Pages:
Author

Topic: Nefario - page 47. (Read 198678 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
October 11, 2012, 05:00:10 AM
Read this again. The part where it says something about a verb.
Went back and read the post where this started.

Yes. I agree with you. With both of you. Thank you.

Nothing more from me on this digression. (Which was my fault.)
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
October 11, 2012, 04:45:54 AM
affect 1 |əˈfekt|
verb [ with obj. ]
have an effect on; make a difference to: the dampness began to affect my health | [ with clause ] : your attitude will affect how successful you are.
• touch the feelings of (someone); move emotionally: the atrocities he witnessed have affected him most deeply.

Read this again. The part where it says something about a verb.

October 11, 2012, 04:41:13 AM
affect 1 |əˈfekt|
verb [ with obj. ]
have an effect on; make a difference to: the dampness began to affect my health | [ with clause ] : your attitude will affect how successful you are.
• touch the feelings of (someone); move emotionally: the atrocities he witnessed have affected him most deeply.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
October 11, 2012, 04:40:36 AM
Unless it pretends to have feelings.
We might be getting a bit off topic.

"the atrocities he witnessed have affected him most deeply."

However, isn't that a substantial under-current in this thread. Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affect_%28psychology%29
October 11, 2012, 04:39:22 AM
We might be getting a bit off topic.

"the atrocities he witnessed have affected him most deeply."

However, isn't that a substantial under-current in this thread. Smiley
legendary
October 11, 2012, 04:36:53 AM
We will see once they migrate to new platforms I guess.
Just understand that if that happens, the assets will gain back value they have currently lost. That won't undo the loss because the set of people who benefit from the gain are not necessarily the same as the set of people harmed by the loss.

If a stock drops in value by $10 one day and then goes back up $10 the next day, it's not "no harm no foul". The benefits from the gain do not undo the harm of the loss. For one thing, the opportunity cost of being able to trade the asset is lost every day one cannot trade it in any way. And the time value of dividends is being lost. And some people might sell their rights to claim their assets to others at a steep discount because they need money know.

The harm Nefario did by delisting Goat's assets and GBLSE did by shutting down is done. Barring some kind of compensation to victims from Nefario or GLBSE, the asset owners will suffer losses no matter what they or the issuers do.

There are three takeaway lessons from this:

1) Asset contracts must specify precisely what will happen in the event of a delisting.

2) Stock exchanges like GLBSE must insist any assets they trade have a delisting policy in the contract.

3) Stock exchanges like GLBSE must themselves have a delisting policy explaining precisely what they will and won't do if an asset is delisted.
legendary
October 11, 2012, 04:32:43 AM
The reason you bought something has no effect on its fair market value. All of the delisted assets are nearly worthless now. If you don't think so, try to sell one of them and tell me what you get for it. GLBSE's unilateral action, for which we have as yet heard no justification, destroyed that value.

Might even have no affect.
Activity: 686
Wat
October 11, 2012, 04:30:37 AM
Nefario destroyed the value of those assets. That's just a fact. There is no practically no value left to save.
Except for those assets which have an intrinsic value. Which, until they pay off, is in the eye/judgement of the (be)holder. (And dependent on the integrity of the issuer.)

Not everyone buys to flip. Some of us have bought stuff to own.
The reason you bought something has no effect on its fair market value. All of the delisted assets are nearly worthless now. If you don't think so, try to sell one of them and tell me what you get for it. GLBSE's unilateral action, for which we have as yet heard no justification, destroyed that value.

Thats a difficult one. I know MOORE is backed by friedcat and hes promised to redeem them at issue price. Lots of people bought for the future dividend income of some shares.

It will get hard when asset issuers shoot through using glbse closing as an excuse to do so. Its hard to know what the actual value of the shares is now because they currently aren't being traded. We will see once they migrate to new platforms I guess.
October 11, 2012, 04:28:05 AM
Nefario destroyed the value of those assets. That's just a fact. There is no practically no value left to save.
Except for those assets which have an intrinsic value. Which, until they pay off, is in the eye/judgement of the (be)holder. (And dependent on the integrity of the issuer.)

Might even have no affect.
legendary
October 11, 2012, 04:24:38 AM

The assets are nearly worthless now. Every asset owner has taken a huge loss as a result of GLBSE's actions.
Wat
October 11, 2012, 04:22:50 AM
Whoever knows Nefario's personal information needs to reveal it. Now.

Thats not a good idea for several reasons I wont go into. Besides his name and dox are easily available.

vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
October 11, 2012, 04:18:16 AM
Whoever knows Nefario's personal information needs to reveal it. Now.
October 11, 2012, 04:13:16 AM

legendary
October 11, 2012, 03:58:31 AM
As long as those assets remain delisted, I suspect that Goat is stuck having to manually work out the claim codes.
I honestly don't see any reason Goat should mitigate the damage GLBSE did to their own customers at his risk with no cooperation from GLBSE. If I were Goat, I wouldn't do it. If there's some argument that he ever agreed to assume this risk, I haven't seen it. Were I Goat, I would be willing to work to negotiate a sane way to do it in good faith with GLBSE, assuming Nefario no longer had control over GLBSE. (Expecting Nefario to negotiate with Goat in good faith seems comically doomed to fail.) But that's as far as I would go.

Were I Goat, I might be willing to pay fair market value to the asset owners, were there some sane way I could do it. But recognize that because of the GLBSE delisting, the fair market value of those assets is very, very low because they are untradeable. From what we know, it seems Nefario, either intentionally or with gross negligence, totally destroyed the value of those assets -- harming only his customers. There is practically no value left to save.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
October 11, 2012, 03:57:21 AM
I'll call it clean* when (if) I get out without major damages, and retract my scammer claim.

That depends a lot on how shares are handled by both GLBSE and issuers, and their remaining worth. Unfair to Nefario? No, not really, since he willfully caused this mess and possible devaluation.

*) Compared to what's usual in bitcoin land.
Activity: 518
October 11, 2012, 03:38:49 AM
That's what I would call a clean shutdown!  Wink If it really works, of course...

As an opinion (having purchased an asset to become an issuer and otherwise as a user), it isn't clean.  Without putting it to bluntly, it has fucked up a lot of things and cost many people a lot of money.
Activity: 504
Scattering my bits around the net since 1980
October 11, 2012, 03:33:13 AM
What Nefario should also do. is reinstate the TYGRR assets, so that our contact information can also be sent to Goat via GLBSE as well...

As long as those assets remain delisted, I suspect that Goat is stuck having to manually work out the claim codes.

-- Smoov
October 10, 2012, 09:25:02 PM
... i wouldn't have needed to upload all of my AML info last night.
Well, it seems you did not need to.

Unfortunate, perhaps, if you chose to.
Wat
October 10, 2012, 08:42:17 PM
That's what I would call a clean shutdown!  Wink If it really works, of course...

If it was a clean shutdown, i wouldn't have needed to upload all of my AML info last night.

Why would you do that ?
Activity: 532
October 10, 2012, 08:36:10 PM

If it was a clean shutdown, i wouldn't have needed to upload all of my AML info last night.

yea you kind of jumped the gun on that.
Pages:
Jump to: