Author

Topic: Number 9! Ninth altcoin thread. Back to the moon Baby! - page 150. (Read 66172 times)

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

Started my GPU farms like the above in 2016 and never looked back - ease of maintenance is the key.

Dust is the only pitfall though - I gave up on this long time ago and most of my 470/480 rigs still running at peak non-stop eventhough they are bloody dusty and grimy.

Well ..... as long as critical parts still works fine like fans for PSU, GPU and CPU - will just leave them alone. All of them are well ROIed several times over, so just leave them alone.

I protected my rig with simple strainer mounted by aluminum tape. It's very cheap and really protect from dust and pollen. Just need to cleaning up them by vacuum cleaner once per week or two
Activity: 1123
using a short length of dryer ducting; if the inlet is long enough with a few bends, the hum is completely missing.  with the same on the outlet, you can plumb it right to an external vent.   I was able to run an S7 in an RV I lived in;  for over a year.  Never heard it;  Just kept an eye on it.

You can get PVC coated exhaust hoses pretty cheap and they muffle noise and insulate heat a lot better than just aluminum alone.  

An example of what i use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791TKB51/
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
open air for me too.

GPUs are zip tied to racks.

the room is the case and the windows are the exhaust.

Started my GPU farms like the above in 2016 and never looked back - ease of maintenance is the key.

Dust is the only pitfall though - I gave up on this long time ago and most of my 470/480 rigs still running at peak non-stop eventhough they are bloody dusty and grimy.

Well ..... as long as critical parts still works fine like fans for PSU, GPU and CPU - will just leave them alone. All of them are well ROIed several times over, so just leave them alone.

I will run all my

gtx 1080ti's -------- 12 left
AMD vega 56 -------- 4 left
till they die.
they are paid off in full multiple times.

the 1660 and 3 1660ti's are not paid off but they do earn a profit 
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
open air for me too.

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
my buddy wants to send me a couple S9 SE's from Australia....  IF that happens I may actually put another ASIC back online sometime soon...

I do plan on jumping on an R606 or two when I have the spare funds.   Wanna get a few lottery machines set up for my parents;  they have 5.8Kw of grid tied solar at home, and I would use it to run them during the day while charging a battery, and at night, it would run off the battery not taking from the grid like the house does Wink

When I get one to keep at home;  Ill actually work out a battery/charge controller/solar/inverter setup sized to handle a single R606;  This way you can set up an independent 'satellite' miner system similar to the setup my buddy and I had come up with for GPU rigs in 2017.... if you hook it to Wifi;  it would be completely wireless and independent.
legendary
I like open air and most of my GPUs rigs in the past were all open air, but I agree with the above poster.

Enclosed and closed GPU rigs are better because in the summer the heat won't stay in your house, you basically just use a tube and force the air outside.

With Antminers its easy to force the air outside, you just zip-tie some tubes to the exhaust fans and you are done but you can't do that with a GPU rig thats open air. You can put a fan in front of it and put it next to the window but some of the heat will enter the house. Only way to do it right is to put it in a server 4U chassis and all the heat, except maybe the heat of the case will be exhausted outside and you save on AC costs from heating up your home.
...and the next challenge is going to be to find enough Scythe Ultra Kaze fans... They seem to be almost out of stock everywhere I look around here. Any other suggestions when it comes to strong 120mm fans to move the air through 4U chassis?

some lower speed deltas are good.

let me find a link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254276232528?ViewItem=&item=254276232528

these move a lot of air  150 cfm 51db

the ones below are quieter 113 cfm 46db

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-16-Delta-Electronics-AFC1212D-120x120x25mm-Cooling-Fan/372686476791?

I use 2 of the lower speed ones in my 1 card s-9 heaters'

full size

https://i.imgur.com/6gDU3Gx.png

this is fairly quiet and pretty efficient.

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
I like open air and most of my GPUs rigs in the past were all open air, but I agree with the above poster.

Enclosed and closed GPU rigs are better because in the summer the heat won't stay in your house, you basically just use a tube and force the air outside.

With Antminers its easy to force the air outside, you just zip-tie some tubes to the exhaust fans and you are done but you can't do that with a GPU rig thats open air. You can put a fan in front of it and put it next to the window but some of the heat will enter the house. Only way to do it right is to put it in a server 4U chassis and all the heat, except maybe the heat of the case will be exhausted outside and you save on AC costs from heating up your home.
...and the next challenge is going to be to find enough Scythe Ultra Kaze fans... They seem to be almost out of stock everywhere I look around here. Any other suggestions when it comes to strong 120mm fans to move the air through 4U chassis?
legendary

using a short length of dryer ducting; if the inlet is long enough with a few bends, the hum is completely missing.  with the same on the outlet, you can plumb it right to an external vent.   I was able to run an S7 in an RV I lived in;  for over a year.  Never heard it;  Just kept an eye on it.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

Activity: 72
Merit: 11
Most of my gear is open air.

My 1080tis are making over 2 dollars a day.

Not bad.

I sold most GPUs.

My in house is making 20 a day burning 8 so 12 net.

My hosted gear is making 20 a day I split the coins 10 net so 22 a day on paid off gear

Open air for the win

The few R7's I own are currently on Dagger Hashimoto, each making around $2.26 on ETH (0.00693 ETH) per day. About 10 cents less on ETC. Power is $0.62, so each one is netting $1.64 a day on ETH. ROI at 414 days. Not exactly great, but it's good enough for me to encourage a hobby. Most of my ETH I exchange to BTC, and some to other coins and patiently wait for a payday to happen.. which, judging by how markets are behaving, may be sooner than I expected.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
open air for me too.

I've only had open air rigs thus far, but the closed/boxed versions have other advantages: air can be funneled through more efficiently, and the cases can be easily stacked, making it easier to get more rigs in smaller areas. I'm gonna order one of the xcases right now to test it out.
legendary
Most of my gear is open air.

My 1080tis are making over 2 dollars a day.

Not bad.

I sold most GPUs.

My in house is making 20 a day burning 8 so 12 net.

My hosted gear is making 20 a day I split the coins 10 net so 22 a day on paid off gear

Open air for the win
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
Open air for the win
Thanks guys. Those Rosewill cases are not available locally here in the UK, which means they'd slap $70+ shipping and $35+ import taxes on them if I ordered them from the States which is just not gonna happen.

I saw Spottswood's cases/brackets too, but same problem here basically. I'll have to see what I can source locally.

Just a quick search on amazon.  I can't see the shipping costs, and I guess you'll have to pay a premium for not having to mod them yourself and hope the included fans aren't garbage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/19-Inch-Server-Housing-4HE-deep/dp/B07BGCHGHQ/

You'll have to drill holes in the support bar to fit more than 6 GPU's for this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-GPU-Mining-Rig-Server-Case/dp/B078WNDZLQ/

This doesn't look too bad, but only room for 6GPU's. 
https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/mining-chassis-and-cases/products/minestation-3-mining-case-4u-6-cards-space-for-6-fans
Ooooh I like the xcase one, pretty much exactly what I'd be looking for. Anything above 6 GPUs is going to create problems (more PSU cables, more expensive Motherboards, potentially more problems with the OS & mining software, more heat inside the case to dissipate etc etc) so 6 is probably bang on. Thanks for that link, I'll probably order one case and test it out first.
Activity: 1123
Thanks guys. Those Rosewill cases are not available locally here in the UK, which means they'd slap $70+ shipping and $35+ import taxes on them if I ordered them from the States which is just not gonna happen.

I saw Spottswood's cases/brackets too, but same problem here basically. I'll have to see what I can source locally.

Just a quick search on amazon.  I can't see the shipping costs, and I guess you'll have to pay a premium for not having to mod them yourself and hope the included fans aren't garbage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/19-Inch-Server-Housing-4HE-deep/dp/B07BGCHGHQ/

You'll have to drill holes in the support bar to fit more than 6 GPU's for this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-GPU-Mining-Rig-Server-Case/dp/B078WNDZLQ/

This doesn't look too bad, but only room for 6GPU's. 
https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/mining-chassis-and-cases/products/minestation-3-mining-case-4u-6-cards-space-for-6-fans

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
Picked up a 2080 TI and 2080 to play around with.. man the software support for these is BAD currently..
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
This is also very similiar to my Antec Server 4U case, it definately wasn't meant for 6+ GPUs because it requires alot of modding to make it work. I had to add a metal rod so it would hold the GPUs and for each of the 5 GPUs (you can do 6 even) I had to make a mounting point so they can be secured to the bottom of the case. Took alot of work.

Bought even another one of these cases but don't want to put in all the labour to make it mining ready so I just run 4 GPUs on it and the temps are OK without the intake fans being too loud.

But if you plan on building a few of these server GPU rigs you should just buy a prebuilt 4U chassis mining case because it will save you the headaches. If you are cheap and good with machine work then you can just do it yourself like me.
legendary
Found this thing on Amazon UK...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codegen-600mm-4U-Rack-Mount/dp/B008IB9TFA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=codegen+4u&qid=1561375860&s=gateway&sr=8-1

How much modding would you think is necessary to accomodate 6 GPUs? It's ATX compatible, if the front bays are removable (looks like they should be) one can just stick 120mm fans in there. I suppose the only thing would be a transversal bar to fix the GPUs at the front (and maybe a second underneath to support them on the risers)?

That looks a lot like the Rosewill case. There is a mining version of it:

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Solution-Building-Ethereum/dp/B074F4CXJX

I use the old 4U Rosewill cases for some of my miners along with custom aluminum frame to support the GPUs and fans (front exhaust). I will try to dig up a link for the guy who makes them.

EDIT:
Here is that link for the drop in bracket for the Rosewill case:

http://spotswoodcomputercases.com/wp/?page_id=9176

100% behind spotswood's frames.   I bought one for my D8P and couldn't have been happier.

Be sure to check the case depth (front to back) as there are a few models/lengths of that case, and depending on what GPU's you use, you may or not have room for everything (figuring in PSU and motherboard depth) unless you get the big long 4U case.
Jump to: