Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 109. (Read 147923 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505
Would you mind telling that which motherboard are you using to place all 4 RX 480 on it? I'd definitely like to know that how much watts PSU you're using with it and what's your room temperature as well.
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
Which chipset is on your motherboard?  I read something earlier that the Z170 motherboards cannot support more than 4 GPUs.  I'll see if I can find it and add the link to this post.

Edit:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/6-gpu-rig6-gpu-detectedonly-3-working-other-3-drivers-having-code-12-issues-1592305
Activity: 742
Guys,

I finally got 2 rx 480 cards. Before on MB BTC Pro I had 4x R9 390 cards, old drivers (15.2 or CDM), Win 7.

I took one card out and add two 480 cards (it was 8 hours ago) - so from that time I re-install all drivers to new one, I connected, disconnected etc all cards one-by-one

The summary:

- I cannot make rig running 5 cards
- couple of times I could get 4 cards running
- after several iterations my monitor works only with 1 card, though I can operate the rig through TewmViewer

Question - is only solution to re-install Windows?

If so - what is the best way to have 5 cards visible and operational?

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Posting to follow on this thread, the build looks wonderful and all and I hope I can get into this soon!
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Okay I am going to try to salvage my bad 4 card mobo biostar.  

I shorted two pcie slots thrying to jam the four cards into the large thor case from rosewill.

I grabbed some risers and will see if I can rescue this board or at least get to be a three card board.

Will post some mor eon it over the week end.

I finally stabilized the solar array with the 6 s-9's and 1 s-7 .

I had to put the miners behind a second and third router.

I now not longer drop a board in hash on any of the rigs.

This board drop was one in were the power was used but the board disappears on the miners gui and on the pool.

I have seen this happen with more then one style of miner and more then one pool.  If I take the miner from the solar array drive it back to my house and fire it up all boards show as does the hash on gui and pool.

Well back to this four card build.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

my summer power cost is 18 cents a kwatt.  well 16.7 and add 1.3 for extra ac. so 18 cents

I use 2600 watts  or 2.6 kwatts x 24 x 30  x 18 cents  that is 336 usd per month in the summer.  for winter I will drop to 166.

I am earning  about 842 before power or 500 after power for august.

Part of the reason I moved - "summer" power rate where I was at in Iowa was 15-16 cents/KWH range for 3 months of the year, depending on how much the power company was gouging for their "energy surcharge" that month.
legendary

Nope, it's not FM2+.

The -UD7 IS one of the very few motherboards around that will handle 4x dual width cards WITHOUT risers though, and was a very well reguarded board in it's time, and it WOULD be a good board for a no-riser 3 card build that leaves SPACE between dual-width boards (and is even usable for 3 cards no-risers with "2.5" width cards like some of the HIS "Ice-Q" blower model cards).
You said hashing dropped a total of 4mhs over 6 cards.

Does it mean you use the old cards like the AMD 280x?

No, the GPUs are mining both at the same time, but the other coin being mined slightly makes it slightly less efficient at mining ETH.

For example (Just making these numbers up), a GPU can mine 25 MH/s by strickly mining ETH.  It can mine 24 MH/s if it mines ETH and SIA at the same time.  The SIA that is mined while mining both can be sold to roughly cover the cost of electricity. 

You're getting slighty less ETH than you would if you only mined ETH.

Activity: 805
Merit: 250
Posting here to follow this, seems like an awesome thread!

Also, how much does the power around you cost? As the power where I am is very exspensive.

my summer power cost is 18 cents a kwatt.  well 16.7 and add 1.3 for extra ac. so 18 cents

I use 2600 watts  or 2.6 kwatts x 24 x 30  x 18 cents  that is 336 usd per month in the summer.  for winter I will drop to 166.

im dual mining on my cards and the siacoins im mining are paying almost all of my rigs power bill. might be something to look into
my hashing dropped a total of 4mhs over 6 cards. im gaining almost 60$ more a month in sia so in the long run im gaining more than losing

You said hashing dropped a total of 4mhs over 6 cards.

Does it mean you use the old cards like the AMD 280x?
legendary
Activity: 672

Also, how much does the power around you cost? As the power where I am is very exspensive.

im dual mining on my cards and the siacoins im mining are paying almost all of my rigs power bill. might be something to look into
my hashing dropped a total of 4mhs over 6 cards. im gaining almost 60$ more a month in sia so in the long run im gaining more than losing
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie

legendary
Does anyone get email updates from the webpage? 

I tried that for a while, but it was worthless *FOR ME* when I only check my email 1 or 2 times a day.

It also has the SAME issue that it takes them a LONG TIME to figure out a miner has gone down at all - that's WHY I want the individual miner charts ON ONE PAGE so I can just glance at them occasionally and SEE that a miner crashed commonly within a few minutes of it doing so, instead of waiting 2-3 HOURS a lot of the time for their web page to finally decide "yup, that miner went down".

It's less of an issue today than it was yesterday - profitability on my GTX 9xx based rigs dropped enough that I finally pulled them from Ethereum mining in favor of what I ORIGINALLY built them for - and they're actually making almost as much while doing stuff I class as "more useful".

Next step - get the bloody Trinity A10 APUs replaced with updated ones that don't get disabled FOR NO BLOODY REASON when I put a discrete GPU in the machine that's not crossfireable. A10-7870Ks have gotten pretty affordable (the 7890K is still too pricey and doesn't offer significantly better performance, the 7860K "TDP LIMITS" out way too easily due to stupid BIOS on modern motherboard FORCING it to do so way too soon).

Now if I could find a bloody FM2+ motherboard that has 3+ 16x slots (preferably with PROPER spacing, right now NO FM2+ motherboard spaces the damned slots right that I can find anywhere) AND doesn't force me to use USB for the damned mouse, I'd be happy!

legendary
Phil, any luck with that case?  I currently have 3 cards in a case that will only fit as much.  I either need to go to another open air case (DIYPC), or get something similar as what you bought below (but it was a disaster).

Any update/insight would be appreciated.

non back plating cards.
i think that was most of his problem the sapphire ref 470 cards have a thick back plate so when he spaced them with hdmi plugs it put to much on the pcie lanes and pop them.. thats what im guessing. so small to no back plating would work great in a 4 card case

Yep.

I just got busy with other stuff.  The solar array is acting up.

And in real world my kitchen Renovation finally ended. 69 days.

Had to fire the contractor. I hired two guys to move the old refrigerator to the garage and the new refrigerator to the kitchen.
I also had to buy five small white junction boxes and put them under counter to protect the wire ing of the under cabinet lights.
Activity: 672
Phil, any luck with that case?  I currently have 3 cards in a case that will only fit as much.  I either need to go to another open air case (DIYPC), or get something similar as what you bought below (but it was a disaster).

non back plating cards.
i think that was most of his problem the sapphire ref 470 cards have a thick back plate so when he spaced them with hdmi plugs it put to much on the pcie lanes and pop them.. thats what im guessing. so small to no back plating would work great in a 4 card case

legendary
Does anyone get email updates from the webpage?  I've yet to sign up, but I need to. Turns out a storm took my power out this morning.  Took me WAY TOO LONG to figure out my machines were not mining.

yeah one hour after they are down you get an email
Activity: 588
BitcoreService.com
why you not use usb riser ?

He said the quality of the USB risers are not so good.

I use all my rigs with USB or ribbon risers as the heating is a concern for my mining operation.

Im running 2x R9 390 , 1x R9 280x and 1x R9 290 without any problem, with heating or etc. all use usb 3.0 riser .
Jump to: