Pages:
Author

Topic: Nefario - page 77. (Read 198674 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
October 06, 2012, 07:08:17 PM

Do you really believe these govt thugs are going to leave the truly innocent parties (such as myself) alone once they have their data?  I don't.
If you are innocent then there is no crime to investigate. What do you believe they are going to come after you for?

Who knows?  They don't understand what they're dealing with (bitcoin), and may well make up whatever bullshit charge(s) they feel like, and there will be little I can do about it.

Would you feel comfortable handing your data over in this situation?  I don't.

Bicoin is not that difficult to understand but I can understand your fears about the irrationality of some policy enforcers. I personally dont have these fears and will give my id if necessary. if they did lean on nefario and they have access to the db and to the server logs they wont have much problem tracking me through my mail account.

Any way as far as we know this is scenarios are not happening. people are just imagining and exagerating stuff and none of the people who really know what is happening are willing to tell it straight.

From what I understood any AML regulations information and data taken will only be provided to the government/police if he is required to do so.  Implying the authority's are not necessarily asking for such information at this point or at least not for everyone.   
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
October 06, 2012, 07:03:42 PM

Do you really believe these govt thugs are going to leave the truly innocent parties (such as myself) alone once they have their data?  I don't.
If you are innocent then there is no crime to investigate. What do you believe they are going to come after you for?

Who knows?  They don't understand what they're dealing with (bitcoin), and may well make up whatever bullshit charge(s) they feel like, and there will be little I can do about it.

Bicoin is not that difficult to understand but I can understand your fears about the irrationality of some policy enforcers. I personally dont have these fears and will give my id if necessary. if they did lean on nefario and they have access to the db and to the server logs they wont have much problem tracking me through my mail account.

Any way as far as we know this is scenarios are not happening. people are just imagining and exagerating stuff and none of the people who really know what is happening are willing to tell it straight.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
October 06, 2012, 07:01:50 PM
This has NOTHING to do with "shutting down bitcoin" or "going after the protocol".  

In the eyes of those born to regulate, it probably does.

Not directed at you per se, but why am I not seeing more support for the guy that's supposedly getting fucked by a government, one of Bitcoin's own?

I understand it wasn't necessarily directed at me (and appreciate you pointing that out Smiley ) but I'll answer anyway....

My guess would be because there's no actual evidence of any kind that this is the reason behind the closure.  Nef hasn't posted here in over a week, and the post on the site gives no reason behind the move whatsoever.  The whole "the govt made him do it" is essentially conjecture at this point, and given all the shenanigans surrounding GLBSE (on the part of various "owners thereof") in the last month and the other high level forfeitures of late, people aren't exactly in a mood to sympathize with someone who acted in a way that harmed them (or their friends amongst "bitcoin's own") without explanation, presence, or remedy to those who have been harmed.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
October 06, 2012, 06:55:17 PM
Quote from: GLBSE
... You will be able to get back your bitcoin, and if you want to reveal your username, email, and a bitcoin address to accept payments with, you can continue your relationship with the issuer of any assets you hold....

What is there to understand ?  What has providing a bitcoin address anything to do with owning an asset ?
How are usernames and email proof of ownership while 2FA was enabled ?

It took him this long to announce something this inconsistent ?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
October 06, 2012, 06:53:43 PM

You are a special kind of stupid.  You're not a shut-in by choice, are you?  You just can't remember the order and places to put shoes, socks, pants, underwear, shirt, and buttplug.

If you can't have a conversation without refraining from ad hominem, *plonk!*

See ya.
October 06, 2012, 06:52:44 PM
This has NOTHING to do with "shutting down bitcoin" or "going after the protocol".  

In the eyes of those born to regulate, it probably does.

Not directed at you per se, but why am I not seeing more support for the guy that's supposedly getting fucked by a government, one of Bitcoin's own?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
October 06, 2012, 06:50:20 PM
Well luckily their power is far from absolute outside of the the US of A Smiley

FATF has 34 member nations which have agreed to adopt its 40+9 AML/CTF recommendations.  There are also regional bodies which address AML/CTF issues, memorandums of understanding between nations, and provisions which get snuck into trade agreements without anyone noticing (the US is notorious for doing this as a means of getting other nations to adopt its IP laws without actually passing unpopular legislation to do so).

Financial services are even more tightly regulated in some other places than they are in the US, so people really,really need to be aware of their local laws instead of just assuming "I'm fine because I'm not in the US".
legendary
Activity: 966
October 06, 2012, 06:45:46 PM
 They've got the power.

Not when it comes to this particular protocol. They can go after the random trader, but it won't make much difference.

It has to do with them (presumably at the moment) being the ones behind GLBSE's closure.  That's not "the random trader", but hundreds (thousands?) of people and businesses being effected in a fairly major way (for many).

Once again the weaknesses of centralization are demonstrated.
October 06, 2012, 06:45:13 PM
As a prosecutor or investigator, I would LOVE bitcoin.  

Most prosecutors are politicians and thus aren't smart enough to understand Bitcoin.
October 06, 2012, 06:43:46 PM
 They've got the power.

Not when it comes to this particular protocol. They can go after the random trader, but it won't make much difference.

It has to do with them (presumably at the moment) being the ones behind GLBSE's closure.  That's not "the random trader", but hundreds (thousands?) of people and businesses being effected in a fairly major way (for many).
October 06, 2012, 06:42:38 PM
Its not bitcoin thats on trial here. Its unregulated securities. And trading those for bitcoin will have about as much chance in court as trading guns or heroin for bitcoin. Good luck with your "the law doesnt understand bitcoin" defense.

My point is that as time progresses, we'll have other tools to trade what we want with less worry from interference by those that think themselves fit to exercise power over others. As stated earlier, power is about projection and domination. We're entering a time and place where the usual infringers of rights won't have the ability to project and dominate as they once did. That's one of the reasons this protocol exists.
Activity: 434
October 06, 2012, 06:41:45 PM
Pirate asks for AML info before he'll give the money up. Never gives the money up.
Nefario asks for AML info before he'll give the money up. (predictable result goes here)
legendary
Activity: 966
October 06, 2012, 06:40:39 PM

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
October 06, 2012, 06:39:31 PM
I am glad that I am uninvolved with 99.99% of bitcoin businesses at this point, including the GLBSE. I now have the hindsight that they are ways to lose bitcoin rather than gain bitcoin.
+1

Same for me  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
October 06, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
To the law it doesn't matter...

"The law" - whatever that means these days - doesn't even comprehend Bitcoin. It took "the law" years to comprehend http and it still can't figure it out.

They dont have to understand it. All they need to know is that it has value.

"The law" won't have a lot of effect on Bitcoin in the long run.

Its not bitcoin thats on trial here. Its unregistered securities. And trading those for bitcoin will have about as much chance in court as trading guns or heroin for bitcoin. Good luck with your "the law doesnt understand bitcoin" defense.
October 06, 2012, 06:30:36 PM
 They've got the power.

October 06, 2012, 06:28:55 PM
To the law it doesn't matter...

"The law" - whatever that means these days - doesn't even comprehend Bitcoin. It took "the law" years to comprehend http and it still can't figure it out.

"The law" won't have a lot of effect on Bitcoin in the long run.
October 06, 2012, 06:27:14 PM
It's called "Global Bitcoin Stock Exchange", and was a trading platform for stocks and bonds.  Suddenly y'all want to claim these weren't securities?  Ridiculous!  if it quacks like a duck...

I wouldn't call them that.

Unfortunately, what you call them or don't call them is irrelevant.  The government calls them securities, and they're the ones with the guns and the backing of millions of "citizens".

It sounds like some of you are saying that all trade is (and/or should be) illegal if it does include govt involvement.

No one said that. All trade of securities however, is indeed regulated, whether you like it or not.

Actually the government does say exactly that on a daily basis.  Business licenses, sales tax, regulations, etc.  The US government (and it's state and local subsidiaries) does, indeed, believe that all trade is illegal if it doesn't involve them.  Hell, they arrest 10 year olds for selling lemonade on a regular basis!

Now, I don't agree with them one bit.  But, as stated above to Severian, what I believe doesn't really mater here.  They've got the power.
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
October 06, 2012, 06:27:09 PM

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
October 06, 2012, 06:20:53 PM
It sounds like some of you are saying that all trade is (and/or should be) illegal if it does include govt involvement.

No one said that. All trade of securities however, is indeed regulated, whether you like it or not.
Pages:
Jump to: