Author

Topic: Number 9! Ninth altcoin thread. Back to the moon Baby! - page 149. (Read 66172 times)

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
Wouldn't just using the Coinbase VISA card accomplish the same thing? Maybe fees higher, and you'd need a physical card, but otherwise isn't it essentially the same?

The shift card service was cancelled a month or two ago.

They are most-likely working to form a new scheme for having the service.

I will admit;  the market-rate zero-fee purchases with the original shift card were superb.

I literally lived off mining profits for over a year using it.
Activity: 72
Merit: 11

Yes this was actually introduced during the conference back in May. From what I recall it added fire to the already crazy bull-run we had back in May.

Good that you posted this because at the time, the app was only available to reporters and other testing personnel.  But right now it looks like you can actually use it if you got a iPhone.

Reading the reviews on the app store, they are mostly mixed. Basically people either rate it a 5 or a 1. Will download it and see if its any good and hopefully won't be any issues while trying to actually use it to pay.

Wouldn't just using the Coinbase VISA card accomplish the same thing? Maybe fees higher, and you'd need a physical card, but otherwise isn't it essentially the same?
Activity: 85
Merit: 6

Yes this was actually introduced during the conference back in May. From what I recall it added fire to the already crazy bull-run we had back in May.

Good that you posted this because at the time, the app was only available to reporters and other testing personnel.  But right now it looks like you can actually use it if you got a iPhone.

Reading the reviews on the app store, they are mostly mixed. Basically people either rate it a 5 or a 1. Will download it and see if its any good and hopefully won't be any issues while trying to actually use it to pay.

Great. I have an android- so can't download it yet. keep us posted.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

It was pretty hilarious; a friend who hadnt talked to me in a year or two, recently sent me that link ans asked if it was me......  gave me a good laugh...
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'

a space heater on low 335 watts costs $1.20 a day to run at 15 cent power.

with current prices  and diff this makes $0.24 a day to run at 15 cent power.

cost assuming you have a s-9 and a psu is about 25 dollars.

highlights are all good and it uses 335 watts at 40-45db
Once I add wedges I am hoping it drops in temps and maybe sound

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Oh crap I just noticed that the website selling all those Delta fans sell them "unterminated"... i.e. only with a red and a black wire:
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/AFB1212VHE/603-1339-ND/2560463

That won't fly with molex. Or I'll have to do soldering work a zillion times... Sad
Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Any other suggestions when it comes to strong 120mm fans to move the air through 4U chassis?

Any of the Delta AFB series in the 140-200 CFM range are pretty quiet - and the AFB series don't have the high pitched whine of the FFB series.
Had a bunch of them in my Innosilicon A2s, kept them when I finally got around to scrapping out the A2s and they're now doing "push LOTS of air through the air filter assembly from the window" duty.
Thanks for the suggestion, Quintleo. These look perfect. Found some that have more cfm than the Scythe variants at similar dbA rating. They seem to be in stock over here too which could prove useful! Grin
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Where was this optimism in jan 2017 when eth was 6 $ and btc ~ 600-1k ?

I might be misremembering but wasn't Bitcoin over $2000 and more like $2500 in that timeframe?

826-1000  Jan 1 2017 to Jan 31 2017   and maybe it did go lower then 826 that month

At poop135

I just put those 113 delta's into my s-9 heater project

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/what-to-do-with-all-the-old-s-9s-5160194
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Where was this optimism in jan 2017 when eth was 6 $ and btc ~ 600-1k ?

I might be misremembering but wasn't Bitcoin over $2000 and more like $2500 in that timeframe?

Any other suggestions when it comes to strong 120mm fans to move the air through 4U chassis?

Any of the Delta AFB series in the 140-200 CFM range are pretty quiet - and the AFB series don't have the high pitched whine of the FFB series.
Had a bunch of them in my Innosilicon A2s, kept them when I finally got around to scrapping out the A2s and they're now doing "push LOTS of air through the air filter assembly from the window" duty.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
open air for me too.

GPUs are zip tied to racks.

the room is the case and the windows are the exhaust.

Started my GPU farms like the above in 2016 and never looked back - ease of maintenance is the key.

Dust is the only pitfall though - I gave up on this long time ago and most of my 470/480 rigs still running at peak non-stop eventhough they are bloody dusty and grimy.

Well ..... as long as critical parts still works fine like fans for PSU, GPU and CPU - will just leave them alone. All of them are well ROIed several times over, so just leave them alone.

ease of maintenance you say?

how about real time (powered on and mining) pulling off slow spin/not spinning GPU fans and re oiling-plugging back in fans? hehe

no need to keep the area squeaky clean, for me i'm just making sure dust build up does not come close to possible "harmful" level to electronics----> i just come inside the room semi naked with face mask and a blower.. blowing the dust that accumulated in the electronics  (all powered on and mining) Grin

Most of the Gigabyte RX470s fans died premature death - I had to replace several dozens of them. The Sapphire ones are very good and lasts longer - most still running since 2016. The motherboards (circa 2016/17 ASrock Pro BTC) are beyond recognition - the dust and grime probably evolved into a protection layer for the electronics thus still running until today. I should take a pics next time - we should start a most "dirtiest GPU warrior rig" pix contest.

In all the years that I was mining. I've never had a motherboard, CPU, or RAM ever fail on me.

The parts which have the highest failure rate are the GPU fans, then maybe the GPUs itself, then the Risers, then the PSUs, then the harddrives.

The most reliable GPUs I've had were the cheap and loud Reference GPUs from all generations. Don't think I've ever had one fail.
The most reliable PSU was probably the cheap $40 Corsair 750CW. Had tons of those and suprisingly it never failed while my Gold rated 1600W did fail. Ironic.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
open air for me too.

Started my GPU farms like the above in 2016 and never looked back - ease of maintenance is the key.

Dust is the only pitfall though - I gave up on this long time ago and most of my 470/480 rigs still running at peak non-stop eventhough they are bloody dusty and grimy.

Well ..... as long as critical parts still works fine like fans for PSU, GPU and CPU - will just leave them alone. All of them are well ROIed several times over, so just leave them alone.

how about real time (powered on and mining) pulling off slow spin/not spinning GPU fans and re oiling-plugging back in fans? hehe

no need to keep the area squeaky clean, for me i'm just making sure dust build up does not come close to possible "harmful" level to electronics----> i just come inside the room semi naked with face mask and a blower.. blowing the dust that accumulated in the electronics  (all powered on and mining) Grin

Most of the Gigabyte RX470s fans died premature death - I had to replace several dozens of them. The Sapphire ones are very good and lasts longer - most still running since 2016. The motherboards (circa 2016/17 ASrock Pro BTC) are beyond recognition - the dust and grime probably evolved into a protection layer for the electronics thus still running until today. I should take a pics next time - we should start a most "dirtiest GPU warrior rig" pix contest.

My wife's office is owned by a cheap landlord who doesn't bother to put a filter on the 60 ton HVACs - consequently I get these nasty little grey fibers all over everything. It got so bad that I weighed the weight of the matted fibers that I pulled out of a 6 card rig that ran for 1 year. All fibers from GPU fans, CPU fan, PSU fan and caked all over the motherboard and wood rig frame came in at 196 grams. That's fiber weight - not counting the dust that I blew out after removing the fibers.

I've had my hands in people's orifices before but this...this was nasty!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
open air for me too.

Activity: 72
Merit: 11
open air for me too.

I once thought of using some of those enclosed IKEA clothes racks. They are sold on Ikea (I couldn't find it on their website) for like $25 or something. The idea was to position the rack near a window , cut open holes at the back, near the bottom for intake, and one for hot exhaust at the top. Then place rigs inside it. That way it would be an enclosed system, while still using outside air for cooling. It also wouldn't look insanely ugly.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/ikea-clothes-hanger-rack-207248788/

Never got into executing this plan though. For now I have my miners in the patio with box fans blowing at them.

i just come inside the room semi naked with face mask and a blower.. blowing the dust that accumulated in the electronics  (all powered on and mining) Grin

LOL nice mental image there.

Very Breaking Badesque (my retinas will never forget the "Methlab-RV" outside scenes with Mr. White)
i just come inside the room semi naked with face mask and a blower.. blowing the dust that accumulated in the electronics  (all powered on and mining) Grin

LOL nice mental image there.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
open air for me too.

Jump to: