Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 72. (Read 908607 times)

zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
March 02, 2014, 02:54:50 PM
His suit does look cheap. Maddof looked much better.

Problem is the concept of the Sunk Cost fallacy, the Gambler's fallacy, and our nature to believe in a subjective reality. Having read Rand and such, I found the only thing of value was:

• "Reality Exists"
  • "Contradictions, by their very nature, do not exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises, one of them is wrong."

Gox is a funny case. But oddly enough not unique. The question is what can we learn from it?

C

Renaming the thread :  Watching Bitstamp withdrawls time closely-----its taking over an hour already Wink
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 2258
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
March 02, 2014, 02:04:08 PM
His suit does look cheap. Maddof looked much better.

Problem is the concept of the Sunk Cost fallacy, the Gambler's fallacy, and our nature to believe in a subjective reality. Having read Rand and such, I found the only thing of value was:

• "Reality Exists"
  • "Contradictions, by their very nature, do not exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises, one of them is wrong."

Gox is a funny case. But oddly enough not unique. The question is what can we learn from it?

C
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
March 02, 2014, 01:42:39 PM
it doesn't matter how he is looking or how he is dressed(with suit or training pants). the point is that the people believed a lot of non senses received from MtGox during the years.

How can trust a company for more than one year which is keep saying "there are delays with the withdrawals but it is not our fault".

Yes, there can be problems(any company from this planet can have problems with their bank accounts but not for a year).If so, something is fishy...
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 2258
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
March 02, 2014, 01:22:46 PM
I know it's very hard for many people who has money in MTgox to accept the fact that they lost all their funds.
They accepted the risk when they "invested" in bitcoin,using mtgox. Any investment might be lost. There is always a risk.

"invest only what you can afford to lose"  it must be the adage for those who are using Bitcoin and the exchange services
The real fun part is when someone gets the email addresses of these Gox users and starts setting them up for some *real* fraud. Between the dollar auction concept and the possibility of slightly higher levels of entitlement of some users, this could be considered a *gold mine* for the next person with a cheap suit.

As for Sagan and DHW (his book) it is interesting to keep in mind that in the late 70's alien abduction and faith healing crap was all the rage. I think it was in the 80's when people, confronted by the evidence, started to say "screw it, I'm going to believe this no matter what" and an incredible generation of gullible opportunities came to be.

Sad. Really Sad. The fact that 26% of the population believes the sun goes around the earth is evidence that something is wrong. People trusting their money to a guy in a crap suit at Gox in Japan is another.

*sigh*

C
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
One Token to Move Anything Anywhere
March 02, 2014, 01:01:16 PM
It's perfectly possible that a government investigation would result in the seizure of Gox assets - it's already happened before.

But it's best at the moment not to pin any hope on getting anything back from Gox.
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
March 02, 2014, 12:57:04 PM
Do you know the mt support page is still working?

https://support.mtgox.com/home

I've checked it everyday but no change
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
March 02, 2014, 12:49:30 PM
I know it's very hard for many people who has money in MTgox to accept the fact that they lost all their funds.
They accepted the risk when they "invested" in bitcoin,using mtgox. Any investment might be lost. There is always a risk.

"invest only what you can afford to lose"  it must be the adage for those who are using Bitcoin and the exchange services
Activity: 91
March 02, 2014, 12:23:19 PM
For the people obsessed with conspiracy theories, especially the ones involving the US Govt, FBI or whatever. Please reconsider.  Also, please avoid posting multiple times in a row -- it's bad form.

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Read this book Carl Sagan wrote.  It teaches how important it is to be critical and how important is to be grounded in reality and avoid things like confirmation bias.  He was an amazing man and this is one of the most important books anyone who wants to take science seriously can read.  And by science I mean the approach to the world that involves critical thinking and available evidence.

All the conspiracy theories involving Gox show little evidence of being true.  Basically none.  We still don't know what happened but all signs point to incompetence, which is highly credible based on even a little familiarity with the parties involved.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003
March 02, 2014, 05:29:52 AM
its going to be very difficult to prove your holdings with the site being down. i know people probably took screen shots but who knows if that will be sufficient enough.

Bank records of wire transfers going in or coming out. 

People that used fake IDs are probably out of luck.

Yes, they will still have records from the database, but it would be useful if you can collect records of cash inputs or bitcoin transfers as well just in case.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174
Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist
March 02, 2014, 04:37:19 AM
its going to be very difficult to prove your holdings with the site being down. i know people probably took screen shots but who knows if that will be sufficient enough.

Bank records of wire transfers going in or coming out. 

People that used fake IDs are probably out of luck.
wB`
Activity: 84
March 02, 2014, 04:20:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003
March 02, 2014, 03:18:26 AM
looks like mtgox has an update on their website with a phone number to a call center opening on March 3rd...

Well should be interesting. Update on the 3rd From Gox but this time we might even get some information since a lot of people not normally around mark are there to guide him.

Who knows this update might not reek of incompetence.

Not holding breath.

This page seems to have some reasonable info on this:
http://www.internationallawoffice.com/newsletters/detail.aspx?g=1ba9679d-d118-44a0-8492-1c21c484fc03

A basic Summary:

We can't yet draw any conclusions as to their intentions as this procedure allows them to either try to trade out of trouble, or to dispose of assets in order to pay creditors.  If they attempt to keep trading, typically a supervisor will be appointed to oversee things but I personally suspect the court will appoint a trustee in this case because of the mis-management & that could be the reason behind Mark's title change.

Civil rehabilitation is characterized as a debtor-in-possession type of procedure. In most civil rehabilitation cases filed by companies, the current management of the debtor will continue to operate the business as a debtor in possession. However, the court may appoint a trustee if there has been a failure in management or disposition of the debtor, or if the court recognizes that management by a trustee is necessary for the recovery of the debtor's business.

In a typical civil rehabilitation case, the court appoints a supervisor to oversee post-petition management by the debtor in possession, as well as the development and implementation of the rehabilitation plan. This update outlines the main stages of the civil rehabilitation procedure.

Also, this section should interest most people here:
unsecured claims.
Unsecured creditors must file proof of claims by a deadline set in the commencement order, which is usually one to two months of the date of the commencement order. Unsecured claims may be subject to a pro rata reduction under the rehabilitation plan, to the extent that the debtor has insufficient funds to satisfy these claims. Generally, claims attributable to common benefits and senior claims are paid in full intermittently outside the rehabilitation plan.

I hope that people have some way of proving their holdings, or else things might get complicated.

Edit:
This site now seems to require registration to view the full article. If people want me to paste it here I can but rather than fill up one page of this thread I'll leave it with just this summary unless enough people ask me.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
March 02, 2014, 02:29:40 AM
looks like mtgox has an update on their website with a phone number to a call center opening on March 3rd...

Well should be interesting. Update on the 3rd From Gox but this time we might even get some information since a lot of people not normally around mark are there to guide him.

Who knows this update might not reek of incompetence.

Not holding breath.
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
March 02, 2014, 02:14:16 AM
Why is every thread filled with rubbish. Lol

All that is left is to throw out the rubbish (mt gox)
wB`
Activity: 84
March 02, 2014, 02:12:55 AM
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
March 02, 2014, 01:32:53 AM
All the conspiracy theories involving Gox show little evidence of being true.  Basically none.  We still don't know what happened but all signs point to incompetence, which is highly credible based on even a little familiarity with the parties involved.

Dude!  When one is doing good analysis, one is not looking for things to be true.  One is looking for evidence (ideally irrefutable) of things being false.  This allows one to strike off hypotheses which don't fit.  Sagan would be ashamed of you if he were still among the living I'm sure.

It would be handy as hell for, say, the government to have a situation where nobody even dares to think that the mic on their phone might be able to be remotely activated because that is a 'government conspiracy theory.'  The shame of it is that very many otherwise very bright people fall into this trap and remain ignorant of and unprepared for a great many things.

If one is not willing to entertain all manners of hypotheses, then by logic they will always be clueless unless the truth happens to be among the reduced set of things they already feel is fit to consider.  More often than not the truth is something which does not occur to one so it gets no attention in the process of contemplation.  This retards the analysis process and ends up getting people get blind-sided and thus run over.

In this case the null hypothesis is that the government knew all about Bitcoin and knew that it was being used to support Wikileaks and do an end-run around the control mechanisms put in place for fiat, and yet took no concrete action to deal with the issues presented by Mt. Gox.  If one thinks about it a little, that's pretty absurd.  (I know...it's 'badthink' or something to consider the government could be involved, but I could not help myself...maybe you have better self-control.)  Anyway, this is by no means evidence that the government had a hand in freezing Mt. Gox controlled BTC, but it is all the reason in the world to consider it as a viable hypothesis.

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
American1973
March 02, 2014, 12:26:17 AM
I don't always flex my governmental muscles to shut down bitcoin sites, but when I do I like to put up a Rick Astley-based troll on pastebin and hope that there aren't enough smart people like itsunderstood who will see through it.

I did lol.
Activity: 68
March 01, 2014, 11:43:30 PM
For the people obsessed with conspiracy theories, especially the ones involving the US Govt, FBI or whatever. Please reconsider.  Also, please avoid posting multiple times in a row -- it's bad form.

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Read this book Carl Sagan wrote.  It teaches how important it is to be critical and how important is to be grounded in reality and avoid things like confirmation bias.  He was an amazing man and this is one of the most important books anyone who wants to take science seriously can read.  And by science I mean the approach to the world that involves critical thinking and available evidence.

see his trying to sell his book here. All I want is good good information
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
March 01, 2014, 11:36:42 PM
I don't always flex my governmental muscles to shut down bitcoin sites, but when I do I like to put up a Rick Astley-based troll on pastebin and hope that there aren't enough smart people like itsunderstood who will see through it.
Activity: 68
March 01, 2014, 11:25:29 PM
Why is every thread filled with rubbish. Lol

Can you describe the rubbish?
well I'm sick of speculation. We need solid evidence and less about a cat no?
Pages:
Jump to: