Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 20. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Is their any resource that explains the main contributing factors to the difficulty of a given coin?  My impression as a newbie to all of this is that it is either solely or mostly driven by the volume of miners pointed at a given coin.  For example... price of XMR goes through the roof, everybody and their brother switch their rings to mine XMR in the last 2 days and bam! difficulty rises 20% in that time period. Similar thing when ZEC came out and most people started mining it... both XMR & ETH difficulty bottomed out.  Is this the only main driving factor or are their other things to consider?

Well.. That is one factor and the last factor is reward. Every X amount of months / years, the reward halves.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Merry Christmas everyone. Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you on this thread who have been very kind, patient and helpful educating a mining newbie like me over the past 2 months. I am still not where I want to be but have learned a lot and hope to continue that and leverage it into a profitable 2017.

Here's a quick update on my never-ending battle to get 6 GPU's running on my 2nd rig... yesterday, I took another shot at strap-modding the bios of my MSI 470s.  My first attempt about a week ago to mod GPU #0 didn't work for some reason and I had to flash it back to original settings.  This time, I unplugged my orphan Nitro, rebooted, and flashed dev #1 with the modded bios.  Reboot went fine but upon checking DevMgr, found the dreaded error 43 on presumably the card i flashed. Tried running the 6xGPU mod a few times but no dice, so I re-flashed it with original bios, rebooted, plugged the Nitro back in I'm back to "normal".

What i don't get is why the exact strap-mod I used on the exact same GPUs on my other rig (same W7) doesnt wanna work on this rig... 0 for 2 now. I'm sure I am doing it right but this rig doesn't wanna take it.  The only real difference is the Mobo between the 2 systems.  Anyway, I'm at the point where it probably makes sense to strip this thing down, run the driver cleaner, then re-install the GPUs one by one, maybe flashing each as I go.

But, then I got to thinking... if I'm going to basically re-build this thing, I might as well install Windows 10, since I have heard from numerous people that this is a better OS for anything over 4 GPUs.  And, it looks like I can still get an upgrade for free so probably worth the shot.  This time I am going to try plugging the 1st GPU (and monitor) into slot #2 (x16) since starting with slot #1 last time may have been causing some of my issues. Hopefully, W10 will let me get 6 GPUs running and modded. That should get me about 40% more hash-rate on XMR vs what that rig is currently doing.

So, I got my 6th 470 for rig #2 so will probably take a crack at moving to W10 and rebuilding this thing today.  This is my plan but I wanted to ask for opinions as to whether or not this is over-kill.  Note that current status is W7, max of 5 GPUs, 2 unsuccessful attempts to strap-mod bios on 2 separate GPUs (exact ones that I have done 4x on my other rig).

1- Power down and unplug all but 1 GPU. Sole GPU will be plugged into PCIe slot #2 (x16), monitor plugged into GPU via HDMI cable.
1a- I suspect this might not work given the issues i have had with slot #2, so will plug into slot #1 initially if needed, then try slot #2 as primary again after W10 install.
2- Boot up and upgrade to Windows 10 before doing anything else
3- Load Crimson drivers from AMD site for 1 plugged in GPU
4- Test GPU in Claymore miner, probably ETH since it shows individual GPU speed, unlike XMR miner
5- Flash that GPU with bios strap-mod, overclock & under-volt, then re-test in ETH miner to ensure speed increase
6- After ensuring all is working correctly, power down, unplug GPU from slot #2 and plug in another GPU into that slot
7- Repeat all of the steps above except for #3 since the drivers will already be on the machine
8- After all steps done for all 6 GPUs, start adding GPUs 1 at a time until up to 6 (hopefully)
9- If I get the error 43 code at GPU #5, install the 6xGPU registry mod app

This is obviously going to take the better part of a full day.  The thing that could save significant time would be to skip the 1 at a time method and add GPUs incrementally after getting the first 1 to work. This would make bios flashing a bit tougher, but I am under the impression that windows should add GPU's device numbers in order, so maybe this could save some time. Meaning, get GPU#1 working after flashing bios mod on device #0, then add the 2nd GPU and flash device #1, etc, etc.

At this point, I am no planning to mess with the bios on the orphan Nitro. If I can get 6GPUs and the 5 MSI's bios modded on this rig, I will be very happy.

Anyone see anything wrong with this approach or have any suggestions?

Just wanted to update the status my move to Windows 10 on my 2nd rig, in case someone already here or who finds it in the future was grappling with the same issues as I was.

Firstly, I decided to go with the "add each card incrementally" approach instead of swapping out 1 by 1 to mod the bios then replug them all 1 by 1... and this worked, at least for the most part.

After upgrading to W10 (took a bit over an hour), the main thing I did differently from the W7 build was start with the x16 slot #2 on this mobo.  In fact, I did this even before updating windows (had only 1 card plugged into the x16 slot) and it actually worked for the first time on this rig!  So, after installing W10, just left it there and it worked fine.  From there, I just added GPUs 1 by 1, testing with Claymore ETH miner, then flashing bios, then rinse and repeat.  Was really worried before turning it on with GPUs #5 & 6 plugged in, but W10 had absolutely no issue with this whatsoever! So, I now have MSI 470 4GB Gamings in slots 1-5 and the Sapphire Nitro 470 8GB in slot #6.

The one unexpected thing I did run into was this... when copying the ROM from my newest MSI GPU (just opened &received a few days ago), I noticed that under memory type it actually showed Samsung, not Hynix as my other 8 MSI 470's showed.  The other interesting thing is that this GPU actually got about 2 Mh/s more on ETH out of the box than my other MSIs.  But, since I wasn't sure if that Samsung vs Hynix memory could affect the 1500 memory strap, I just left it un-modded, so it is running about 4 MH/s slower on ETH (over-clocked & under-volted) compared to the other MSIs on this rig. Does anyone know if this will affect the memory strap mod at all?

So... bottom line is, testing on ETH miner, I switched over to Claymore XMR 9.6 and actually getting almost exactly as expected, a bit over 4Kh/s (~700 each from the 4 modded MSI and ~600 each from the un-modded MSI and un-modded Nitro). So, very happy with this so far and maybe a bit of room to tweak for further improvement.

No, all totaled with 10 GPUs and 3 i7 K's, I am getting about 7.6 Kh/s on XMR, using about 1,260 watts total. At current rates, about a bit over $10 profit/day (not counting BurstCoin mining). This is the best it's been in the 3-4 months I've been involved in mining so hoping it lasts a while  Wink
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I was just at buysolar's house.

send him pm's with any solar questions.

Here is what I can offer.   Batteries are costly and die fast.  You need a lot of them and like a can of gasoline they are stored energy (i.e fire + explosion hazard)

Buysolar and I are in a good state (New Jersey) with good solar energy rules he is tied into the grid.  So we sell excess in the day and buy back power at night.

Some states are terrible with grid setups some are better.

Battery only makes sense if you can score batteries cheaply.  Plus place them in a place that does not burn down.

Another thing to think of is hail storms.  NJ  can go 10 years without a hail storm.  I personally have live here for 24 years  and have not seen a storm with dime sized hail.

I am sure many midwest states and central states are laughing at that.  I had a friend in Kansas that has seen hail bigger then golf balls more then 10 times in her life.  I would think that size hail would be hard on a panel.

Thank you, Phil and buysolar!

LiFePO4 batteries are not flammable and can be purchased from China relatively cheap (all we know that it means to buy from CN, but it is really good price). These lithium phosphate batteries lifetime is around 10 years.

I thought about selling excess of electricity to grid - but rates in NM are not very good.

Hail state around us is Colorado. Those guys are really bad with that!
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I was just at buysolar's house.

send him pm's with any solar questions.

Here is what I can offer.   Batteries are costly and die fast.  You need a lot of them and like a can of gasoline they are stored energy (i.e fire + explosion hazard)

Buysolar and I are in a good state (New Jersey) with good solar energy rules he is tied into the grid.  So we sell excess in the day and buy back power at night.

Some states are terrible with grid setups some are better.

Battery only makes sense if you can score batteries cheaply.  Plus place them in a place that does not burn down.

Another thing to think of is hail storms.  NJ  can go 10 years without a hail storm.  I personally have live here for 24 years  and have not seen a storm with dime sized hail.

I am sure many midwest states and central states are laughing at that.  I had a friend in Kansas that has seen hail bigger then golf balls more then 10 times in her life.  I would think that size hail would be hard on a panel.
Activity: 662
Bump for phil

Hi there.

Myself and couple of people here asked on using solar panel for mining. Usually how much will be installation of 10kWh? Is it possible to use a batteries to mine from them during night? Does it make send to do if the electricity price is ~12c?

Thank you!

Depends on the country / size...

Batteries .. no.. too expensive / no one knows how long they will work

--

With 12c / kwh.. I don´t think that it´ll make sense.

If you already own solar panels.. and pay something like 28c... than yes.
Activity: 742
Bump for phil

Hi there.

Myself and couple of people here asked on using solar panel for mining. Usually how much will be installation of 10kWh? Is it possible to use a batteries to mine from them during night? Does it make send to do if the electricity price is ~12c?

Thank you!
Activity: 672
After the ROM mod, trying to attempt any finetuning in AB 4.2 or 4.3 will crash the rig or become unstable.

For 480 case, messing with wattman is no picnic too and I could only get 33% reduction in -mV.

But using the ROM mod as it is, can already achieve 29MHs, low power - just under 1000w for 6xGPUs and considerably less heat.

Without using his low-power rom and using a different one, I have a 6 card rx480 rig doing > 29.1MH/s for each card pulling total 882w at the wall.
That is using Windows and the rom and applying -100 mV drop and it's rock solid (also Biostar motherboard).

That adds a lot of savings when you have multiple rigs!

the current SM Linux @ 6x480 @ 730watts with Heliox rom is running well and integrated with Claymore Ethman monitoring so I am happy with that.

I probably consider your approach too (Boysie's rom?) further power savings but my intention is to move away from Windows as much as possible.

No plans to dismantle this rig since its already ROIed -- but all future build will default to the 4GPU build.

Do you know any details of the mod? I have 470s (non MSI) so its hard to find a rom. So far I´ve only done the 1500er strap mod by myself but I´d like to save some power of course ;-)

honestly I havent seen 470 mods -- maybe you can start with the 480 mod thread here... the 480 thread is here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15910357

Down clock the core a little
Then download wattman set the -10
Hope everyone is making money on XMR -- all my 33 rigs are on Dwarfpool XMR.

Win 10, 2 rigs with 10x RX 480 cards total

Claymore's XMR miner works 3-5 minutes and stopped

So have to stick to ETC Sad

I had the same issue at first... getting the black screen/freeze-ups/etc after starting it a couple of times. But, once I backed off my undervolt settings a bit it was fine. Been running smoothly for close to 24 hours now and even with a bit less undervolting, the rig is still consuming about 110W less then mining ETH, so no big loss there.  Hoping that Claymore releases a new version of this soon as I suspect there is at least slight room for speed improvements with rx 400 series cards.
Is their any resource that explains the main contributing factors to the difficulty of a given coin?  My impression as a newbie to all of this is that it is either solely or mostly driven by the volume of miners pointed at a given coin.  For example... price of XMR goes through the roof, everybody and their brother switch their rings to mine XMR in the last 2 days and bam! difficulty rises 20% in that time period. Similar thing when ZEC came out and most people started mining it... both XMR & ETH difficulty bottomed out.  Is this the only main driving factor or are their other things to consider?
my thought was: because profitability is modified by price and difficulty, depending on your strategy you may want to mine what is easy to mine to hold as much coin as you can.

Sometimes price goes down, but depending on your own feeling you can expect a better price soon. In that case, it's better to continue mining even if calculator say it's not good because of the actual price.
For example Phil think ZEC will grow, so he can't compare easily profitability for zec through the usual calculators.
Same for me with Eth, I think it will grow again.

I don't know if many people would be interested by such features. For me , the 4-5 main Alts vould be enough. Of course it's not a life or death question.
In the good old bitcoin wisdom calculator you can change all data, including BTC price and it is someimes interesting too for projections.

I think you're maybe trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you "believe" in a certain coin for the future, that is fine and you should stick to it.
If you want the same balance of each alt, that too is easily done and you don't need a calculator for that.

However .... I'm already giving you the most profitable coin (factoring lots of inputs that all the calculators do not factor in).
If you're after a prediction for the future most profitable, that is something I could try to do separately like this:

This causes network difficulty swings to have exaggerated effects on the profitability model.

Agreed Hotmetal... for speculation purposes there are other/better ways to do things than using the existing profitability calculators... but, you can still leverage some of the data to get what the OP wants i think.  For instance, both WTM & CW provide estimated shares mined per hour. So, you just extrapolate that times what you think the target price of your coin will be and you can easily calculate your hourly income. Then, just subtract either your own calculated electricity cost or the one provided on either of those sites and you have your target/future profit per hour.
Do you guys know a way to put your own coins price in mining calculator (such as coinwarz or whattomine) ?

When you have a "hold" strategy, and expect a coin to rise, mining profitability would be more accurate for you if you can calculate it with the expected price instead the actual one.
But I don't know if this is possible ?

@hotmetal : maybe it's an idea for you ?

You simply can't do that easily.

It is more of you do a switching strategy   or a mine and hold strategy.

You could do ½ with hotmetal's switching program   and ½  with mine and hold.

Say 4gh always switching  and 4gh mining zec and holding

then each day at the exchange holding the zec  you can put in a sell order for ?

in my case I am 100% mine zec and hold  .  I list sale at .062 / .065 / .068

the evga 4 card board sucks  it turns off every 3 to 5 hours I only have 2 cards on it and it still happens.

Sorry about the issues with that evga mobo, Phil.  But a big thanks for reporting the problems here so that the rest of us can avoid that board in the future. I am personally locked into ASRock BTC Pro R2 for my next build since i bought 2 of them a few months back. So, really hoping I can get 6 GPUs running on that (gonna spend most of today on it) and then just repeat the process for that 2nd board.  really hoping that 1200w Rosewill PSU comes down but may consider going with 1000w and just dedicated that rig to XMR only since it sucks so much less power than ETH and even ZEC.
legendary
This causes network difficulty swings to have exaggerated effects on the profitability model.

I'm not sure using network difficulty is a good way to predict things. Need some suggestions.

you can't really do what vg54dett wants using a switching program.

you could override a coin by setting a false value to it but then your software would pick that coin to mine.

I guess you could favor a coin with false values but it is just so much easier to use you program with ½ or ⅔ or ¾ of your rigs and just use the remaining rigs on the favored coin.

you get the benefit of switching  with however many rigs you want

you get to take the risk with a favored coin as mine and hold with however many rigs you want.

I'm not sure using network difficulty is a good way to predict things. Need some suggestions.
my thought was: because profitability is modified by price and difficulty, depending on your strategy you may want to mine what is easy to mine to hold as much coin as you can.

Sometimes price goes down, but depending on your own feeling you can expect a better price soon. In that case, it's better to continue mining even if calculator say it's not good because of the actual price.
For example Phil think ZEC will grow, so he can't compare easily profitability for zec through the usual calculators.

I don't know if many people would be interested by such features. For me , the 4-5 main Alts vould be enough. Of course it's not a life or death question.
In the good old bitcoin wisdom calculator you can change all data, including BTC price and it is someimes interesting too for projections.

I think you're maybe trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you "believe" in a certain coin for the future, that is fine and you should stick to it.
If you want the same balance of each alt, that too is easily done and you don't need a calculator for that.

However .... I'm already giving you the most profitable coin (factoring lots of inputs that all the calculators do not factor in).
If you're after a prediction for the future most profitable, that is something I could try to do separately like this:

Activity: 501

legendary
Do you guys know a way to put your own coins price in mining calculator (such as coinwarz or whattomine) ?

When you have a "hold" strategy, and expect a coin to rise, mining profitability would be more accurate for you if you can calculate it with the expected price instead the actual one.

https://badmofo.github.io/ethereum-mining-calculator/

Hand adjust your hash rate until you have your current balance and then change the pricing.
It is something i can code but what would the point be? How granular would you actually want it? Just 1 coin? There's a lot to consider.

I think he is better off ½ with your program switching

and ½ simply mining the coin he thinks is lucky zec in my case.

https://badmofo.github.io/ethereum-mining-calculator/

Hand adjust your hash rate until you have your current balance and then change the pricing.
It is something i can code but what would the point be? How granular would you actually want it? Just 1 coin? There's a lot to consider.
legendary

You simply can't do that easily.

It is more of you do a switching strategy   or a mine and hold strategy.

You could do ½ with hotmetal's switching program   and ½  with mine and hold.

Say 4gh always switching  and 4gh mining zec and holding

then each day at the exchange holding the zec  you can put in a sell order for ?

in my case I am 100% mine zec and hold  .  I list sale at .062 / .065 / .068

the evga 4 card board sucks  it turns off every 3 to 5 hours I only have 2 cards on it and it still happens.

Activity: 501

Pages:
Jump to: