraken is looking good right about now.  But yeah, you are right of course.  Wink
zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
February 11, 2014, 10:35:18 PM
What about those Fiat withdrawls out of the rolling honey -pot tank......?

Nobody got anything in the meantime not even after 6 weeks delay just as those guns work normal...as a

Gay-Boucherie surely implies.. Wink ?
American1973
February 11, 2014, 09:18:19 PM
Mt. Gox is paying out ?   to widows and orphans?   Mr. Bitcoin Market is an complete idiot as always !

first paying 27 % premium for Gox -BTC you couldn´t even withdraw and now he offers a 27 % discount

against Bitstamp Btc....even as they are not to be withdrawn  as well.........when counting their wallets

in the next 72 hours there might be nothing to count anymore Wink

Cheers

No, because its each exchanges' internal accounting which "strays" from the blockchain, so to speak.  So, they can adjust accordingly, and yes, as Goxies are saying, it takes time.  Many people are having success?  It's just limited for the moment like a dragster or a tank, on the lift, because it has a knock in the engine, but the guns are fine.

How does a carpenter sound a ship?  He hammers on it.  He finds the weak points.  So, the blockchain of BTC is being fixed in such terms.  So, as long as SOMEONE maintains the perfect step in regards to the blockchain and the principles of the satoshi spirit, then the machine rolls forward.

Even after nuke war, people will keep the blockchains going.  The only way to run a good exchange is to be honorable, but stealing the SR wallets was as shitty as in that film Pulp Fiction.  You do not steal wallets, that is bad form.  So, a lot of this recent bs is attached to afghan wars, etc, societies, etc, blah blah blah.  So, be patient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OHrQYwRac
zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
February 11, 2014, 08:38:45 PM
Mt. Gox is paying out ?   to widows and orphans?   Mr. Bitcoin Market is an complete idiot as always !

first paying 27 % premium for Gox -BTC you couldn´t even withdraw and now he offers a 27 % discount

against Bitstamp Btc....even as they are not to be withdrawn  as well.........when counting their wallets

in the next 72 hours there might be nothing to count anymore Wink

Cheers
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
February 11, 2014, 06:06:55 PM
You have seemingly ignored me also, because you have not addressed my legitimate concerns about the selective information and selective withdraw privileges of gox...  Roll Eyes
I don't have any selective withdraw privileges.  Mine are the same as those of any other verified user.

Using what I have learned by experience and by filtering useful information from public fora over many years to have a greater chance to succeed when I try to withdraw is not the same as selective withdraw privileges.  Not all my attempts were successful, btw.  I made a number of 10 BTC withdrawals.  Some were successful, some not.  I did it at a time when I had reason to expect a higher success rate, based on public information and my own experience. 

In this case people came to #mtgox and complained about an error message which usually means the bitcoin address entered in the withdrawal form is invalid or indicates an empty hot wallet at MtGox.  This was at the middle of the night Tokyo time, and I knew they would fill up first thing in the morning.  After a couple hours the reports stopped coming, and this would be the sweet spot.  Hot wallet refreshed with old unspent inputs which most likely would be chosen first.  They don't keep dust in their cold wallets, so I could choose a reasonable withdrawal size as well.

No special privileges or access to restricted information needed.  Everything is out in the open for everyone to learn.  I am certainly not the only one unaffiliated with MtGox who used this trick.  The fresh inputs went very quickly.  My only fault here is telling you about it.

At least MtGox credited my failed withdrawals back to my account.  The 8 BTC withdrawal I made from Bitstamp this morning is still listed as "Finished", but nothing arrived, nothing credited back and support are quiet.  AFAIK Bitstamp has no IRC support either.

Thank you for information. I have a hard time believing that a Norwegian could be a liar. So I wait until Mt.Gox destiny is sealed, at which point it is evident if they have all the bitcoins or not. Even if they do have them, they are still criminals in my book based on their past actions, some of which I have divulged in this thread. If they don't, you will have to admit that you were wrong all the time, leading others to destruction. At that point there will certainly be investigation on your role also.

All I want is to root out the evil from Bitcoin. I am not accepting any compensation from anyone for my losses caused by Gox crimes, unless the widows and orphans share the same pool prorated. I also hope that you cease to call them "useful idiots" solely on the grounds that their trust on the Foundation-Endorsed Market Leader has been obscenely exploited.

American1973
February 11, 2014, 05:48:06 PM
Lolz i have a hard time understanding you.

[...]

I'm sayin that since you still have enough dignity NOT to be a thief, then you're okay in my book.

Everyone should have "a book" in which people are either good or bad.  Like Santa, knowmsayin?
American1973
February 11, 2014, 05:46:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWesxME9Cto&list=PL7B64C0AC7DE05636&feature=player_detailpage

ARR - I Get Around by The Beach Boys from Sounds of Summer
Lyrics:

[...]

I get around
Get around round round I get around
From town to town
I'm a real cool head
I'm makin' real good bread
I get around
Round
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
February 11, 2014, 05:37:45 PM
If i was getting .50 on 1 dollar and withdrawing like the plus 1 man i would love gox too i don't know if I could be scummy enough to do that if i had the chance though. If gox wasn't the dishonest company they are plus 1 man wouldn't have the opportunity to commit these dishonest and imo criminal acts.

I vote your attitude bolded above as the best way to have a functioning cooperation.

Lolz i have a hard time understanding you. Are you saying giving people the ability to withdraw while denying others to do so and having those that can withdraw rape those that can't is the way to function? Maybe you are being incredibly sarcastic and my ability to be jovial or joke  has been affected during this ordeal. I am guessing its the latter. :/ 
American1973
February 11, 2014, 05:33:05 PM
If i was getting .50 on 1 dollar and withdrawing like the plus 1 man i would love gox too i don't know if I could be scummy enough to do that if i had the chance though. If gox wasn't the dishonest company they are plus 1 man wouldn't have the opportunity to commit these dishonest and imo criminal acts.

I vote your attitude bolded above as the best way to have a functioning cooperation.
legendary
February 11, 2014, 05:23:27 PM
American1973
February 11, 2014, 05:17:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiie_zmSr8

ARR The Alan Parsons Project- Eye in the Sky Album:Eye in the Sky (1982)

Don't think sorry's easily said
Don't try turning tables instead
You've taken lots of chances before
But I'm not gonna give anymore
Don't ask me
That's how it goes
Cause part of me knows what youre thinkin

Don't say words youre gonna regret
Don't let the fire rush to your head
Ive heard the accusation before
And I ain't gonna take any more
Believe me
The sun in your eyes
Made some of the lies worth believing

Chorus:
I am the eye in the sky
Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind
And I dont need to see any more
To know that
I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Dont leave false illusions behind
Dont cry cause I aint changing my mind
So find another fool like before
Cause I aint gonna live anymore believing
Some of the lies while all of the signs are deceiving
legendary
February 11, 2014, 05:14:47 PM
You have seemingly ignored me also, because you have not addressed my legitimate concerns about the selective information and selective withdraw privileges of gox...  Roll Eyes
I don't have any selective withdraw privileges.  Mine are the same as those of any other verified user.

Using what I have learned by experience and by filtering useful information from public fora over many years to have a greater chance to succeed when I try to withdraw is not the same as selective withdraw privileges.  Not all my attempts were successful, btw.  I made a number of 10 BTC withdrawals.  Some were successful, some not.  I did it at a time when I had reason to expect a higher success rate, based on public information and my own experience. 

In this case people came to #mtgox and complained about an error message which usually means the bitcoin address entered in the withdrawal form is invalid or indicates an empty hot wallet at MtGox.  This was at the middle of the night Tokyo time, and I knew they would fill up first thing in the morning.  After a couple hours the reports stopped coming, and this would be the sweet spot.  Hot wallet refreshed with old unspent inputs which most likely would be chosen first.  They don't keep dust in their cold wallets, so I could choose a reasonable withdrawal size as well.

No special privileges or access to restricted information needed.  Everything is out in the open for everyone to learn.  I am certainly not the only one unaffiliated with MtGox who used this trick.  The fresh inputs went very quickly.  My only fault here is telling you about it.

At least MtGox credited my failed withdrawals back to my account.  The 8 BTC withdrawal I made from Bitstamp this morning is still listed as "Finished", but nothing arrived, nothing credited back and support are quiet.  AFAIK Bitstamp has no IRC support either.
Activity: 434
February 11, 2014, 05:03:49 PM

Tweets

Kraken ‏@krakenfx 2 Std.

Kraken halts nothing! Because planning. Carry on Smiley

quality  Grin
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
February 11, 2014, 04:51:17 PM
Certain activities occurring inside the Bitcoin ecosystem may eventually filter up to the mainstream court systems, but I'll bet it will be unusual, and the kinds of activities which Strudle/Mt. Gox are theorized to be involved in will not be among them.  My best guess.  At least if they can avoid antagonizing various mainstream law enforcement agencies, and I'm sure that a little data-sharing will smooth any ruffled feathers that might occur in this sphere.

I am disgruntled that "justice" system is integrated with criminals in the way you described. U.S. system might function well but it has so little to do with plain old justice that a rename might be in order.
legendary
February 11, 2014, 04:45:19 PM
In my case I bought at 25 percent markup on jan 27  recieved 1.1 bitcoin for 1100 when 1 bitcoin was going for 780.  Since that time gox has held my money hostage and i have watched 1100 shrink to 600 usd thanks to a crooked exchange that is holding my money ransom and will not allow me to withdraw for 3d week counting. mtgox will most likey come up with a solution when bitcoin is at 200 or lower. I am resting assured that my coin is safe on gox as bitcoin drops lower and lower every day.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004
February 11, 2014, 04:38:08 PM

Tweets

Kraken ‏@krakenfx 2 Std.

Kraken halts nothing! Because planning. Carry on Smiley
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
February 11, 2014, 04:31:48 PM
Why don't the exchanges simply employ their very own miner to exclusively verify their own withdrawal transactions either before or at the same instant they are submitted to the bitcoin network thereby eliminating any timeframe in which malleability can take place?

What am I missing here?
Jump to: