Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 148. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
February 12, 2014, 12:35:57 PM
Any educated guess on when Gox will allow withdraw of BTCs again (assuming it will happen)?

are we talking about days, weeks or months?
I don't like making guesses, so I'll let you all interpret this for yourselves:

Quote from: MagicalTux in #mtgox
04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Other news which may influence how you plan your BTC purchases when the BTC withdrawal floodgates open:
Quote from: SarahCoinBit in #mtgox
11:57 <@SarahCoinBit> Diabolicus_Work I've had more requests to cancel fiat withdrawals in the last two days than i have in the last two months
I.e: The amount of fiat on MtGox is increasing rapidly.

Think about this for a moment: If I made up a fake quote here where MagicalTux allegedly told me in private that MtGox would resume BTC withdrawals tomorrow morning, I could make a million by buying buckets of BTC on MtGox just before I posted it, and selling as soon as people start denouncing it as a fake.  Just by abusing your trust in me.  It will probably only work once, but that is all I need.  I can retire afterwards.  Always beware of market manipulation.  And note that my quotes above, which are correct, may be carefully selected and placed in a different context to manipulate the market.  Always be very critical to news and reports when you don't have the full story first hand, and take speculation for what it is: 100% made up, often for the purpose of manipulating the market.
Reality check: You are overestimating the influence of this forum/thread on the market. If you made up a fake quote by MagicalTux most people would look for an official/more reliable confirmation, and in the meanwhile the price wouldn't do shit.
Possibly.  Did you notice the $50 price increase on MtGox which was ignited minutes after I posted my two selected quotes above?  The rally started on MtGox, and the reaction on other exchanges were limited.  Could be a coincidence of course.  In this case my quotes were easy to verify (but if this caused the price increase, the reaction was so fast I doubt the first buyers did).  A private conversation is impossible to verify, of course, and the official sources would be silent.  (As usual.)
zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
February 12, 2014, 11:56:43 AM
the quote is 1: 1,3  for bitstamp being faster to reenable withdrawls...

but as the bitcoin market sucks badly as always, my bet is on the Goxxies Cheesy
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
February 12, 2014, 11:34:41 AM
@sturle
I have read bitstamp thread and there is only you complaining of not geting btc back credited. Otherwise users would make a new thread what were similar to thousands of stuck transactions what mtgox had.

Bitstamp only has two reports for btc withdraw: pending and finished. Those with finished will have their btc back. However, due recent events they go trough scrutiny to avoid ripoff attempt. What is a smart move on their part, i wish mtgox were smarter reagarding this,so  there is no difference how both exchange give status of the withdraw,however mtgox had thousands stuck transactions and continue to allow it for more then 20 days. You really can not compare bitstamp and mtgox how they handle things not to mention huge backlog in support what mtgox has vs bitstamp.
On bitstamp account history there is enough information to find out is your transaction in blockchain or not. So not really a difference in my opinion.
Other then that iam aware of topic in this thread but you complain about bitstamp here as well anywhere you can whatbseem to be biased towards mtgox.
I think i was clear about other questions and dont know what context to add it. So i will consider it as you do not want to answer ( at this time).

Edit
Finally, i do not accuse you of being mtgox shill or to have insider information. I see you on irc and read yourbpost in other threads.
I just think that is wrong to be so supportive of mtgox and never complain, but you do to other exchange which are working just fine and fix their issues promp manner.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
February 12, 2014, 11:17:01 AM
What they probably need to do:

1. Organise their wallets in such a way that they mark the coinbase coins, and mark the incoming unconfirmed transactions.

2. Make sure all their transactions are legal, are taken from outputs that are old enough, and have the right fee.

3. Make sure that all transactions are properly identified for later use in the system.

4. Scan through all accounts and make sure that they all have the right amount of coins. Mark those who have wrong amount of coins due to erroneously manual resending of withdrawals.

5. Answer the question "Are we solvent"

6. Reintroduce bitcoin redrawals for the unmarked accounts and start to manually check the rest.

7. Sum up the loss for negative amounts where the customer is not willing to pay back.

8. Fix the fiat redrawals.

9. Be more open on the state of the system, the various queues, how many coins redrawn in total per day and fiat per day and so on.

Seems to be a lot of work.

legendary
February 12, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
Have you got back your btc credited back from bitstamp.
No.

You complain because they marked it as finished. Tell me how mtgox marked all those stuck transaction?
MtGox always gave me a txid which I could track, and after 2 hours I got to see all the details of the stuck transaction.

Any different?
Yes, absolutely.  A trackable txid beats "Finished".

transaction were in limbo for weeks and none could trade with it! Furher, how long you waited for mtgox to credit back your btc?
Not long, because I didn't withdraw any until people started selling BTC on MtGox at a discount.  Other people with some exceptions, waited up to a week.

Beside, your explanation of wrong address what mtgox had a while ago what you interupt as empty wallet happened only once, while you want to convice others how there was many other ways to withdraw funds out of mtgox faster. What are other ways what worked for you except that mentioned above?
Not sure.  Please quote or add more context.

I only see you complaining not having btc back from bitstamp nobody else.
Probably because you are reading the MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] thread, not one of the Bitstamp threads.  There are a lot of complaints on IRC and Reddit as well.
February 12, 2014, 11:05:30 AM

04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Hmm, can anyone tell me which announcement [MtGox/MagicalTux] is refering to ? Cause I can't remember any date different from "once the issue outlined above has been properly addressed" issued in monday's announcement.

Mark stated that they have a fix what can be implement fast, however they want to have okey from bitcoin core devs.
Above tux statemant refer that if that does not happen or need a longer time they will implement it anyway.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
February 12, 2014, 11:01:04 AM

04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Hmm, can anyone tell me which announcement [MtGox/MagicalTux] is refering to ? Cause I can't remember any date different from "once the issue outlined above has been properly addressed" issued in monday's announcement.
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
February 12, 2014, 10:41:19 AM
Any educated guess on when Gox will allow withdraw of BTCs again (assuming it will happen)?

04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Other news which may influence how you plan your BTC purchases when the BTC withdrawal floodgates open:
11:57 <@SarahCoinBit> Diabolicus_Work I've had more requests to cancel fiat withdrawals in the last two days than i have in the last two months

Think about this for a moment: If I made up a fake quote here where MagicalTux allegedly told me in private that MtGox would resume BTC withdrawals tomorrow morning, I could make a million by buying buckets of BTC on MtGox just before I posted it, and selling as soon as people start denouncing it as a fake.  Just by abusing your trust in me.  It will probably only work once, but that is all I need.  I can retire afterwards.  Always beware of market manipulation.  And note that my quotes above, which are correct, may be carefully selected and placed in a different context to manipulate the market.  Always be very critical to news and reports when you don't have the full story first hand, and take speculation for what it is: 100% made up, often for the purpose of manipulating the market.

thanks for the info.

As indicated by the forum, I am a newbie (quite accurate), so this follow up question may seem obvious for many people but not to me:
where did you get this info? are you in direct contact with Gox (i.e. IRC or something similar)?

and if so, how can other people can contact Gox staff?

by opening a ticket in mt gox support section however in 3 weeks i have received nothing but the same  copy paste email, I think a couple of people  in this thread claim they have direct access to gox support that others do not don't know validity of this off course.
February 12, 2014, 10:39:32 AM
Guys, its simple, register on irc and go to the #mtgox channel, there you can find "fresh" information whatever that info migt be.
There are also chat logs on pastebin - have fun.

Bitcoin dev irc.      #bitcoin-dev

@sturle
Have you got back your btc credited back from bitstamp. You complain because they marked it as finished. Tell me how mtgox marked all those stuck transaction? Any different? No they were marked as processed. But with major difference - transaction were in limbo for weeks and none could trade with it! Furher, how long you waited for mtgox to credit back your btc?

Beside, your explanation of wrong address what mtgox had a while ago what you interupt as empty wallet happened only once, while you want to convice others how there was many other ways to withdraw funds out of mtgox faster. What are other ways what worked for you except that mentioned above?

Edit
I only see you complaining not having btc back from bitstamp nobody else.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
February 12, 2014, 10:34:56 AM

Think about this for a moment: If I made up a fake quote here where MagicalTux allegedly told me in private that MtGox would resume BTC withdrawals tomorrow morning, I could make a million by buying buckets of BTC on MtGox just before I posted it, and selling as soon as people start denouncing it as a fake.  Just by abusing your trust in me.  It will probably only work once, but that is all I need.  I can retire afterwards.  Always beware of market manipulation.  And note that my quotes above, which are correct, may be carefully selected and placed in a different context to manipulate the market.  Always be very critical to news and reports when you don't have the full story first hand, and take speculation for what it is: 100% made up, often for the purpose of manipulating the market.

Reality check: You are overestimating the influence of this forum/thread on the market. If you made up a fake quote by MagicalTux most people would look for an official/more reliable confirmation, and in the meanwhile the price wouldn't do shit.

Activity: 71
February 12, 2014, 10:33:26 AM

thanks for the info.

As indicated by the forum, I am a newbie (quite accurate), so this follow up question may seem obvious for many people but not to me:
where did you get this info? are you in direct contact with Gox (i.e. IRC or something similar)?

and if so, how can other people can contact Gox staff?
legendary
February 12, 2014, 10:30:10 AM

if ever then weeks.

Im guessing never and if gox opens withdrawls to wallets I am guessing they will do it only if bitcoin crashes to 50 or 100 usd. The good news is they will in the interim let people like plus one man trade at .50 on the dollar though for anyone that has large amounts of bitcoins stuck

Is it possible for them to allow BTC withdraws once the price crashes to 50 or 100USD? how would that work?

They probably have that much to cover the bankrun and once hits that low would miraculesly find fix to problem that dosen't exist. Bitcoin will prob not drop that low though so doubt that will happen unless another bitcoin exchange tanks or few more bad news postings  like bitinstant owner arrest etc.
February 12, 2014, 10:26:25 AM

if ever then weeks.

Im guessing never and if gox opens withdrawls to wallets I am guessing they will do it only if bitcoin crashes to 50 or 100 usd. The good news is they will in the interim let people like plus one man trade at .50 on the dollar though for anyone that has large amounts of bitcoins stuck

Is it possible for them to allow BTC withdraws once the price crashes to 50 or 100USD? how would that work?

legendary
February 12, 2014, 10:22:01 AM

Activity: 91
February 12, 2014, 09:36:57 AM

I would add withdraws in general ... are they processing any kind of withdraw Huh can any one confirm fiat transfers these days ?
legendary
February 12, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

if ever then weeks.

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com
February 12, 2014, 09:33:24 AM

if ever then weeks.
February 12, 2014, 09:24:14 AM

legendary
February 12, 2014, 08:35:00 AM
But complaining at MtGox will make it get fixed faster.  Of course.

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

The official client is fixed already. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/1bbca24

This prevents the current DDOS which is currently affecting Bitstamp - which is a DIFFERENT issue. MtGox's problem is that they get transactions rejected because they don't format them properly:

http://falkvinge.net/2014/02/11/the-embarrassing-fact-mtgox-left-out-of-their-press-release/

Mallable transactions is not their biggest problem, sending broken transactions is.

You are basically spreading FUD. Your story is that everyone else has mtgoxproblems.gif because someone decided to do a ddos on the bitcoin network today - except that's simply not true. There is a difference between a bug which displays your balance incorrectly until you rescan your wallet and sending someone withdraws twice.

Everyone plus oneing the guy who is snapping up players funds at .50 on 1 dollar like a theif in the night because of how knowledgeable on gox he is meanwhile he dosen't know the difference between a denial of service attack and  gox reason for  trapping stealing its customers money.

So the problem of malleability remained at MtGox, while having been fixed in the rest of the world. This – the discrepancy itself – was the root cause of the problem, because it meant that MtGox started issuing invalid transaction records for bitcoin withdrawals. Obviously, they were rejected by the bitcoin network.

The above is what happened at gox no other legitamate site sent withdrawls that had invalid transaction records and would obviously get stuck.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
In da Jungle!
February 12, 2014, 06:07:32 AM
Okay, all this cruddy crap and negative news because of MtGox... doesn't just make you want to start a contest to see who can make the best "Screw MtGox" video or something?

Perhaps something on Fiverr.... ? Smiley  Okay, I am not here to advertise Fiverr, I just noticed they are accepting bitcoins, and so I started a month long contest thread!

please take 30 seconds, and see if you agree, and perhaps try winning 10x your investment! 

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fiverr-gigs-accept-bitcoin-contest-for-best-bitcoin-gig-461507

You can win $50 for a $5 fun "investment" Grin

Jump to: