Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 78. (Read 147923 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I will re-install win 10 one last time and try the 6 card one rig ... if it fails it'll be 3 GPU per MOBO.

Tired of loosing hours of mining and time.

I found that the you have to use the usb risers that are powered in the back of the usb riser board for the 12x pcie slots on the motherboard instead of the flex cables.  I love the flex cables, but they often only work on the 1x pcie slots.  See if this works for you and let me know.

Thanks !!!

I will try that. I have USB riser, but I was using the flex cable for the 12x 16x slot.

Appreciated info

EDIT: what is very strange is whatever card is at position GPU 1, it always the one who cannot create the DAG (Open CL error 36) or just doesn't hash (0 MH) or just hang after 1-2 hours. I got trouble with GPU2 and GPU5, but I can see that it's not the same card at the same position all the time since cards crashes and window re-install the driver automaticly or whatever he do it seems to shuffle the cards.

If I run 4 cards, it is just more stable (2 days). I tried 2 MOBO (H81 PRO BTC) with the same result pretty much. I managed to get all 6 cars running 2 times, 10 mins and 2 hours with with only bootstrap Bios updates. I don't play with wattman, it is a waste of time at the moment, everything reset all the time. I red some info in another thread ... I will try what he said ... plug one card, reset CMOS, plug the rest (and some driver manipulation). I might just re-install Win 10 first since i have reinstalled 9.2 and 10.1 like freaking 20 times.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I will try one of my smaller rigs and see how it goes. We'll likely get some ETH difficulty relief for a while, since a lot of people will migrate away.

Where do you plan to mine? Is there a good windows GPU app you can recommend?  I read that Jaxx wallet will add support for zcash soon after release.

I plan on putting 1 6 gpu rig towards ZCASH.  I do not have a wallet yet, but do use Jaxx and hope that they get it added before tomorrow.  Here is the Pool that I will be using:

FlyPool ZCash Mining Pool by Ethermine! Mine ZEC with the Best! Overview & nheqminer
https://youtu.be/ztCw8X-6Kug
Published on Oct 25, 2016
ETHERMINE IS IN!! ZCash.FlyPool.org Mining Pool by the owners of Ethermine.org and Etherpool.org! Bringing the best of their ETH and ETC mining pools to ZEC!! Mine on FlyPool today with nheqminer - Soon with GPU Support! Great Layout, Great Payout, Great Inside and Out! Check it out and Test it out @ https://www.zcash.flypool.org

Anyone else going to try ZCASH?

I think whole crowd will try ZCash (including myself)
Activity: 672
I will try one of my smaller rigs and see how it goes. We'll likely get some ETH difficulty relief for a while, since a lot of people will migrate away.

Where do you plan to mine? Is there a good windows GPU app you can recommend?  I read that Jaxx wallet will add support for zcash soon after release.

I plan on putting 1 6 gpu rig towards ZCASH.  I do not have a wallet yet, but do use Jaxx and hope that they get it added before tomorrow.  Here is the Pool that I will be using:

FlyPool ZCash Mining Pool by Ethermine! Mine ZEC with the Best! Overview & nheqminer
ETHERMINE IS IN!! ZCash.FlyPool.org Mining Pool by the owners of Ethermine.org and Etherpool.org! Bringing the best of their ETH and ETC mining pools to ZEC!! Mine on FlyPool today with nheqminer - Soon with GPU Support! Great Layout, Great Payout, Great Inside and Out! Check it out and Test it out @ https://www.zcash.flypool.org

I will be!!! And I'll be at the same pool
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
I will re-install win 10 one last time and try the 6 card one rig ... if it fails it'll be 3 GPU per MOBO.

I found that the you have to use the usb risers that are powered in the back of the usb riser board for the 12x pcie slots on the motherboard instead of the flex cables.  I love the flex cables, but they often only work on the 1x pcie slots.  See if this works for you and let me know.

legendary

legendary
Mine for a Bit

Activity: 615

legendary
Mine for a Bit
What are your thoughts on mining ZCASH? 

Do you plan to divert hashing from ETH to ZCASH?

If so, what % of your ETH hashing do you plan on diverting?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
I bought as MSI Gaming 470.  It runs rather cool, about 57o, or so, but what can I tweak to keep the fan running all the time?  It toggles itself to be on for 20 seconds or so, and then turns off for another 10 to 15 seconds.  I just want it on 100% of the time.  I've tried various settings, but it still toggles on and off.

Gaby, that is weird about your hard drive.... These rigs never cease to amaze me...
try wattman set temp to 50_50

also set fans like 900-1200

This did not work.  The temperature crept up and was running 100% fan after a few hours to try and reach 50o, which it never could.  I can try more temps, but so far, I'm not a fan at all of this card. 

I also grabbed another 480 version this weekend on newegg, that was on sale with rebate. That one gets delivered tomorrow, hopefully it behaves better.

if you use Claymore miner, you can easily do this with -fanmax and -fanmin switches.
I bought as MSI Gaming 470.  It runs rather cool, about 57o, or so, but what can I tweak to keep the fan running all the time?  It toggles itself to be on for 20 seconds or so, and then turns off for another 10 to 15 seconds.  I just want it on 100% of the time.  I've tried various settings, but it still toggles on and off.

Gaby, that is weird about your hard drive.... These rigs never cease to amaze me...

This did not work.  The temperature crept up and was running 100% fan after a few hours to try and reach 50o, which it never could.  I can try more temps, but so far, I'm not a fan at all of this card. 

I also grabbed another 480 version this weekend on newegg, that was on sale with rebate. That one gets delivered tomorrow, hopefully it behaves better.
legendary
Holy Fudge,

Got my 2 replacement (one today and one yesturday).

Plug my new MSI yesturday ... tweak the Bios ... Start mining and it crashed after 1 hour ... restart the process did some tweak and crashes after 8 hours. I managed to get 40 hours uptime with 4 cards.

Now... I lost the control again. I'm doing clean driver un-install and re-install and i'm getting Code 43 on a card now.

I start mining process and I can see with memory the process use if it's fine or not. If i don't get to 300megs it's a no go ... Most of time now, the process just hang and that card got a Code 43 when I reboot.

This is impressive, hard to believe it's that hard to run 6 freaking GPU without troubles.

I got my Asus replacement, I'm starting to believe is it not a GPU issue but my MOBO.

I will do futher testing. I got another H81 PRO BTC. I will try it if it doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: I think i'm gonna have to re-install win10 again, I cannot remove the driver even with the cleanup exe from AMD. Win 10 re-install the latest driver after the cleanup and even if I manually remove the device and select delete the driver. This is quite Windows ;-)

Tried Motherboard B, had troubles ... switched back the PCI-e option in bios from GEN 1 to Auto. Boom 6 cards...

Let's hope it's not luck !
legendary
Holy Fudge,

Got my 2 replacement (one today and one yesturday).

Plug my new MSI yesturday ... tweak the Bios ... Start mining and it crashed after 1 hour ... restart the process did some tweak and crashes after 8 hours. I managed to get 40 hours uptime with 4 cards.

Now... I lost the control again. I'm doing clean driver un-install and re-install and i'm getting Code 43 on a card now.

I start mining process and I can see with memory the process use if it's fine or not. If i don't get to 300megs it's a no go ... Most of time now, the process just hang and that card got a Code 43 when I reboot.

This is impressive, hard to believe it's that hard to run 6 freaking GPU without troubles.

I got my Asus replacement, I'm starting to believe is it not a GPU issue but my MOBO.

I will do futher testing. I got another H81 PRO BTC. I will try it if it doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: I think i'm gonna have to re-install win10 again, I cannot remove the driver even with the cleanup exe from AMD. Win 10 re-install the latest driver after the cleanup and even if I manually remove the device and select delete the driver. This is quite Windows ;-)
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Thanks for the feedback so far on this issue... indeed, this Mobo has no on-board graphics so nothing to try to tweak on that end.  I posted on the ASRock forums yesterday about this too but haven't got anything promising from there as of yet... so, still interested in any recommendations as for what to try.  I have another USB riser coming in a few days so will try that but I have a feeling it is something more complex than that, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

On another note, I wanted to share an additional issue I encountered with my rig over the last day or so... yesterday afternoon, I decided to add an old un-used 3TB internal HDD to my mining rig to add to my Burst-coin mining power. This thing had been laying around for a few years but installed fine with no issues. Shortly after installing it, I started playing with the power settings on my GPUs as I was pretty confident I still had some room to cut wattage and maybe increase HR on a couple of them.  I tried inching down/up a little at a time but nothing was stable... even in places where I was 90% sure I had some decent room to tweak. After several hours of this I got frustrated and just set everything back to what I had been stable for 24-48 hours at, thinking it would run fine overnight.  Unfortunately, when I checked my rig this morning, it had been offline since about 20 minutes after I went to bed the night before. I was headed to work so I just eliminated the voltage offset adjustments and set the overclocks lower than usual.  But, sure enough, it only ran less than an hour before crashing again.  When I got home for lunch, I looked at the Clyamore log for the morning and though I don't understand everything in there, I did not see anything that led me to beleive and 1 GPU was causing an issue. Usually, when 1 of my GPUs crashes my system, it will just stop mining while the other 3 continue, meaning i will usually see the HR for it reflected as 0.00 in Claymore. I did not see this in the logs so it got me wondering.

Since nothing else had changed on my system other than installing the 3TB HDD. I decided to unplug it and try again.  Sure enough (knock on wood), I have been up and running for almost 5 hours straight since then... not quite back up to where I was at before but somewhere in between that and flat settings. So, it seems apparent that the HDD was causing the crashes... not sure why... maybe it's just a bad drive from the start or sitting around for 3+ years caused some issue. But it seems strange to me that my system recognized it, formatted it.. I even created new folders on it. 

Anyway, yet another lesson learned on my part. I think i will just stick with adding external HDDs to this system. I already have one 5TB drive on it with no issues so will probably add a few more. They are easier to install, don't draw much from my PSU (which I will need if I can ever get that 5th GPU working) and they are inexplicably cheaper than the internal SATA drives.
Activity: 672
Gaby, thanks for the info on the wifi.  I'll prolly go for it, and I'll report how it goes.

As far as the 5 cards.... I had problems, with a Z97X board, until I disabled the onboard graphics (In the CPU),  but from what I remember, the X99 does not have onboard GPU (if it does, try disabling it).  Not sure what to recommend.

I know others have had luck with Linux and 5+ GPUs, but it sounds like you're not even getting past post (not an OS issue).

I'll wait till someone who is more experienced can further chime in.  I was thinking about getting an X99 setup, but based off of how this turns out, I may not.... Sad
Hello everyone... I have what is probably a really stupid question but here goes anyway lol...

I just received the 2 Sapphire Nitro+ RX470 8GB today and getting ready to try 1 out in the last slot of my rig already running 4 MSI 470 4GBs.  My question has to do with the drivers... am I correct that I should NOT need to update/install drivers to use a different branding 470, since they are both AMD/Radeon?  I already have the latest Crimson 16.9.2 package and its working fine on my MSI cards, so don't wanna mess with the drivers unless absolutely necessary to get the Sapphire card up and running.

I assume that I will have to install whatever the Sapphire equivalent to MSI's Afterburner is though in order to be able to tweak the clock speeds, etc... is that correct?

You can mix and match different vendors, and 4xx cards. You can run into issues mixing 3xx and 4xx., I've heard.

OK... so, I attempting to add this 5th GPU (Nitro 470 8GB) to my rig last night and it simply did not work. I tried a variety of different cables and connectors... the one exception being the 1x to 16x USB powered extender/riser because I don't have any extra of those at this time.

Here's the scenario... my other 4 GPU's (MSI 470 4GB) had been running stable for close to 2 days. So, yesterday, I power down, unplug everything, and hook up the Nitro. Note that the molex & 8-pin PCIe power hooked up to this card should not be the problem because they are using the 2nd connector on the same cables that are hooked up to my 4th MSI 470.

Everything looks good but when I turn the power back on, I cannot even get the machine to boot up.  When I power on, everything starts spinning and lighting up as usual, including the new Nitro (fans spinning and lights on). However, after a few seconds (before even the mobo bios options hit the screen), it stops and restarts itself. It does this in a non-stop loop until I power it off. I tried multiple times (changing connectors, etc) but got the exact same thing every time.

I'm assuming many of you have probably seen or heard of this behavior before, so I would be looking for some opinions on likely causes.  I am already going to order another 1-2 powered risers to make sure that is not the issue, but aside from that, is there anything else to try/check to trouble-shoot this?  I have a really bad feeling that it could be that this is just one of those Mobos (ASRock x99 Extreme 4) that just won't work with more than 4 GPU's.

One final bit of info... this PCIe slot was the one that I had previously tried with 1 of my MSI's but was only getting the dreaded 4 Mh/s.  I had not tried another card in that slot until last night. Not sure that could be related to this non-booting issue, but thought I would mention it just in case.

edit1:  forgot to mention that once I unplugged the Nitro, by rig booted up fine and is back to normal.
Does anyone connect their rigs to the internet via wifi?  Is this practical?  I need to relocate one of my rigs to another spot in my house and I don't have an ethernet cable handy.  FWIW... it would be very close to a wireless router.

Hey Lone... finally a question I can contribute a decent answer to lol   Wink

So, with my rig, I initially intended to plug it right into my wireless router, which is in my garage. However, after I got it up and running, my system would not recognize the connection. I tried 3 different Cat5 cables that I knew worked but to no avail. Luckily, I had an old USB Wi-Fi stick that I used to use in a since died PC.  Once I plugged that in, I connected to the internet right away and have not gone back to re-diagnose why I couldn't get my hard-wired connection working because my mining seems to be inline with that others are getting.

Case in point... after applying the strapping mod to all 4 of my RX470 GPUs, I am getting pretty much right at the 28 Mh/s per card that others who have modded similar cards in this manner.  I have also been able to mine XMR through MinerGate and BURST on my HDDs at what appear to be average or normal rates. So, based on this, it seems that there is essentially no difference between hard-wire connection and wi-fi.  Granted, my rig is literally 2 feet from my router, but I think this would be the case for you as well, so I would certainly think it would work just as well.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

wish I had a dollar for every time I skipped a word or two. Grin

I would be rich !  Grin

I am thinking at least two or three times a day for 50 years.  Those are just the ones I noticed.
Pages:
Jump to: