Author

Topic: Number 9! Ninth altcoin thread. Back to the moon Baby! - page 139. (Read 66174 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
The Eth devs are so paralyzed by fear and indecision that I don't put any faith in anything from them until after it happens.

Yeah pretty much the truth.

Morons.

I haven't trusted eth from the very beginning because of it's author's, it's security (to me its on the same level of trust as Adobe flash and Java), and it's centralization.... not to mention the circulating supply growth.

I am truly amazed it went from 10-1000, and i really don't expect it to last forever....   then again, Adobe flash is still a thing coming close to 2020.....

Ethereum seems to be pretty decentralized in terms of hashrate, its why its good that its mostly GPU mineable which anyone can do. However I do agree that the rich list is very centralized. There are a handful few which control most of the coins. Its why I am not happy how it was essentially an ICO before the launch.

The security however I think its very bad because of the complexity of the coin. Basically you can compare Bitcoin to an old Mercedes Diesel from the 1980s which can go on to a million miles and you can compare Ethereum to a brand new state of the art Mercedes S class from 2019. Sure the car will have many features that the 1980s diesel doesn't however if it keeps breaking down then what is the overall point. They had that DAO hack, that smart control bug which has millions of frozen coins and other issues with the coin. Can't really trust all your life savings with ETH.

I also never expected it to hit $1400, if I did I would of never sold the bulk of all my ETH holdings at like $20 or so.
Activity: 449
Merit: 24
Here is what was said at todays meeting:

There is still another audit on ProgPoW pending completion, as noted by Jameson during today’s meeting.

“[Bob Rao] is doing a very extensive hardware audit,” Jameson said. “Bob’s audit should be coming out very soon. It’s in final stages [and] is going to answer a lot more of the questions and speculations around ProgPoW.”
The testnet launch of ethereum’s Istanbul system-wide upgrade has been set.

“For anyone listening in who doesn’t know how this works, we pick a block number that we estimate to be around the 2nd of October,”
testnet october, live november
scheduled at least
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
The Eth devs are so paralyzed by fear and indecision that I don't put any faith in anything from them until after it happens.

Morons.

I haven't trusted eth from the very beginning because of it's author's, it's security (to me its on the same level of trust as Adobe flash and Java), and it's centralization.... not to mention the circulating supply growth.

I am truly amazed it went from 10-1000, and i really don't expect it to last forever....   then again, Adobe flash is still a thing coming close to 2020.....
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

Morons.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
legendary
No idea if this is fake news or not but according to some news article found on Tradingview, it looks like the ProgPOW audit was completed and infavor of switching to a new algo.

And they will include the new algo in the fork after this fork sometime at the beginning of 2020. Anyone got any concrete source for this or is it all speculation as before

I read the same, this would be huge.  kicking off ASICs and giving GPUs a great way to spread out hash.  

Upon more investigation I am not sure the news is accurate.

I've went to ethereum reddit, ethermining reddit and tried a few different sources and nothing is confirmed about the algo implementation for ProgPOW.

I think all these news articles write unconfirmed information and they are just guessing and assuming that since the audit was positive, then they have to implement it in the next hard-fork however why I'm I not seeing anything from the eth developers? This is huge news and huge bad news for the ASIC community, so why isn't anyone talking about it.
No idea if this is fake news or not but according to some news article found on Tradingview, it looks like the ProgPOW audit was completed and infavor of switching to a new algo.

And they will include the new algo in the fork after this fork sometime at the beginning of 2020. Anyone got any concrete source for this or is it all speculation as before

I read the same, this would be huge.  kicking off ASICs and giving GPUs a great way to spread out hash.  
legendary

And they will include the new algo in the fork after this fork sometime at the beginning of 2020. Anyone got any concrete source for this or is it all speculation as before?

Looks like my RX 470 4GB should get like 10MH/s or so. So might finally power them up again eventually. Seems like the Nvidia GPUs will be the winners for this algo however.
Anyone know if the old ETH ASICs will be able to mine ETH or will they need to build new ASICs? Since ProgPOW just levels the playing field and doesn't get rid of them entirely.
Activity: 186
Merit: 4
the 5700 does/will have pcie 4.0 no? id be inclined to convert from 1080tis

It has. But what is it good for? I'm running a 1080ti on pcie 8x set to gen2 and framerates in games are the same.
The 5700 does use way less power than a 1080ti so there's that.
Activity: 76
Merit: 3
the 5700 does/will have pcie 4.0 no? id be inclined to convert from 1080tis
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
Are any of you guys in this thread testing out mining with NAVI (RX 5700 series) with the new AMD driver that just came out?

Thinking to replace my 1080tis for 5700s. I could make $100 per replacement, save some power and get another 3 year warranty while retaining the same hash rate.

I think the 1080Ti will keep much of its value 3 years from now than a new 5700 would - so depreciation wise it's better to stick with the 1080Ti unless you have bad energy rates or thermal issues.
Activity: 610
Merit: 265
Are any of you guys in this thread testing out mining with NAVI (RX 5700 series) with the new AMD driver that just came out?

Thinking to replace my 1080tis for 5700s. I could make $100 per replacement, save some power and get another 3 year warranty while retaining the same hash rate.
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
nah I havent touched an 5700 yet.  Waiting for the rest of the lineup.  Claymore has not updated his miner but people say they get about 50-55mhs on ETH for 150watts or so.  Still too expensive on a $ per hash metric vs an RX470. 
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
legendary
Anyone know whats the deal with Nicehash,  Ive been always mining to an external address, they don't say
anything about what happens after sept 10,  do they just transfer everything over or do I lose everything + the rest of
the bitcoin owed to me when they got hacked? cause I don't have an email attached to my address?

If you load the newest miner you can just put the same address in and I think it will work for you.

I have three old addresses owed coins I will test it out.
Activity: 94
Merit: 5
Anyone know whats the deal with Nicehash,  Ive been always mining to an external address, they don't say
anything about what happens after sept 10,  do they just transfer everything over or do I lose everything + the rest of
the bitcoin owed to me when they got hacked? cause I don't have an email attached to my address?
legendary
I think you are worrying for nothing. Most of those tainted coins are some Chinese drug lords and I am pretty sure they wouldn't bother buying any mining gear. If they really wanted some mining gear for some odd reason, I think they would just buy some new ASICs or GPUs instead of something second hand.

Also say they wanted to sell some of their BTC privately doing a person to person meet. Some new adopter decides to buy some bitcoin from them and they are sent the tainted coins. Those coins then would get tainted and might get flagged by some exchange however most people aren't going to check prior to a person to person crypto meet where the coins are coming from. Its not illegal doing a person to person meet unless its for a large transaction. So the buyer did nothing illegal here.

This is no different than someone selling a car to a drug dealer and that cash was original used as a drug money. The buyer has no idea the person was a drug dealer and no way to tell where the funds came out. Will the police come and take the cash away from the seller? Probably not.

I check the listed addresses and I have decided that buying and selling coins directly to a major exchange would be safe to do.
legendary
I think you are worrying for nothing. Most of those tainted coins are some Chinese drug lords and I am pretty sure they wouldn't bother buying any mining gear. If they really wanted some mining gear for some odd reason, I think they would just buy some new ASICs or GPUs instead of something second hand.

Also say they wanted to sell some of their BTC privately doing a person to person meet. Some new adopter decides to buy some bitcoin from them and they are sent the tainted coins. Those coins then would get tainted and might get flagged by some exchange however most people aren't going to check prior to a person to person crypto meet where the coins are coming from. Its not illegal doing a person to person meet unless its for a large transaction. So the buyer did nothing illegal here.

This is no different than someone selling a car to a drug dealer and that cash was original used as a drug money. The buyer has no idea the person was a drug dealer and no way to tell where the funds came out. Will the police come and take the cash away from the seller? Probably not.
legendary
I think you guys are getting paranoid, but it also seems like a good case for privacy coins.

Yes it is a bit paranoid and everyone is from China on the list.

But my wonderful prez has decided to up the anti with more tariffs against China and China has upped the tariffs back.

So things seem to be moving into unfriendliness as I type.

I also will most likely alter all my crypto business practices to avoid yet another pitfall that has seemed to appear this summer.

I've changed my process also using privacy coins for all my transactions and moving mining profits.  Not to cheat but the less info the better.

Yes I am holding mining longer before I move it around.

Thus reducing transactions by a power of 10.

Ie I wait ten days before I pull coins out of mining pool and put in coinbase.
I then do no coinbase pro.  Just all coinbase.  These two things will reduce my transactions 20x

Also no more coin to coin transactions as each one now needs to be listed to figure cap gains even if I never go to cash.

So instead of 10 deposits to coin base there is one. And then one to cash it. Ie two entry lines.

Old way was 10 deposits maybe move to coinbase pro 10 times then move around a few coins btc to ltc to eth then to cash then to bank.  About 40 transactions which need reporting.

In both cases the profits are close to the same. One way is two transactions other one is forty.

I think you guys are getting paranoid, but it also seems like a good case for privacy coins.

Yes it is a bit paranoid and everyone is from China on the list.

But my wonderful prez has decided to up the anti with more tariffs against China and China has upped the tariffs back.

So things seem to be moving into unfriendliness as I type.

I also will most likely alter all my crypto business practices to avoid yet another pitfall that has seemed to appear this summer.

I've changed my process also using privacy coins for all my transactions and moving mining profits.  Not to cheat but the less info the better.
Jump to: