Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 276. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
August 06, 2011, 05:12:24 AM
Stupid barriers u put up here!
Do u want to get more members to the bitcoin community or do u want to scare them off?

Different approach: Let the first 5-10 posts of newbies be revised by admins before posted in order to filter out the troll posts (and users), in that way u have instant posting opportunities for new members and also control over whats being posted.

And now CLEAR ME ALREADY i got some IMPORTANT thread to launch (about a new indicator for price level development if u excuse)!

regards,
ur newest pissed off member XXX

Well, don't call anyone or anything here stupid, you'll have trouble making your important announcement.

I have some interesting (I believe) things to say myself, and I actually did make some posts in the old forum before these newbie restrictions were decided upon.

Well, I guess I have to just wait and make a few noises to get out of prison and be allowed to post.

Good thing the number of needed posts got restricted from 50 to 5!
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
August 06, 2011, 03:49:24 AM
I understand the newbie restrictions...   but it is annoying.  I keep thinking I can reply to posts then I spend a minute trying to find the icon doh!

Same here! But Its cool if it keeps the trolls/spammers away.

Cheers,
W
legendary
Activity: 968
Merit: 1000
einc.io
August 06, 2011, 01:17:39 AM
I understand the newbie restrictions...   but it is annoying.  I keep thinking I can reply to posts then I spend a minute trying to find the icon doh!
Activity: 7
August 05, 2011, 10:17:42 PM
Since it seems like everybody has to post in this thread, I thought I'd leave this here rather than start a new thread.

As this is the de facto forum for bitcoin discussion, this policy actively discourages what should be a growing bitcoin community. I've read this forum a decent amount before I even tried to register, and limiting people like this prevents bitcoin from growing amongst the general populace in order to protect a select few forum members from trolls.

It's downright ironic that the first poster in this thread was a very informed woman that is a value to the bitcoin community who seems to have been driven off of these forums by outright irrational hostility and misogyny from a consistent poster as opposed to any deliberate troll. That's better trolling than anybody else could imagine and it comes from a person who is still a member here. Unbelievable.
August 05, 2011, 12:29:42 PM
Makes good sense to me!
Activity: 5
August 05, 2011, 05:44:20 AM
restrictions are annoying.
August 05, 2011, 02:59:23 AM
this is great. when I first joined it was 50 or maybe I just read it wrong. Well now I'm excited to become a real member. Unrestricted here I come!
Activity: 17
August 04, 2011, 05:55:28 PM
Okay, that made it clear for me.

You need to have a post for being able to PM.
Activity: 6
August 04, 2011, 03:47:00 PM
Wait, does the time factor involve time spent on the forum, or time since the account was created? It's fine either way, but I don't really see how it cuts down on spam if it's the latter rather than the former.
Activity: 95
August 04, 2011, 01:33:15 PM
so I have to wait 4 hours eh....
August 04, 2011, 12:42:34 PM
What about having alternate paths: say 4 hours and 250+ words posted, or 10 hours and a single post?  As a long-time lurker who's got some (hopefully!) interesting things to say, the current scheme encourages newbies to come as close to spam as possible to get their 5 posts, instead of encouraging them to post actual content.

Or captcha the first 5 or so posts to prevent bots/discourage spammers?
Activity: 17
August 03, 2011, 05:24:24 PM
What about having alternate paths: say 4 hours and 250+ words posted, or 10 hours and a single post?  As a long-time lurker who's got some (hopefully!) interesting things to say, the current scheme encourages newbies to come as close to spam as possible to get their 5 posts, instead of encouraging them to post actual content.
Activity: 71
August 03, 2011, 02:35:58 PM
Having bots spam a forum is the quickest way to force people away.

A healthy forum has useful information and spirited discussion.  New and useful content attracts traffic (and ad clicks).

I can't disagree with the policy when you see the effects bots have on other sites.
Activity: 3
August 03, 2011, 01:40:26 PM
I think this rule will be lifted once the forum slows down. But by then people would have lost interest... So no biggie either way.
good point, but atm its really a "i am not a bot"-game
Activity: 9
August 03, 2011, 09:22:25 AM
I think this rule will be lifted once the forum slows down. But by then people would have lost interest... So no biggie either way.
Activity: 178
Merit: 102
August 03, 2011, 12:46:04 AM
I think even though this is only my second post the rules make sense this way.  It forces alittle interaction which can lead to greater things.  I seem to be viewed as a lurker sometimes because ill throw my two cents in and then read alot.  but any time i feel i have something important that i should say i do it.  i do like reading though.  It keeps me informed.
Activity: 12
August 02, 2011, 10:38:15 PM
Does this include replies, or do you actually have to start a thread?

It does include replies.

Cool.   Post #4. 
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
August 02, 2011, 04:05:54 PM
Except now I have to make empty messages of content to get those 5 posts created so i can really post where i want hah...

Yes, but that will also mean spamming ... so be careful with that. Best thing to do, is to make some useful posts or at least something interesting.

Low value posts aren't really 'spam' unless you have some ad in your sig.  The point is that a human being can manage to post five times in the newb section and sound like a real person responding to other low content posts.  A bot will flail trying to post in the other sections, because this rule is uncommon, and hopefully those kind of people that just move from forum to forum trolling for cheap amusment will prove too impatient to post five times and read the forum for a couple hours before having something to 'contribute' and thus move on.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
August 02, 2011, 04:00:56 PM
I dont like the restriction either - as I want to post some development stuff in the development part (and not the newbie section) and can't!
other forums or bitcoin sites use other rating sources by the way!
for example your ebay account with (in my case 118 positive) votes - which you could easily verify by sending a message to the bitcointalk profile there (if one existed).

Bitcoiners don't use Ebay much, and even it we did, the act of using another website's ratings undermines the autonomy of the membership.  That's kinda antiethical to the Bitcoin community.

if you scewed up you and your ebay account would be blacklisted.
it just needs some "moderators" - thats probably the problem with those rating solutions.

Insulting the mods while you are still a newb isn't a good way to make it out of newb hell.  If you can't manage to make 5 posts along the lines of "hi, I'm not a bot" without getting bent at the established system, feel free to start your own bitcoin forum.
Activity: 113
E-currency exchanger for Bitcoin, LR, WMZ, WU/MG
August 02, 2011, 02:55:33 PM
Except now I have to make empty messages of content to get those 5 posts created so i can really post where i want hah...

Yes, but that will also mean spamming ... so be careful with that. Best thing to do, is to make some useful posts or at least something interesting.
Jump to: