Pages:
Author

Topic: New Official AMT Thread - page 85. (Read 149453 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
May 20, 2014, 06:30:48 PM
i suppose i need to get some of those server psu's.  The desktop ons are way too expensive, like you said.

one of my buddies was telling me about his 5 ants. by undervolting/underclocking, his electric bill goes down $120/month, and his mining revenue only goes down $30-40/month.  not a bad trade off.  plus they are cooler and quieter.

These are the ones I use, rated for 900w on 115vac, 1,200w on 220vac http://www.amazon.com/1200W-HP-DL580G5-Supply-440785-001/dp/B002P5XUA0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RR4R5ZBJ24X4E6JSP8N You will use less power as well as they are >96% efficient vs 80-86% for regular PSU.

How to wire them http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2100680
Instead of using a resistor between pin-1 and pin-4 I wired a lil' switch to them for easy turn-on/off. Close the connections and the outputs turn on.

To feed 2 OC's Ants I run two 12ga wire pairs from the PSU and terminate each pair with 2 (4 total) 12" PCIe extender cables from Frozen CPU. Cut the socket ends off of course. Think the cables were around $8 each.
Activity: 267
Merit: 250
Stan the Man!
May 20, 2014, 05:47:20 PM
Well in some scenarios it makes sense to have the nice neat package. Honestly the fact that the S2 comes with rail kits is a huge win for me personally. I can mount them and call it a day. No need to create modified setups. Its just a rack n stack and thats it.

the single device aspect of the s2 is definitely a plus.  it all depends on your situation.  i have plenty of room in my garage, so would be looking for the cost savings, as opposed to how much room they will take up.

just another option to lower the cost of HW, and give you a quicker ROI. 
Stan the Man!
May 20, 2014, 05:39:32 PM
why buy s2's, when you can underclock/undervolt the s1's, and get the same w/GH as the s2?

buy 7 s1's, run them at 160GH/160W, and it will cost you about $1400.  then you would need to spend an extra couple hundred for a 1200W PSU, or 2 750-850s.   total cost=$1700-1800, instead of $2244 for an s2.  

s2 price has come down a lot, so i guess having it all in one neat package would be an advantage over 7 s1's.  i go for cost savings, as i have plenty of room.

link to s1 how-to

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-undervolt-antminer-s1-119wgh-at-the-wall-526060
Too bulky. Will say my pharm looks pretty neat though with the blue LED fans I put on the Ants. Running them 4 per 24" wide shelf.
Hmm, gonna check out undervolting as would not break my heart to lower power a bit. Pulling around 3.8kw right now for the pharm running 1.65-1.9TH total. Couple hundred for a psu? Way to much! I've been paying $40-50 for new HP 1200w 1U high server psu's through Amazon. Takes a little wiring to use them but work great.

i suppose i need to get some of those server psu's.  The desktop ons are way too expensive, like you said.

one of my buddies was telling me about his 5 ants. by undervolting/underclocking, his electric bill goes down $120/month, and his mining revenue only goes down $30-40/month.  not a bad trade off.  plus they are cooler and quieter.
legendary
May 20, 2014, 04:14:04 PM
why buy s2's, when you can underclock/undervolt the s1's, and get the same w/GH as the s2?

buy 7 s1's, run them at 160GH/160W, and it will cost you about $1400.  then you would need to spend an extra couple hundred for a 1200W PSU, or 2 750-850s.   total cost=$1700-1800, instead of $2244 for an s2.  

s2 price has come down a lot, so i guess having it all in one neat package would be an advantage over 7 s1's.  i go for cost savings, as i have plenty of room.

link to s1 how-to

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-undervolt-antminer-s1-119wgh-at-the-wall-526060
Too bulky. Will say my pharm looks pretty neat though with the blue LED fans I put on the Ants. Running them 4 per 24" wide shelf.
Hmm, gonna check out undervolting as would not break my heart to lower power a bit. Pulling around 3.8kw right now for the pharm running 1.65-1.9TH total. Couple hundred for a psu? Way to much! I've been paying $40-50 for new HP 1200w 1U high server psu's through Amazon. Takes a little wiring to use them but work great.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
May 20, 2014, 04:06:43 PM
Well in some scenarios it makes sense to have the nice neat package. Honestly the fact that the S2 comes with rail kits is a huge win for me personally. I can mount them and call it a day. No need to create modified setups. Its just a rack n stack and thats it.
Stan the Man!
May 20, 2014, 04:02:12 PM
Well just a suggestion about creating a new board...  you know that the A2 chip set has identical pin layouts.. so if we want to get serious about mining then we could source our chips directly from Innosilicon and save a bundle.

I inquired with them and a single A1 chips is around $45.   So if you go with your own created boards and maybe a mineral oil (or immerssion)... and then locate yourself beside a hydro-electric damn,  then you have a good chance at being profitiable with Bitcoin mining!
Ants, even the power hungry S1's, are very profitable for me. Even without the current rise in BTC value my 9-Ant pharm is 3/4 'paid off' in just under 3 month of running. I used the quotes because tonight I'll be using most of the BTC earned to order a s2 from Bitmine...

Solid hardware those S2s. A few people bitching over the shipping snafus but they are making geniuine attempts to remedy that for shipping. I got mine in pretty good shape just needed to reseat the cards is all. I got one and it hashes at 960-1200Ghs. No OC needed.

link to s1 how-to

legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
May 20, 2014, 03:28:42 PM
I got 8 chips on my boards........ My thought would be say modular chip docks like a cpu so one chip frazzles itself you just nip out the chip and swap it for another. Bobs ya uncle back in business. And during test you can have a bank of them in test ditch or put aside dead and low hash chips ship best of batch use the slow/unresponsive chips to test alt settings send out to prospective people to use as reference or build on see what they can do with it.
The BGA chips won't let you do that because they require intimate contact with the thermal vias. As in must be soldered. The chip is too fragile to use a pressure plate to press down on it hard enough to run at full power. But - there *is* a low-temp solder made expressly for futzing around... How it would impact later assembly/lifetime don't know but ja, there needs to be some kind of performance binning done with these.

Hmm... can't you design a board that routes the vias to the top of the board so you can place a heatsink?
legendary
May 20, 2014, 03:01:37 PM
I got 8 chips on my boards........ My thought would be say modular chip docks like a cpu so one chip frazzles itself you just nip out the chip and swap it for another. Bobs ya uncle back in business. And during test you can have a bank of them in test ditch or put aside dead and low hash chips ship best of batch use the slow/unresponsive chips to test alt settings send out to prospective people to use as reference or build on see what they can do with it.
The BGA chips won't let you do that because they require intimate contact with the thermal vias. As in must be soldered. The chip is too fragile to use a pressure plate to press down on it hard enough to run at full power. But - there *is* a low-temp solder made expressly for futzing around... How it would impact later assembly/lifetime don't know but ja, there needs to be some kind of performance binning done with these.
legendary
May 20, 2014, 02:52:57 PM
Well just a suggestion about creating a new board...  you know that the A2 chip set has identical pin layouts.. so if we want to get serious about mining then we could source our chips directly from Innosilicon and save a bundle.

I inquired with them and a single A1 chips is around $45.   So if you go with your own created boards and maybe a mineral oil (or immerssion)... and then locate yourself beside a hydro-electric damn,  then you have a good chance at being profitiable with Bitcoin mining!
Ants, even the power hungry S1's, are very profitable for me. Even without the current rise in BTC value my 9-Ant pharm is 3/4 'paid off' in just under 3 month of running. I used the quotes because tonight I'll be using most of the BTC earned to order a s2 from Bitmine...

Solid hardware those S2s. A few people bitching over the shipping snafus but they are making geniuine attempts to remedy that for shipping. I got mine in pretty good shape just needed to reseat the cards is all. I got one and it hashes at 960-1200Ghs. No OC needed.
You do know that the S2's are running in what on an s1 would be called super-eco mode don't cha? Last I saw clock is 197mHz and software will let you goose up to 400 same as s1's. If you dunk it in liquid and have one helluva psu that is Wink Take a look at /etc/config/asic-freq for the options you have. The one being used is un-rem'ed.
Activity: 588
May 20, 2014, 02:44:51 PM
AMT_Miners, ISAWHIM and anyone else interested in best practices when it comes to pcb layout & EMC issues - here is link to one of the best references I've come across yet. http://www.emcfastpass.com/rightfirsttime/

Not is only how-to but also strong on the WHY.

Do you think you would be able to design a new board using the reference design available from Bitmine?

You just need to increase the number of A1 chips from two to four (or even eight).

May 20, 2014, 02:28:47 PM

legendary
May 20, 2014, 02:00:06 PM

legendary
May 20, 2014, 01:49:04 PM
AMT_Miners, ISAWHIM and anyone else interested in best practices when it comes to pcb layout & EMC issues - here is link to one of the best references I've come across yet. http://www.emcfastpass.com/rightfirsttime/

Do you think you would be able to design a new board using the reference design available from Bitmine?

You just need to increase the number of A1 chips from two to four (or even eight).
Could I using that as a starting point - and being a reference design that is all it is - certainly. Do I have the time needed - hell no. You are looking at at least 2-3 weeks solid spent checking/specing the parts and then doing board layout. Between Opium, ISAWHIM and me we probably have most everything covered to do it I'd think.

Our company is booked solid until next Feb and part of it involves orders for 3 next-gen system I've designed. Taking things off the bench and starting the 1st prototype of it next week when a few structure parts come in. That and why re-invent the wheel? BMch and AMT have already done what is needed to take the A1 from testbed to a real miner, they just seem to have fallen down on implementing it right. That should be changing.

Being that the ref board on Github is all I have to go on so far it strikes me that at least 1 thing is missing from it - coms to the Vdd regulator for tweaking the voltage. Also, where does 5VMAS that feeds the regulator chip come from? Don't see any 5v lines called out on the I/O connectors...

Well just a suggestion about creating a new board...  you know that the A2 chip set has identical pin layouts.. so if we want to get serious about mining then we could source our chips directly from Innosilicon and save a bundle.

I inquired with them and a single A1 chips is around $45.   So if you go with your own created boards and maybe a mineral oil (or immerssion)... and then locate yourself beside a hydro-electric damn,  then you have a good chance at being profitiable with Bitcoin mining!
legendary
May 20, 2014, 01:31:55 PM
Guess while we are on the design end of things, good guide from PCB Universe to choosing cladding thickness and how that affects trace layout. http://www.pcbuniverse.com/pcbu-tech-tips.php?a=4 They also have a good faq on via designs.

For general trace width data this calculator is very handy http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/?p=25/
From same folks but for Vias http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/2006/03/12/pcb-via-calculator/
legendary
May 20, 2014, 01:21:40 PM

Could I using that as a starting point - and being a reference design that is all it is - certainly. Do I have the time needed - hell no. You are looking at at least 2-3 weeks solid spent checking/specing the parts and then doing board layout. Between Opium, ISAWHIM and me we probably have most everything covered to do it I'd think.

Our company is booked solid until next Feb and part of it involves orders for 3 next-gen system I've designed. Taking things off the bench and starting the 1st prototype of it next week when a few structure parts come in. That and why re-invent the wheel? BMch and AMT have already done what is needed to take the A1 from testbed to a real miner, they just seem to have fallen down on implementing it right. That should be changing.

Being that the ref board on Github is all I have to go on so far it strikes me that at least 1 thing is missing from it - coms to the Vdd regulator for tweaking the voltage. Also, where does 5VMAS that feeds the regulator chip come from? Don't see any 5v lines called out on the I/O connectors...
legendary
May 20, 2014, 12:41:20 PM

legendary
May 20, 2014, 12:22:42 PM

May 20, 2014, 11:58:11 AM
May 20, 2014, 11:54:22 AM
With the price of BTC going up this would have been a good time to get our miners going. Least now I have a fire under my ass to make these miners work (if thats possible)
May 20, 2014, 11:37:10 AM
Well as far as anyone knows they wont discuss that here really as they are barred from talking about orders and all that due to the lawsuit. That much is clear. So all we can do is really wait. At least they are communicating from a technical standpoint which is helpful for those who do have hardware. Sucks for those who don't, but on the bright side the work we are doing here will ultimately help those who get new miners and might have issues.
Pages:
Jump to: