Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 82. (Read 147923 times)

Activity: 615
Merit: 500
I, personally, had to move the power from -15% back to 0% after modding my memory timings. 

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Yes, those are truly amazing results Aries! Although I have to admit, it's a bit frustrating for me using the exact same GPUs and only currently getting 20.7 vs your 28.3 at essentially the same wattage.  I did about 2-3 hours of experimenting yesterday after finally funding a place to download WattTool.  I do really like that app as it's easier to change parameters vs AMD WattMan.

The first thing I tried was your recommended -15 setting. Unfortunately, this ended up crashing my system, but I figure it was probably because I tried implementing that reduction on top of my previous WattMan tweaks of lowering the GPU mV in states 6 & 7.  Once all Wattman settings were reset after reboot, the -15 took fine and put me at about 600W vs the 625 i was at with the state 6 & 7 reductions in place.  I took the further step of micro adjusting this setting in WattTool, depending on the specific card's power hungriness. So, instead of -15 across the board, I am now at something like -18, -13, -14, -17... resulting in about another 10W savings.

I didn't attempt the 1500 strapping yet as I was a bit frustrated after 2-3 hours of downtime, but will take a crack at it after my HDD is finished plotting 2TB BurstCoin, which will probably be tomorrow.  Plus, I did have a couple questions before moving to that so...

1- Does the order matter? Meaning, can I strap-mod my GPUs with the -15 power tweak already applied in WattTool? Or, do I need to set that back to zero before attempting?

2- Regarding the strapping method you used... was it the one in this video by Lee at IMineBlocks?  Just want to make sure since we have the exact same GPUs, I would like to use the same method since it worked great for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP_zSP2H6ho

3- Finally, what additional steps did you take to get your latest results?  I think your last update showed you getting around 23 Mh/s, so this increase to 28+ is amazing.  Seems like you are using a bit more power but getting a huge bump in HR seems well worth it!

How are you measuring the wattage of each card: GPUz or a watt-man?  GPUz only measures and reports the power of the GPU of a card.  That figure does not include the memory, VRMs, and other board components found on each card.

Don't get me wrong, that is an absolutely awesome rig, and a great efficiency number, but we need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

*EDIT* Yes, I reread your calculations.  That is very remarkable.  Are you applying a voltage offset to the GPU and/or memory, too?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I just figure out how to get more out of my system!!!   Grin

Overview:

-total system hashing  = 169.6mh
-each gpu hashing  = 28.3mh
-ave card wattage = 67W
-total system Watts = 831W (At the Wall)
-total system Amps = 6.91A (At the Wall)
Efficiency per Card = W/Mhs = 67/28.3 =2.37 (Less is better)
Efficiency per system = W/Mhs = 831/169.6 = 4.90 (Less is better)

Those are truly solid numbers.

Best I have ever seen.
Activity: 756
Merit: 502

Overview:

-ave card wattage = 67W

You're setup is a killer ! Me I get around 29 MH/s perd card for an average wattage of 110W. Comparing it to yours, it means I can get a lot farther.
Activity: 672

Overview:

-ave card wattage = 67W

what setttings are you running?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit

Overview:

-ave card wattage = 67W

legendary
Mine for a Bit
I wish I had 240v. If only we didn't need that pesky dryer....

I suppose I could convert two 120s into a 240 circuit in my basement.  Has anyone done so? Just seems like a lot of hassle.

You cannot do that. In order to get 240 from 120 V, you need a transformer to do that. That will consumes energy as well.

You can do it at the panel.  https://youtu.be/XMgwZDtR4tw

I have many 220VAC outlets in the basement that I ran when I had about 14 S7s running in the basement.
Activity: 310
Merit: 250

I suppose I could convert two 120s into a 240 circuit in my basement.  Has anyone done so? Just seems like a lot of hassle.

You cannot do that. In order to get 240 from 120 V, you need a transformer to do that. That will consumes energy as well.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

That would be fairly easy to do if you understand electricity but change out the receptacle to a 240v rated receptacle.

You need to make positive that the receptacle you plan on switching over to 240 has a DIRECT LINE to the circuit breaker and is not daisy chained to other receptacles. All you need is room in the panel for a 240v 2 pole dual ganged breaker.

Make sure to wrap the white wire in electrical tape as required by electrical code, here is a simple pic I drew

http://i67.tinypic.com/2wrnqm8.jpg

legendary

It is possible to do,so. A lot depends what is in the circuit box.

I did two in my house.  But they were dedicated lines. In the first place.

I did a show n tell  but it will take a day to find the thread.

I can provide two thirty amp 240 circuits which is about 12 kwatts once you derate by 20 %.

Not ever happening as the house would be too hot and too loud.

2 kwatts summer 4 kwatts winter pretty easy to handle heat wise.
Activity: 742

Yes you are close to 25 mh per card 24.9 or so

and,you are lower then 7 watts an mh say 6.85

It is possible to get to 6 watts but titanium psu 240 volts and all really good chips in the

One rig I have touches 590 watts 101 mh but mostly does 610 watts and 98 mh.

I have four card rigs titanium psu 240 volts.

Thank you Phil!

I'm renting a home - and have no idea do I have 240V socket or not. It was super easy in EU Smiley

legendary

let us know mh and watts    watts for 140mh should be 950- 1000-1050

Phil,

I used AfterBurner.

Started from all stock parameter incrementally decreased voltage on all 6 cards to -65mV

Now I have 148 Mhs with 1015W from the wall

Is it good number?

Yes you are close to 25 mh per card 24.9 or so

and,you are lower then 7 watts an mh say 6.85

It is possible to get to 6 watts but titanium psu 240 volts and all really good chips in the

One rig I have touches 590 watts 101 mh but mostly does 610 watts and 98 mh.

I have four card rigs titanium psu 240 volts.
Activity: 742

let us know mh and watts    watts for 140mh should be 950- 1000-1050

Phil,

I used AfterBurner.

Started from all stock parameter incrementally decreased voltage on all 6 cards to -65mV

Now I have 148 Mhs with 1015W from the wall

Is it good number?

Thank Lone & Aries!  I saw a bit of the video last week but watched all last night and it seems pretty straight forward and even made sense for a noob like me lol.  I will be taking a crack at doing both the strapping and power reduction on 1 card today as a test and see how it goes.
legendary
Mine for a Bit
Alright, I got 6 full cards hashing at stock at the moment. (not for a long time, last time it took 10 mins to crash)

After uninstalling and reinstall amd driver a lots, I downloaded their cleanup utility. I manually removed all rx470 from the device manager with driver's delete option. Launched the cleanup and rebooted, launched the clean again and rebooted. Downloaded the latest driver, I always used 16.9.2, installed the 16.10.1 drivers. Rebooted.

I'm going to bed, but it looks good !

Thanks to everyone for all the inputs.

Hoping I can OC them a bit tomorrow Tongue

EDIT: And GPU hangs in OpenCL call, exit... It tried to restart but it's not working

I get those from time to time too. Mostly now when. I updated to claymore 7.0 and above
Not saying it is calymore but I see it more with 7.0 or newer

Great infos ! Thanks you.

What's your frequency ?
I run 1500 strap with 1130core and 1945 mem all modded bios

I make 1 more setting change for my MSI RX 470 Gaming X:

Start WattTool - Set Voltage offset to "-15" and click set for each card.  This will decrease your overall watts TREMENDOUSLY; therefore, reduce cost!  This will make you smile.  Cheesy

Hey Aries... I've been studying your posts in the hopes of at least partially re-creating the power/watt ratio you've been able to achieve on your 6x470 rig and was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me  Grin

1- You are using MSI RX 470 4GB, correct?  Or, are you using the 8GB version?

2- When you say "1500 strap", what are you referring to? I googled it but couldn't find anything that made sense

3- I looked up WattToll and will download it on my rig later, but had a question about the command you used "set Voltage Offsett to -15".  I see this field at the lower right of the WattToll window (shows "0  x  6.25mV" where user can over-write the "0").  Just to confirm, you simply enter "-15" in this field and click Set?

Thanks!

1.  Yes, I am using MSI RX 470 4GB on 1 of my Rigs. 

2.  See LoneRangir reply.  Basically, it is going into Polaris Editor and Copying the 1500 strap into the following 3 timings.

3. You are correct.  Replace the "0" with -15.

Activity: 672
Anyone here use sapphire Trixx?
If so how do you get it to load a profile for all gpus
Alright, I got 6 full cards hashing at stock at the moment. (not for a long time, last time it took 10 mins to crash)

After uninstalling and reinstall amd driver a lots, I downloaded their cleanup utility. I manually removed all rx470 from the device manager with driver's delete option. Launched the cleanup and rebooted, launched the clean again and rebooted. Downloaded the latest driver, I always used 16.9.2, installed the 16.10.1 drivers. Rebooted.

I'm going to bed, but it looks good !

Thanks to everyone for all the inputs.

Hoping I can OC them a bit tomorrow Tongue

EDIT: And GPU hangs in OpenCL call, exit... It tried to restart but it's not working

I get those from time to time too. Mostly now when. I updated to claymore 7.0 and above
Not saying it is calymore but I see it more with 7.0 or newer

Great infos ! Thanks you.

What's your frequency ?
I run 1500 strap with 1130core and 1945 mem all modded bios

I make 1 more setting change for my MSI RX 470 Gaming X:

Start WattTool - Set Voltage offset to "-15" and click set for each card.  This will decrease your overall watts TREMENDOUSLY; therefore, reduce cost!  This will make you smile.  Cheesy

Hey Aries... I've been studying your posts in the hopes of at least partially re-creating the power/watt ratio you've been able to achieve on your 6x470 rig and was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me  Grin

1- You are using MSI RX 470 4GB, correct?  Or, are you using the 8GB version?

2- When you say "1500 strap", what are you referring to? I googled it but couldn't find anything that made sense

3- I looked up WattToll and will download it on my rig later, but had a question about the command you used "set Voltage Offsett to -15".  I see this field at the lower right of the WattToll window (shows "0  x  6.25mV" where user can over-write the "0").  Just to confirm, you simply enter "-15" in this field and click Set?

Thanks!

Pages:
Jump to: