Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 275. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
August 10, 2011, 10:22:52 PM
ok, this is my 5 post

I ´ve spend hours logged and reading different topics.. now I have some doubts and I need to put those in their topics, hope I´ll be whitelisted

sorry for my poor english
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
August 10, 2011, 09:34:57 PM
So does it still take a few hours for posting permission to be granted?
Activity: 6
August 10, 2011, 03:26:24 PM
makes sense, nothing worse than spam
Activity: 1
August 10, 2011, 12:49:03 PM
I like the idea of restrictions, until they are applied to me.
Activity: 13
Merit: 1
August 10, 2011, 08:28:19 AM
At first I was like "WTF" at the restrictions, but after looking around, I think I like the fact that it weeds out the trolls and prevents spam.  Almost to my 5, which I will pry continue to post in the newbie section long afterwards (self proclaimed noob) but 3 hours till freedom!  Time to do some pokin' around and readin' up!
Activity: 32
August 10, 2011, 04:35:39 AM
This is post #5. Some more hours to wait and Welcome Jr. Member :-D
Activity: 9
Merit: 21
August 09, 2011, 05:50:07 PM
I thought trolls were mostly a problem on granny forums. Why exactly would anyone care ?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 09, 2011, 03:35:44 PM
The claims of how to get out are a lie.  I've been on the forum for 1.5 years.  I originally could post anywhere.  I then stopped going to the forum for over year.  Now despite tons of posts, years spent on the board, threads made about it, and multiple whitelist requests nothing.

I'm guessing the people getting out are bribing the admins.
legendary
Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000
August 09, 2011, 12:44:25 PM
I think this restrictions are not against trolls - they easily can get required number of posts in newbies section Roll Eyes
Activity: 14
August 09, 2011, 10:13:24 AM
If only everyone could play nice we would not need such rules..Respect is an age old adage that is mostly forgotten these days in the forms I was raised on.  This is my 5th post and doing my time. Still finding the process apinfully slow for an old reneck with no patience,,,OK now I will lie around the yard for another hour and its on full blast....
Activity: 1
August 09, 2011, 02:28:21 AM
Trolls are *so* annoying, spoiling it for the rest of us!
August 08, 2011, 11:55:56 PM
I see most here stating the restrictions are not high enough.  I'd like to say the opposite.  Bitcointalk should be about communication.  I find forcing new users to spam five posts in this forum degrading.  It potentially leaves a bad taste in the new users mouth.

I understand the problem, but, there should be a better way to approach it.  For example limit one account per IP type thing.  Tor/I2p/Proxy users would be sad, but, that is where 99% of your spam is coming from in the first place.  Alternatively if you detect a multi-ip account (aka from Tor) then force them into the "newbie" class and to jump through these (even more restrict) hoops; fresh/first IP users should be exempt from this and go straight to JrMember.

An alternative here would also be to set up interfaces to the forums from I2P and Tor - I don't know anything about Tor hidden services, but for I2P at least it is possible to uniquely identify visitors (anonymously) with destination hashes instead of IPs, and the changes required to utilize them are normally trivial.
Activity: 12
August 08, 2011, 06:29:35 PM
What kind of trolling happened? I was a lurker on the forums since May and frequently surf the mining and economics forums. I was pretty surprised when I couldn't post a reply, or even PM a mod about the problem!
August 08, 2011, 02:58:59 PM
I see most here stating the restrictions are not high enough.  I'd like to say the opposite.  Bitcointalk should be about communication.  I find forcing new users to spam five posts in this forum degrading.  It potentially leaves a bad taste in the new users mouth.

I understand the problem, but, there should be a better way to approach it.  For example limit one account per IP type thing.  Tor/I2p/Proxy users would be sad, but, that is where 99% of your spam is coming from in the first place.  Alternatively if you detect a multi-ip account (aka from Tor) then force them into the "newbie" class and to jump through these (even more restrict) hoops; fresh/first IP users should be exempt from this and go straight to JrMember.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
August 08, 2011, 03:05:17 AM
This rules are for our own good, we'll benefit on this in the end.
Activity: 21
August 07, 2011, 06:12:00 PM
Thats true, i think a higher post count should be enforced along with some system of phone verification
August 07, 2011, 04:28:44 PM
Even though I am a newbie and wish I could start posting everywhere immediately, I think those restrictions are not quite hard enough..
From lurking on the other forums, it seems that there are still a ton of trolls..
Activity: 17
August 07, 2011, 03:58:42 PM
OK, so this is the fifth of my, and now eait couple of hours... :-)
Activity: 15
August 06, 2011, 10:03:11 PM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.
- You need 50 posts to put an image in your signature.

Note that it may take up to 10 minutes for your PM or posting permissions to be granted.

Nevermind.. I see the 4 hours + 5 posts..

BTW this is my post #5... can I be established now..

KAF
Activity: 7
August 06, 2011, 08:36:41 AM
i also favor the captcha or the "moderated posts" approach!
the current situation is really annoying... most newbies are eager to join discussions and simply lose interest by the time they finally get to be a fully qualified member.
Jump to: