Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 107. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100
sapphire rx 480 nitro 4gb here is about $70 cheaper than the 8gb model.

any thoughts if i should choose the 4gb over the 8gb model?

will the 4gb suffer the same fate as the 3gb 280x on dagger algo in the near future?

All depends if you plan to resell them after, as some people like here. The 8 Go version will have a better resale value due to its great performances in games.

Good question.

I mine 475 mh so I earn  200 usd after power every 10 days.
 I got 3 reference sapphire. 470 s for about 560 which means they will be paid off in  28 days.

I could sell them for 150 each since 28 days past I would net 450 and that would be all profit.

But frankly I want 8gb cards now 470's or 480's. Since I have about 11 4gb cards and about 9 8gb cards.

I guess blending 4gb with 8 gb works

What you earn of 200 USD in 10 days is from all the rigs. So you cannot use that to say the profitability of the 3 new cards to be paid off in 28 days.
Activity: 756
Merit: 502

will the 4gb suffer the same fate as the 3gb 280x on dagger algo in the near future?

All depends if you plan to resell them after, as some people like here. The 8 Go version will have a better resale value due to its great performances in games.

Good question.

I mine 475 mh so I earn  200 usd after power every 10 days.
 I got 3 reference sapphire. 470 s for about 560 which means they will be paid off in  28 days.

I could sell them for 150 each since 28 days past I would net 450 and that would be all profit.

But frankly I want 8gb cards now 470's or 480's. Since I have about 11 4gb cards and about 9 8gb cards.

How lucky you are Sad. Prices is the USA have nothing in common with Europe's one. I was astonished when I saw that a card costing 460€ was priced 440$ in the USA Shocked.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Good question.

I mine 475 mh so I earn  200 usd after power every 10 days.
 I got 3 reference sapphire. 470 s for about 560 which means they will be paid off in  28 days.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/etc-vs-eth-1564664

ETH will get difficult because people are all jumping in, and the difficulty will grow rapidly as it moves to proof of stake.

We can get some extra life out of our rigs by switching to ETC.  

ETH hashrate has actually flattened out a bit the past week - but I suspect there's still some "ETH vs ETC" slosh going on and I don't anticipate the flat spot lasting very long.

Got the new rig up and running - usual PITA from running both AMD and NVidia graphics in the same machine ended up having to reinstall both sets of drivers once each (I do MooWrapper on the APU since it's too small to use for mining with) but got it working - and even finally dug up a copy of Genoil's latest to play on it.

Pair of 1070s running about 59 MH/s with nothing more than a 600 Mhz memory bump in Afterburner and power limit set to 90% (nvidia-smi shows the cards aren't QUITE hitting that limit anyway almost all the time), might play with the settings more once I verify stability but it's right in the ballpark I was expecting.

Nice part - I got to shut down one of my older Moo/Dnet specific Semperon machines, moved the HD7750 (low profile) card into the 3'd slot where it only blocks a LITTLE of the fan flow (pair of Gigabyte Windforces) - the #1 and #2 card clearance (they DO have one slot space between) seems to hurt the airflow MORE as the #1 card is running a couple degrees warmer than the #2. This allowed me to save a fair bit on power that was running the REST of that ancient outdated Semperon system while preserving it's primary function.

8-)

Yes, 550ish watts might seem a bit high for a 2-card 1070 system - but I'm not doing "pure mining" and never planned to do so on it, the ETH mining is more in the nature of "pay off part of the cost so I can afford to build MORE systems to do the stuff I WANT to do on them".
 Technically my MooWrapper work IS mining - via GridCoin - but it's NOT profitable nor do I think it IS possible to actually mine Gridcoin profitably. The extra income DOES cover a significant part of the electric cost for stuff I'd be doing ANYWAY though.

Oh yeah - open build, just screwed the MB into a 2' x 2' piece of plywood I use in my "home build multi-display/machine racks". Not even running an actual fan on it, plenty of random airflow as it is in this place with all the OTHER fans and the Evap cooler shoving drafts around.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Well, do you think you could make a payback period of about 200 days and still make profit off of a rig that I would setup?

Of course I'm not thinking about making a profit from rig you are making Smiley

All my investment was in cards and PSU. I bought good r9 390 and will sell them for 75% of initial price

So definitely my ROI is not 200 days

IMHO, besides a decent gaming card with lots of RAM for complex games and VR, very good cooling fans - esp those MSI Twin Frozz ones - the 390s are infact very good ETH mining cards - down side she is a bit of a power demon but easily undervolted and overclocked to above 30MHs.... resale value is very good, expect better ROI.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Well, do you think you could make a payback period of about 200 days and still make profit off of a rig that I would setup?

Of course I'm not thinking about making a profit from rig you are making Smiley

All my investment was in cards and PSU. I bought good r9 390 and will sell them for 75% of initial price

So definitely my ROI is not 200 days
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

You'll be fine in the short to mid term.  The DAG increases roughly 0.7GB per year

knowing that 3gb 280x are about 25mhs last year, these 4gb might decrease hashrate a bit more than 8gb models for a year of mining.

its 8gb then.

based on the link you provided its 2018 for the 3gb models,  but 280x already lost about 30% of its hashrate compared to about 15% loss on 8gb 390..
Activity: 615

You'll be fine in the short to mid term.  The DAG increases roughly 0.73GB per year

Source:
http://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/426/what-is-the-current-dag-size-when-do-we-expect-to-hit-gpu-limits
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

So how do you deal with the rising difficulty of mining ETH with your rigs? Do you expect there to still be a good amount of profit mining with your GPU Rigs that you've set up for a couple more years?

Couple of years?

I dont think that you have to make plan longer than a couple of months

Depends what you consider ROI. I plan to get 50 to 70% of my GPU investment back when I sell them. That means after $100 or so per card, I'm in the black.

At least that's the game I'm playing in my head!
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
So how do you deal with the rising difficulty of mining ETH with your rigs? Do you expect there to still be a good amount of profit mining with your GPU Rigs that you've set up for a couple more years?

Couple of years?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/etc-vs-eth-1564664

ETH will get difficult because people are all jumping in, and the difficulty will grow rapidly as it moves to proof of stake.

We can get some extra life out of our rigs by switching to ETC.  

Couple of years?

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
I have successfully zapped my 6 x Sapphire RX480s rig with Heliox/Eliovp's "low power" rom mods and got 29MHs per card.

My rig now 174-175MHs, from 135-136MHs .... exactly what I am looking for - more hash, less power.

I am expecting a lower power consumption too - so i want to also measure the power draws.

Too bad, I couldn't get a kill-o-watt with me today, but will bring one tomorrow and report the power and amps.

I documented the whole flashing sequence, so that can share to all.

I don't know if it will work on everybody's build but as long as 480 reference, it should be ok.

Refer to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16088056

That's a killer ! Any idea how much I could squeeze from some RX 470, since they're cheaper and more available it seems ? I'd like to diversify my machine choice by after buying a 1070 buying a new AMD.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
I have successfully zapped my 6 x Sapphire RX480s rig with Heliox/Eliovp's "low power" rom mods and got 29MHs per card.

My rig now 174-175MHs, from 135-136MHs .... exactly what I am looking for - more hash, less power.

I am expecting a lower power consumption too - so i want to also measure the power draws.

Too bad, I couldn't get a kill-o-watt with me today, but will bring one tomorrow and report the power and amps.

I documented the whole flashing sequence, so that can share to all.

I don't know if it will work on everybody's build but as long as 480 reference, it should be ok.

Refer to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16088056
I'm trying to follow that thread on the mod. Lots of hoops.  I'll start one at a time, I guess...
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
i have given up on wattman and decided to go Heliox ROM mod instead.

That is starting to sound better, and better... 

Does it work under Windows 7?

yes, he managed to get the roms working for windows and also Linux.

I have used his Nano roms and its pretty good with low power.

he also has 370 and 390 rom mods.

and the latest 480, 470 rom mods is pretty good - imagine 480 doing 31.5MHs !

how much power?   30 mh = ?

I have 11 480's and 9 470's

since I have smaller rigs  I don't want any more gear.

but my 20 cards do 470mh at the pool which is 23.5mh a card  I burn 3300 watts

so if I boost to 30mh a card I go to 600mh  vs 470mh   if watts scale  i go to

4212 watts

4212/600 = 7.02 watts a mh

3300 watts  all gear combined cpus,psu,hdd,mobos. etc

3300/470 = 7.02 watts a mh

yes, he managed to get the roms working for windows and also Linux.

Please add the step-by-step manual how did you do it for Windows in the OP on MOD

Thank you!
Jump to: