Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 98. (Read 908613 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 24, 2014, 11:49:00 PM
and its crashing on BitStamp as well,
    Bitcoin price:
    $489.48

good time to transfer funds and wait for the bottom to buy?
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
February 24, 2014, 11:46:47 PM
Apparently the Foundation has weighed in:  http://www.businessinsider.com/reports-mtgox-halts-all-trading-2014-2
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
American1973
February 24, 2014, 11:41:33 PM
Gox's website is now offline as well, serving a blank homepage.
Confirmed at 00:27 GMT -3

holy shit...

is this really the end? or could it mean that they are restarting their system (incredible wishful thinking)?

You kiddin?  Lawyers haven't even put down their lobster bisque yet.  Hold long.
Activity: 71
February 24, 2014, 11:40:21 PM
bitcoinbuilder is now at 0.075
Activity: 71
February 24, 2014, 11:37:09 PM
Confirmed at 00:27 GMT -3

holy shit...

is this really the end? or could it mean that they are restarting their system (incredible wishful thinking)?
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
February 24, 2014, 11:29:11 PM
At this point 744,408 BTC are missing due to malleability-related theft which went unnoticed for several years.

Edit: http://www.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft

personally i don't believe that this could happen as there would be checks on the cold wallets if they really burned through that amount. That would add up to 100s of coins every single day of gox's existence. I'm not saying a large amount of funds isn't missing, I just don't believe it could amount to that much.

Also, I can't find the original source for this claim anywhere..just reposts of the claim

Really a ridiculous document.  It appears to be asking the aid of the Bitcoin community so that Mt.Gox can start fresh.

Mt.Gox is just an exchange,  one of many exchanges.  Why should the Bitcoin community care if it goes under?
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
American1973
February 24, 2014, 11:28:53 PM
744k BTC... Hmmyep.  Definitely they need better IT workers.  Oh well.
February 24, 2014, 11:26:45 PM
legendary
Activity: 889
February 24, 2014, 11:22:54 PM
http://blog.coinbase.com/post/77766809700/joint-statement-regarding-mtgox

mt gox denounced by reputable exchanges as being a bad actor while obvious gox will drag bitcoin to the grave until there is regulation bitcoin is doomed to pariahs like mt gox and fat fuck karpeles.
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
This is not good for my Chi... Yifu
February 24, 2014, 11:15:56 PM
perhaps they suspended trading as a knee-jerk reaction to the scribd "crisis" article.

cheers,
kev
legendary
Activity: 868
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
February 24, 2014, 11:03:16 PM
MT GOX plat form stop trading from 2 am (greenwich time)

just one hour ago!!!!

what happen???

no announcement issue for MTGOX website!!!
legendary
Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003
February 24, 2014, 10:48:11 PM
At this point 744,408 BTC are missing due to malleability-related theft which went unnoticed for several years.

personally i don't believe that this could happen as there would be checks on the cold wallets if they really burned through that amount. That would add up to 100s of coins every single day of gox's existence. I'm not saying a large amount of funds isn't missing, I just don't believe it could amount to that much.

Also, I can't find the original source for this claim anywhere..just reposts of the claim
February 24, 2014, 10:43:26 PM
Trading on Gox appears to have been down for about 45 minutes...
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 24, 2014, 10:33:21 PM

zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
February 24, 2014, 10:10:32 PM
I must say that today I received a EUR 10,000 withdrawal that has been pending on MtGox from Jan 5 this year. Have some other withdrawals pending, but also reinvested some money in BTC at current low prices. I think bitcoin in the longer run will survive, so if Mt Gox also survives or is taken over by a competitor I might have decent gains on my last investments. If they don't suvive then I'm not convinced that I will recover a larger percentage of my cash than of my coins. If the coins then go back to the average value on the other exchanges, it might be better to be in coins. Or am I making a mistake in my reasoning?

I think you have done the right thing.
I believe Bitcoin exchanges are un regulated– there is nothing stopping Mt gox buying bitcoins at about $170 – transfer bitcoins to bitstamp and sell for $570  and bring the money back into the mtgox . (Then repeat this process)
– Then reopen the exchange – when they have enough funds to pay every one

thats hogwash...nobody sells them btc for 170 dollars...they ( and cronies) are selling cause they know its over !
legendary
Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003
February 24, 2014, 09:20:03 PM

this article just seems to repeat what we already knew a day or so ago though. When even Coindesk start publishing (slightly) good news about gox though, that's when I sit up & listen.

Final paragraph they reference Charlie Shrem's reddit post:
http://www.coindesk.com/japan-regulators-mt-gox-intervention-unlikely/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1yre42/mt_gox_ceo_resigns_from_bitcoin_foundation/cfn38sq
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
February 24, 2014, 08:25:15 PM
Agree. Mark could also tap into the anti-Bitcoin Foundation crowd as potential customers.

hehe Smiley Mark will do everything just to dump the price and get cheap BTC Tongue

Smiley Mark Karpeless is a bad dream of Bitcoin...
Need to wake up!
Activity: 924
February 24, 2014, 08:18:50 PM
Karpeles resigning and the reset Twitter accounts is because Karpeles will announce this week that he will no longer be the CEO of MtGox. There will be a professional CEO at the head of Gox who will (try to) make MtGox again a succesfull exchange.

I have no insider info, just my guess.

Wishful thinking. I don't know what will happen but this appears unlikely to me. I can see three scenarios:

• Hard bankruptcy, remaining fiat and bitcoins are shared out in proportion after losses are deducted
  • Takeover by another company with deep coffers (not too likely, in my view, because Mt. Gox does not look very attractive)
  • Mt. Gox wriggles through and comes out solvent, perhaps barely solvent, and continues to pay out slowly (also wishful thinking, but not entirely impossible).

The loss of reputation would be difficult to reverse, so I find it hard to see any rosy future for Mt. Gox.

Agree with your points although I don't think Gox would be that unattractive. An outside investor would see a huge client base and an opportunity to turn things around.

There could be a lot of value unlocked if MtGox could regain a trustworthy image, no question. Huge client base, the brand, the contracts and the profitable operations. I hope it won't take a square full of people with bats to dethrone the fool.

Agree. Mark could also tap into the anti-Bitcoin Foundation crowd as potential customers.
Pages:
Jump to: