Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 80. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
not sure how much longer i can hang with these difficulty numbers rising like this...
went from $750ish to $580ish a month.....
Activity: 615
Hello everyone... I have what is probably a really stupid question but here goes anyway lol...

I just received the 2 Sapphire Nitro+ RX470 8GB today and getting ready to try 1 out in the last slot of my rig already running 4 MSI 470 4GBs.  My question has to do with the drivers... am I correct that I should NOT need to update/install drivers to use a different branding 470, since they are both AMD/Radeon?  I already have the latest Crimson 16.9.2 package and its working fine on my MSI cards, so don't wanna mess with the drivers unless absolutely necessary to get the Sapphire card up and running.

I assume that I will have to install whatever the Sapphire equivalent to MSI's Afterburner is though in order to be able to tweak the clock speeds, etc... is that correct?

You can mix and match different vendors, and 4xx cards. You can run into issues mixing 3xx and 4xx., I've heard.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Hello everyone... I have what is probably a really stupid question but here goes anyway lol...

I just received the 2 Sapphire Nitro+ RX470 8GB today and getting ready to try 1 out in the last slot of my rig already running 4 MSI 470 4GBs.  My question has to do with the drivers... am I correct that I should NOT need to update/install drivers to use a different branding 470, since they are both AMD/Radeon?  I already have the latest Crimson 16.9.2 package and its working fine on my MSI cards, so don't wanna mess with the drivers unless absolutely necessary to get the Sapphire card up and running.

I assume that I will have to install whatever the Sapphire equivalent to MSI's Afterburner is though in order to be able to tweak the clock speeds, etc... is that correct?
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
Just a heads up, further testing pointed to the Asus card and not the Power Color.

That card cost me another one since i had to do so much manipulation. I was dead tired yesterday and did a stupid mistake.

Hope the RMAs goes well.

I lost so much time with that Asus ...

Sorry to read this.

Yeah I never like asus or gigabyte gpus.

Powercolor
Msi
Sapphire
Xfx

Pretty good luck

Asus's RMA not yet approved but the other card has been approved.

Can't wait to get the replacement ! Tongue

EDIT: Couldn't get a MSI for Asus as it is not refundable ... gonna have to life with it... I red somewhere here that hey use a different chip to control power on the card. Someone managed to get around 26 MH with it ... it might just order an MSI and sell the new card locally.

EDIT2

Does anyone using Rx470 strix cards? I need some help to get lower power comsuption on my rig. I have 5 Asus Strix rx470 4gb cards and when I tested every single card, every card worked fine with settings: 1100/1850 and -40mV (26 mhs). But when I put all 5 gpus in rig and start mining cards demand valtage at least + 54mV. Gpus temperatures are also high because of this problem. I using 1500 memory straps and MSI AB for overclocking. If anyone have Idea how to decrease power comsuption on my Asus gpus please let me know.

The Asus cards use a custom VRM chip, which I've posted about earlier in this thread.  The only work-around I've found is reducing VDDCI along with VDDC.
I'm using the 1425Mhz strap at 1030/1875 and get a bit over 26Mh/s.

EDIT: I still believe my card was defect ... throwing invalid share at stock freq, stock Bios it is not normal.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Sidehack has a product that would use pcie jacks to power risers.

So when I get mine I will see if they work well with my thousand watt version.
Just wanted to mention that NewEgg has the Rosewill Quark Series 1200W Platinum PSU on special for just $120 after rebate (newegg credit i think). I have been using the 1KW model of this for about a month and found it to be excellent quality, performance and very low fan noise. This seems like a great PSU for a 6-card build, so I will be picking one up before this sale ends. Thought that others on this thread might be interested in this deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182354&cm_re=1200w_power_supply-_-17-182-354-_-Product

it has 4 pcie jacks.  so you will need splitters to run 6 cards.

it is a quality psu for four cards  ton of overhead and 120 is a solid price after rebate

True, only 4 jacks but I think it includes 4 PCIe cables that each have 2 connectors... so a total of 8 possible PCIe connections... same as the 1000W version, correct?

I think the potential problem for me though is again going to be the lack of enough molex cables, since this one also only appears to come with 1 3-port cable and 1 2-port cable... and one has to be plugged into the Mopo.  I guess the only way around this is to go with a build with the ribbon type risers vs powered USB.  I know some people don't seem to like those but it seems like Aries used them very successfully on his MSI 470 rig, so maybe I will give that a shot. Seems like a much cleaner (and probably cheaper) build that way if I can get it to work.
legendary
Just wanted to mention that NewEgg has the Rosewill Quark Series 1200W Platinum PSU on special for just $120 after rebate (newegg credit i think). I have been using the 1KW model of this for about a month and found it to be excellent quality, performance and very low fan noise. This seems like a great PSU for a 6-card build, so I will be picking one up before this sale ends. Thought that others on this thread might be interested in this deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182354&cm_re=1200w_power_supply-_-17-182-354-_-Product

it has 4 pcie jacks.  so you will need splitters to run 6 cards.

it is a quality psu for four cards  ton of overhead and 120 is a solid price after rebate

BIG shout-out to Aries for providing the detailed instructions for maximizing effectiveness of the MSI 470s!

I just modded 1 of my 4 GPUs based on your instructions and amazingly, am now getting a whopping 28.4 Mh/s from it, at the same power draw from when it was getting 20.7!  You were spot on on your speed predictions at each step... i got to 23.5 after the 1500 strapping, then 28.4 after setting 2000 & 1150 in afterburner! I actually forgot to go in and reset my previous WattTool adjustments, so my custom negative power offsets per each card were still in place when I made these mods, but it still worked just perfectly!

It was so great to launch Claymore and see that 28.4 number pop up for the modded GPU, so thanks again for these great tips!  Probably should be a sticky topic somewhere since that's a HUGE gain from out of the box!

2 quick questions regarding modding my other 3 GPUs...

1- How long should I wait to make sure the modded GPU is stable?  If it was going to brick, would it have done it immediately? Or, is there a recommended waiting time to make sure of stability before flashing the other GPUs?

2- In the strapping process, I made a copy of the card's bios then modded it as instructed and saved as a new file to flash with.  My question is, can I skip this part of the process for the other 3 and just continue to use the modded bios copy from the original modded card?  Basically I am asking if the settings in the bios will be exactly the same for every GPU?  They are all the exact same model so I am assuming yes, but want to make sure before proceeding.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the Shout!  One warning:  Do Not Use the same Bios for each gpu.  You have to go through the whole process again with each of the gpu's.  They have different characteristics and capabilities.  

As for how long to wait.  With these I just let them run for about 10 min each.  If they are holding 28.4, I go onto the next gpu.

Thanks Again, I appreciate it. 

Thanks for the extra tips... I went ahead and modded GPU #2 shortly after and it ran perfectly at 28.4 for about an hour.  #3 appeared ok at first but but crashed after about 5 minutes, so I reduced the amount of power offset in WattTool by a couple and it was working fine for 30+ minutes so I went to #4.  This one caused me some problems though... crashed my system about 2-3 minutes after starting Claymore. So, like #3, made the power offset # lower. Ran for 5 minutes, crashed my system. It was getting late and I didn't want the rig offline overnight, so I ended up reducing the power offset of all 4 cards by bit as well as going to 1950, 1950, 1900 & 1850 on the clock speeds and Core clock up to 1175 on the latter 2. This ended up cutting my total HR from 113 to 108 and not as power efficient but it has now been running steady for 9 straight hours, so I'm happy with that.  I expect that if I spend a few more hours fine tuning each card, I can improve somewhat, but even as it stands, it's still a very nice 30% bump in HR from where I was at 2 days ago!

There are 2 things that really frustrate me in all of this... first, the fact that WattMan/Afterburner settings are reset after every reboot. Very annoying and time-consuming. Is there any way to fix this?

In addition, I am going crazy over tracking which card is which, since all 4 are identical models. Luckily I made some notes a few days ago that compare what device #'s they show up as in AfterBurner and Claymore, but those are different from the true system device #s and with new tools like GPU-Z, etc., it seems like a huge pain to try to determine which card is which. Does anyone have trick for tracking this effectively?

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
I find that Jaxx wallet us pretty similar to Electrum.

Thank you , it seems to be a good choice !

I use Coinbase and Jaxx.

I started using EXODUS wallet recently.... I think we have a winner.
Activity: 501
I'm using my 2000w server psu to power the 12 PCIe connectors in my two 6gpu rigs (each Rx470 has 1 PCIe plug on the top)

But there is not all the power took from the strong server psu, a big part of the power is took from the weaker computer psu powering the motherboard.

Do you know if there is a way to get more power from PCIe connectors and less from the motherboard/powered risers ?
Activity: 501

Thank you , it seems to be a good choice !
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
BIG shout-out to Aries for providing the detailed instructions for maximizing effectiveness of the MSI 470s!

I just modded 1 of my 4 GPUs based on your instructions and amazingly, am now getting a whopping 28.4 Mh/s from it, at the same power draw from when it was getting 20.7!  You were spot on on your speed predictions at each step... i got to 23.5 after the 1500 strapping, then 28.4 after setting 2000 & 1150 in afterburner! I actually forgot to go in and reset my previous WattTool adjustments, so my custom negative power offsets per each card were still in place when I made these mods, but it still worked just perfectly!

It was so great to launch Claymore and see that 28.4 number pop up for the modded GPU, so thanks again for these great tips!  Probably should be a sticky topic somewhere since that's a HUGE gain from out of the box!

1- How long should I wait to make sure the modded GPU is stable?  If it was going to brick, would it have done it immediately? Or, is there a recommended waiting time to make sure of stability before flashing the other GPUs?

2- In the strapping process, I made a copy of the card's bios then modded it as instructed and saved as a new file to flash with.  My question is, can I skip this part of the process for the other 3 and just continue to use the modded bios copy from the original modded card?  Basically I am asking if the settings in the bios will be exactly the same for every GPU?  They are all the exact same model so I am assuming yes, but want to make sure before proceeding.

Thanks again!

470 Sapphire Nitros?

Here are the links in Youtube for the Sapphire Nitros:

Low Energy 29+ RX480 8G Sapphire Nitro+ Ethereum Mh/s + Downvolt Bios Mod Jukebox AMD(Hynix)
https://youtu.be/rqJIR4FirjM

Low Energy RX470 4G 28+ Mh/s Sapphire Nitro+ OC HYNIX VRAM Boysie's Bios Mod Ethereum Mining(Hynix)
https://youtu.be/Z3yYYIzzTM8

Elpida RX470 4G Sapphire Nitro+ Bios Rom Mod Flash Ethereum Mining (ELPIDA-New)
https://youtu.be/ajQQQ2JQicE

30-31 MH/s RX480 8G AMD Sapphire Nitro+ Bios Mod Ethereum Mining XFX MSI Monero
https://youtu.be/Mwb67g4skGM

Make sure you move the switch to the right position at the right time in the process.

Next:

I use 1945 Memory Clock and 1130 Core Clock for the Sapphire Nitro 470 which will get you 27.3Mhs.
I use 2080 Memory Clock and 1125 Core Clock for the Sapphire Nitro 480 which will get you 29.2Mhs.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit

I just modded 1 of my 4 GPUs based on your instructions and amazingly, am now getting a whopping 28.4 Mh/s from it, at the same power draw from when it was getting 20.7!  You were spot on on your speed predictions at each step... i got to 23.5 after the 1500 strapping, then 28.4 after setting 2000 & 1150 in afterburner! I actually forgot to go in and reset my previous WattTool adjustments, so my custom negative power offsets per each card were still in place when I made these mods, but it still worked just perfectly!

It was so great to launch Claymore and see that 28.4 number pop up for the modded GPU, so thanks again for these great tips!  Probably should be a sticky topic somewhere since that's a HUGE gain from out of the box!

1- How long should I wait to make sure the modded GPU is stable?  If it was going to brick, would it have done it immediately? Or, is there a recommended waiting time to make sure of stability before flashing the other GPUs?

2- In the strapping process, I made a copy of the card's bios then modded it as instructed and saved as a new file to flash with.  My question is, can I skip this part of the process for the other 3 and just continue to use the modded bios copy from the original modded card?  Basically I am asking if the settings in the bios will be exactly the same for every GPU?  They are all the exact same model so I am assuming yes, but want to make sure before proceeding.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the Shout!  One warning:  Do Not Use the same Bios for each gpu.  You have to go through the whole process again with each of the gpu's.  They have different characteristics and capabilities.  

As for how long to wait.  With these I just let them run for about 10 min each.  If they are holding 28.4, I go onto the next gpu.

Thanks Again, I appreciate it. 
Nope... MSI 470 4GB  Wink   But i had posted earlier that I have 2 470 Sapphire Nitro 8GB on the way from NewEgg.  Now after seeing these results, that may have been a bad purchase since they were $30 more than the MSIs I am using (although 8GB vs 4GB).  I honestly thought I would only be able to get my MSIs up to ~25 Mh/s, which is why I wanted to try the Nitros, which have a much higher effective memory clock (8000 vs 6700).  Call me crazy but even with that factor in their favor, I have a hard time believing they will be able achieve 32+ Mh/s after modding (which is what they would need to do to offset the 15% higher cost vs the MSIs) but who knows... several users are indicating that these are much more like a 480 but with less power draw.  Bottom line, I will open 1 and install it in my 5th slot and see what it will do. If it's not notably better than the MSI, i will probably just return the 2nd one.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

I just modded 1 of my 4 GPUs based on your instructions and amazingly, am now getting a whopping 28.4 Mh/s from it, at the same power draw from when it was getting 20.7!  You were spot on on your speed predictions at each step... i got to 23.5 after the 1500 strapping, then 28.4 after setting 2000 & 1150 in afterburner! I actually forgot to go in and reset my previous WattTool adjustments, so my custom negative power offsets per each card were still in place when I made these mods, but it still worked just perfectly!

It was so great to launch Claymore and see that 28.4 number pop up for the modded GPU, so thanks again for these great tips!  Probably should be a sticky topic somewhere since that's a HUGE gain from out of the box!

1- How long should I wait to make sure the modded GPU is stable?  If it was going to brick, would it have done it immediately? Or, is there a recommended waiting time to make sure of stability before flashing the other GPUs?

2- In the strapping process, I made a copy of the card's bios then modded it as instructed and saved as a new file to flash with.  My question is, can I skip this part of the process for the other 3 and just continue to use the modded bios copy from the original modded card?  Basically I am asking if the settings in the bios will be exactly the same for every GPU?  They are all the exact same model so I am assuming yes, but want to make sure before proceeding.

Thanks again!

470 Sapphire Nitros?

Thanks again!
legendary
Just a heads up, further testing pointed to the Asus card and not the Power Color.

That card cost me another one since i had to do so much manipulation. I was dead tired yesterday and did a stupid mistake.

Hope the RMAs goes well.

Sorry to read this.

Yeah I never like asus or gigabyte gpus.

Powercolor
Msi
Sapphire
Xfx

Pretty good luck
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

Hope the RMAs goes well.

Activity: 615
Pages:
Jump to: