Pages:
Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 68. (Read 586242 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
December 16, 2014, 04:27:12 PM
Chances are that we will wipe and reset the score (star rating) when we switch, too, since, again, it doesn't really mean anything at this point.
Does that mean that every traders score will be reset?

Just the star ratings, not the trading information.

1. Any chance you can lower the default tx fee to 0.00001 BTC per 1000 bytes? This has actually been the default fee setting in Bitcoin Core already since v0.9.

Already implemented in beta of version 2.1. Should have been released already, but we keep adding little tweaks that people have been requesting, which kept pushing it back due to extra testing. If you want to join beta and try out all the new features, go here https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102264813364583686576 Just make sure you have a backup of your keys before using it. We haven't had any issues with beta wallets screwing up balances (since we use testnet first), but just in case.

It would be great if you can 1. push txs through port 80 as well (through external API sites, there's plenty available) if you're not doing so already, and 2. perhaps check if Mycelium has a working connection, and if not, warn the user "Your internet connection seems to be restricted, perhaps you need to login to your WiFi network?" This may avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.

Since we use our own custom nodes, I think we use port 443 for connections, instead of the standard port 8333 that bitcoin nodes use. Since it's a custom node thing, I don't know if we would be able to push transactions to anywhere, but we'll look into it. As for internet connection, I think we already check for it when you try to sync your wallet balances, and it briefly pops up to let you know if your internet connection isn't working. What we REALLY need to do is implement BIP70 to be able to push signed transactions directly to the receiver, using either the internet, or other means like Bluetooth or NFC. But there are so many other things to add....
Activity: 288
Merit: 251
December 15, 2014, 01:13:11 PM
Dear Mycelium devs, two questions / suggestions:

1. Any chance you can lower the default tx fee to 0.00001 BTC per 1000 bytes? This has actually been the default fee setting in Bitcoin Core already since v0.9. And the very commonly used Android Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach has been using this fee setting as well for quite some time, always works fine (just very rarely, a tx might take two or three blocks to confirm, but never leads to any problems whatsoever).
The thing is, here in Europe, bank transfers are free. So when comparing Bitcoin to old fashioned banking, the 0.0001 BTC tx fee (approximately 0.03 euros) may actually seem quite expensive in comparison. Especially for microtransactions (e.g. a €1 donation) a 3% fee is relatively expensive. It would make a better case for Bitcoin usage if you apply the new default fee in Breadwallet too.

2. Dealing with crippled WiFi: in order to push transactions, do you actually connect to Bitcoin nodes directly (i.e. you need port 8333 access for most nodes) or can Mycelium also use a web stub that works through port 80? The problem is, we quite often experience problems with public WiFi networks that have been limited, e.g. only ports for http(s) and email being accessible. Or even worse, open WiFi networks (in stores or public places) that have no password, but require a one-time login page to accept terms before allowing full internet access. When this happens, people's phones *appear* to have internet access, but any http request will redirect them to a login page. Now when trying to send a Bitcoin payment it won't work (saying "Broadcasting transaction..." forever), thus giving the false impression that Bitcoin is having problems, rather than their WiFi / internet connection being crippled.
It would be great if you can 1. push txs through port 80 as well (through external API sites, there's plenty available) if you're not doing so already, and 2. perhaps check if Mycelium has a working connection, and if not, warn the user "Your internet connection seems to be restricted, perhaps you need to login to your WiFi network?" This may avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.
Activity: 869
Merit: 585
December 14, 2014, 10:15:02 PM
You're right, it's there and I didn't see it.  All's well.
Activity: 707
Merit: 500
December 14, 2014, 08:50:59 AM
If you select the account on accounts tab, choose "sign message" from the action bar menu. You get shown a alphabetically sorted list of all addresses the account has keys for. Select the one you want, and you'll be able to sign with it.

I am a bit confused cause you say it's not available, but I know for sure, cause I coded it myself ☺ Didn't we release it yet? It's for sure at least in beta, I definitely have it. Which version do you use? Might be you need to enable beta versions if you need it right away, I can't tell from the top of my head when exactly it was coded.
pm7
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
December 14, 2014, 04:35:52 AM
birr: I think the easiest way for you would be importing the whole account to client that support signing, like Armory
December 13, 2014, 05:29:52 PM
OK, thanks for the explanation Rassah.
Now, on to other things.  I need to sign messages to several of the addresses in my HD wallet.  This is actually pretty important, because I'm undergoing an audit of sorts.  And the HD wallet doesn't seem to have message signing; at least I couldn't figure out a way to do it.
Time is of the essence.  If there was a way to export private keys from the HD wallet I could sign messsages to those addresses.  How can I do that?
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
December 13, 2014, 11:39:35 AM
Chances are that we will wipe and reset the score (star rating) when we switch, too, since, again, it doesn't really mean anything at this point.
Does that mean that every traders score will be reset?
legendary
December 12, 2014, 05:19:41 PM

Why would you accept the trade without even knowing who the other person is, or whether they intend to go through with it?

My very first step out of the gate, I get hit with this reputation penalty.  Rather than accept responsibility for an obscure, tricky design,  you blame the problem on me.

Reputation penalty is for people who do something dishonest, or who inconvenience other users.  I didn't scam or even cause the mildest of inconvenience to any user whomsoever.  So I didn't deserve this penalty.  The fault is yours, not mine.

You should change the way Local Trader allocates penalties so this doesn't happen to anybody else; people to whom it has happened should have the undeserved penalty removed.

The point of the penalty is so that if you discuss the trade, plan to meet, set up a time and place, accept the conditions of the trade, and then don't show up after all that, you get dinged. So don't accept any trades until you are sure that it will happen, and until you want to make sure that whoever you are trading with knows they will get penalized if they don't show up too. If someone contacts you, you don't hit accept trade, and then you or they cancel the order, it won't affect your reputation. Maybe that was lost in translation somewhere, since we kind of assumed that the trade simply showing up in your listing is enough to "accept" it the way you do, where you discuss it, and then actually accepting it is the pre-final step before you go out to meet each other. Maybe you could suggest how we can rename it?

But in any case, this reputation hit is not a big deal at this point. It doesn't work right, people know it doesn't work right, and I haven't met anyone who actually pays attention to it. Plus, as I said, we WILL be changing the way reputation works in LocalTrader, mainly so that users can actually add reputation feedback themselves instead of it being automatic. Chances are that we will wipe and reset the score (star rating) when we switch, too, since, again, it doesn't really mean anything at this point.
December 12, 2014, 06:53:35 AM

Why would you accept the trade without even knowing who the other person is, or whether they intend to go through with it?

My very first step out of the gate, I get hit with this reputation penalty.  Rather than accept responsibility for an obscure, tricky design,  you blame the problem on me.

Reputation penalty is for people who do something dishonest, or who inconvenience other users.  I didn't scam or even cause the mildest of inconvenience to any user whomsoever.  So I didn't deserve this penalty.  The fault is yours, not mine.

You should change the way Local Trader allocates penalties so this doesn't happen to anybody else; people to whom it has happened should have the undeserved penalty removed.
legendary
December 12, 2014, 05:57:42 AM
If you love our wallet, and love supporting us, PLEASE make sure that you have a working verified backup of your wallet, and any single address keys you may have. We had some incidents where people lost their keys for whatever reason (phone wiped, app uninstalled, etc) and the users didn't have a backup, or had an encrypted one without the password, making it useless. We also had someone who thought scanning their public bitcoin address into their wallet was all they needed to restore a backup, since the address was added and showed a balance in their wallet (it was a watch only address at that point), and they were quite upset when they sent more coins to that address, and later found out that they couldn't spend from it.
So, users losing coins upsets us a lot, we really hope everyone keeps their coins safe, and being safe and having backups keeps us happy and "supported"  Smiley
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
December 12, 2014, 05:42:07 AM

I have been using Mycelium in my Android device for quite some time now, and I'd love to thank you for this great wallet. I really love it, and I have got no intentions to change it for another wallet.

Please, always do your best!

legendary
December 12, 2014, 04:26:13 AM
You ONLY get penalized if you Accept the offer by pressing the Accept button, and then cancel the offer after.
Exactly.  We both accepted, he flaked out and I canceled the trade.  And now I pay the price!?
There are still three more trades that he started.  Can I cancel the expired trades or will I get stung again?

In any case, that whole reputation thing needs to be rebuilt anyway. We hope to get to it some time soon.

Activity: 765
Merit: 503
December 12, 2014, 02:10:59 AM
3.   NFC Pay tapping - 1 Tap = 1 Pay

Not possible. At least not with one tap. You need 1 tap to request the address and amount to send to, then the wallet signs, and then one more tap to send the signed transaction. The reason 1 Tap = 1 Pay works with credit cards is because it's the equivalent of tapping to give the merchant your private key, and then having them only pull out what they need.

Horray!  Finally someone gets it!
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
December 12, 2014, 01:38:35 AM
How about auto-cancelling non-performing trades after a week, like when the other party does absolutely nothing? Without penalty, of course.

Perhaps the inactive counter-party could get penalized. Perhaps ask the active user whether he agrees to cancel the non-performing trade without penalty.
December 12, 2014, 01:01:31 AM
You ONLY get penalized if you Accept the offer by pressing the Accept button, and then cancel the offer after.
Exactly.  We both accepted, he flaked out and I canceled the trade.  And now I pay the price!?
There are still three more trades that he started.  Can I cancel the expired trades or will I get stung again?
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
December 10, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
I was trying to confirm the "cold storage spending" feature and change return process with a simple test.  It did not work as I expected it to.  Hopefully someone can tell me what I did wrong.

I had an address with only 0.25 mBTC in it.  I used the Mycelium Cold Storage feature to spend from it.  I scanned the private key and had it spend 0.14999 mBTC to one of my Mycelium addresses, and a miner's fee of 0.1 mBTC.  I was expecting to see the remaining 0.00000001 mBTC returned as change to the same cold storage address.

Instead, what happened was that the 0.14999 mBTC went to my Mycelium address, but the miner got 0.00010001 mBTC.  So, was that new amount an adjusted miner's fee?  Or was the miner's fee still 0.1 mBTC, but the change of 0.00000001 mBTC go to the miner?

Or does this have something to do with the small dust levels I'm playing with?  If I was to spend a partial amount from my cold storage, how can I trust that the change will be returned to my paper wallet?

Thanks

There is a minimum limit for standard outputs, 5460 satoshis. if such an output is part of a transaction it is considered nonstandard and will by default not be relayed. (and thus not mined)
Mycelium makes sure that your transactions have a chance of working and does not produce change outputs that are smaller than this limit, so the rest <= 5460 satoshis is included in the mining fee.

the reason is, on average such outputs can not be spent economically because they make the transaction bigger. some more background info is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1drocs/to_everyone_wringing_their_hands_over_the_recent/
legendary
December 10, 2014, 05:46:43 AM
I was trying to confirm the "cold storage spending" feature and change return process with a simple test.  It did not work as I expected it to.  Hopefully someone can tell me what I did wrong.

I had an address with only 0.25 mBTC in it.  I used the Mycelium Cold Storage feature to spend from it.  I scanned the private key and had it spend 0.14999 mBTC to one of my Mycelium addresses, and a miner's fee of 0.1 mBTC.  I was expecting to see the remaining 0.00000001 mBTC returned as change to the same cold storage address.

Instead, what happened was that the 0.14999 mBTC went to my Mycelium address, but the miner got 0.00010001 mBTC.  So, was that new amount an adjusted miner's fee?  Or was the miner's fee still 0.1 mBTC, but the change of 0.00000001 mBTC go to the miner?

Reply from Daniel, one of our devs:

I just checked the code - we are combining unpent outputs until we have enough, and if the resulting change is smaller than the dust limit (i.e. would be unspendable), we include it into the miner fee and dont sent it back as change

So yeah, the reason you didn't get change back to the paper was because it would have gotten stuck on there permanently, due to being below the dust threshold. Sorry you had to lose $0.00000347 in that experiment.
legendary
December 10, 2014, 05:37:57 AM
 Then I see where it says you "may" get hit with a reputation penalty if you cancel a deal.  May?  Do you or do you not penalize?  What's the deal, does somebody at Mycelium flip a coin to decide whether to penalize each canceled deal?  And shouldn't it be obvious that sometimes you just have to cancel?

You ONLY get penalized if you Accept the offer by pressing the Accept button, and then cancel the offer after. If you just cancel the offer, it won't affect you. So don't hit Accept Offer until you are very sure you are going to trade, and are probably on your way to do it. As for the guy sending you requests and not replying, I don't know why, but some people just do that. I get those too. It's not that the messages don't get through, it's that they just don't say anything. Yes, we need to add many more features and much more functionality to this thing. We're working on it.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
December 09, 2014, 10:57:47 PM

How about impacting the other party's rating when I accepted the trade, but they let it time out?
Pages:
Jump to: