Pages:
Author

Topic: Obama or Romney ? - page 12. (Read 21126 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
October 16, 2012, 10:38:59 PM
The fact that you identify easily verifiable facts as 'things that simply couldn't be true' should give you some insight into the fact that you've been marketed into liking Obama. Please think about it.
Then perhaps you can tell me which loopholes Romney could possibly close that would make his proposed tax cut revenue neutral.

I don't think Romney said closing loopholes is the only method to achieve his goal. Though he does have a record of closing loopholes in MA, he closed 22 state tax loopholes while he's governor of MA, as a result MA has a rather balanced budget while most other states were doing quite poorly in terms of budget. Romney is a business genius, I'd rather believe he has a few tricks up his sleeves.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
October 16, 2012, 08:36:15 PM
The fact that you identify easily verifiable facts as 'things that simply couldn't be true' should give you some insight into the fact that you've been marketed into liking Obama. Please think about it.
Then perhaps you can tell me which loopholes Romney could possibly close that would make his proposed tax cut revenue neutral.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3
October 16, 2012, 07:29:14 PM
In honor of the debate tonight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WpMPu5p_QXU

Lmao never seen that before, love it.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
October 16, 2012, 06:58:38 PM
It was odd. I watched the entire debate and I didn't think that Romney "won". To me, he came across as a bully and he kept insisting on things that simply couldn't be true.

I think Obama was definitely trying to play it safe and be conservative and not risk any major blunder that Romney could capitalize on. As a result, he didn't really appear as strong as he could have. Maybe that's what everyone else was picking up on.

Or maybe their expectations for Romney were just insanely low.

Granted Obama seemed a bit shy... probably because his advisors are telling him that if he makes any huge mistakes he runs the risk of catapulting Romney into total victory. But when it comes right down to it, Romney actually knew things and Obama didn't.

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002
October 16, 2012, 11:42:42 AM
In honor of the debate tonight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WpMPu5p_QXU

legendary
October 16, 2012, 09:56:51 AM
Based on the exclusive 2-party debate between Obama and Romney (well, the first 45 minutes anyway), I was slightly surprised that Romney did much better than Obama. Based on Internet anecdotes, I was expecting Romney to be more of a "used car salesman" with shiny gold teeth and a twinkle in his eye.
It was odd. I watched the entire debate and I didn't think that Romney "won". To me, he came across as a bully and he kept insisting on things that simply couldn't be true.

I think Obama was definitely trying to play it safe and be conservative and not risk any major blunder that Romney could capitalize on. As a result, he didn't really appear as strong as he could have. Maybe that's what everyone else was picking up on.

Or maybe their expectations for Romney were just insanely low.
Activity: 574
October 16, 2012, 09:26:00 AM
If you think Obama will continue the same things Bush was doing, then what do you think Romney is going to do?

Romney will try to capitalize on his victory by pushing interests of select few.

He will remove payroll tax cut - he will increase tax on all employees.
He will try to remove / reduce capital gain and dividends tax cuts.
legendary
October 16, 2012, 09:18:18 AM
Really you just have your choice of liars. On what is quite possibly the most serious issue where a President can actually make a difference -- Executive invocation of the State Secrets doctrine to hide the Federal Government from public scrutiny -- Obama promised to end the Bush practice of widespread invocation and "run the most transparent administration in history". Instead, Obama has launched a war on whistle blowers, prosecuting people for leaking classified information to the press twice as much in just his first term as all other previous administrations combined.
Tell me which president didn't break a single campaign promise? Romney is outright lying. Yes, Obama is status quo, he didn't change much Bush's policies. The change that Obama promised never happened.
This is not a case of breaking a single campaign promise. This is a total change in direction and philosophy on the second-biggest issue facing our nation.

If you think Obama will continue the same things Bush was doing, then what do you think Romney is going to do?
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
October 16, 2012, 09:05:42 AM
Really you just have your choice of liars. On what is quite possibly the most serious issue where a President can actually make a difference -- Executive invocation of the State Secrets doctrine to hide the Federal Government from public scrutiny -- Obama promised to end the Bush practice of widespread invocation and "run the most transparent administration in history". Instead, Obama has launched a war on whistle blowers, prosecuting people for leaking classified information to the press twice as much in just his first term as all other previous administrations combined.

Tell me which president didn't break a single campaign promise? Romney is outright lying. Yes, Obama is status quo, he didn't change much Bush's policies. The change that Obama promised never happened.

Q: How can you tell when a politician is lying?
A: When his lips are moving.

Therefore, don't vote for the politician.

M
October 16, 2012, 08:59:14 AM

legendary
October 16, 2012, 07:47:27 AM
Debating Obama vs Romney is a waste of time, if not it's poor entertainment. I would have hoped peoples of this forum knew better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgFXO522NU&feature=player_detailpage#t=28s

I am shitting on both of them. But Romney is MUCH worse than Obama. I prefer status quo over a liar.

Obama released the famous "torture memos" in 2009. However, his own legal opinions justifying the drone strikes have never been released and he continues to refuse to release them.

http://www.salon.com/2009/02/10/obama_88/
See this article for more on how Obama completely abandoned his most important campaign promise -- to end the abuses Bush started.

(Of course, I certainly don't think a Romney administration would fix this.)

Activity: 752
bitcoin hodler
October 16, 2012, 07:17:06 AM
let's hope the economy won't crush so bad that there will be mayhem, because then without internet we wouldn't have much use for BTC...
October 16, 2012, 05:33:39 AM
Debating Obama vs Romney is a waste of time, if not it's poor entertainment. I would have hoped peoples of this forum knew better.

I am shitting on both of them. But Romney is MUCH worse than Obama. I prefer status quo over a liar.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
October 16, 2012, 01:28:11 AM

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
October 15, 2012, 09:27:11 PM
Prisoners: Bring back the chain gang. I don't care if they're digging holes & moving dirt across the field to fill in the hole they dug yesterday... but work them and work them hard. It's supposed to be punishment, no more cable tv - air conditioning or any sort of luxuries. 3 meals a day, a Cot in a 4x7 cell, pillow/blanket and toilet paper should be it. As for the quality of food - I'd probably use that as an incentive program - you're basic (for someone in solitary) is oatmeal, some sort of meat on bread and soup. Update the food based on job performance. At that point the most profitable prisons would be the ones doing the most useful work.

+1

M
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
October 15, 2012, 05:56:41 PM
Activity: 489
October 15, 2012, 05:55:46 PM
Gary Johnson.  Grin
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
October 15, 2012, 05:49:54 PM
I'd like some clarification on one point, though... How, exactly is opening the borders "just... insane"?

Sorry but if you are seriously thinking that "open borders" is not insane, you are seriously out of touch with reality. There's basically billions of people in the world that would kill to be living in America, once you open your borders, these people will rush in, now instead of tens of millions of unskilled illegals, you'll have hundreds of millions, or even billions. That's a quick path to disaster-ville.

You wouldn't have hundreds of millions of illegals, you would have hundreds of millions of immigrants. The time periods where the US has had lots of immigration have been some of the most prosperous times. And they're hardly all unskilled, either. Now, quit with the fear-mongering, and listen to some reason.

As for the tax, yes, rich people can save more. You're neglecting the fact that with no income or capital gains taxes, the poor will also be able to save more. A minimum wage worker would, on average, get a 15-20% larger check. And you cannot deny that the rich consume more. because they consume more, they will be paying more taxes.

Being rich, in itself, does not incur a debt to society. Unless that wealth was gotten illegitimately, any debt to society has already been paid, and the wealth is the visible result of paying that debt. Bill Gates, for instance. How did he get his money? Very likely, by putting the operating system that you're currently using onto your computer. (less likely here than elsewhere, but no less true for that) Bill Gates got his money by providing a product that people wanted. If nobody wanted any Microsoft products, Gates would be broke. The same is true for almost every rich person out there. They got rich by providing goods or services. If they had not already served society, they would not have the money. So stop being so jealous that you didn't provide those goods or services.

Neither fear nor jealousy are pretty emotions, and you should not be displaying them so openly.

That makes sense.  I'd say that prisons should be governmentally funded and owned for the reasons you mentioned then.

The problem is not the fact that the prisons are private. It's that they are private corporations with government granted monopoly. Since they have no competition (and certainly, their "customers" get no choice in the matter), and their only obligation is to the shareholders, They don't have the prisoners' best interests at heart.

The solution, of course, is the same as any other industry dominated by a big monopoly that's fucking it's customers. Open it up to competition, and let the market decide.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
October 15, 2012, 05:48:34 PM
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
October 15, 2012, 04:09:07 PM
- Privatized prisons would be interesting... certainly, they could do it more efficiently than the government if nothing else!  Of course, in my opinion, prisoners don't deserve anything more than a 5x5 cell with a drain in the middle and a bowl of mush twice a day.  My prison would be incredibly cheap to operate.  It's probably a good thing I don't operate one, because it just rubs me the wrong way when prisoners have big screen TV's and Playstation 3's and good hot meals to eat, when many people who actually work for a living can't claim the same.

Many prisons in the United States are already privatized.  This creates a issue because it is in the corporation operating the prison's best interest to keep their cots full since they get paid per head.  To that end they lobby for laws that supply more heads for them to charge the customer (the government) for.  For example: http://colorlines.com/archives/2010/10/arizonas_draconian_and_constitutionally_suspect.html

Sure, they might be able to house the same number of prisoners for less money, but if they are using their profits to "reinvest" by turning more people into criminals, than that is a problem.  In the end, it costs the taxpayer and the economy more because we've moved yet another productive member of society into a position of dependence on the government.  The fact (yes, this is a fact) that the "land of the free" has the highest per capita incarceration rate of any country in the world disgusts me.  For more information see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate
That makes sense.  I'd say that prisons should be governmentally funded and owned for the reasons you mentioned then.
Pages:
Jump to: